Macy's

Macy's Reviews in Florida

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren

Terry J. Lundgren

Pros
  • The only "pro" about this job is the employee discount, but it isn't even that great (in 496 reviews)

• The company offers some flexibility in terms of work/life balance (in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't push their credit card down the customers throat you get fired (in 326 reviews)

• They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet (in 100 reviews)

More Highlights
232 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Macys experience

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Coral Springs, FL

ProsGreat helping clients (customers) and the ability to build a great communication with the staff. Discount was great and worked on everything!

ConsMacys focus was always on opening up Macys card which I hated to badger the customers with

Sales Associate-different departments as needed

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Sarasota, FL

ProsOur top Manager jumps in and WORKS the floor-I've seen her resetting displays, pushing a rack down the aisle, even help me rebalance a display rack so no injury occurs
    I feel like the Macy's staff is extended Family, some have promotion to another store-feel like I'm losing family.
    When have problem, manager in charge available for advice and comes to help

ConsRecovery-everyone expected to replace clothes to selling area, sounds easy, but when big sale times 4 or more go back racks. Never ending
    Times air is too warm-customers have complained hot in store. One customer commented trouble breathing
    Unable to sit during shift, would appreciate stool at register, feet get tired
    Expected to get credit cared application each day

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease-more recovery staff! After big sale can look like hurricane blew through.
    Realize cost containment-please lower air so customers can shop and breathe
    Remember that some people are strrugling to pay bills, others want "points" for travel

Customer's are great but managers are complete idiots

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsPay is fantastic.... I can sell and don't sleep on the job so I'm making minimum plus commission every week.
    Macy's customers are amazing. If you treat them with respect and good customer service they will buy from you.
    Scheduling is flexible and it's easy to pick up hours and give them up if needed.

ConsManagers at my store don't have a clue and don't answer the phone when you call them. I'm better off being my own manager.
    Store is disorganized and I'm having to carry the weight for those who don't do their jobs correctly.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrab the clue that's flying around and stop ignoring major issues.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's OK

Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) Wesley Chapel, FL

ProsEmployee discount with monthly "extra 10" and semi-annual extra 20, weekly paycheck, associates are great, opportunity to learn various merchandise, flexible hours, fair holiday pay policy,

ConsHourly pay rate is too low, commissioned associates hammered by returns, super small paycheck during slow retail times, non-responsive management, unrealistic new credit card goals, scheduling issues with "feast or famine" coverage on the floor, HR department can be difficult to deal with on the store level

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to what your emoployees are really saying - you spend a fortune on an annual engagement survey but don't really listen to associates during the feedback meetings.

amazing

Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) Miami, FL

Prosthe paycheck, employee discount, weekly checks, friendships with employees

Conscustomers were rude most of the time

Advice to Senior Managementthe upper management should be more acknowledging

One of the best US retailers

Sales Associate In Macy's (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsBeautiful environment and trendy merchandise, great employee discounts and good benefits. Gratis and commission for sales associates in fragrances/makeup department. Opportunity to get more hours and move from part/time to full/time when you work hard and make your sales goals and Star Rewards goals.

ConsHard to balance between family/private life and store/business requirements (lot of nights and weekends as well as no vacation during promotions in cosmetics/fragrances department and from November till middle of January). A lot of pressure and high expectations in sales and Star Rewards results. Very generous return policy for customers (can return used makeup/skincare and fragrances items) but it effects commission paid associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow your respect and work as a team with your sales associates. Use coaching, give realistic sales goals and train associates on every day base. Show your professionalism and experience when on the selling floor. Have an open door policy and show that you care about your associates problems and concerns.

Great People

Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) Port Charlotte, FL

ProsFlexible schedule and easy to schedule

ConsDress code all black is absurd

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate dress code

GREAT

Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) Sunrise, FL

Prosawesome boss, employee discounts, and a great environment

Consnothing really but inventory (which is just part of the job :)

Advice to Senior Managementemployee rewards based on sales (like a competition)

Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsI work at Macy's as a second part time job just for fun. The generous employee discount is a great incentive. The commission structure is complex and hard to understand but it sure is nice seeing the extra money in the pay check. Weekly pay is nice too!

ConsThere is a lot of turnover, even in management. I recently transferred to a signature department so I can't pick up shifts in other departments now. I really only want to work on weekends but the computer scheduling system doesn't allow you to select that choice. Lately I've been getting week night shifts that I have to find people to cover because it's just too much after I've worked 10 hours at my professional day job.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor the most part, I've had good experience with my managers. As I said before, there's a lot of turnover in management as they transfer to new stores when moving up in the company. I've learned not to get attached!

Department Sales Manager

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsGreat Associate Discount
    Great Advancement Opportunities
    Great Compensation at First but Hard to Get Raises
    Many Locations if you Want to Relocate

ConsSpread Very Thin
    No Room to Come up with Things on Your Own, Upper Management Tells You EVERYTHING to Do
    Very Long Hours
    Sometimes Unrealistic Sales Plan Expectations
    Asks Too Much From Sales Associates and Managers
    ZERO WORK LIFE BALANCE

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!