Macy's Reviews

Reset
3.1
Macy's Chairman & CEO Terry J. Lundgren
Terry J. Lundgren

Pros
  • 2- Employee discount (on top of store markdowns) is a wonderful thing (in 589 reviews)

• hours are balanced for work life balance (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance as the company struggles to compete with other stores by offering lame OneDay sales with peculiar hours (in 118 reviews)

• Morning meetings consisted of the store manager basically telling you to "push" store credit cards on customers (in 373 reviews)

1. Beauty Advisor

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The schedule allowed for me to go to school. My particular manager was able to work around my schedule and was very understanding. The discounts in store were really great while working there.

Cons

Depending on the team you work for, it can become very competitive. Occasionally, the coordinators for the line (or the executives) can become overwhelming and pushy, but you don't have to deal with them on a daily basis. Pay was not competitive.

Advice to Management

Definitely try to pay people what they are worth. Create a good environment for your employees. Cut down on behavioral issues by dealing with them early on.

2. Support Associate

Current Contractor - Support Associate in Glendale, CA
    Current Contractor - Support Associate in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Macy's as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I just started working there a few days ago and already witnessed pros and cons. Managers are really nice. They're usually the ones who greet you first and ask how are you doing as a new employee. Managers are helpful. As a new worker, they taught us how to use equipment for the job and any questions you usually have are answered. 15 minute breaks and an hour long lunch.

Cons

People who work there longer and before you tend to look down upon you and gossip. In the break room, a lot of the workers sit with their friends and tend to use their own language (Armenian) to talk about other people around them, leaving out workers who don't speak it or new workers isolated by themselves. Workers look down upon you

Advice to Management

Managers aren't always going to supervise you or other workers, as they are busy themselves doing business meetings and are usually in their own office instead of on the sales floor.

3. Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Glendale, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The environment. Employees were great to work with. My manager was very supportive. If you barley have any experience I would suggest this job because i have gained my communication skills and experience.

Cons

Pay is very little, you do more than what you get.

Advice to Management

If you do well in your sales and continue to open excessive macy's credit card accounts they will recognize your effort.

5. Managers and supervisor are concern about their worker .

Former Contractor - Seasonal Sales Associate in Glendale, CA
    Former Contractor - Seasonal Sales Associate in Glendale, CA

I worked at Macy's as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Co workers and managers are willing to teach you the proper thing to do and willing to share what they know.

Cons

During my stay as a seasonal employee I was not able to experience any bad things with the company

Advice to Management

Continue your good job that you always appreciate the big or small doing of your staff.

It's very annoying and hectic the managers are extremely rude

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They pay you weekly, the schedule is pretty flexible if you're on call. other than that i don't see many pros

Cons

it mega sucks! yo, the staff is very dry rude. even to the customers. i don't see why i would want to keep working here.

Advice to Management

fire yourselves

7. Unless you have a lot retail experience, don't work here.

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Was in an interesting area of the store. Liked making my own schedule.

Cons

No training, had to learn everything on my own which was fine since I learn well that way! Coworkers not helpful and would openly say "I am not helping you" and tried to steal commission.

Advice to Management

Even if it is a busy time of the year, please give feedback and here your employees side of the story. Also don't rely so much on peoples coworkers teaching them. They may be good sales people, but may be lousy teachers.

8. I felt that I was just another employee that they can swindle.

Former Employee - Recovery Position in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Recovery Position in Glendale, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You are able to slack off on the job, since there is no constant supervision.

Cons

Very few hours (max: 16 hrs per week) Managers make you feel awful about yourself. Don't accomodate to students that have class on Fridays and Saturdays. Hence, the reason why they layed me off. Don't train new employees properly.

Advice to Management

Visit the Macy's in the Glendale Galleria in Glendale, CA. Store is always flithy, and they don't train their new employees properly. I learned everything on my own, and from asking my co-workers.

9. good for a first job, not for full time.

Former Employee - Commission Sales Associate in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Commission Sales Associate in Glendale, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

fun environment - commission based sales in some departments

Cons

bad management that did not put employees first

10. Not Great, Not the Worst

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Glendale, CA

Pros

Decent employee discounts Usually open to flexible scheduling Some days they have double employee discount where you can get some items for 30-40% off

Cons

Pay is low, especially with the HECTIC holiday season Required to have 4 customers open macy's credit cards a week

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your employees. Just because you are high up and earning good money does not mean we deserve to be treated like we do not exist. You NEED US for your company to flourish.

Showing 9 of 7,542 reviews