Macy's

Macy's Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren

Terry J. Lundgren

Pros
  • The only "pro" about this job is the employee discount, but it isn't even that great(in 486 reviews)

• Work Life balance, advancement opportunities are a great part of Macy's(in 94 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't push their credit card down the customers throat you get fired(in 315 reviews)

• They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet(in 95 reviews)

187 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Sales Associate in Fragrances

Sales Associate (Former Employee) City of Industry, CA

ProsThe PTO and scheduling are very good for a retail position.

ConsNeed to work weekends and major holidays

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining and management were good, but they need to be more understanding of sale goals

Relaxed Environment. Flexible Hours. Good Retail Job.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Costa Mesa, CA

ProsFlexible Hours and Relaxed Environment

ConsEarly or Late Hours, Management Issues

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with your employees. Be on the floor. A leader shows his team and works with them. They don't just tell them what to do.

Retail sucks

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Downey, CA

Prosemployee discount, flexible schedule, okay starting pay and increase on a regular basis, opportunities to advance.

Consclothes everywhere, little recognitions, employees can be annoying depending the department you're in. For example, I was in the juniors department, one of the busiest in store due to everyone trying to dress young and trendy. Well since it's the most busy, you work with more employees and if they are young adults, it can be a lot of dram and hassle.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore recognition, and stop having playing favorites. super annoying when some girls dont do nothing and just stand there trying to be cute.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you don't want a job you can be truly happy at, then Macy's is for you.

Brand Specialist (Former Employee) Manhattan Beach, CA

ProsTrading work hours is simple. The managers I had were nice.

ConsThe pay. There were quite a few shady co-workers scamming the company which I learned through general work gossip. The turnover rate is really high because getting a job is easy but keeping it a long time and liking it is not.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse positive reinforcement to encourage sales goals.

It was a wonderful stepping stone for my career.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Newport Beach, CA

Prosfriendly environment, many hours, fun

Consno room for promotions, lack of growth

Advice to Senior Managementcommunicate with associates effectively

I was a macys employee

Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) Downey, CA

ProsI love the people I wirk with and the department I was in.

ConsManagement tend to have favorite employees. Instead of management treating their employees with respect they were get treated like trash. I got terminated just clocking an associate in, I didnt know it was company violation. I didnt even get a second chance. I told them I was ok by getting a warning but they said no, that they had to let me go. They tend to keep people that dont appreciate their job.
    I dont understand why they have "magic" training when management dont work their magic with the associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement need to be more professional

Strange Experience

Macy's Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) Costa Mesa, CA

ProsThe ability to create coupons on the register, this is shown but rarely do employees know how to use this properly and quickly. I cannot tell you the amount of times i had modified a coupon to where our customers felt as though they could add on last minute nearby items. Helping me achieve sales goals in no time. 20% discount when you use you macys red card only.

ConsVery strange people that work here, single guys, married women from other countries, student in college, and high school grads. Barely above minimum wage in orange county. The interview that gets you the job is quick and based mainly on availability to work evenings. Hours are anywhere from 3-9 hour shifts. Alot of advocacy not to join unions when you on-board, you will find out why this is if you are hired.
    The people that work there full-time use very strange sales tactics, Alot of this is how you handle interpersonal communication and if you can convince Japanese and European tourists to purchase more name brand items to up your daily sales goal, which during the holidays range from $500-$2000.
    The break room is nasty! During holidays there is one housekeeper for both mens and women's macys

Advice to Senior ManagementUse the title you have managers, and go work at Nordstroms or some other high-end retailer.
    You have talent, don't waste it here where you make 30grand a year.

Awesome job for a struggling students

Sales Associate (Former Employee) West Covina, CA

ProsI loved my schedule while working at Macy*s. They were very flexible with work hours and allow employees to swap and manage their own schedules online. I worked in the Women's shoe department as a sales associate and was able to make commission plus and hourly rate. I was making about $18/hour part time as a sales associate during my college years. Management was very involved in making employees feel prepared for work

ConsYou have to deal with a lot of customer returns and complaints. There is also very little incentive for the employees who work hard like I did. After working at Macy*s for 5+ years, all I got was a lousy $25 gift card to Macy's.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and figure out better employee incentive programs. I know that Nordstrom's hosts special sales and events for their top associates, which i was during my employment at Macy*s. I felt like upper management (not at the store level) needs to step in and take better care of their associates.

The management can definitely be improved

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Orange, CA

ProsThe scheduling flexibility. Being able to create your own schedule and pick up hours online. The training process was also great. Everything was well explained on the training videos such as the POS training.

ConsManagers are rarely to never visible to the employees. There are no set expectations with the regular employees except for reaching a sales goal (which is not that accurate because some can just stay in the register the whole shift and easily achieve it) and opening a macy's card. Therefore, the employees doesnt have a set level of accountability and pretty much do whatever they wish to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorking in a different retail company for more the 7 years as a supervisor has made compare what this company do differently than my previous job. The training was great and the scheduling flexibility is more than awesome. One thing I can suggest is to maybe change the structure of the management. As I said awhile ago, there are too many managers but they are rarely on the salesfloor to atleast follow up and set up expectations to the hourly associates. I would like to suggest to cut down the numbers of the managers and have some supervisors who can help develop regular employees, run the departments and set up expectations to the employees. This might be good not only for the stores, but also for the entire company because it can increase productivity and can lower the management cost , since supervisors get paid less than the managers. Working here for a few weeks, I have noticed that the regular employees comes to work and basically do whatever they want since there are no other expectations besides reaching a goal and opening a macy's card. The sales floor was very disorganized because there are no level of accountability to the regular employees coz no one follows up on them and tell them what to do or achieve in a regular basis. I believe that having someone to actually supervise them and work with them and be able to coach them regarding their performance can definitely increase productivity for the store and for the whole company. I have noticed some associate who loafs a lot and have been rude to the customers but the managers were not there to notice it to take the appropriate actions. This makes me think, how do the managers finds out which are the good employees and the bad ones? How do they determine who can excel and have the potential to grow in the company? To promote perhaps? I think that this company is great company but there are still a lot of room for improvement.

gained experience in retail

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Pasadena, CA

Prosyou gain experience in the retail field. some of your co workers become friends and family. even some customers become friends. I loved working in the department I was in (center core, handbags, fashion jewelry) my coworkers were great.
    I learned how to resize watch bands, even the brand merchandisers were impressed with how quickly I would adjust them.

Consat first you were able to pick up extra shifts, but then things changed and you had to go through the managers to check for extra hrs. I loved my department and the ladies I worked with, but sometimes I felt like the middle man.
    expect you to open a Macy's card, when almost everyone already has one.

Advice to Senior Managementif you expect your employees to follow the rules, then you should also follow too. Don't pick favorites, this isn't high school, this is some ones way of income. If an employee has told a customer "No" because its what the Policy is Please don't tell the associate "yes go ahead and change the price" just because you don't want to lose a customer. And EVERYONE has a Macy's card so it is HARD to get a person to open at every register that they walk up to.
    benefits for all employees, full time and part time, or at least give pt the option of benefits.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!