Macy's

Macy's Reviews in McLean, VA

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren

Terry J. Lundgren

Pros
  • The only "pro" about this job is the employee discount, but it isn't even that great(in 486 reviews)

• Work Life balance, advancement opportunities are a great part of Macy's(in 94 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't push their credit card down the customers throat you get fired(in 315 reviews)

• They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet(in 95 reviews)

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I like the ways we can communicate to each other.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsI like the environment, atmosphere and the system in general. The company gives us power and authority to handle the customer services

ConsSalary and commissions must be increased and time management and scheduling is the one of tour challenges as part-time employees.

Only as a last option

Sales Associate (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsFast and easy place to get a job.Helps to pay a few of the bills - very few. Allows time to job hunt. Employees get 20% discount in addition to coupon discounts on top of the sale price.

ConsDo all of the reviewers that raved about Macy's really exist? Not at my store! Low pay. Rude, unfriendly co-workers. Merchandise thrown everywhere. Unrealistic expectations. Clueless management. No real training. Inflexible HR. Mostly uneducated workforce. Constant turnover. Customer service = ringing up merchandise. Incentives are insulting. Misleading and meaningless coupons that anger customers

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a management class! Pay your employees a living wage. Train them thoroughly. Adequately staff your departments. Employ workers to hang up and return merchandise. Monitor items going into and coming out of dressing rooms. Spend time on the sales floor.

Extremely flexible company that has a lot of opportunities for full time employees

Sales Associate (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsGreat way to start if you're new in retail and want to get good at customer service

ConsPay is decent but not extremely well for a college student.

Advice to Senior ManagementPartial insurance for part time would be useful.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good experience overall working with cooperative management with friendly environment and reward programs

Sales Specialist (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsBenefits are good like insurance , 401 k , paid vocation

ConsCompensation is not competitive.

Great for the first 3 weeks and then horrible

Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsEmployee Discounts, Fair pay, willing to give a lot of hours, if you are willing to work hard they are willing to help you be better!

ConsUnethical Business in that they pressure employees to skip their breaks "No, you can't go on break even though you have been here 8 hours.", stay after their scheduled shift (And I don't mean "we really need help." or "Would you be willing?" it's "You may not leave." or "We have been here X amount of hours you can pull a few more.", and just generally treat their employees like crap.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!