Macy's Reviews in McLean, VA

4,885 Reviews

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren
Terry J. Lundgren
1,408 Ratings

Pros
  • the employee discount is good even though one must use their Macys card to get it (in 565 reviews)

• The company offers some flexibility in terms of work/life balance (in 103 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't push their credit card down the customers throat you get fired (in 358 reviews)

• They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet (in 108 reviews)

More Highlights

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in McLean, VA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people I work with can be really cool unless they are the type to get over on you because you are new.

Cons

Pushing sales, Managers that feel they need to prove something, and other workers that do not really like helping. After training they do not really help you out much they throw you right on the floor and leave you.

Some managers are really good, but some of them should not be managers because they barely know answers to questions, and they never answer their extensions.

Executive Development Program

Former Employee - Executive Development Program in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Executive Development Program in McLean, VA

I worked at Macy's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good starting pay, learned some valuable information, some of the Sale Associates are AWESOME, had some good manager friends at work and an AWESOME Assistant Store Manager.

Cons

If you are working at a BIG store... be prepared to throw your college education in the garbage. You will instantly be the cleaning lady/man. I had the Ready To Wear department (Women's clothing) and ALL I did was fold table, put away clothes, refold table...! During inventory... I worked 23 hours STRAIGHT and when I went to take a 10 minute break to grab food (because I felt like I was going to faint) my Store Manager gave me the WORST look.

... I do have to say... I transferred to different district (due to location) and am a Sales Manager at a smaller store and I my views I have had for Macy's have been starting to change. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my boss. He is an AWESOME guy who actually understands that we have a life other than retail and is a great mentor.

If you have been working at the same store for over 5 years and it STILL is terrible ... please do us all a favor and look for another job! Some of the upper management had been there for ages and were the WORST to work with.

If you are at a BIG store, please be DIRECT. No need for the fluff.

Pays some of the bills

Current Employee - Sales Associate in McLean, VA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employee discounts - but 20% discount does not apply to all departments.

Cons

Management does not care. Everyone is expendable. Department managers often refuse to handle difficult situations and are mad when actually have to come to help. Employees are rude to one another to the point of not acknowledging other employees when asking questions. Unrealistic demands and quotas.

Treat employees with respect. Listen to employees' concerns rather than viewing them as troublemakers. Look at why employee turnover is high. Training is incomplete at best. Stop telling employees that managers are there to help. Employees are not the enemy.

I like the ways we can communicate to each other.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in McLean, VA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I like the environment, atmosphere and the system in general. The company gives us power and authority to handle the customer services

Cons

Salary and commissions must be increased and time management and scheduling is the one of tour challenges as part-time employees.

Extremely flexible company that has a lot of opportunities for full time employees

Current Employee - Sales Associate in McLean, VA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great way to start if you're new in retail and want to get good at customer service

Cons

Pay is decent but not extremely well for a college student.

Partial insurance for part time would be useful.

Good experience overall working with cooperative management with friendly environment and reward programs

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in McLean, VA

I worked at Macy's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good like insurance , 401 k , paid vocation

Cons

Compensation is not competitive.

Great for the first 3 weeks and then horrible

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in McLean, VA

I worked at Macy's

Pros

Employee Discounts, Fair pay, willing to give a lot of hours, if you are willing to work hard they are willing to help you be better!

Cons

Unethical Business in that they pressure employees to skip their breaks "No, you can't go on break even though you have been here 8 hours.", stay after their scheduled shift (And I don't mean "we really need help." or "Would you be willing?" it's "You may not leave." or "We have been here X amount of hours you can pull a few more.", and just generally treat their employees like crap.