Macy's

Updated Jun 16, 2014

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren

Terry J. Lundgren

22 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A challenging but rewarding place to work. A company with solid core values.

District Manager (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsLots of opportunities to further your career. If you are mobile then the possibilities are endless. Stores and district offices are located in almost every state.

ConsRegardless of the company you work for the Retail business is very challenging especially during holiday and gift giving seasons. When most people are off celebrating the holiday's you are working very busy important selling days ... this makes work-life balance difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know the people who are working for you. Understand what makes them tic, where they live and what they like to do when not working for you. This will improve employee engagement and associate loyality to the company.

Great place to work.

Sales Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsWonderful atmosphere.
    Fellow employees are great.
    Management gives good space and also shows that they care about their employees.
    Daily morning rally.
    Weekly pay.

ConsYou need a credit card to get the employee discount (but who cares... if thats what I have to do for an extra 20% off)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

Painfully understaffed, poorly trained middle management

Sales Management (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsWorking with guests one on one, in an environment they come to because they want to.

ConsUnpredictable scheduling disguised as " your schedule your way". No rhyme or reason to personal daily goals. Impossible to audit associate statements or maintain control of employee number. As everyone has access to everyone's number. Manic, impromptu "coaching" from poorly trained management, whose only desire is to drive Star Reward applications.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevamp management interaction, coaching, mentoring procedures and processes. The current cookie cutter coaching binder / score card is a complete disconnect.
    Loss prevention is non-existent, no purses, coats, purchases etc on the floor. Sign in employee packages, basically take a page from Nordstrom. Your schedule your way is non functional, except in keeping salary expenses low, sales floor under staffed, management in a frantic state, ultimately creating a less than desirable client experience.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice people and Managers, but crazy holiday rushes

Temporary Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsThe supervisors and employees were very friendly. The break room was well furnished with a TV, a DVD player and DVDs, books, multiple vending machines and comfy chairs along with basic amenities. We even got free food some days! You could pick and choose your shifts with almost perfect flexibility (holidays were mandatory for me, a seasonal employee) and there were many opportunities to work.

ConsThe pay was minimum wage, the credit accounts you sold only got you a dollar per account opened (which was even taxed!) unless you opened like 30 in a month.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't really have any, the managers I had in the Men's department were very cordial and helpful! The pay was a bit low at minimum but I don't think it was unreasonable considering the entry-level position. Bonuses for credit accounts opened could use a big boost considering the interest earned. I suggest a fair share in the interest fees for the employee who opened the account.

You have to want it.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsYou have an opportunity to move up and around in this company quickly and easily. They've tried to make handling your schedule something simple and accessible. There is a ton of positive reinforcement and encouragement in the team.

ConsIf you're not interested in growing with this company, you could become very discouraged very fast. There is a lot of pressure to reach sales and credit goals and employees are often given more responsibilities without equivalent compensation. It will feel like 4 jobs for the pay of 1.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people to cover different jobs so that each person can focus on their duty or increase the minimum salary to reflect the workload of the employee.

Very good until it got bad, and then very bad.

Beauty Advisor (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsEasy to get hired, good environment to meet others.

ConsHR was hard to work with, inexperienced managers, discrimination with promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and take their concerns seriously. Advocate for them and take an interest, but don't ask too many details about their personal life unless it is offered.

Overall Satisfactory And Supportive Employer

District Planner (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

Proscompetitive salaries, manageable travel, knowledgeable and professional coworkers

ConsBenefits Package CoulD Be Better, No STock Options For District Executives

Disappointed.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsThey have a great discount for employees

ConsRude staff
    Lack of leadership
    Tiny and confusing store
    Small selection of clothing
    Outrageous prices

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nicer to people who go in for an interview. People don't like being made fun of for where their from.

Retail can be exciting but unfulfilling

Executive Development Program (Current Employee)

ProsFast paced
    Fun, diverse group of personalities to work with
    Rewarding if making sales goals

ConsMust take full responsibility for bad sales even for macro economic factors
    Must put on a face for the customer everyday

Advice to Senior ManagementHave clear expectations for all positions in the company

sales associate

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsFriendly and small company feel before they were bought out by Macy"s

ConsRefuse to rehire and not enough hours to supplement your income.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are wasting corporate money by not rehiring. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macy's reviews and ratings in Portland, OR — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Macy's CEO Terry J. Lundgren. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by Macy's employees.