Macy's Reviews

4,532 Reviews

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren
Terry J. Lundgren
1,303 Ratings

Pros
  • The only "pro" about this job is the employee discount, but it isn't even that great (in 496 reviews)

• The company offers some flexibility in terms of work/life balance (in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't push their credit card down the customers throat you get fired (in 326 reviews)

• They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet (in 100 reviews)

More Highlights

The *FLAG SHIP* of "ALL" Retail Outlets

Former Employee - Retail Support Associate  in  Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Support Associate in Burbank, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time for more than a year

Pros

The way Macy's has set up their work schedule , by letting people bit on each others schedule if for a case of emergency you need the day off is the absolute best system I've ever experienced.

Cons

It's very hard to actually land a FULL-TIME job here at Macy's. But I love everything about Macy's and thats why this is my 3rd consecutive year as a temporary holiday help store associate.

None to offer other than that I wish I could get a Permanent Part-Time position with this company. I would b a great investment.

Great company

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

Great discount
    Good well known company

Cons

Hard to get promoted at some locations

An Ok Retail Job

Former Employee - Sales Associate - Women's Shoes  in  Hanover, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate - Women's Shoes in Hanover, MA

I worked at Macy's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked in the women's shoes department, as a commissioned salesperson, for about 3 years. I thought the pay was decent ($9.00/hour + 10% commission after draw... in my case this meant I made 10% on everything I sold past the $100 mark each hour). This turned out to be pretty decent, averaging (annually) to about $50 in commission each week (I worked about 20 hours per week). I did not work in a busy store. I liked the generous employee discount, along with special employee coupons, sales events, and reward money, and their allowance of employees to use some customer coupons. They give you your work schedule 2-3 weeks in advance. They also offer insurance, even to part time workers.

Overall, Macy*s is not a bad company to work for in terms of low-skill, lower pay jobs (which is why I stayed there for so long). I've had other retail jobs, and trust me, you could do a lot worse!

Cons

Here are the things I did not like though: they make you push the Macy*s credit card, to every customer. You are expected to get a certain number of people to sign up each week, and you will be pulled aside if you do not reach those goals to talk about improvement. This is a sore spot for me, because customers do not like to be heckled about opening a card, and you are obligated to present a hard sale. Speaking of hard sale, another thing that rubbed me the wrong way was that the company had a policy where for every 1 shoe a customer asked for, I had to bring them out 2 more that they did not ask for. Again, these kinds of hard sale tactics made me feel uncomfortable, and I mostly disregarded them unless a manager was watching. Macy*s cares more about selling than about customer care (not a shocking thing in the world of retail, but still something you should consider when determining if this is the right job for you). Be aware that sales are your number one goal, and not just for commissioned workers: to the point where your sales numbers (both the dollar amounts and the number of credit cards you sell) will be posted on a wall each week along with your co-workers, with people at the bottom and top of the list highlighted for all employees to see.

Managent has a problem with connecting to employees in real and meaningful ways (such as talking to you about how you can increase customer satisfaction or how you can complete certain tasks more efficiently). They constantly place new requirements on you in terms of sales tactics, but do not review with you the validity or supposed effectiveness of these methods. At times I felt like we were just conducting a bunch of experiments, at the expense of our customers (again, how would you feel if you asked for 2 pairs of shoes, and I returned to you with 6 pairs?? I'm guessing you'd be a little turned off, to say the least).

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An Honest Review

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Macy's part-time for more than a year

Pros

I really enjoyed working at my store. Your experience will greatly depends on the store, management and other employees. There are several different opportunities for you to earn some extra store credit and personally I found the competition a bit fun. The job is pretty easy and lenient and most customers are great to work with.

Cons

About half of the employees act like it is the worst freaking job in the world. They constantly have an attitude with customers and other employees. Everything is an inconvenience. Honestly if you don't sit there and whine the job is pretty awesome. Full time can be a tad more competitive with opening cards and I constantly had Full Time employees come up to me in front of customers and tell me to ring the sell up under their name. Besides that the scheduling is a bit wonky. It's completely random which for me personally didn't bother me but was inconvenient for most. When I attempted to transfer to a different location however that Macy's never called me back. I walked in, I called, and they didn't even have the respect to call me back and say they had no opportunities which they originally told me they had. I went from loving my job to resenting it. It just makes you learn it really depends on which location you work at whether you will love or hate it. I stopped trying to transfer because I realized the new store was not the place for me.

14 years of visual merchandise management

Current Employee - Group Sales Manager  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Group Sales Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Macy's full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good pay, forward thinking company

Cons

Room to grow, but narrow as internet sales grow footprint

none

great

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

great place to work and store management is very supportive and good benefits and good working schedule and good training programs.

Cons

i did not find any challenges working at macys. they are a supportive company that assist you when needed.

Loss Prevention Detective-Experienced

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Detective  in  Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Detective in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Macy's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice PTO availability, decent benefits, good schedule flexibility for retail, occasional opportunities to earn overtime.

Cons

Management is weak and communication is poor. I had an ongoing problem and rather than address the situation I was told to fix it and my raise was affected because I had not been told to fix it beforehand.

Provide ongoing training. Don't expect someone just coming in the door to "get it" without telling them how they are supposed to go about it. first.

Great opportunity for advancement

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Macy's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Advancement, relocation opportunities across the US

Cons

Retail hours can be long and random

GREAT!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Awesome team, enjoyed the discount, had fun working there.

Cons

Have a sales Quote to meet

interview

Current Employee - Sales  in  Ti, OK
    Current Employee - Sales in Ti, OK

I have been working at Macy's part-time for less than a year

Pros

very kind and polite and clear

Cons

not high pay, raise by 1 dollar

raise your pay a little

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!