Macy's Reviews

Reset
Macy's Chairman & CEO Terry J. Lundgren
Terry J. Lundgren
2,103 Ratings

Pros
  • 2- Employee discount (on top of store markdowns) is a wonderful thing (in 589 reviews)

• hours are balanced for work life balance (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance as the company struggles to compete with other stores by offering lame OneDay sales with peculiar hours (in 118 reviews)

• Morning meetings consisted of the store manager basically telling you to "push" store credit cards on customers (in 373 reviews)

7,046 Employee Reviews

Retail Sales Associate - Read this if you're interested or recently already got a job as a sales associate at Macy's

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) Flexible Scheduling - If you were scheduled a shift that you can't do (drops down 3 or 4 weeks of work schedule), you can advertise your shift but you have to do it right away so other associates that wants to pick-up hours can take that shift and you'll be clear of that shift. I say do it ASAP because if you do it later then nobody would want to pick up a last minute shift 2) Pick-up shifts - Okay listen carefully! Shifts drops down EVERY friday but the picking up is Saturday. The executive office will tell you that you're allowed to start picking up Sunday morning. From experience and other associates telling me, you can start picking up Saturday at 7am SHARP. Be ready at 6:59am. Open/available shifts comes from the office (due to big sale events, they need more than usual associates working) AND from full time associates. They get their schedule AND advertise/pick-up shifts on the same day. So they get to advertise their shifts early bird style. 3) Part-time Options - There are 5 different types of part-time option: Option 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. I'm not really familiar with Option 1 or 2. Option 5 gets 3-8 hours, Option 4 gets 12-20 hours, Option 1 and maybe 2 are full time which gets 32-38 hours. NOTE: The minimum to maximum hours for each option will be the scheduled shifts. The only way for you to get MORE hours is when you pick up later on. AND during the holidays of course. For example: As an option 5 you'll be scheduled 5 hours. When its time to pick up you, picked up, let's say, 9:45am-1:45pm (4 hours). So add that to your scheduled hours for that week, you have 9 hours. It's not a lot but thats why you gotta be a pro at picking up shifts. Holidays will do you good. 4) Pay Frequency - Weekly! 5) Associates/Co-workers - You will meet friends along the way. You'll see the good and the bad. You'll see who you get along with, stick with them. And stay away from those ones with nasty attitude. 6) Good for people starting out in retail. You will really learn a lot. 7) More hours Opportunity - I'm not really sure if this falls under pros or cons but I'll mention this anyway. Sometimes the store will be short on associates (called out, left early, etc.) and the managers will ask their associates on the floor if they would like to stay until a certain time. I said I wasn't sure if this was good or bad only because some people like the extra hours AND some probably already worked a long day and they don't want to stay any longer for that day. Oh and some has plans after their shift. Sometimes though it gets annoying, people just wanna go home and rest you know. 8) Associate Discount - it's okay. It has its perks

Cons

1) Minimum wage. You'll probably get a small raise later maybe a year or two. But it's not much of a raise, a couple cents. 2) "Sales Associate" - You pretty much do everything. You ring on the register, do returns, check fitting rooms, put back clothes. There are some days when you're the only one working in one department and it's not busy at all, and you'd go to the fitting rooms to check. I swear everytime I leave the service desk to do that, a customer will always show up when I'm not there. Really?? When you get out of the fitting room you see them and you have to run to them before they get impatient and leave. 3) Catty associates - The full time associates that have been working there for ages (literally like 20 years or something) are very very protective and competitive over their sales goal. If there is a full time and a part time scheduled for one department (1 service desk with 2 registers maybe) you sure as hell bet that the full time will stay and hog the register while you have to put stuff back. My advice: Don't let them step all over you! They have goals to make, but so do you! If they ever tell you that they have to make their sales goal because they're full time, tell them that you do too! It's not always like this with every single associate. With the people I worked and got along with we took turns because we know how competitive ringing goes around. We helped each other out. I hope the same goes for you. 4) Opening a credit - As a Macy's Retail Sales Associate, you are required to open credits - which is part of the job so it's fine. BUT the part that is not fine is when the managers constantly remind and tell you to open credits as they walk around the store and they see you. It's okay to tell me once or twice about it but it's NOT okay when you shove it down my throat. I know I have to get credits but you don't have to tell me like I'm deaf or disabled. Managers can sometimes make you feel like you're not trying your best with opening it, in other words, incompetent. It has great incentives, don't get me wrong. But please, ease on with the nagging. We're trying our best but not everyone wants to open one for reasons such as: bad credit, closed macys card to decrease payments/interest fee, not interested in opening one at all! 5) Department assignment - Be careful on which departments you pick up when you try to get hours. Other departments are the best but some are just so boring and dead. My only advice is to keep yourself busy even if it's something you don't want to do. At least you're doing something. 6) For people who wants to gain retail experience and some cash, this is the place for you. BUT if you want to make this your career, there's no future here for you. Some associates (mostly full time) have been here for the longest time and this is the only job for them, so just understand when they get too competitive or catty with ringing people out - that's pretty much their life. 7) Easily burn out! - Take a day off or two, you will need it. Bottom line: Every company/employer has its pros and cons, but don't be discouraged. A good work experience is great for future jobs. Remember, work is work. You can't be picky. Overall, Macy's is alright.

Advice to Management

No. I'm not going to tell YOU how to do your job. It is your responsibility to look into things or situations that needs improvement. You should know what they are IF you really do pay attention to your associates.

Why Macy's?

I worked at Macy's

Pros

The only reason that someone should stay at Macy's is because of the management. They have very great management system. They are caring, and understanding. You can pick up shifts as many as you want. Even to 50 something hours a week. You will have your own freedom when to go to lunch or dinner. You will get points but being punctual and lose but not being one. You will earn PTO eveb as a part time employee. And it is very easy to get promoted if you are a very determind, and driven person.

Cons

Most of the good benefits starts if you work constantly above certain jours, like insurance. Tuition reimbursment, and etc..

3. Macy's Exec

Former Employee - ASTS in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - ASTS in Troy, MI

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work and learn. Plenty of ongoing training and career development.

Cons

Overtime was not allowed; in this job overtime was sometimes needed. Disciplinary action (or fear of) made this awkward.

Advice to Management

Listen just a little closer when managers are giving feedback. There is always some truth buried in what looks like a complaint!

Sales Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good pay, fun environment, continued job development, good benefits, good discounts

Cons

Management at my particular store liked to tell you what to do but did nothing when I came to them and told them i was struggling. I didn't want them to do the work for me, but I was looking for their advice and collaboration on coming up with a plan to get the results that they wanted.

Advice to Management

Be there for your team, assist in helping them get where you want to be by being a mentor not just a shot caller.

6. Guest Services

I worked at Macy's

Pros

Working for Macy's was a great experienced interacting with new people, love to see how a guest day went . The best reasons why I worked there because my co-workers were phenomenal people that when we all walked in the building we would have group meeting before opening the doors just influencing and making everyone feel like they matter in the world .Great Company.

Cons

The downside of working for Macy's is knowing that every guest might not be in a exact good mood coming in everyday .Especially when you have a guest that's disrespectful and wants to ruin your day that's when your instincts kick and let them know that your here to help them and guide them to were they need to be or give information they need so they can be happy in the end that I didn't have to go there with them just make the customers happy is all that needs to be done.

Advice to Management

Every manger I different I can take criticism on my work ethic ,letting me know what I need to do better to improve myself.

7. Macy's Stores

I worked at Macy's part-time

Pros

The best reason to work with Macy's is that there is no discrimination between the employees. Everyone feels comfortable in Macy's.

Cons

The work day is always busy. There are not enough workers for the job that needs to be done. Sometimes the working hours for part-time employees have been reduced to minimum or 12 hr. per week, and the salary is just not enough.

8. Full time

I worked at Macy's

Pros

Great place to work Hours

Cons

commision makes for too much drama

9. Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, NJ

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

Macy's is a great place for young people to start working at.

Cons

You may make get a lot of hours

Advice to Management

None

10. Temporary job

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I worked at Macy's

Pros

Training is great and the managers are awesome

Cons

Very few hours and commission wasn't good at all

Advice to Management

Hire less cashiers and more personnel to merchandise and do go backs. Better hourly rate pay.

11. Counter. Manager

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Meriden, CT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Meriden, CT

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You learn alot,great standards,good associates, Love the customers, some are different! We have the tools to please the customers And the associates.

Cons

Management does not recognize or know the associates they have. They don't practice Macy's Talent, they go by their paper reports or a senior clique' '' Don't get me started on the counter coordinator and executive! At least these are !!!, Not all of them are, its the people in this store! The Company Macy's is wonderful,it has given me unlimited opportunities, but the people that runs this one ,dont practice Macy's Protocol! ,,

Advice to Management

Appreciate your associate Watch your managers and account coordinator and account executive, You have talent there, all it takes is...guidance,coaching,direction,a little molding/polshing....you know just the same way.,when you all started ! Remember...?

Showing 7,046 of 7,174 reviews