Macy's Reviews

4,509 Reviews

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren
Terry J. Lundgren
1,296 Ratings

Pros
  • The only "pro" about this job is the employee discount, but it isn't even that great (in 496 reviews)

• The company offers some flexibility in terms of work/life balance (in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't push their credit card down the customers throat you get fired (in 326 reviews)

• They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet (in 100 reviews)

More Highlights

An Honest Review

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Macy's part-time for more than a year

Pros

I really enjoyed working at my store. Your experience will greatly depends on the store, management and other employees. There are several different opportunities for you to earn some extra store credit and personally I found the competition a bit fun. The job is pretty easy and lenient and most customers are great to work with.

Cons

About half of the employees act like it is the worst freaking job in the world. They constantly have an attitude with customers and other employees. Everything is an inconvenience. Honestly if you don't sit there and whine the job is pretty awesome. Full time can be a tad more competitive with opening cards and I constantly had Full Time employees come up to me in front of customers and tell me to ring the sell up under their name. Besides that the scheduling is a bit wonky. It's completely random which for me personally didn't bother me but was inconvenient for most. When I attempted to transfer to a different location however that Macy's never called me back. I walked in, I called, and they didn't even have the respect to call me back and say they had no opportunities which they originally told me they had. I went from loving my job to resenting it. It just makes you learn it really depends on which location you work at whether you will love or hate it. I stopped trying to transfer because I realized the new store was not the place for me.

Great company

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

Great discount
    Good well known company

Cons

Hard to get promoted at some locations

The *FLAG SHIP* of "ALL" Retail Outlets

Former Employee - Retail Support Associate  in  Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Support Associate in Burbank, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time for more than a year

Pros

The way Macy's has set up their work schedule , by letting people bit on each others schedule if for a case of emergency you need the day off is the absolute best system I've ever experienced.

Cons

It's very hard to actually land a FULL-TIME job here at Macy's. But I love everything about Macy's and thats why this is my 3rd consecutive year as a temporary holiday help store associate.

None to offer other than that I wish I could get a Permanent Part-Time position with this company. I would b a great investment.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Low Pay

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Macy's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have worked there from the age of 18 to 22 and enjoyed the employee discount on clothing. That said, no young person should stay here for that long as I found my temporary position was slowly taking a permanent form. Don't make the same mistake I did by staying there long and go back to college and get a degree! Before the recession, the location was bustling and there were tons of customers, if you tend to fear crowds, you'd be better off choosing a more remote/not as popular location.

Cons

I started in 2005 with a pay of $8 and, later, I was receiving $12.50. I was not on commission.
    Managers changed about 5 times and each had their own idea of how to meet the department goals which were opening customer credit cards, meeting sales goals etc.
    My least favorite part was pushing people to get a store credit card ("The Loyalty Program").
    Another con would be the number of rude customers, there was always at least one a day who would want to return a stinky, dirty worn piece of clothing. Some were very condescending- I have to say, if you don't have a thick skin/maturity yet, be extremely polite and refer clients like that to the manager.

Be more human- stop with aggressive credit card opening pushing.

great

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

great place to work and store management is very supportive and good benefits and good working schedule and good training programs.

Cons

i did not find any challenges working at macys. they are a supportive company that assist you when needed.

I had a wonderful experience working for this company.

I worked at Macy's

Pros

An excellent staff, plenty of room for advancement for the right person, and a lot of great career opportunities.

Cons

I found that, at first, getting used to the 'office politics' was kind of tough. But after a short while the majority of the staff was very welcoming and accepting of me.

You have all done a magnificent job in maintaining morale. I truly appreciate the opportunity to work with many of you in the past. Though my previous supervisor was very difficult to work for that, in no way, reflects upon any of the rest of you. Thank you for everything and keep doing what you're doing.

Great Company to work for.

I have been working at Macy's part-time

Pros

Flexible shifts that can be picked up in other departments, aside from your hiring department.

Cons

Always standing. Always on your feet.

An Ok Retail Job

Former Employee - Sales Associate - Women's Shoes  in  Hanover, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate - Women's Shoes in Hanover, MA

I worked at Macy's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked in the women's shoes department, as a commissioned salesperson, for about 3 years. I thought the pay was decent ($9.00/hour + 10% commission after draw... in my case this meant I made 10% on everything I sold past the $100 mark each hour). This turned out to be pretty decent, averaging (annually) to about $50 in commission each week (I worked about 20 hours per week). I did not work in a busy store. I liked the generous employee discount, along with special employee coupons, sales events, and reward money, and their allowance of employees to use some customer coupons. They give you your work schedule 2-3 weeks in advance. They also offer insurance, even to part time workers.

Overall, Macy*s is not a bad company to work for in terms of low-skill, lower pay jobs (which is why I stayed there for so long). I've had other retail jobs, and trust me, you could do a lot worse!

Cons

Here are the things I did not like though: they make you push the Macy*s credit card, to every customer. You are expected to get a certain number of people to sign up each week, and you will be pulled aside if you do not reach those goals to talk about improvement. This is a sore spot for me, because customers do not like to be heckled about opening a card, and you are obligated to present a hard sale. Speaking of hard sale, another thing that rubbed me the wrong way was that the company had a policy where for every 1 shoe a customer asked for, I had to bring them out 2 more that they did not ask for. Again, these kinds of hard sale tactics made me feel uncomfortable, and I mostly disregarded them unless a manager was watching. Macy*s cares more about selling than about customer care (not a shocking thing in the world of retail, but still something you should consider when determining if this is the right job for you). Be aware that sales are your number one goal, and not just for commissioned workers: to the point where your sales numbers (both the dollar amounts and the number of credit cards you sell) will be posted on a wall each week along with your co-workers, with people at the bottom and top of the list highlighted for all employees to see.

Managent has a problem with connecting to employees in real and meaningful ways (such as talking to you about how you can increase customer satisfaction or how you can complete certain tasks more efficiently). They constantly place new requirements on you in terms of sales tactics, but do not review with you the validity or supposed effectiveness of these methods. At times I felt like we were just conducting a bunch of experiments, at the expense of our customers (again, how would you feel if you asked for 2 pairs of shoes, and I returned to you with 6 pairs?? I'm guessing you'd be a little turned off, to say the least).

.....

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

Good place to work at for cash. Hires on the spot.

Cons

No room for growth in company I believe.

.....

Good experience, it's retail folks!

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate  in  Tigard, OR
    Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Tigard, OR

I worked at Macy's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The customers are great! I earned commission which was a nice incentive. Benefits were good as well. Scheduling I like, but many didn't.

Cons

Working until 2am on Dec.23! Management varied immensely, some we're outstanding while others were useless and rude! They are now pushing clientele sales, which I see the benefits but management wants quantity verses the quality they asked for in traIning.

Jump in once in a while. Smile, you should lead by example. Very few managers coach, which is odd since that is such a focus of the company.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!