Macy's

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren

Terry J. Lundgren

(1,187 ratings)

4,180 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "The only "pro" about this job is the employee discount, but it isn't even that great"
    in 455 reviews
  • "Work Life balance, advancement opportunities are a great part of Macy's"
    in 90 reviews
Cons:
  • "Employee discount is only redeemed by using your Macy's credit card"
    in 295 reviews
  • "Varies store to store, but Macy's has very little consideration for work-life balance"
    in 88 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Macys of St.Peters

Retail Sales Associate, Part Time (Current Employee)
    Saint Peters, MO

ProsGet to schedule, Pick up or change shifts through system.

ConsNever get promoted or raise, been there over a year

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from with in , instead of from other companies.

Awesome job for a struggling students

West Covina, CA

ProsI loved my schedule while working at Macy*s. They were very flexible with work hours and allow employees to swap and manage their own schedules online. I worked in the Women's shoe department as a sales associate and was able to make commission plus and hourly rate. I was making about $18/hour part time as a sales associate during my college years. Management was very involved in making employees feel prepared for work

ConsYou have to deal with a lot of customer returns and complaints. There is also very little incentive for the employees who work hard like I did. After working at Macy*s for 5+ years, all I got was a lousy $25 gift card to Macy's.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and figure out better employee incentive programs. I know that Nordstrom's hosts special sales and events for their top associates, which i was during my employment at Macy*s. I felt like upper management (not at the store level) needs to step in and take better care of their associates.

Sales Associate in Fragrances

City of Industry, CA

ProsThe PTO and scheduling are very good for a retail position.

ConsNeed to work weekends and major holidays

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining and management were good, but they need to be more understanding of sale goals

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

excellent culture, and ability to grow for qualified candidates

Prosthe people are amazing ....

Consthe hours and customers can sometimes pose a challenge

Great place for semi-luxury products at good prices

Sales Associate/Specialist (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

Prosschedule can be very flexible. depending on what status you are (full-time, part-time) you can pick up, switch and give away hours. rewarded for opening up credit loyalties.

Consattendance is on a points scale. too easy to lose points, don't earn points quick enough. can be a problem if you're commute is more than 30 miles like mine.

One of the best US retailers

Sales Associate In Macy's (Former Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsBeautiful environment and trendy merchandise, great employee discounts and good benefits. Gratis and commission for sales associates in fragrances/makeup department. Opportunity to get more hours and move from part/time to full/time when you work hard and make your sales goals and Star Rewards goals.

ConsHard to balance between family/private life and store/business requirements (lot of nights and weekends as well as no vacation during promotions in cosmetics/fragrances department and from November till middle of January). A lot of pressure and high expectations in sales and Star Rewards results. Very generous return policy for customers (can return used makeup/skincare and fragrances items) but it effects commission paid associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow your respect and work as a team with your sales associates. Use coaching, give realistic sales goals and train associates on every day base. Show your professionalism and experience when on the selling floor. Have an open door policy and show that you care about your associates problems and concerns.

Overall,a great company to work for!

ProsI love the people I work with,and the managers are all pretty awesome. Making/adjusting your own schedule is definitely a plus.

ConsYou only get paid $8/hour and,as a single mom,I'd like to work hours closer to 9-5,but that's the retail industry for ya.

Good discount and benefits, but managers don't manage properly

Aurora, IL

Pros20% Discount, Macy's Money is great, ability to switch shifts easily, some great co-workers

ConsManagers focus on the wrong things, customers can be awful, lazy co-workers, lack of upward mobility

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers need to be realistic with credit goals--we can't open new accounts when no one is in the store. Managers seemed MIA for many of my shifts, didn't make sure everyone was pulling their weight

Served its purpose

Chesterfield, MO

ProsThe 20% discount is ok but nothing special.
    The scheduling is very flexible as it is all done online.
    Not very labor intensive

ConsBeing payed minimum wage is never any fun and it's a very stern environment to work in. I felt like I was always looking over my shoulder.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest working on the friendly atmosphere and offering better sales incentives.

Lots of opportunity but super stressful job

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits and a lot of opportunity for those who want to grow with the company.

ConsEvery year, more keeps getting added to the plate. You're expected to complete miracles on a daily basis. The pay structure is also completely unbalanced and they don't value experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the customer surveys and Magic scores. It's ridiculous and for the most part out of our control.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macy's reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Macy's CEO Terry J. Lundgren. All 4,180 reviews posted anonymously by Macy's employees.