Macy's Reviews

4,628 Reviews

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren
Terry J. Lundgren
1,332 Ratings

Pros
  • The only "pro" about this job is the employee discount, but it isn't even that great (in 496 reviews)

• The company offers some flexibility in terms of work/life balance (in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't push their credit card down the customers throat you get fired (in 326 reviews)

• They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet (in 100 reviews)

More Highlights

Macys West

Former Employee - Division Control Manager for MW  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Division Control Manager for MW in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Promotions offered from within. Training offered for each position. Excellent team of leaders proficient in their fields. There was a strong sense of team play. Compensation was fair for the market place.

Cons

no real cons! Macy's encouraged creative problem solvers. Projects were financed based on providing high levels of customer service. HR maitained an open door policy.

Maintain investment in company associates.

Store Management Intern

Former Employee - Store Management  in  Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Store Management in Dublin, OH

I worked at Macy's as an intern for less than a year

Pros

-A very broad and enriching experience
    -Given crucial store operations responsibilities

Cons

-Long hours
    -You get thrown into the fire fast

Increase the internship from 8 weeks to 10 weeks

Holiday worker, good job with good pay...great experience

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser  in  Short Hills, NJ
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Short Hills, NJ

I worked at Macy's as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Discounts. Wore all black. Decent pay. Great benefits.

Cons

Favoritism! There was alot of favoritism at this location at the time.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Better than most part-time jobs

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Champaign, IL

I have been working at Macy's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Can work in different departments other than your assigned department, very easy online scheduling system, plenty of other employees to pick up your shifts, part-time can work up to 30 hours a week

Cons

difficult to get ahold of managers, sometimes would have to wait for a long time with a customer for a manager and customers would grow impatient, not much training for new hires (learn as you go)

be aware of where the newer employees are and try to be reachable to them because they will have the most questions and issues with the system

I like working in retail, I enjoy helping most customers.

I have been working at Macy's part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Discount and you're able to find good deals on merchandise. If you like dealing with most people in the public it is a nice way to do so.

Cons

They expect you to be available for key days but they do not give you enough hours otherwise. Management does not see who really does the hard work, they only reward those who open credit cards and have high sales. Those people do not do ANY of the recovery, housekeeping tasks, or stock work and leave everything for the REAL workers to take care of who's sales then suffer as a result of doing ALL the stock work or recovery, also managers never seem to help with any of the endless recovery in clothing areas, (esp. the store manager), if they want the employees to do this endless task then they should be helping and setting an example instead of thinking they are above it. They push you to add clientele and do constant presales which affect your daily sales goals, they are only interested in the stores numbers looking good for corporate and don't really care about the whole picture. The return policy is ridiculous, if they think it builds customer loyalty they are SO wrong, it creates many customers who just take advantage of the policy and laugh their way out of the store as they have basically used our merchandise for whatever they needed it for and then returned it (I would say it's a legal form of theft), these are not the customers a successful store needs or should want. They seem to think it is a smart business idea to let people pick up shifts in other areas (full timers get first dibs) instead of letting people with much experience and product knowledge work in their home area and think customers won't notice, they notice and even though most won't complain they just won't shop in the store, if you don't have any loyalty to a dept. you are not invested in it's success. They like to think they value employees opinions because they do a survey every year but they really do not want to hear what we really feel, if they know their employees really they could go to the ones who are not just complainers but really want the store to be better and ask us what we think, and when they kind of do this at round table meetings they shoot down everything brought up.

Really know which of your employees work hard and start showing some appreciation to them especially in front of those who only make sales and credit goals, it's easy to make those goals if you do not do any of the other hard work. Pitch in and help more and don't be punitive to people who make constructive suggestions.

supervisor

Former Employee - Sales Supervisor  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in New York, NY

I worked at Macy's for less than a year

Pros

great pay great people to work with

Cons

wasn't told when my last day was until the day before very unprofessional.

Temps should not be excluded from management team

They don't pay enough for the service they want

Current Employee - Shoe Expeditor  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Shoe Expeditor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Macy's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discounts and sales and discounts on Starbucks

Cons

Very busy and macys expect so much and want to pay you a little bit

Good store

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Macy's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Discounts, good products, and friendly co workers.

Cons

Not enough hours, and you have to have minimum sale.

To hire more people but then give equal hours.

A great place to start but not to stay

I have been working at Macy's part-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a lot of things to do and the people are friendly usually. There is always work if you do work.

Cons

There is a lot of repetition after a while of working there and everything is driven by numbers rather than the actual situations. With that being said, it may be difficult to gain hours even with a large amount of work.

Please better vet who you higher to oversee operations.

Jawbone Customer Care

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Macy's full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a nice facility for a call center

Cons

Terrible communication: No one knows what is going on or what to tell new hires. As new hires, we were in a 2 week training class for 4 weeks. I was never told who my supervisor was or get "phone certified" before they through me into a "graduation" . Terrible training: Trainers were never on the same page. Trainers were barely even in the room. They never set an expectation on what was to happen next. They went very far out of their way to ignore me when I needed assistance. Terrible planning

Redo your entire training program. Hire better trainers or stick them in a class on how to train people.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!