Macy's Reviews

4,902 Reviews

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren
Terry J. Lundgren
1,415 Ratings

Pros
  • the employee discount is good even though one must use their Macys card to get it (in 568 reviews)

• The company offers some flexibility in terms of work/life balance (in 105 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a great deal of pressure to sell Macy's credit cards to customers (in 362 reviews)

• They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet (in 109 reviews)

More Highlights

It could be worse

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Macy's full-time

Pros

Great relationships with the majority of the people that I work with at my store; Employee Discount and knowing the best prices; Great relationship with my boss (the assistant store manager); Full time benefits are decent; Started with 15 days PTO

Cons

Company Values!!! I no longer feel that my values and my belief system line up with those of Macy's. Lots and lots of politics involved. Upper management, meaning at the district, regional, and national level, seem to have minimal understanding of how their stores ACTUALLY run. We are told to lie and pretend everything is going great even though it is a constant struggle to get our work done and to reach their unrealistic expectations. The stores are extremely understaffed, in every aspect and department. I could go on and on but mainly I am unhappy with the way upper management takes advantage of it's employees, not only on the front lines, but on every level. We are shown videos and told constantly by district, regional, and national executives that Macy's is extremely successful and continues to grow more and more every year. However, resources are constantly being downsized, budget cuts are made almost monthly, and employees are expected to pick up the slack with no reward or appreciation for doing so. There is a huge lack of trust between employees and upper management. Many employees feel that upper management couldn't care less about them - which is appears mostly true. This is probably the reason turnover is EXTREMELY high.

Treat your employees better. Recognize them, reward them, and respect them. If they're happy, your customers will be happy. Squeezing everything you can out of your employees with minimal compensation and appreciation will only bring success in the short term. Developing their trust and their happiness is more difficult and takes longer to achieve, but will bring prosperity in the long run.

Retail Sales Associate - Read this if you're interested or recently already got a job as a sales associate at Macy's

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Macy's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

1) Flexible Scheduling - If you were scheduled a shift that you can't do (drops down 3 or 4 weeks of work schedule), you can advertise your shift but you have to do it right away so other associates that wants to pick-up hours can take that shift and you'll be clear of that shift. I say do it ASAP because if you do it later then nobody would want to pick up a last minute shift
    2) Pick-up shifts - Okay listen carefully! Shifts drops down EVERY friday but the picking up is Saturday. The executive office will tell you that you're allowed to start picking up Sunday morning. From experience and other associates telling me, you can start picking up Saturday at 7am SHARP. Be ready at 6:59am. Open/available shifts comes from the office (due to big sale events, they need more than usual associates working) AND from full time associates. They get their schedule AND advertise/pick-up shifts on the same day. So they get to advertise their shifts early bird style.
    3) Part-time Options - There are 5 different types of part-time option: Option 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. I'm not really familiar with Option 1 or 2. Option 5 gets 3-8 hours, Option 4 gets 12-20 hours, Option 1 and maybe 2 are full time which gets 32-38 hours. NOTE: The minimum to maximum hours for each option will be the scheduled shifts. The only way for you to get MORE hours is when you pick up later on. AND during the holidays of course. For example: As an option 5 you'll be scheduled 5 hours. When its time to pick up you, picked up, let's say, 9:45am-1:45pm (4 hours). So add that to your scheduled hours for that week, you have 9 hours. It's not a lot but thats why you gotta be a pro at picking up shifts. Holidays will do you good.
    4) Pay Frequency - Weekly!
    5) Associates/Co-workers - You will meet friends along the way. You'll see the good and the bad. You'll see who you get along with, stick with them. And stay away from those ones with nasty attitude.
    6) Good for people starting out in retail. You will really learn a lot.
    7) More hours Opportunity - I'm not really sure if this falls under pros or cons but I'll mention this anyway. Sometimes the store will be short on associates (called out, left early, etc.) and the managers will ask their associates on the floor if they would like to stay until a certain time. I said I wasn't sure if this was good or bad only because some people like the extra hours AND some probably already worked a long day and they don't want to stay any longer for that day. Oh and some has plans after their shift. Sometimes though it gets annoying, people just wanna go home and rest you know.
    8) Associate Discount - it's okay. It has its perks

Cons

1) Minimum wage. You'll probably get a small raise later maybe a year or two. But it's not much of a raise, a couple cents.
    2) "Sales Associate" - You pretty much do everything. You ring on the register, do returns, check fitting rooms, put back clothes. There are some days when you're the only one working in one department and it's not busy at all, and you'd go to the fitting rooms to check. I swear everytime I leave the service desk to do that, a customer will always show up when I'm not there. Really?? When you get out of the fitting room you see them and you have to run to them before they get impatient and leave.
    3) Catty associates - The full time associates that have been working there for ages (literally like 20 years or something) are very very protective and competitive over their sales goal. If there is a full time and a part time scheduled for one department (1 service desk with 2 registers maybe) you sure as hell bet that the full time will stay and hog the register while you have to put stuff back. My advice: Don't let them step all over you! They have goals to make, but so do you! If they ever tell you that they have to make their sales goal because they're full time, tell them that you do too! It's not always like this with every single associate. With the people I worked and got along with we took turns because we know how competitive ringing goes around. We helped each other out. I hope the same goes for you.
    4) Opening a credit - As a Macy's Retail Sales Associate, you are required to open credits - which is part of the job so it's fine. BUT the part that is not fine is when the managers constantly remind and tell you to open credits as they walk around the store and they see you. It's okay to tell me once or twice about it but it's NOT okay when you shove it down my throat. I know I have to get credits but you don't have to tell me like I'm deaf or disabled. Managers can sometimes make you feel like you're not trying your best with opening it, in other words, incompetent. It has great incentives, don't get me wrong. But please, ease on with the nagging. We're trying our best but not everyone wants to open one for reasons such as: bad credit, closed macys card to decrease payments/interest fee, not interested in opening one at all!
    5) Department assignment - Be careful on which departments you pick up when you try to get hours. Other departments are the best but some are just so boring and dead. My only advice is to keep yourself busy even if it's something you don't want to do. At least you're doing something.
    6) For people who wants to gain retail experience and some cash, this is the place for you. BUT if you want to make this your career, there's no future here for you. Some associates (mostly full time) have been here for the longest time and this is the only job for them, so just understand when they get too competitive or catty with ringing people out - that's pretty much their life.
    7) Easily burn out! - Take a day off or two, you will need it.

Bottom line:
    Every company/employer has its pros and cons, but don't be discouraged. A good work experience is great for future jobs. Remember, work is work. You can't be picky. Overall, Macy's is alright.

No. I'm not going to tell YOU how to do your job. It is your responsibility to look into things or situations that needs improvement. You should know what they are IF you really do pay attention to your associates.

Could call off sick days, but pay was so mediocre and your life had to be dedicated through holiday season.

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Macy's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Point system, easy tasks, easy to excel at job (just not rewarded)

Cons

Pay, coworkers, inexperienced management, ONE HR REPRESENTATIVE, managers, blackout days

I enjoyed my position but corporate handling of situations is terrible.

Former Employee - Visual Trimmer
    Former Employee - Visual Trimmer

I worked at Macy's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The job was very fun. I worked in the visual department and my whole day was a creative outlet. The hours seemed to fly by and I left work in a good mood.

Cons

There were not enough people on the team and sometimes projects had to be rushed for completion, sacrificing quality. Also, due to company downsizing, my position was eliminated and upper management did not seem the least bit remorseful. The way it was handled was terrible.

Don't sacrifice quality for monetary quantity.

not fair

Current Employee - Manager in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Macy's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great company to work for,VP"s treat associates very well

Cons

gender preferences,racial preferences,in store management team have too much preferences with how and who they promote and treat special. gender balance (ratio) far too different 90% female 89% white 99% female supervisor and manager,99% white supervisor and manager.........VERY UNFAIR GROUP OF MANAGERS...they need a change of location and a new team that can see and address the issues, TOO MUCH GREAT ASSOCIATE LEAVING BECAUSE OF UNFAIRNESS.....HELP US GET BETTER.

pay attention and resolve issues with team members,it will escalate to serious federal issues.

Beauty advisor

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

Gratis, great people to work with

Cons

Macy's isn't that great of a company to work for.

Be nicer to your workers

Fun to work/play w/ beauty products & enthusiasts (fellow BAs/CMs, clients). Store/Dept. managers: an out-of-touch pain!

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Macy's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1- Potential for great connections with your colleagues on the sales floor. 2- Employee discount (on top of store markdowns) is a wonderful thing! 3- Fairly flexible scheduling, in most cases. 4- In terms of the cosmetics department, the seasonal product training is great (Perks: a day in a fancy hotel banquet room, catered lunch, free products!). 5- It's somewhat easy to move laterally (switch departments based on preference) or advance within the company, depending on location and relationship with managers.

Cons

1- Department and store managers FAIL to make employees feel valued and respected. 2- Points-based attendance policy probably hurts departments more than it helps. 3- You are pressured to meet sales numbers even when the store is dead! 4- Holiday hours, such as the Thanksgiving-Black Friday overnight shift, hurt the work-life balance. 5- The pay raises are puny!

PUT PEOPLE BEFORE NUMBERS! See employees AS people and NOT numbers! Stop shoving that Macy's card down everybody's throat. It can be bery off-putting to customers.

Particularly in dealing with a very specialized department like cosmetics, managers are RARELY ever as knowledgeable as the Beauty Advisors and Counter Managers on the floor. These beauty pros know their stuff; management needn't micro-manage this department.

Make it your priority to show that you respect, value and want to keep the team, on the sales floor, happy, and they will sell well. Employees sell with more enthusiasm when the work environment is positive.

The points-based attendance policy is a disaster, and as it's applied inconsistently, bias is revealed. (Ex. An employee with points at -5 after random tardies/no-shows, continues employment. Another employee with points at -2 after missing work due to medical reasons, gets terminated.) The floor talks openly about these things.

Unfair

I worked at Macy's

Pros

The only pro I can think of is that I only worked part-time and only for about 3 months.

Cons

All the employees are rude, obnoxious and lazy. They also hate new people who are actually determined to work hard and do a good job. The interview process was taken so seriously and yet the work atmosphere is a big joke. Also don't work here if you are in college because apparently hours aren't flexible for that kind of thing.

Great co-workers, laid back and fun

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Macy's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere at the company is extremely positive and managers care what you think about work. They allow employees to take surveys once a year and are extremely interactive with about your work experience. If you are not happy in you department, management is open to hearing about your concerns. Great work life balance.

Cons

Attendance credits, lack of pay (minimum wage), sometimes managers are never around because they are have so many obligations

stop trying to impress your stock holders and try to care more about your employees.

CORPORATE IS HORRIBLE TO THEIR EMPLOYEES

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Okemos, MI
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Okemos, MI

I worked at Macy's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved the ladies I worked with, and I received a lot of gratis from working in the cosmetics department

Cons

Training was nill, my boss was a jerk, you get no praise for when you go above and beyond your job duties, and you can tell that corporate does not care at all about their employees. What really made me mad was that they are now open thanksgiving night. That is RIDICULOUS! I guarantee the president gets to stay at home and enjoy his holiday with his family while he forces his employees to work. I wasnt even able to have Thanksgiving dinner with my family last year. Oh and not to mention, they made us all work 10 hour shifts! So not right.

Care a little about your employees every once in a while