Macy's Reviews

5,962 Reviews
Macy's Chairman & CEO Terry J. Lundgren
Terry J. Lundgren
1,790 Ratings

Pros
  • the employee discount is good even though one must use their Macys card to get it (in 589 reviews)

• The company offers some flexibility in terms of work/life balance (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet (in 118 reviews)

• There is a great deal of pressure to sell Macy's credit cards to customers (in 373 reviews)

Retail Sales Associate - Read this if you're interested or recently already got a job as a sales associate at Macy's

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Macy's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

1) Flexible Scheduling - If you were scheduled a shift that you can't do (drops down 3 or 4 weeks of work schedule), you can advertise your shift but you have to do it right away so other associates that wants to pick-up hours can take that shift and you'll be clear of that shift. I say do it ASAP because if you do it later then nobody would want to pick up a last minute shift
    2) Pick-up shifts - Okay listen carefully! Shifts drops down EVERY friday but the picking up is Saturday. The executive office will tell you that you're allowed to start picking up Sunday morning. From experience and other associates telling me, you can start picking up Saturday at 7am SHARP. Be ready at 6:59am. Open/available shifts comes from the office (due to big sale events, they need more than usual associates working) AND from full time associates. They get their schedule AND advertise/pick-up shifts on the same day. So they get to advertise their shifts early bird style.
    3) Part-time Options - There are 5 different types of part-time option: Option 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. I'm not really familiar with Option 1 or 2. Option 5 gets 3-8 hours, Option 4 gets 12-20 hours, Option 1 and maybe 2 are full time which gets 32-38 hours. NOTE: The minimum to maximum hours for each option will be the scheduled shifts. The only way for you to get MORE hours is when you pick up later on. AND during the holidays of course. For example: As an option 5 you'll be scheduled 5 hours. When its time to pick up you, picked up, let's say, 9:45am-1:45pm (4 hours). So add that to your scheduled hours for that week, you have 9 hours. It's not a lot but thats why you gotta be a pro at picking up shifts. Holidays will do you good.
    4) Pay Frequency - Weekly!
    5) Associates/Co-workers - You will meet friends along the way. You'll see the good and the bad. You'll see who you get along with, stick with them. And stay away from those ones with nasty attitude.
    6) Good for people starting out in retail. You will really learn a lot.
    7) More hours Opportunity - I'm not really sure if this falls under pros or cons but I'll mention this anyway. Sometimes the store will be short on associates (called out, left early, etc.) and the managers will ask their associates on the floor if they would like to stay until a certain time. I said I wasn't sure if this was good or bad only because some people like the extra hours AND some probably already worked a long day and they don't want to stay any longer for that day. Oh and some has plans after their shift. Sometimes though it gets annoying, people just wanna go home and rest you know.
    8) Associate Discount - it's okay. It has its perks

Cons

1) Minimum wage. You'll probably get a small raise later maybe a year or two. But it's not much of a raise, a couple cents.
    2) "Sales Associate" - You pretty much do everything. You ring on the register, do returns, check fitting rooms, put back clothes. There are some days when you're the only one working in one department and it's not busy at all, and you'd go to the fitting rooms to check. I swear everytime I leave the service desk to do that, a customer will always show up when I'm not there. Really?? When you get out of the fitting room you see them and you have to run to them before they get impatient and leave.
    3) Catty associates - The full time associates that have been working there for ages (literally like 20 years or something) are very very protective and competitive over their sales goal. If there is a full time and a part time scheduled for one department (1 service desk with 2 registers maybe) you sure as hell bet that the full time will stay and hog the register while you have to put stuff back. My advice: Don't let them step all over you! They have goals to make, but so do you! If they ever tell you that they have to make their sales goal because they're full time, tell them that you do too! It's not always like this with every single associate. With the people I worked and got along with we took turns because we know how competitive ringing goes around. We helped each other out. I hope the same goes for you.
    4) Opening a credit - As a Macy's Retail Sales Associate, you are required to open credits - which is part of the job so it's fine. BUT the part that is not fine is when the managers constantly remind and tell you to open credits as they walk around the store and they see you. It's okay to tell me once or twice about it but it's NOT okay when you shove it down my throat. I know I have to get credits but you don't have to tell me like I'm deaf or disabled. Managers can sometimes make you feel like you're not trying your best with opening it, in other words, incompetent. It has great incentives, don't get me wrong. But please, ease on with the nagging. We're trying our best but not everyone wants to open one for reasons such as: bad credit, closed macys card to decrease payments/interest fee, not interested in opening one at all!
    5) Department assignment - Be careful on which departments you pick up when you try to get hours. Other departments are the best but some are just so boring and dead. My only advice is to keep yourself busy even if it's something you don't want to do. At least you're doing something.
    6) For people who wants to gain retail experience and some cash, this is the place for you. BUT if you want to make this your career, there's no future here for you. Some associates (mostly full time) have been here for the longest time and this is the only job for them, so just understand when they get too competitive or catty with ringing people out - that's pretty much their life.
    7) Easily burn out! - Take a day off or two, you will need it.

Bottom line:
    Every company/employer has its pros and cons, but don't be discouraged. A good work experience is great for future jobs. Remember, work is work. You can't be picky. Overall, Macy's is alright.

No. I'm not going to tell YOU how to do your job. It is your responsibility to look into things or situations that needs improvement. You should know what they are IF you really do pay attention to your associates.

2. Overall super fun, easy-going job

Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Macy's

Pros

Great/kind management, awesome co-workers, always fun

Cons

Long hours, irritable customers, not paid for overtime

Pay overtime

3. Great company, poor hours

Current Employee - Merchandising Team Associate in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Merchandising Team Associate in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Macy's part-time

Pros

Great staff. Management wants you to grow within the company as well as professionally.

Cons

Merchandising teams hours are inconsistent. Scheduling was all over the place.

5. good to start on a retail job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Metairie, LA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Metairie, LA

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

Very flexible
    Awesome discounts
    Managers are never around

Cons

Pay is horrible
    I work at women shoes, and you are supposed to get comission on top of $9 per hour, but it is almost impossible

6. Fast paced work environment, challenging, innovative corporation.

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

Growth opportunities, good compensation, great people

Cons

Stressful, challenging work/life balance, long work days.

Create time to further develop & on board steer employees, elevate talent.

7. Working at Macy's is better than most retail jobs. I did feel like the managers appreciated us.

I worked at Macy's

Pros

We received a great discount and I think Macy's is one of the better retail employers. We were often asked how things could get better and we were rewarded for opening accounts which was nice. It's nice to leave your job at work.

Cons

It got a little overwhelming at times. Sometimes the managers expected the impossible when it came down to it. I wish I had a little longer lunch break.

Believe in your employees. I know the customer is always right but at times we as associates are always made out to be the bad guy .

8. Macys part-time

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

Employee discount, flexible schedule, great for students looking for part-time,

Cons

Macys "scorecard" which reviews your credit accounts, clients, emails & sales weekly

Listen & get to know your employees

9. Sales Associate

I worked at Macy's

Pros

Its cool to be Paid every Friday

Cons

The Hours can sometimes be iffy

almost a good place to shop and work

Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in Columbia, MD

I worked at Macy's

Pros

I learned a lot from this position

Cons

fun people to work with

Please, pretend to care. don't bring balloons to thank us for our great work, give something valuable... like here is some candy or cookies....

11. seasonal associate

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

the environment , and some of the people you work with

Cons

some of the customers are rude

pay better