Macy's Reviews

6,132 Reviews
Macy's Chairman & CEO Terry J. Lundgren
Terry J. Lundgren
1,856 Ratings

Pros
  • the employee discount is good even though one must use their Macys card to get it (in 589 reviews)

• The company offers some flexibility in terms of work/life balance (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet (in 118 reviews)

• There is a great deal of pressure to sell Macy's credit cards to customers (in 373 reviews)

Retail Sales Associate - Read this if you're interested or recently already got a job as a sales associate at Macy's

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Macy's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

1) Flexible Scheduling - If you were scheduled a shift that you can't do (drops down 3 or 4 weeks of work schedule), you can advertise your shift but you have to do it right away so other associates that wants to pick-up hours can take that shift and you'll be clear of that shift. I say do it ASAP because if you do it later then nobody would want to pick up a last minute shift
    2) Pick-up shifts - Okay listen carefully! Shifts drops down EVERY friday but the picking up is Saturday. The executive office will tell you that you're allowed to start picking up Sunday morning. From experience and other associates telling me, you can start picking up Saturday at 7am SHARP. Be ready at 6:59am. Open/available shifts comes from the office (due to big sale events, they need more than usual associates working) AND from full time associates. They get their schedule AND advertise/pick-up shifts on the same day. So they get to advertise their shifts early bird style.
    3) Part-time Options - There are 5 different types of part-time option: Option 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. I'm not really familiar with Option 1 or 2. Option 5 gets 3-8 hours, Option 4 gets 12-20 hours, Option 1 and maybe 2 are full time which gets 32-38 hours. NOTE: The minimum to maximum hours for each option will be the scheduled shifts. The only way for you to get MORE hours is when you pick up later on. AND during the holidays of course. For example: As an option 5 you'll be scheduled 5 hours. When its time to pick up you, picked up, let's say, 9:45am-1:45pm (4 hours). So add that to your scheduled hours for that week, you have 9 hours. It's not a lot but thats why you gotta be a pro at picking up shifts. Holidays will do you good.
    4) Pay Frequency - Weekly!
    5) Associates/Co-workers - You will meet friends along the way. You'll see the good and the bad. You'll see who you get along with, stick with them. And stay away from those ones with nasty attitude.
    6) Good for people starting out in retail. You will really learn a lot.
    7) More hours Opportunity - I'm not really sure if this falls under pros or cons but I'll mention this anyway. Sometimes the store will be short on associates (called out, left early, etc.) and the managers will ask their associates on the floor if they would like to stay until a certain time. I said I wasn't sure if this was good or bad only because some people like the extra hours AND some probably already worked a long day and they don't want to stay any longer for that day. Oh and some has plans after their shift. Sometimes though it gets annoying, people just wanna go home and rest you know.
    8) Associate Discount - it's okay. It has its perks

Cons

1) Minimum wage. You'll probably get a small raise later maybe a year or two. But it's not much of a raise, a couple cents.
    2) "Sales Associate" - You pretty much do everything. You ring on the register, do returns, check fitting rooms, put back clothes. There are some days when you're the only one working in one department and it's not busy at all, and you'd go to the fitting rooms to check. I swear everytime I leave the service desk to do that, a customer will always show up when I'm not there. Really?? When you get out of the fitting room you see them and you have to run to them before they get impatient and leave.
    3) Catty associates - The full time associates that have been working there for ages (literally like 20 years or something) are very very protective and competitive over their sales goal. If there is a full time and a part time scheduled for one department (1 service desk with 2 registers maybe) you sure as hell bet that the full time will stay and hog the register while you have to put stuff back. My advice: Don't let them step all over you! They have goals to make, but so do you! If they ever tell you that they have to make their sales goal because they're full time, tell them that you do too! It's not always like this with every single associate. With the people I worked and got along with we took turns because we know how competitive ringing goes around. We helped each other out. I hope the same goes for you.
    4) Opening a credit - As a Macy's Retail Sales Associate, you are required to open credits - which is part of the job so it's fine. BUT the part that is not fine is when the managers constantly remind and tell you to open credits as they walk around the store and they see you. It's okay to tell me once or twice about it but it's NOT okay when you shove it down my throat. I know I have to get credits but you don't have to tell me like I'm deaf or disabled. Managers can sometimes make you feel like you're not trying your best with opening it, in other words, incompetent. It has great incentives, don't get me wrong. But please, ease on with the nagging. We're trying our best but not everyone wants to open one for reasons such as: bad credit, closed macys card to decrease payments/interest fee, not interested in opening one at all!
    5) Department assignment - Be careful on which departments you pick up when you try to get hours. Other departments are the best but some are just so boring and dead. My only advice is to keep yourself busy even if it's something you don't want to do. At least you're doing something.
    6) For people who wants to gain retail experience and some cash, this is the place for you. BUT if you want to make this your career, there's no future here for you. Some associates (mostly full time) have been here for the longest time and this is the only job for them, so just understand when they get too competitive or catty with ringing people out - that's pretty much their life.
    7) Easily burn out! - Take a day off or two, you will need it.

Bottom line:
    Every company/employer has its pros and cons, but don't be discouraged. A good work experience is great for future jobs. Remember, work is work. You can't be picky. Overall, Macy's is alright.

Advice to Management

No. I'm not going to tell YOU how to do your job. It is your responsibility to look into things or situations that needs improvement. You should know what they are IF you really do pay attention to your associates.

its okay

I worked at Macy's part-time

Pros

Management isn't always watching over you, discount , find cheap clothes , co workers are friendly

Cons

Management doesn't care about your advancement , not enough pay , durning off season there's barely hours.

Advice to Management

Give your employees

3. Sales Manager

I have been working at Macy's full-time

Pros

At Macy's there is competitive compensation and unlimited room for career growth. You can advance in your career as quickly or as slowly as you like.

Cons

The retail schedule can be draining at times but executives are offered a considerable amount of PTO/Vacation time so it does tend to balance it self out.

Advice to Management

Continue to do much of what you already do perhaps with more focus on engagement at the senior level.

5. sales associate

I worked at Macy's

Pros

great people and great management

Cons

slow hours during seasonal downtime

6. If you're looking for a security position apply for detective.

Former Employee - Loss Prevention in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time

Pros

Most of the workers are nice

Cons

Having to deal with snobbish patrons.
    Full-time is rarely available to those in lower rank.

7. easy going work environment, always something to do.

I worked at Macy's part-time

Pros

The people are friendly and helpful, work is easy & laid back.

Cons

Pay is horrible and not enough hours for all employees to make a good living.

8. Retail Sales Associate

Current Employee - Self Employed in Downey, CA
    Current Employee - Self Employed in Downey, CA

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

EXTREMELY flexible schedule for most departments.

Cons

Minimum hours as a new hire.

Advice to Management

Need more feedback on progress as a new hire.

9. sales associate

I worked at Macy's part-time

Pros

fun work enviorment especially during the holidays great benefit package and employee discount hour long lunches

Cons

management had poor communtication skills and no flexibility with the schedule woildmt work with me regarding my 2nd job

Advice to Management

communicating changes to policies and needs of the department such as sale goals more clearly would result in huigher4 sales and less write ups

10. Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at Macy's

Pros

, Good Management, Great Work Environment, Great Discounts and rewards

Cons

Low Hourly Wages, More Work Load, immature people

11. Sales Associate

I worked at Macy's

Pros

Great company to work for offers great incentitives

Cons

There aren't really any cons with working with the company