Macy's Reviews

Reset
Macy's Chairman & CEO Terry J. Lundgren
Terry J. Lundgren
2,252 Ratings

Pros
  • 2- Employee discount (on top of store markdowns) is a wonderful thing (in 589 reviews)

• hours are balanced for work life balance (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance as the company struggles to compete with other stores by offering lame OneDay sales with peculiar hours (in 118 reviews)

• Morning meetings consisted of the store manager basically telling you to "push" store credit cards on customers (in 373 reviews)

7,477 Employee Reviews

Why Macy's?

Pros

The only reason that someone should stay at Macy's is because of the management. They have very great management system. They are caring, and understanding. You can pick up shifts as many as you want. Even to 50 something hours a week. You will have your own freedom when to go to lunch or dinner. You will get points but being punctual and lose but not being one. You will earn PTO eveb as a part time employee. And it is very easy to get promoted if you are a very determind, and driven person.

Cons

Most of the good benefits starts if you work constantly above certain jours, like insurance. Tuition reimbursment, and etc..

Retail Sales Associate - Read this if you're interested or recently already got a job as a sales associate at Macy's

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) Flexible Scheduling - If you were scheduled a shift that you can't do (drops down 3 or 4 weeks of work schedule), you can advertise your shift but you have to do it right away so other associates that wants to pick-up hours can take that shift and you'll be clear of that shift. I say do it ASAP because if you do it later then nobody would want to pick up a last minute shift 2) Pick-up shifts - Okay listen carefully! Shifts drops down EVERY friday but the picking up is Saturday. The executive office will tell you that you're allowed to start picking up Sunday morning. From experience and other associates telling me, you can start picking up Saturday at 7am SHARP. Be ready at 6:59am. Open/available shifts comes from the office (due to big sale events, they need more than usual associates working) AND from full time associates. They get their schedule AND advertise/pick-up shifts on the same day. So they get to advertise their shifts early bird style. 3) Part-time Options - There are 5 different types of part-time option: Option 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. I'm not really familiar with Option 1 or 2. Option 5 gets 3-8 hours, Option 4 gets 12-20 hours, Option 1 and maybe 2 are full time which gets 32-38 hours. NOTE: The minimum to maximum hours for each option will be the scheduled shifts. The only way for you to get MORE hours is when you pick up later on. AND during the holidays of course. For example: As an option 5 you'll be scheduled 5 hours. When its time to pick up you, picked up, let's say, 9:45am-1:45pm (4 hours). So add that to your scheduled hours for that week, you have 9 hours. It's not a lot but thats why you gotta be a pro at picking up shifts. Holidays will do you good. 4) Pay Frequency - Weekly! 5) Associates/Co-workers - You will meet friends along the way. You'll see the good and the bad. You'll see who you get along with, stick with them. And stay away from those ones with nasty attitude. 6) Good for people starting out in retail. You will really learn a lot. 7) More hours Opportunity - I'm not really sure if this falls under pros or cons but I'll mention this anyway. Sometimes the store will be short on associates (called out, left early, etc.) and the managers will ask their associates on the floor if they would like to stay until a certain time. I said I wasn't sure if this was good or bad only because some people like the extra hours AND some probably already worked a long day and they don't want to stay any longer for that day. Oh and some has plans after their shift. Sometimes though it gets annoying, people just wanna go home and rest you know. 8) Associate Discount - it's okay. It has its perks

Cons

1) Minimum wage. You'll probably get a small raise later maybe a year or two. But it's not much of a raise, a couple cents. 2) "Sales Associate" - You pretty much do everything. You ring on the register, do returns, check fitting rooms, put back clothes. There are some days when you're the only one working in one department and it's not busy at all, and you'd go to the fitting rooms to check. I swear everytime I leave the service desk to do that, a customer will always show up when I'm not there. Really?? When you get out of the fitting room you see them and you have to run to them before they get impatient and leave. 3) Catty associates - The full time associates that have been working there for ages (literally like 20 years or something) are very very protective and competitive over their sales goal. If there is a full time and a part time scheduled for one department (1 service desk with 2 registers maybe) you sure as hell bet that the full time will stay and hog the register while you have to put stuff back. My advice: Don't let them step all over you! They have goals to make, but so do you! If they ever tell you that they have to make their sales goal because they're full time, tell them that you do too! It's not always like this with every single associate. With the people I worked and got along with we took turns because we know how competitive ringing goes around. We helped each other out. I hope the same goes for you. 4) Opening a credit - As a Macy's Retail Sales Associate, you are required to open credits - which is part of the job so it's fine. BUT the part that is not fine is when the managers constantly remind and tell you to open credits as they walk around the store and they see you. It's okay to tell me once or twice about it but it's NOT okay when you shove it down my throat. I know I have to get credits but you don't have to tell me like I'm deaf or disabled. Managers can sometimes make you feel like you're not trying your best with opening it, in other words, incompetent. It has great incentives, don't get me wrong. But please, ease on with the nagging. We're trying our best but not everyone wants to open one for reasons such as: bad credit, closed macys card to decrease payments/interest fee, not interested in opening one at all! 5) Department assignment - Be careful on which departments you pick up when you try to get hours. Other departments are the best but some are just so boring and dead. My only advice is to keep yourself busy even if it's something you don't want to do. At least you're doing something. 6) For people who wants to gain retail experience and some cash, this is the place for you. BUT if you want to make this your career, there's no future here for you. Some associates (mostly full time) have been here for the longest time and this is the only job for them, so just understand when they get too competitive or catty with ringing people out - that's pretty much their life. 7) Easily burn out! - Take a day off or two, you will need it. Bottom line: Every company/employer has its pros and cons, but don't be discouraged. A good work experience is great for future jobs. Remember, work is work. You can't be picky. Overall, Macy's is alright.

Advice to Management

No. I'm not going to tell YOU how to do your job. It is your responsibility to look into things or situations that needs improvement. You should know what they are IF you really do pay attention to your associates.

PT Sales Associate

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get an employee discount of an extra 20%. If you are part time and want more hours, you can pick up extra shifts. You also can try to switch shifts if someone is willing to take them. Macy's also seems to like to hire from within. If you are studying marketing and working, keep your eyes open for other opportunities.

Cons

Macy's is above Wal-Mart, and below Nordstrom's. The stores are full of so much junk. The women/teens section ends up with half the clothes on the floor of the dressing room and the other half misplaced. The sales are confusing. The mgmt is always pushing associates to get people to open credit cards. People are always calling out or quitting, which makes others have to do more work. I also hate all these associates who whine and complain. It is RETAIL; if you want to party every weekend and act like the world owes you something then you need to get your head checked. I hate working weekends also, but I do it knowing I'm working for something else down the line. Stop complaining and get a plan, goals and a work ethic.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring everyone with a pulse. Everyone does a 2 day "training" on the computer, but you should allow them to work with someone for a few days before being thrown out to the wolves. Also, STOP with all the credit card and sales quotas. You don't pay people enough to offer suggestions, make small talk and try to "win them over" under these forced conditions. Most people want to work and would provide better service without these constant quotas. Also, stop harassing customers who make purchases by asking for emails, phone numbers to text info and whatever else. It takes forever to check someone out now. Is the coupon system now online or do they still need these paper things? I can't tell and I work here. What do the customers think? Also have someone stationed at the fitting rooms (especially on the weekends) to limit the # of items being tried on and taking it back when it doesn't work. GAP, BR and other stores do it. Your customers are animals and you can't sell it if it's on the floor!

Customers are crazy

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount (20%), contests to earn Macy Money, coworkers, awesome flexibility when it comes to scheduling

Cons

Scary customers who think Macy's is Walmart (or a freaking flea market), customers can return items they've used (most lax return policy I've ever come across in retail)

Advice to Management

Get together and fix that return policy. How does Macy's make any money if people can get price adjustments years later? Maybe our pay would be higher if the company didn't do this

6. Sales

Pros

Flexible working hours are nice

Cons

Not many chances to promote

7. Sales Associate - Fine Jewelry & Watches

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

Pros

Opportunities to build clientele. Pays commission on sales.

Cons

Subject to market and sales fluctuations.

Advice to Management

Continue provide on-going training to sales staff.

8. STock

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westland, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westland, MI

Pros

Very busy; never bored or clock watching

Cons

Management changes too much; makes for changing focus

9. Visual Director

I have been working at Macy's (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for. Company encourages new ideas and thinking differently in order to drive sales. Many creative thinking and passionate individuals who are committed to achieving one common goal and are driven to perform at a high level. Clear communication on many levels of the organization. If you are willing to relocate, you have the opportunity to advance more quickly - provided you perform at a high level.

Cons

Long work days. Travel policy does not benefit anyone who lives far from where they work.

Advice to Management

Advice to my supervisor - Demonstrate professional behaviors for someone who holds an RVVP title.

10. sales supervisor

Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in Tampa, FL

I worked at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

company discounts, flexible schedule, great co-workers and management, team environment

Cons

working holidays, rude customers, difficult associates

11. Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I worked at Macy's (More than a year)

Pros

Easily hiring process, especially during holidays.

Cons

I wasn't very fond of my supervisor's professionalism, but it's not a direct reflection of the company.

Showing 7,477 of 7,613 reviews