Macy's Reviews

6,182 Reviews
Macy's Chairman & CEO Terry J. Lundgren
Terry J. Lundgren
1,858 Ratings

Pros
  • the employee discount is good even though one must use their Macys card to get it (in 589 reviews)

• The company offers some flexibility in terms of work/life balance (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet (in 118 reviews)

• There is a great deal of pressure to sell Macy's credit cards to customers (in 373 reviews)

Retail Sales Associate - Read this if you're interested or recently already got a job as a sales associate at Macy's

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) Flexible Scheduling - If you were scheduled a shift that you can't do (drops down 3 or 4 weeks of work schedule), you can advertise your shift but you have to do it right away so other associates that wants to pick-up hours can take that shift and you'll be clear of that shift. I say do it ASAP because if you do it later then nobody would want to pick up a last minute shift
    2) Pick-up shifts - Okay listen carefully! Shifts drops down EVERY friday but the picking up is Saturday. The executive office will tell you that you're allowed to start picking up Sunday morning. From experience and other associates telling me, you can start picking up Saturday at 7am SHARP. Be ready at 6:59am. Open/available shifts comes from the office (due to big sale events, they need more than usual associates working) AND from full time associates. They get their schedule AND advertise/pick-up shifts on the same day. So they get to advertise their shifts early bird style.
    3) Part-time Options - There are 5 different types of part-time option: Option 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. I'm not really familiar with Option 1 or 2. Option 5 gets 3-8 hours, Option 4 gets 12-20 hours, Option 1 and maybe 2 are full time which gets 32-38 hours. NOTE: The minimum to maximum hours for each option will be the scheduled shifts. The only way for you to get MORE hours is when you pick up later on. AND during the holidays of course. For example: As an option 5 you'll be scheduled 5 hours. When its time to pick up you, picked up, let's say, 9:45am-1:45pm (4 hours). So add that to your scheduled hours for that week, you have 9 hours. It's not a lot but thats why you gotta be a pro at picking up shifts. Holidays will do you good.
    4) Pay Frequency - Weekly!
    5) Associates/Co-workers - You will meet friends along the way. You'll see the good and the bad. You'll see who you get along with, stick with them. And stay away from those ones with nasty attitude.
    6) Good for people starting out in retail. You will really learn a lot.
    7) More hours Opportunity - I'm not really sure if this falls under pros or cons but I'll mention this anyway. Sometimes the store will be short on associates (called out, left early, etc.) and the managers will ask their associates on the floor if they would like to stay until a certain time. I said I wasn't sure if this was good or bad only because some people like the extra hours AND some probably already worked a long day and they don't want to stay any longer for that day. Oh and some has plans after their shift. Sometimes though it gets annoying, people just wanna go home and rest you know.
    8) Associate Discount - it's okay. It has its perks

Cons

1) Minimum wage. You'll probably get a small raise later maybe a year or two. But it's not much of a raise, a couple cents.
    2) "Sales Associate" - You pretty much do everything. You ring on the register, do returns, check fitting rooms, put back clothes. There are some days when you're the only one working in one department and it's not busy at all, and you'd go to the fitting rooms to check. I swear everytime I leave the service desk to do that, a customer will always show up when I'm not there. Really?? When you get out of the fitting room you see them and you have to run to them before they get impatient and leave.
    3) Catty associates - The full time associates that have been working there for ages (literally like 20 years or something) are very very protective and competitive over their sales goal. If there is a full time and a part time scheduled for one department (1 service desk with 2 registers maybe) you sure as hell bet that the full time will stay and hog the register while you have to put stuff back. My advice: Don't let them step all over you! They have goals to make, but so do you! If they ever tell you that they have to make their sales goal because they're full time, tell them that you do too! It's not always like this with every single associate. With the people I worked and got along with we took turns because we know how competitive ringing goes around. We helped each other out. I hope the same goes for you.
    4) Opening a credit - As a Macy's Retail Sales Associate, you are required to open credits - which is part of the job so it's fine. BUT the part that is not fine is when the managers constantly remind and tell you to open credits as they walk around the store and they see you. It's okay to tell me once or twice about it but it's NOT okay when you shove it down my throat. I know I have to get credits but you don't have to tell me like I'm deaf or disabled. Managers can sometimes make you feel like you're not trying your best with opening it, in other words, incompetent. It has great incentives, don't get me wrong. But please, ease on with the nagging. We're trying our best but not everyone wants to open one for reasons such as: bad credit, closed macys card to decrease payments/interest fee, not interested in opening one at all!
    5) Department assignment - Be careful on which departments you pick up when you try to get hours. Other departments are the best but some are just so boring and dead. My only advice is to keep yourself busy even if it's something you don't want to do. At least you're doing something.
    6) For people who wants to gain retail experience and some cash, this is the place for you. BUT if you want to make this your career, there's no future here for you. Some associates (mostly full time) have been here for the longest time and this is the only job for them, so just understand when they get too competitive or catty with ringing people out - that's pretty much their life.
    7) Easily burn out! - Take a day off or two, you will need it.

Bottom line:
    Every company/employer has its pros and cons, but don't be discouraged. A good work experience is great for future jobs. Remember, work is work. You can't be picky. Overall, Macy's is alright.

Advice to Management

No. I'm not going to tell YOU how to do your job. It is your responsibility to look into things or situations that needs improvement. You should know what they are IF you really do pay attention to your associates.

Very amazing to embrace beauty and feel georgous

Current Freelancer - Freelance Makeup Artist in New York, NY
    Current Freelancer - Freelance Makeup Artist in New York, NY

I have been working at Macy's (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice environment great customer service

Cons

Not much, really an amazing job

Advice to Management

just be confident in your self embrace the beauty

3. fun at times

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Specialist in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Specialist in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Macy's full-time

Pros

Great discounts/ no background check

Cons

Management/ rude customer/ racist executive team/ stupid attendance points system

5. Estee Lauder Beauty advisor 3 years

Current Employee - Estee Lauder in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Estee Lauder in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Macy's (Less than a year)

Pros

They treat me good. The pay is good if your commissioned. Managers are fair.

Cons

Your on your feet all day. Retail hours. Open Thanksgiving day.

Advice to Management

Coach and develope with kindness.

6. Cosmetics/Fragrance

Former Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Macy's part-time

Pros

Working with guest and explaining the products to them. Exciting place to work.

Cons

No cons. Macy's is a great environment to work at and start your career off in the makeup field.

Advice to Management

They were very understandable and very dedicated

7. Sales Associate

I worked at Macy's full-time

Pros

Good employee discount and can pick up a lot of hours.

Cons

Not many opportunities to grow. Company tend to hire people for position from outside of the company instead of within the company.

8. Sales Associate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Environment. Really good discounts.

Cons

Management needs to improve.

Advice to Management

Treat employees better

9. I had a very proactive job environment, co-workers, and supervisors.

I worked at Macy's part-time

Pros

Fast but relaxing atmosphere surrounded by delightful and blissful work areas.

Cons

Some managers don't give specific instructions/information for the tasks they want done and are always in a hurry.

Advice to Management

They should lways make instructions clear, and HOW they want it done. (I wanted the shelves in order and organized but didn't know that I just needed to "dump" the comforters in any available shelf.

10. Macy

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a great development program. You can grow quickly within the company if you work hard and take ownership of your development.

Cons

There's nothing more hectic than working Macy's during the holidays. Not everyone is cut out for it.

Advice to Management

Everyone I have come across so far in my nearly 3 years with the company is nice. Personalities will vary, but for the most part everyone looks out for your best interest, simply because your development is in their best interest.

11. Love my job but it is demanding.

Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Bolingbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Bolingbrook, IL

I worked at Macy's (More than 3 years)

Pros

-weekly pay
    -20% discount with extra through-out year
    -busy
    -diverse customers
    -estee lauder has a lot of training opportunities year round

Cons

-work/home life unbalanced
    -employees need to be held accountable
    -no macy's training(need more than a training video)
    -high turn over

Advice to Management

Screen employees better