Macy's Reviews

4,516 Reviews

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren
Terry J. Lundgren
1,297 Ratings

Pros
  • The only "pro" about this job is the employee discount, but it isn't even that great (in 496 reviews)

• The company offers some flexibility in terms of work/life balance (in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't push their credit card down the customers throat you get fired (in 326 reviews)

• They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet (in 100 reviews)

More Highlights

It wasn't bad, but not great either

Former Employee - Ladies Commisioned Shoes  in  Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Ladies Commisioned Shoes in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time for less than a year

Pros

Worked in Shoe department so commission was nice.
    Men's shoes 3% commission + base pay
    If you want to switch shifts, it's all done online.
    Good online site with access to many resources

Cons

Women's shoe had an hourly draw which was pretty ridiculous to meet most of the time in the area that I worked.
    Dead end job pretty much

Change the commission structure. Not much else to say, it's a huge retail corporation.

Great company

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

Great discount
    Good well known company

Cons

Hard to get promoted at some locations

An Ok Retail Job

Former Employee - Sales Associate - Women's Shoes  in  Hanover, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate - Women's Shoes in Hanover, MA

I worked at Macy's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked in the women's shoes department, as a commissioned salesperson, for about 3 years. I thought the pay was decent ($9.00/hour + 10% commission after draw... in my case this meant I made 10% on everything I sold past the $100 mark each hour). This turned out to be pretty decent, averaging (annually) to about $50 in commission each week (I worked about 20 hours per week). I did not work in a busy store. I liked the generous employee discount, along with special employee coupons, sales events, and reward money, and their allowance of employees to use some customer coupons. They give you your work schedule 2-3 weeks in advance. They also offer insurance, even to part time workers.

Overall, Macy*s is not a bad company to work for in terms of low-skill, lower pay jobs (which is why I stayed there for so long). I've had other retail jobs, and trust me, you could do a lot worse!

Cons

Here are the things I did not like though: they make you push the Macy*s credit card, to every customer. You are expected to get a certain number of people to sign up each week, and you will be pulled aside if you do not reach those goals to talk about improvement. This is a sore spot for me, because customers do not like to be heckled about opening a card, and you are obligated to present a hard sale. Speaking of hard sale, another thing that rubbed me the wrong way was that the company had a policy where for every 1 shoe a customer asked for, I had to bring them out 2 more that they did not ask for. Again, these kinds of hard sale tactics made me feel uncomfortable, and I mostly disregarded them unless a manager was watching. Macy*s cares more about selling than about customer care (not a shocking thing in the world of retail, but still something you should consider when determining if this is the right job for you). Be aware that sales are your number one goal, and not just for commissioned workers: to the point where your sales numbers (both the dollar amounts and the number of credit cards you sell) will be posted on a wall each week along with your co-workers, with people at the bottom and top of the list highlighted for all employees to see.

Managent has a problem with connecting to employees in real and meaningful ways (such as talking to you about how you can increase customer satisfaction or how you can complete certain tasks more efficiently). They constantly place new requirements on you in terms of sales tactics, but do not review with you the validity or supposed effectiveness of these methods. At times I felt like we were just conducting a bunch of experiments, at the expense of our customers (again, how would you feel if you asked for 2 pairs of shoes, and I returned to you with 6 pairs?? I'm guessing you'd be a little turned off, to say the least).

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An Honest Review

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Macy's part-time for more than a year

Pros

I really enjoyed working at my store. Your experience will greatly depends on the store, management and other employees. There are several different opportunities for you to earn some extra store credit and personally I found the competition a bit fun. The job is pretty easy and lenient and most customers are great to work with.

Cons

About half of the employees act like it is the worst freaking job in the world. They constantly have an attitude with customers and other employees. Everything is an inconvenience. Honestly if you don't sit there and whine the job is pretty awesome. Full time can be a tad more competitive with opening cards and I constantly had Full Time employees come up to me in front of customers and tell me to ring the sell up under their name. Besides that the scheduling is a bit wonky. It's completely random which for me personally didn't bother me but was inconvenient for most. When I attempted to transfer to a different location however that Macy's never called me back. I walked in, I called, and they didn't even have the respect to call me back and say they had no opportunities which they originally told me they had. I went from loving my job to resenting it. It just makes you learn it really depends on which location you work at whether you will love or hate it. I stopped trying to transfer because I realized the new store was not the place for me.

The *FLAG SHIP* of "ALL" Retail Outlets

Former Employee - Retail Support Associate  in  Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Support Associate in Burbank, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time for more than a year

Pros

The way Macy's has set up their work schedule , by letting people bit on each others schedule if for a case of emergency you need the day off is the absolute best system I've ever experienced.

Cons

It's very hard to actually land a FULL-TIME job here at Macy's. But I love everything about Macy's and thats why this is my 3rd consecutive year as a temporary holiday help store associate.

None to offer other than that I wish I could get a Permanent Part-Time position with this company. I would b a great investment.

Low Pay

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Macy's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have worked there from the age of 18 to 22 and enjoyed the employee discount on clothing. That said, no young person should stay here for that long as I found my temporary position was slowly taking a permanent form. Don't make the same mistake I did by staying there long and go back to college and get a degree! Before the recession, the location was bustling and there were tons of customers, if you tend to fear crowds, you'd be better off choosing a more remote/not as popular location.

Cons

I started in 2005 with a pay of $8 and, later, I was receiving $12.50. I was not on commission.
    Managers changed about 5 times and each had their own idea of how to meet the department goals which were opening customer credit cards, meeting sales goals etc.
    My least favorite part was pushing people to get a store credit card ("The Loyalty Program").
    Another con would be the number of rude customers, there was always at least one a day who would want to return a stinky, dirty worn piece of clothing. Some were very condescending- I have to say, if you don't have a thick skin/maturity yet, be extremely polite and refer clients like that to the manager.

Be more human- stop with aggressive credit card opening pushing.

Macys

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

Good company to advance within; core values are important to team members

Cons

Training has improved greatly; however, still needs improvement / benefits are ok

Focus on training right from the start and develop better communication strategies

great

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

great place to work and store management is very supportive and good benefits and good working schedule and good training programs.

Cons

i did not find any challenges working at macys. they are a supportive company that assist you when needed.

I cried when I got laid off from seasonal hire because I enjoyed working there.

Former Employee - Sales Support Associate  in  Escondido, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in Escondido, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great customers and co-workers!

Cons

Keeping the dressing rooms cleaned in high volume times

Cosmetics & Fragrance

Former Employee - Clinique Skincare Specialist  in  Orland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Clinique Skincare Specialist in Orland Park, IL

I worked at Macy's part-time

Pros

Great co-workers and wonderful atmosphere. Direct managers were always supportive. Still miss gratis!

Cons

Upper management was very detached and there was a huge lack of communication between them and regional cosmetic line representatives which resulted in frequent misalignments in sales targets and a complete lack of direction.

The inventory management system, especially for fulfillment and restocks is ridiculous and corporate should be embarrassed.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!