Macy's

2.9 4,303 reviews

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren

Terry J. Lundgren

(1,226 ratings)

Pros
  • The only "pro" about this job is the employee discount, but it isn't even that great(in 496 reviews)

• The company offers some flexibility in terms of work/life balance(in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't push their credit card down the customers throat you get fired(in 326 reviews)

• They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet(in 100 reviews)

4,303 Employee Reviews

A fun place to work but not easy.

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Maplewood, MN

ProsIt is a fun place to work. Compension for commission works is better than most. The people are friendly.

ConsNot enough training for new employees. Expected to work very hard for your money. When things get busy as they often due in retail around the holiday's their was little help when you need it.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would let them know that it is important to make sure that everyone is on the same page.

You get out of it what you put in

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Bethesda, MD

ProsCo-workers & Management - the majority of the people I worked with were amazing. I am still close to one of my managers today and I consider her a mentor. If you work hard your managers will notice. This will make your experience better.
    Employee Discount
    Growth - I worked very hard during my time at Macy's and within six months had already received two promotions, which ended me working in the cosmetics department.

ConsThe Macy's I worked at forced us to join a Union. Being a part-time employee getting paid a quarter above minimum wage, a Union was something I did not want to pour my money into.
    The customers; management at Macy's has given the customer way too much freedom for too long. Customers now know that if they treat an employee like dirt by complaining about something completely out of the stores control, they will be rewarded with a coupon or "Macy's Money" to help them remain loyal customers. This causes the employees to be treated like dirt on a consistent basis, and it is more prevalent during the holiday seasons.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more forceful with customers; the customer is not always right and it is time they were treated that way. Also, increase your starting base salary. A quarter above minimum wage is ridiculous for a sales job at Macy's (this is in Maryland); it's a large department store and when I worked there I had a multitude of tasks to complete within a shift and was always asked to stay overtime to help clean other departments. Minimum wage jobs should be left for teenager positions at small stores, not large department stores.

Macys experience

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Coral Springs, FL

ProsGreat helping clients (customers) and the ability to build a great communication with the staff. Discount was great and worked on everything!

ConsMacys focus was always on opening up Macys card which I hated to badger the customers with

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Associate-different departments as needed

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Sarasota, FL

ProsOur top Manager jumps in and WORKS the floor-I've seen her resetting displays, pushing a rack down the aisle, even help me rebalance a display rack so no injury occurs
    I feel like the Macy's staff is extended Family, some have promotion to another store-feel like I'm losing family.
    When have problem, manager in charge available for advice and comes to help

ConsRecovery-everyone expected to replace clothes to selling area, sounds easy, but when big sale times 4 or more go back racks. Never ending
    Times air is too warm-customers have complained hot in store. One customer commented trouble breathing
    Unable to sit during shift, would appreciate stool at register, feet get tired
    Expected to get credit cared application each day

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease-more recovery staff! After big sale can look like hurricane blew through.
    Realize cost containment-please lower air so customers can shop and breathe
    Remember that some people are strrugling to pay bills, others want "points" for travel

Sales Associate Flex Team

Part-Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsFlexibility to pick shifts when available, benefits when maintaining 20 hours per week. This allows that if you are short they average by the quarter, the 20% associate discounts and other deals.

ConsLow pay, sometimes not always able to get shifts, however, once you get to know the various managers if needed you can come in an pick up hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication to the part time and Flex Team of what's new promo, updates, and things we don't hear as a FT employee.

Macy's as a department store is very concerned with image.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood employee discount off the back end 20% on most purchases. Able to work independently within framework of job.

ConsPerhaps upper management is too concerned with image and creating a buzz about the Macy's brand. The support staff are less valued than those at the stores or .com. Recent cutbacks and consolidations in staff roles. Goals, roles, increased automation changed the focus of the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementImage seems to be a primary concern.

Great for Retail

Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) El Cajon, CA

ProsFlexible schedule, good pay for the work, co-workers are friendly, floor managers are supportive. On the sales floor the associate is fairly empowered to make decisions to help customers with issues without having to ask the manager for approval for very little thing. As far as retail jobs go, Macy's is a good place to work. I've been there about a year and most of the other associates are still there from when I started. You have a lot of flexibility about what department you want to work in. The managers are accommodating and do their best to keep employees happy.

ConsCons to the job are mostly what I would consider typical throughout the retail industry...sales are sometimes slow and work can get dull. Coupons and sales can be confusing for customers, wasting time at checkout. Modern processes can actually be a hindrance to customers when they have to enter and re-enter information like emails and phone numbers. Too much pressure to add customer to Macy's marketing database. I don't like schilling for info so the customer gets a bunch of spam. (personal opinion only)

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that your corporate team is getting their work done with employee matters. Consider more logical and comprehensive sales strategies. Maybe a more straightforward pricing approach.

Not enough compensation

ProsThe discounts are good, especially when there are big sales. The other employees also make it worth coming to work because their friendly.

ConsI feel as though the employees work very hard to maintain the stores presentation but we don't get paid enough. From cleaning fitting rooms,to recovering the sales floor, handling customers and presenting star rewards as well as other promotions it gets a little overwhelming especially when the managers are constantly asking for more.

Good

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Prosevery one is nice and provides great customer service

Consthere aren't really any that i could think of work is work

Awarding

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsListen and rendering quality customer service.

ConsSet your own hours, great for retirees, students, or part time day hours for moms.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure your sales associates have everything needed to give customer satisfaction.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!