Macy's

2.9 4,278 reviews

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren

Terry J. Lundgren

(1,218 ratings)

Pros
  • The only "pro" about this job is the employee discount, but it isn't even that great(in 486 reviews)

• Work Life balance, advancement opportunities are a great part of Macy's(in 94 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't push their credit card down the customers throat you get fired(in 315 reviews)

• They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet(in 95 reviews)

4,278 Employee Reviews

You get out of it what you put in

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Bethesda, MD

ProsCo-workers & Management - the majority of the people I worked with were amazing. I am still close to one of my managers today and I consider her a mentor. If you work hard your managers will notice. This will make your experience better.
    Employee Discount
    Growth - I worked very hard during my time at Macy's and within six months had already received two promotions, which ended me working in the cosmetics department.

ConsThe Macy's I worked at forced us to join a Union. Being a part-time employee getting paid a quarter above minimum wage, a Union was something I did not want to pour my money into.
    The customers; management at Macy's has given the customer way too much freedom for too long. Customers now know that if they treat an employee like dirt by complaining about something completely out of the stores control, they will be rewarded with a coupon or "Macy's Money" to help them remain loyal customers. This causes the employees to be treated like dirt on a consistent basis, and it is more prevalent during the holiday seasons.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more forceful with customers; the customer is not always right and it is time they were treated that way. Also, increase your starting base salary. A quarter above minimum wage is ridiculous for a sales job at Macy's (this is in Maryland); it's a large department store and when I worked there I had a multitude of tasks to complete within a shift and was always asked to stay overtime to help clean other departments. Minimum wage jobs should be left for teenager positions at small stores, not large department stores.

Sales Associate Flex Team

Part-Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsFlexibility to pick shifts when available, benefits when maintaining 20 hours per week. This allows that if you are short they average by the quarter, the 20% associate discounts and other deals.

ConsLow pay, sometimes not always able to get shifts, however, once you get to know the various managers if needed you can come in an pick up hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication to the part time and Flex Team of what's new promo, updates, and things we don't hear as a FT employee.

Macys experience

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Coral Springs, FL

ProsGreat helping clients (customers) and the ability to build a great communication with the staff. Discount was great and worked on everything!

ConsMacys focus was always on opening up Macys card which I hated to badger the customers with

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

amazing

Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) Miami, FL

Prosthe paycheck, employee discount, weekly checks, friendships with employees

Conscustomers were rude most of the time

Advice to Senior Managementthe upper management should be more acknowledging

Sales Associate-different departments as needed

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Sarasota, FL

ProsOur top Manager jumps in and WORKS the floor-I've seen her resetting displays, pushing a rack down the aisle, even help me rebalance a display rack so no injury occurs
    I feel like the Macy's staff is extended Family, some have promotion to another store-feel like I'm losing family.
    When have problem, manager in charge available for advice and comes to help

ConsRecovery-everyone expected to replace clothes to selling area, sounds easy, but when big sale times 4 or more go back racks. Never ending
    Times air is too warm-customers have complained hot in store. One customer commented trouble breathing
    Unable to sit during shift, would appreciate stool at register, feet get tired
    Expected to get credit cared application each day

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease-more recovery staff! After big sale can look like hurricane blew through.
    Realize cost containment-please lower air so customers can shop and breathe
    Remember that some people are strrugling to pay bills, others want "points" for travel

Great for students!

Part-time Cosmetics Sales (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsPart-time flexible hours, ability to earn more based on commission (cosmetics), nice employees, great training program, if you work hard and are a little lucky - you could be hired by the actual brand!

Consmust be available weekends, very large company so may be lost in shuffle, lengthy hiring process for cosmetics

Macy's Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsFlexible schedule, organized scheduling, great people, great job for people interesting in part-time, wonderful discounts at the store.

ConsPoor training online computer training, very low pay, hard to work in multiple departments

Advice to Senior ManagementMore hands-on teaching/advice for new sales associates

Hard to move up!

Administrative Support Team Member (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible schedule and decent benefits.

ConsPay isn't great, really difficult to move up even after you've worked there for years without having gone through the EDP program. Higher ups don't help out young associates with college degrees looking to move up! Unreasonable expectations and overworked while being underpaid. I would constantly hear associates complaining about the poor management and pay, most people were trying to find a job elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue employees and give more of an incentive to work more and hire from within when young students or grads are looking to move up in the company. The people best fit for corporate and higher level jobs are the ones who had worked on the floor and with customers and experienced the sales and customer service side of the spectrum.

Its OK

RFID Specialist (Current Employee) Bowie, MD

ProsDiscounts and Macy' money.The people are fun to work with, co workers rule.

ConsThe pay… you don't get holidays until you have worked for 6 months

Advice to Senior ManagementLook within for people to move up in position. There are so many people with over a decade of managerial experience as a part time merchandiser of sales a

Not enough compensation

ProsThe discounts are good, especially when there are big sales. The other employees also make it worth coming to work because their friendly.

ConsI feel as though the employees work very hard to maintain the stores presentation but we don't get paid enough. From cleaning fitting rooms,to recovering the sales floor, handling customers and presenting star rewards as well as other promotions it gets a little overwhelming especially when the managers are constantly asking for more.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!