Macy's

5,288 Reviews

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren
Terry J. Lundgren
1,547 Ratings

Pros
  • the employee discount is good even though one must use their Macys card to get it (in 589 reviews)

• The company offers some flexibility in terms of work/life balance (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet (in 118 reviews)

• There is a great deal of pressure to sell Macy's credit cards to customers (in 373 reviews)

More Highlights

Good for now, lack of pay

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

Benefits
    Fulltime (35 hours)
    Able to pick some days off
    Convenient

Cons

Salary
    No place to move up
    Management

Retail Sales Associate - Read this if you're interested or recently already got a job as a sales associate at Macy's

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Macy's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

1) Flexible Scheduling - If you were scheduled a shift that you can't do (drops down 3 or 4 weeks of work schedule), you can advertise your shift but you have to do it right away so other associates that wants to pick-up hours can take that shift and you'll be clear of that shift. I say do it ASAP because if you do it later then nobody would want to pick up a last minute shift
    2) Pick-up shifts - Okay listen carefully! Shifts drops down EVERY friday but the picking up is Saturday. The executive office will tell you that you're allowed to start picking up Sunday morning. From experience and other associates telling me, you can start picking up Saturday at 7am SHARP. Be ready at 6:59am. Open/available shifts comes from the office (due to big sale events, they need more than usual associates working) AND from full time associates. They get their schedule AND advertise/pick-up shifts on the same day. So they get to advertise their shifts early bird style.
    3) Part-time Options - There are 5 different types of part-time option: Option 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. I'm not really familiar with Option 1 or 2. Option 5 gets 3-8 hours, Option 4 gets 12-20 hours, Option 1 and maybe 2 are full time which gets 32-38 hours. NOTE: The minimum to maximum hours for each option will be the scheduled shifts. The only way for you to get MORE hours is when you pick up later on. AND during the holidays of course. For example: As an option 5 you'll be scheduled 5 hours. When its time to pick up you, picked up, let's say, 9:45am-1:45pm (4 hours). So add that to your scheduled hours for that week, you have 9 hours. It's not a lot but thats why you gotta be a pro at picking up shifts. Holidays will do you good.
    4) Pay Frequency - Weekly!
    5) Associates/Co-workers - You will meet friends along the way. You'll see the good and the bad. You'll see who you get along with, stick with them. And stay away from those ones with nasty attitude.
    6) Good for people starting out in retail. You will really learn a lot.
    7) More hours Opportunity - I'm not really sure if this falls under pros or cons but I'll mention this anyway. Sometimes the store will be short on associates (called out, left early, etc.) and the managers will ask their associates on the floor if they would like to stay until a certain time. I said I wasn't sure if this was good or bad only because some people like the extra hours AND some probably already worked a long day and they don't want to stay any longer for that day. Oh and some has plans after their shift. Sometimes though it gets annoying, people just wanna go home and rest you know.
    8) Associate Discount - it's okay. It has its perks

Cons

1) Minimum wage. You'll probably get a small raise later maybe a year or two. But it's not much of a raise, a couple cents.
    2) "Sales Associate" - You pretty much do everything. You ring on the register, do returns, check fitting rooms, put back clothes. There are some days when you're the only one working in one department and it's not busy at all, and you'd go to the fitting rooms to check. I swear everytime I leave the service desk to do that, a customer will always show up when I'm not there. Really?? When you get out of the fitting room you see them and you have to run to them before they get impatient and leave.
    3) Catty associates - The full time associates that have been working there for ages (literally like 20 years or something) are very very protective and competitive over their sales goal. If there is a full time and a part time scheduled for one department (1 service desk with 2 registers maybe) you sure as hell bet that the full time will stay and hog the register while you have to put stuff back. My advice: Don't let them step all over you! They have goals to make, but so do you! If they ever tell you that they have to make their sales goal because they're full time, tell them that you do too! It's not always like this with every single associate. With the people I worked and got along with we took turns because we know how competitive ringing goes around. We helped each other out. I hope the same goes for you.
    4) Opening a credit - As a Macy's Retail Sales Associate, you are required to open credits - which is part of the job so it's fine. BUT the part that is not fine is when the managers constantly remind and tell you to open credits as they walk around the store and they see you. It's okay to tell me once or twice about it but it's NOT okay when you shove it down my throat. I know I have to get credits but you don't have to tell me like I'm deaf or disabled. Managers can sometimes make you feel like you're not trying your best with opening it, in other words, incompetent. It has great incentives, don't get me wrong. But please, ease on with the nagging. We're trying our best but not everyone wants to open one for reasons such as: bad credit, closed macys card to decrease payments/interest fee, not interested in opening one at all!
    5) Department assignment - Be careful on which departments you pick up when you try to get hours. Other departments are the best but some are just so boring and dead. My only advice is to keep yourself busy even if it's something you don't want to do. At least you're doing something.
    6) For people who wants to gain retail experience and some cash, this is the place for you. BUT if you want to make this your career, there's no future here for you. Some associates (mostly full time) have been here for the longest time and this is the only job for them, so just understand when they get too competitive or catty with ringing people out - that's pretty much their life.
    7) Easily burn out! - Take a day off or two, you will need it.

Bottom line:
    Every company/employer has its pros and cons, but don't be discouraged. A good work experience is great for future jobs. Remember, work is work. You can't be picky. Overall, Macy's is alright.

No. I'm not going to tell YOU how to do your job. It is your responsibility to look into things or situations that needs improvement. You should know what they are IF you really do pay attention to your associates.

Grrrr

I worked at Macy's

Pros

Great discounts you can go through the clothing while you work pretty okay pay not a too bad atmosphere

Cons

The co workers are annoying they are catty and can't get along with each other sort of annoying but easy to get through if you know how to ignore people

Learn how to hire people

Great place to work minus some of your employees

Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Dunwoody, GA
    Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Dunwoody, GA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very flexible, very laid back enviornment and good pay for what you do.

Cons

Some of the employees are very rude, nasty and teritorial of registered and making sales goals.

Be more genuine, and less fake nice.

macys is a good place

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Macy's

Pros

own boss unless manager is needed, good lunch times . You meet nice people and earn free things , easy hire

Cons

Working with people that are rude, rude customers, competition, cleaning fitting rooms can get CRAZY and nasty from customers

Be more understanding when it comes to sales and meeting goals unless your on the floor making and meeting a sales goal its not always easy and more understanding about the fitting rooms

Everyone was great to work with--professional, kind, helpful.

Former Employee - Counter Manager
    Former Employee - Counter Manager

I worked at Macy's

Pros

Managers are kind, humble, great people.

Cons

Selling credit card accounts with weekly quota as mandatory. Minimal raises. Newly hired employee received higher pay than me, and I was her manager.

Keep up that kind spirit because THAT is what makes Macy's successful!

sales associate

I have been working at Macy's as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

seasonal work I can pick my own shifts

Cons

only get paid minimum wage

Chaotic and disorganized

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I have been working at Macy's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good employee discounts, somewhat flexible schedule, good web site to review pay, schedules and benefits. Some managers are very good.

Cons

Massively disorganized operations, not enough support staff, very poor training, grumpy HR people and some managers who just cannot be bothered to actually help employees. Commissions sales creates cut throat environment and no guidance of how to work well with co workers in such an environment results in unprofessional situations between employees, often right in front of customers.

Start caring more about making the work environment efficient for you employees, it will translate into higher morale and better sales and goals results.

Good for college/high school

Former Employee - Caisher in Kenner, LA
    Former Employee - Caisher in Kenner, LA

I worked at Macy's

Pros

Easy job. Nice coworkers. No brainer job

Cons

Low pay. Not worth the time

they dont care.

Team Member

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Wayne, NJ
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Wayne, NJ

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

Good Managers, work-life balance, they give you time to settle in

Cons

Basic pay and not many career opportunities

Needs addition in employee incentives