Macy's

5,115 Reviews

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren
Terry J. Lundgren
1,488 Ratings

Pros
  • the employee discount is good even though one must use their Macys card to get it (in 573 reviews)

• The company offers some flexibility in terms of work/life balance (in 105 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a great deal of pressure to sell Macy's credit cards to customers (in 364 reviews)

• They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet (in 110 reviews)

More Highlights

typical retail organization

Current Employee - Sales Associate In Macy's in Leominster, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate In Macy's in Leominster, MA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

nice people to work with. a lot of complainers

Cons

pay is minimum to start and have to wait a year for review then most people get 40 cents

let people who want to move to management do so!

Retail Sales Associate - Read this if you're interested or recently already got a job as a sales associate at Macy's

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Macy's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

1) Flexible Scheduling - If you were scheduled a shift that you can't do (drops down 3 or 4 weeks of work schedule), you can advertise your shift but you have to do it right away so other associates that wants to pick-up hours can take that shift and you'll be clear of that shift. I say do it ASAP because if you do it later then nobody would want to pick up a last minute shift
    2) Pick-up shifts - Okay listen carefully! Shifts drops down EVERY friday but the picking up is Saturday. The executive office will tell you that you're allowed to start picking up Sunday morning. From experience and other associates telling me, you can start picking up Saturday at 7am SHARP. Be ready at 6:59am. Open/available shifts comes from the office (due to big sale events, they need more than usual associates working) AND from full time associates. They get their schedule AND advertise/pick-up shifts on the same day. So they get to advertise their shifts early bird style.
    3) Part-time Options - There are 5 different types of part-time option: Option 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. I'm not really familiar with Option 1 or 2. Option 5 gets 3-8 hours, Option 4 gets 12-20 hours, Option 1 and maybe 2 are full time which gets 32-38 hours. NOTE: The minimum to maximum hours for each option will be the scheduled shifts. The only way for you to get MORE hours is when you pick up later on. AND during the holidays of course. For example: As an option 5 you'll be scheduled 5 hours. When its time to pick up you, picked up, let's say, 9:45am-1:45pm (4 hours). So add that to your scheduled hours for that week, you have 9 hours. It's not a lot but thats why you gotta be a pro at picking up shifts. Holidays will do you good.
    4) Pay Frequency - Weekly!
    5) Associates/Co-workers - You will meet friends along the way. You'll see the good and the bad. You'll see who you get along with, stick with them. And stay away from those ones with nasty attitude.
    6) Good for people starting out in retail. You will really learn a lot.
    7) More hours Opportunity - I'm not really sure if this falls under pros or cons but I'll mention this anyway. Sometimes the store will be short on associates (called out, left early, etc.) and the managers will ask their associates on the floor if they would like to stay until a certain time. I said I wasn't sure if this was good or bad only because some people like the extra hours AND some probably already worked a long day and they don't want to stay any longer for that day. Oh and some has plans after their shift. Sometimes though it gets annoying, people just wanna go home and rest you know.
    8) Associate Discount - it's okay. It has its perks

Cons

1) Minimum wage. You'll probably get a small raise later maybe a year or two. But it's not much of a raise, a couple cents.
    2) "Sales Associate" - You pretty much do everything. You ring on the register, do returns, check fitting rooms, put back clothes. There are some days when you're the only one working in one department and it's not busy at all, and you'd go to the fitting rooms to check. I swear everytime I leave the service desk to do that, a customer will always show up when I'm not there. Really?? When you get out of the fitting room you see them and you have to run to them before they get impatient and leave.
    3) Catty associates - The full time associates that have been working there for ages (literally like 20 years or something) are very very protective and competitive over their sales goal. If there is a full time and a part time scheduled for one department (1 service desk with 2 registers maybe) you sure as hell bet that the full time will stay and hog the register while you have to put stuff back. My advice: Don't let them step all over you! They have goals to make, but so do you! If they ever tell you that they have to make their sales goal because they're full time, tell them that you do too! It's not always like this with every single associate. With the people I worked and got along with we took turns because we know how competitive ringing goes around. We helped each other out. I hope the same goes for you.
    4) Opening a credit - As a Macy's Retail Sales Associate, you are required to open credits - which is part of the job so it's fine. BUT the part that is not fine is when the managers constantly remind and tell you to open credits as they walk around the store and they see you. It's okay to tell me once or twice about it but it's NOT okay when you shove it down my throat. I know I have to get credits but you don't have to tell me like I'm deaf or disabled. Managers can sometimes make you feel like you're not trying your best with opening it, in other words, incompetent. It has great incentives, don't get me wrong. But please, ease on with the nagging. We're trying our best but not everyone wants to open one for reasons such as: bad credit, closed macys card to decrease payments/interest fee, not interested in opening one at all!
    5) Department assignment - Be careful on which departments you pick up when you try to get hours. Other departments are the best but some are just so boring and dead. My only advice is to keep yourself busy even if it's something you don't want to do. At least you're doing something.
    6) For people who wants to gain retail experience and some cash, this is the place for you. BUT if you want to make this your career, there's no future here for you. Some associates (mostly full time) have been here for the longest time and this is the only job for them, so just understand when they get too competitive or catty with ringing people out - that's pretty much their life.
    7) Easily burn out! - Take a day off or two, you will need it.

Bottom line:
    Every company/employer has its pros and cons, but don't be discouraged. A good work experience is great for future jobs. Remember, work is work. You can't be picky. Overall, Macy's is alright.

No. I'm not going to tell YOU how to do your job. It is your responsibility to look into things or situations that needs improvement. You should know what they are IF you really do pay attention to your associates.

The experience you get depends on your attitude.

I have been working at Macy's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Macy's is just like any retail job. The company has standards and expectations of who they want their employees to be. Employees are expected to open credit cards depending on how many hours a week they work. Full-timers are required to open at least 4 credit cards a week. Part-timers, I believe, 2 credit cards a week. Customers spend more money when they have a Macy's card which mean more sales and foot traffic in the store. Employees are compensated for opening cards with "Macy's Money" which are dollar amounts off coupons used towards purchases in the store. Employees receive 20% discounts and a few days a month receive extra 10% discount on top of regular 20% discount. Employees do have opportunities to grow if, they have the right attitude. Just like any job, your attitude can make or break you. I have seen people demoted and promoted all due to their attitudes. This is a sales-driven environment but, most areas are non-commissioned. Every employee is required to meet their sales goal on a daily basis by suggestive selling. The more you sell, the more respect you get and consideration for promotions. Macy's values their customers and encourages their employees to make decisions that best suits the customers needs. Macy's gives their employees the power to make decisions to satisfy the customer whatever the customer wants.

Cons

Just like most retailers, there is no work-life balance. Employees submit availability for schedules but, a computer dictates schedules. The holiday season requires all employees to rotate very early and very late hours. The store can open as early as 7am and close at 12am. Thanksgiving Day, the store opens in the early evening and doesn't close until between 10pm-12am Black Friday. There is a point system for attendance. All employees start with a certain amount of points and points are deducted based on being late or absent. Tardiness starting with 10 mins late results in a half point deduction. Calling out on a week day is a 1 point deduction. Calling out on a weekend day is a 2 point deduction. Points can be re-earned by being on time and at work on a 2 wk basis. A half point is earned every week if, there were no tardiness or call outs. Holiday season earns you points faster. The hourly pay is not enough for the work associates are required to do. All associates are required to have a client list and follow up on slow days. Most days, 1 person can be working 2 departments during busy hours. Severely understaffed and stressful due to cut backs in hours and staff. Most commissioned areas have non-commissioned associates competing with commissioned associates who are all trying to make their sales goals. Associates all have sales goals and can be terminated for not meeting goals.

Management should consider paying their employees more an hour. The reputation of the name Macy's alone gives most people the impression that associates make a decent living. Most employees are making $8.50 an hour and barely making ends meet.

A Former Stores Executive's Review of Company

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Macy's full-time

Pros

Workforce at the stores are friendly and caring. Prestigious titles for a business card. On the cusp of brick and mortar changes. Brand name well known. Empowerment of associates make them feel part of the team and a mover/shaker.

Cons

Being told to do more with less, constantly. Pay is not competitive to keep top talent. More trust and ability for stores to make change without constant corporate oversight. Aggressive goals that are not part of trend for the area that set up stores to fail and people to not make bonuses, esp when their data indicates customers are moving towards online purchasing. Inventory management is non-existent and lack of dedicated support to fix. Sending more emails does not mean better communication.

Training has been horrible thus far

I have been working at Macy's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

you can come in as scheduled and train and get paid for training

Cons

Ive been sitting in front of a computer for 3 days @ 5 hrs a day and no one has bothered to come in and assist or ask if I have questions. EVERYTHING you are supposed to know is via a computer program including how to use the register. I have to figure it out on my own and there is a ton of crap about pushing people to open charge accounts and just dumb stuff that is a waste of time in my opinion. Then you are thrown to the wolves to fend for yourself. And don't forget sales goals....ugh!

Need to get trainers that do more than throw you in a room in front of a computer and expect you to come out a star seller! No one bothers to help and no one seems to care to want to help.

Diluted brand with potential

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Macy's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As a commissioned sales rep, earnings are limitless and there are constant promotions that keep steady traffic through the store.

Cons

Overpriced goods of questionable quality. Employees are nameless to management. The Macy's brand seems to have lost its luster over the years.

Cut the computer based training and replace with in-class, human interaction. Level of customer service at Macy's is a product of ineffective computer training. Also, raise standards for goods promoted and sold.

The best retailer I've experienced

Current Employee - ESTEE LAUDER COUNTER MANAGER in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - ESTEE LAUDER COUNTER MANAGER in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Macy's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great management program, great pay, great discount incentives, flexible time off, service education and more.

Cons

Can be long hours and most weekends. Cosmetics there are lots of events so planning vacations can be a hurdle.

Always listen to the people

A great place for a carreer

Current Employee - Senior Vice President Merchandising in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President Merchandising in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I started as an executive trainee and rose to a senior management position within 10 years

Cons

You give up most weekends

customer service could be improved

Great first job and college students so flexible!

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Specialist in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Specialist in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible, advancement, hour lunch, overtime on holidays after a year, little supervision

Cons

Pay, not enough coverage on extreme sale days which is every single weekend, too much work for the pay

More training for new employees

Amazing team!

Current Employee - Administrative Support Team Member in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Support Team Member in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love the dynamic of this location. Plenty of parking and east to find.

Cons

Unfortunately they do not offer an AST position full time meaning you'll have to definitely find a second job.

Keep up the great work. With the workload AST is responsible for start wage at $15.