Macy's Reviews

Reset
Macy's Chairman & CEO Terry J. Lundgren
Terry J. Lundgren
2,126 Ratings

Pros
  • 2- Employee discount (on top of store markdowns) is a wonderful thing (in 589 reviews)

• hours are balanced for work life balance (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance as the company struggles to compete with other stores by offering lame OneDay sales with peculiar hours (in 118 reviews)

• Morning meetings consisted of the store manager basically telling you to "push" store credit cards on customers (in 373 reviews)

7,103 Employee Reviews

Retail Sales Associate - Read this if you're interested or recently already got a job as a sales associate at Macy's

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) Flexible Scheduling - If you were scheduled a shift that you can't do (drops down 3 or 4 weeks of work schedule), you can advertise your shift but you have to do it right away so other associates that wants to pick-up hours can take that shift and you'll be clear of that shift. I say do it ASAP because if you do it later then nobody would want to pick up a last minute shift 2) Pick-up shifts - Okay listen carefully! Shifts drops down EVERY friday but the picking up is Saturday. The executive office will tell you that you're allowed to start picking up Sunday morning. From experience and other associates telling me, you can start picking up Saturday at 7am SHARP. Be ready at 6:59am. Open/available shifts comes from the office (due to big sale events, they need more than usual associates working) AND from full time associates. They get their schedule AND advertise/pick-up shifts on the same day. So they get to advertise their shifts early bird style. 3) Part-time Options - There are 5 different types of part-time option: Option 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. I'm not really familiar with Option 1 or 2. Option 5 gets 3-8 hours, Option 4 gets 12-20 hours, Option 1 and maybe 2 are full time which gets 32-38 hours. NOTE: The minimum to maximum hours for each option will be the scheduled shifts. The only way for you to get MORE hours is when you pick up later on. AND during the holidays of course. For example: As an option 5 you'll be scheduled 5 hours. When its time to pick up you, picked up, let's say, 9:45am-1:45pm (4 hours). So add that to your scheduled hours for that week, you have 9 hours. It's not a lot but thats why you gotta be a pro at picking up shifts. Holidays will do you good. 4) Pay Frequency - Weekly! 5) Associates/Co-workers - You will meet friends along the way. You'll see the good and the bad. You'll see who you get along with, stick with them. And stay away from those ones with nasty attitude. 6) Good for people starting out in retail. You will really learn a lot. 7) More hours Opportunity - I'm not really sure if this falls under pros or cons but I'll mention this anyway. Sometimes the store will be short on associates (called out, left early, etc.) and the managers will ask their associates on the floor if they would like to stay until a certain time. I said I wasn't sure if this was good or bad only because some people like the extra hours AND some probably already worked a long day and they don't want to stay any longer for that day. Oh and some has plans after their shift. Sometimes though it gets annoying, people just wanna go home and rest you know. 8) Associate Discount - it's okay. It has its perks

Cons

1) Minimum wage. You'll probably get a small raise later maybe a year or two. But it's not much of a raise, a couple cents. 2) "Sales Associate" - You pretty much do everything. You ring on the register, do returns, check fitting rooms, put back clothes. There are some days when you're the only one working in one department and it's not busy at all, and you'd go to the fitting rooms to check. I swear everytime I leave the service desk to do that, a customer will always show up when I'm not there. Really?? When you get out of the fitting room you see them and you have to run to them before they get impatient and leave. 3) Catty associates - The full time associates that have been working there for ages (literally like 20 years or something) are very very protective and competitive over their sales goal. If there is a full time and a part time scheduled for one department (1 service desk with 2 registers maybe) you sure as hell bet that the full time will stay and hog the register while you have to put stuff back. My advice: Don't let them step all over you! They have goals to make, but so do you! If they ever tell you that they have to make their sales goal because they're full time, tell them that you do too! It's not always like this with every single associate. With the people I worked and got along with we took turns because we know how competitive ringing goes around. We helped each other out. I hope the same goes for you. 4) Opening a credit - As a Macy's Retail Sales Associate, you are required to open credits - which is part of the job so it's fine. BUT the part that is not fine is when the managers constantly remind and tell you to open credits as they walk around the store and they see you. It's okay to tell me once or twice about it but it's NOT okay when you shove it down my throat. I know I have to get credits but you don't have to tell me like I'm deaf or disabled. Managers can sometimes make you feel like you're not trying your best with opening it, in other words, incompetent. It has great incentives, don't get me wrong. But please, ease on with the nagging. We're trying our best but not everyone wants to open one for reasons such as: bad credit, closed macys card to decrease payments/interest fee, not interested in opening one at all! 5) Department assignment - Be careful on which departments you pick up when you try to get hours. Other departments are the best but some are just so boring and dead. My only advice is to keep yourself busy even if it's something you don't want to do. At least you're doing something. 6) For people who wants to gain retail experience and some cash, this is the place for you. BUT if you want to make this your career, there's no future here for you. Some associates (mostly full time) have been here for the longest time and this is the only job for them, so just understand when they get too competitive or catty with ringing people out - that's pretty much their life. 7) Easily burn out! - Take a day off or two, you will need it. Bottom line: Every company/employer has its pros and cons, but don't be discouraged. A good work experience is great for future jobs. Remember, work is work. You can't be picky. Overall, Macy's is alright.

Advice to Management

No. I'm not going to tell YOU how to do your job. It is your responsibility to look into things or situations that needs improvement. You should know what they are IF you really do pay attention to your associates.

Why Macy's?

I worked at Macy's

Pros

The only reason that someone should stay at Macy's is because of the management. They have very great management system. They are caring, and understanding. You can pick up shifts as many as you want. Even to 50 something hours a week. You will have your own freedom when to go to lunch or dinner. You will get points but being punctual and lose but not being one. You will earn PTO eveb as a part time employee. And it is very easy to get promoted if you are a very determind, and driven person.

Cons

Most of the good benefits starts if you work constantly above certain jours, like insurance. Tuition reimbursment, and etc..

Visual Merchandiser

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Kingston, NY
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Kingston, NY

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of overtime, friendly employees, able to be creative

Cons

Long hours, not so great pay, lots of traveling

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees ideas

5. Customer service sales associate

Former Employee - Customer Service in Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Newark, DE

I worked at Macy's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with the public.In sales and customer service.

Cons

No down sides learned something everyday

Advice to Management

not at that time

Executive Administrative Assistant

Current Employee - Executive Administrator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Executive Administrator in New York, NY

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Community Give back. Pleasing the customer. Cornering the retail market

Cons

Compensation, difficult to get promoted

Advice to Management

sensitivity training needed

recovery

Current Employee - Recovery in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Recovery in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I learned some good sales tactics and it was a great way to help other women feel good about themselves.

Cons

They made it hard to move up with in the company.

8. Fragrance Ringer

Former Employee - Fragrance Ringer in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Fragrance Ringer in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Macy's (Less than a year)

Pros

Mainly female co workers. Really relaxed environment, no pressure.

Cons

Nothing notable on the top of my head.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

9. Great Positive Environment

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Kahala, HI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Kahala, HI

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff Effective training programs Decent benefits

Cons

Working hours of available

10. Receiver

I worked at Macy's part-time

Pros

they hire within the store and there a several growth opportunities, great hours for a student, raises com pretty fast.

Cons

Not alot of hours or people working

Advice to Management

It take the receiving team to process a truck in 24 hours. Give them 24 hours not 6.

11. Overall great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loveland, CO

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

You are apart of an amazing team of people who just want you to succeed and if you put the effort and dedication in there are many opportunities to move up with the company.

Cons

The company expects a lot from you and keeps extending responsibilities but not wages.

Advice to Management

The sales floor needs more coverage on a daily basis to accomplish day to day operations and to help our customers.

Showing 7,103 of 7,152 reviews