Macy's

5,536 Reviews

Macy's Chairman & CEO Terry J. Lundgren
Terry J. Lundgren
1,648 Ratings

Pros
  • the employee discount is good even though one must use their Macys card to get it (in 589 reviews)

• The company offers some flexibility in terms of work/life balance (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet (in 118 reviews)

• There is a great deal of pressure to sell Macy's credit cards to customers (in 373 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales Associate Flex Team

Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Macy's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility to pick shifts when available, benefits when maintaining 20 hours per week. This allows that if you are short they average by the quarter, the 20% associate discounts and other deals.

Cons

Low pay, sometimes not always able to get shifts, however, once you get to know the various managers if needed you can come in an pick up hours.

Communication to the part time and Flex Team of what's new promo, updates, and things we don't hear as a FT employee.

Retail Sales Associate - Read this if you're interested or recently already got a job as a sales associate at Macy's

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Macy's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

1) Flexible Scheduling - If you were scheduled a shift that you can't do (drops down 3 or 4 weeks of work schedule), you can advertise your shift but you have to do it right away so other associates that wants to pick-up hours can take that shift and you'll be clear of that shift. I say do it ASAP because if you do it later then nobody would want to pick up a last minute shift
    2) Pick-up shifts - Okay listen carefully! Shifts drops down EVERY friday but the picking up is Saturday. The executive office will tell you that you're allowed to start picking up Sunday morning. From experience and other associates telling me, you can start picking up Saturday at 7am SHARP. Be ready at 6:59am. Open/available shifts comes from the office (due to big sale events, they need more than usual associates working) AND from full time associates. They get their schedule AND advertise/pick-up shifts on the same day. So they get to advertise their shifts early bird style.
    3) Part-time Options - There are 5 different types of part-time option: Option 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. I'm not really familiar with Option 1 or 2. Option 5 gets 3-8 hours, Option 4 gets 12-20 hours, Option 1 and maybe 2 are full time which gets 32-38 hours. NOTE: The minimum to maximum hours for each option will be the scheduled shifts. The only way for you to get MORE hours is when you pick up later on. AND during the holidays of course. For example: As an option 5 you'll be scheduled 5 hours. When its time to pick up you, picked up, let's say, 9:45am-1:45pm (4 hours). So add that to your scheduled hours for that week, you have 9 hours. It's not a lot but thats why you gotta be a pro at picking up shifts. Holidays will do you good.
    4) Pay Frequency - Weekly!
    5) Associates/Co-workers - You will meet friends along the way. You'll see the good and the bad. You'll see who you get along with, stick with them. And stay away from those ones with nasty attitude.
    6) Good for people starting out in retail. You will really learn a lot.
    7) More hours Opportunity - I'm not really sure if this falls under pros or cons but I'll mention this anyway. Sometimes the store will be short on associates (called out, left early, etc.) and the managers will ask their associates on the floor if they would like to stay until a certain time. I said I wasn't sure if this was good or bad only because some people like the extra hours AND some probably already worked a long day and they don't want to stay any longer for that day. Oh and some has plans after their shift. Sometimes though it gets annoying, people just wanna go home and rest you know.
    8) Associate Discount - it's okay. It has its perks

Cons

1) Minimum wage. You'll probably get a small raise later maybe a year or two. But it's not much of a raise, a couple cents.
    2) "Sales Associate" - You pretty much do everything. You ring on the register, do returns, check fitting rooms, put back clothes. There are some days when you're the only one working in one department and it's not busy at all, and you'd go to the fitting rooms to check. I swear everytime I leave the service desk to do that, a customer will always show up when I'm not there. Really?? When you get out of the fitting room you see them and you have to run to them before they get impatient and leave.
    3) Catty associates - The full time associates that have been working there for ages (literally like 20 years or something) are very very protective and competitive over their sales goal. If there is a full time and a part time scheduled for one department (1 service desk with 2 registers maybe) you sure as hell bet that the full time will stay and hog the register while you have to put stuff back. My advice: Don't let them step all over you! They have goals to make, but so do you! If they ever tell you that they have to make their sales goal because they're full time, tell them that you do too! It's not always like this with every single associate. With the people I worked and got along with we took turns because we know how competitive ringing goes around. We helped each other out. I hope the same goes for you.
    4) Opening a credit - As a Macy's Retail Sales Associate, you are required to open credits - which is part of the job so it's fine. BUT the part that is not fine is when the managers constantly remind and tell you to open credits as they walk around the store and they see you. It's okay to tell me once or twice about it but it's NOT okay when you shove it down my throat. I know I have to get credits but you don't have to tell me like I'm deaf or disabled. Managers can sometimes make you feel like you're not trying your best with opening it, in other words, incompetent. It has great incentives, don't get me wrong. But please, ease on with the nagging. We're trying our best but not everyone wants to open one for reasons such as: bad credit, closed macys card to decrease payments/interest fee, not interested in opening one at all!
    5) Department assignment - Be careful on which departments you pick up when you try to get hours. Other departments are the best but some are just so boring and dead. My only advice is to keep yourself busy even if it's something you don't want to do. At least you're doing something.
    6) For people who wants to gain retail experience and some cash, this is the place for you. BUT if you want to make this your career, there's no future here for you. Some associates (mostly full time) have been here for the longest time and this is the only job for them, so just understand when they get too competitive or catty with ringing people out - that's pretty much their life.
    7) Easily burn out! - Take a day off or two, you will need it.

Bottom line:
    Every company/employer has its pros and cons, but don't be discouraged. A good work experience is great for future jobs. Remember, work is work. You can't be picky. Overall, Macy's is alright.

No. I'm not going to tell YOU how to do your job. It is your responsibility to look into things or situations that needs improvement. You should know what they are IF you really do pay attention to your associates.

It was a wonderful experience work at Macy's. I learned a lot about people and social issues and how to help people.

Former Employee - Administrative Support Team Associate in Buford, GA
    Former Employee - Administrative Support Team Associate in Buford, GA

I worked at Macy's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Macy's was a challenge that I enjoyed. I made some good friends. My days at Macy's were always busy and there was never a dull moment.

Cons

It was a retail store. The holidays were our busy time of the year. I worked hard and longer.

Upper Management had a hard job all of the time. With change in the company on policies and change with merchandise. They even has to deal with changes in the stores make the store more appealing.

Buyer

Former Employee - Buyer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Buyer in New York, NY

I worked at Macy's

Pros

great place to work
    opportunities to get involved
    good values

Cons

long hours
    star people get lost in shuffle

hard for working moms - need flexibility

Fun during the Holiday

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at Macy's

Pros

Getting to know the Macy's store and clothes. Getting the employ discount. Working but at the same time browsing for stuff to buy.

Cons

Big store and takes awhile to know where everything is...you will get asked once every 5 minutes where something is. Employs that have been working there for who knows how long shun you and make you feel not welcome. Mostly the older ones.

Better employ discounts, the average unsatisfied customer ends up getting the better deal most of the time. Not to mention most of them have coupons and macys card which ends up better deals than employs. And another thing...get a easier way to sign in, during the holiday I waited 10-30 minutes to either sign in or log out due to all the registers being busy.

Very warming and a lot of personality

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

The benefits and the experience. As well as the great rewards

Cons

The customers can sometimes be very mean but Yes, I understand must still accommodate them. Also the credit cards as employees. In order to receive your discount you must hold a macy's card which I hate.

Please contact your employee's for more hours. Besides that your great!!

could be worse

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

the ability to make your own schedule is a big plus, great coworkers and some great managers as well. discount is nice as well

Cons

HR per macys can be untrustworthy, as is corporate. you are seen as a number. you are also forced to open as many credit cards for macys as possible. benefits are not good.

I enjoyed my time there and recommend it.

I worked at Macy's

Pros

It is a great work environment and you get great employee discounts. Worked there as a seasonal employee and it was enjoyable.

Cons

The schedules are not as flexible as they should be and there should be more employee benefits and employee compensations.

Pay higher.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Macy's

Pros

Alot. I loved working at Macy's. Every morning they have team rallies some day its annoying but most of the time they're enjoyable. The managers are really friendly. Some day you meet your sale goals with ease. They have an open door policy so any issues you can talk to your manager. You have some opportunities to advance they do tend to promote from within. You meet a lot of different people. Lots of benefits (employees discounts, big sale days, Macy's bucks). You can pick up open shifts and can work a lot of hours if you want. You can give away your shift if you can't work without having to get your manager involved if you are a student or work another job you can actually have a life.

Cons

You have to stand the majority if not all your shifts. Fitting rooms tend to get overloaded and sometimes its hard to work the floor and clean the fitting room. Some associates are very selfish and they do tend to be pushy towards customers depending on your demeanor you may not like that. Some days are slow and you have too much associates working. You are pushed to get customers to open Macy's card.

Good job so far. Some manager are pushy about opening Macy's card and making sells when the store is empty.

Great position if you want to work hard and move up.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

Good benefits, starting salary, a lot of room for growth potential.

Cons

Weekend and holiday hours are draining

The employee discount is good but an even higher one would encourage us to shop even more