Macy's

2.9 4,255 reviews

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren

Terry J. Lundgren

(1,207 ratings)

Pros
  • The only "pro" about this job is the employee discount, but it isn't even that great(in 486 reviews)

• Work Life balance, advancement opportunities are a great part of Macy's(in 94 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't push their credit card down the customers throat you get fired(in 315 reviews)

• They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet(in 95 reviews)

4,255 Employee Reviews

OK place to work part time

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Troy, MI

Pros-flexible schedule
    -great discount
    -great products
    -fun coworkers
    -did I mention the discount?

ConsThe hours were long and the extremely low hourly wages, did not compensate for the irate customers I often had to deal with. Also my sales goal was outrageous, and with 8 other people working in my department it was always a struggle to meet it.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your associates more, as they interact with customers daily. If you are going to send customers coupons, they should work on everything, it is a headache for your associates to have to explain all of the coupon restrictions, a hundred times a day.

You get out of it what you put in

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Bethesda, MD

ProsCo-workers & Management - the majority of the people I worked with were amazing. I am still close to one of my managers today and I consider her a mentor. If you work hard your managers will notice. This will make your experience better.
    Employee Discount
    Growth - I worked very hard during my time at Macy's and within six months had already received two promotions, which ended me working in the cosmetics department.

ConsThe Macy's I worked at forced us to join a Union. Being a part-time employee getting paid a quarter above minimum wage, a Union was something I did not want to pour my money into.
    The customers; management at Macy's has given the customer way too much freedom for too long. Customers now know that if they treat an employee like dirt by complaining about something completely out of the stores control, they will be rewarded with a coupon or "Macy's Money" to help them remain loyal customers. This causes the employees to be treated like dirt on a consistent basis, and it is more prevalent during the holiday seasons.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more forceful with customers; the customer is not always right and it is time they were treated that way. Also, increase your starting base salary. A quarter above minimum wage is ridiculous for a sales job at Macy's (this is in Maryland); it's a large department store and when I worked there I had a multitude of tasks to complete within a shift and was always asked to stay overtime to help clean other departments. Minimum wage jobs should be left for teenager positions at small stores, not large department stores.

Sales Associate

ProsPeople were fun to work with

ConsCouldn't always work as much as I wanted to

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Macy's as a department store is very concerned with image.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood employee discount off the back end 20% on most purchases. Able to work independently within framework of job.

ConsPerhaps upper management is too concerned with image and creating a buzz about the Macy's brand. The support staff are less valued than those at the stores or .com. Recent cutbacks and consolidations in staff roles. Goals, roles, increased automation changed the focus of the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementImage seems to be a primary concern.

Very good. Great training. Very accountable

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt is a great company. Great coaching and training.

Conscutthroat. If you thrive in a very competitive environment then great place for you. If you prefer team work and warm and fuzzy then not so good.

Good resume builder, but terrible pay and hard work goes unnoticed.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsEmployee discount (20% off) when your statement arrives.

Macy Money. When you open a charge they give you at least $3 store credit. The more you open in a month, the higher the incentive.

Various work schedule for those who like to sleep in a bit. Good for those who dislike working 9 to 5.

PTO is pretty good but there are some issues on when and how you can use it.

Part-time status offers semi-health benefits like, dental, short/long term disability, and life insurance.

Meeting new people and build up your connections.

You work at Macy's! This is still a status symbol. Employers will look at this as, "Wow!"

ConsTerritorial Sales Associates- Very aggressive! Know your selling zone and don't expect much teamwork. It's a dog eat dog world there.

Favoritism among employees sometimes clicky.

Limited advice from HR on career advancement.

Your sales and credit accounts only matter. Integrity? It's definitely lacking. Some Sales Associates will try to sneak in a way to open credit cards. Most of the time, the customers didn't know they got a new charge opened even though they already have a Macy's Card. (Of course, the customers did have to punch in certain information. But still, it's not right.)

Pay is criminal, minimum wage. This kind of work requires clients and processing orders over the phone and in person, and high and unobtainable sales goals. Therefore, the wage should start at $12.00/hr.

Expect a negative yearly review. Everything was judged on how my supervisor thought I performed, not just sales. So, if you have a supervisor who doesn't like you or feels threatened by you because you work harder than your boss, then, you better be looking for a new job or they'll just bring you down with them.

PTO- you CANNOT take any paid time off from November until January. Notta! So, you need to use it before November or you lose out! If you leave the company and take all your PTO, be warned, you will have to pay back some of those hours.

Also, expect to work from Thanksgiving night (around 7 pm) OR on Black Friday. If you are scheduled on Thanksgiving, then you get an hour and a half each hour you are scheduled. If you are scheduled on Black Friday you do not and get screwed especially when you can't spend the holiday with family anyway. Those two days require a 10 hours shift, so be well rested for chaos.

Hours- Some weeks you'll get 35 hours, then you'll get 6 hours. The pay check is very inconsistent, so I really suggest you have a regular full-time job instead of scraping pennies everyday and trying to find out what you can eat this week.

Your attire must be all black except accessories and shoes. One day, I have actually received feedback that my style wasn't stylish enough. Well, when you make little money and you're running around hunting customers down and sweating like a pig it's a little hard. The day of working at a department store and looking pretty all the time and standing in front of the register is over.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't give extra work to employees who are already working hard enough. Go and talk to Sales Associates who aren't doing their job, especially recovery and product knowledge. What are you, afraid??

Hovering also doesn't help, if you have nothing to do, why not lend a hand?

Oh, managers. Listen to me bark. Now, do your job! I know that corporate breathes down your back anytime they visit, but don't you have an idea when they're coming? I understand corporate can make pop-in visits, but at least prepare your self when they come. Don't dump extra work at the last moment. Hide the racks! Straighten the perimeter! Check the fitting rooms! Are the displays up to par? Use your MAGIC on every customer. This is a frantic environment to work in when this happens. Chill out, and pace yourself with daily tasks so this doesn't happen. Refer to the first advice I said to management.

Discuss any special tasks to your employees like, overtime, key days, other opportunities. etc. Don't just pick your special few. No one else can advance in the company like that.

Monthly committee members are usually full-time employees who are over 40 years old. What's wrong not having a part-time or younger member? It's very unfair, and I don't feel comfortable giving feedback. When I discreetly gave feedback, people knew who I was and confronted me of the topic directly. I kept it discreet for a reason so my reputation wouldn't be at stake. But, they were eager to say the least. Please be careful what you say when giving corrective feedback, even if it's a private matter. There's lots of gossip and someone always wants a bite of that.

Not bad...but nothing to get excited about.

Visual Trimmer (Current Employee) DFW, TX

ProsThe discount on top of their never-ending sales is a definite pro...
    Everyone is fairly friendly and it's an easy environment to blend into. The job itself has the potential to be very interesting and productive with the right organization, planning , and leadership to follow.
    The job is easy-- not too much micromanagement- my immediate manager is very hands-on and involved in the day-to-day tasks of the job.

ConsThe pay is low...but it is a retail environment.
    The training is not intimate at all- very formatted and it had very little bearing on the job I was to perform.
    It was totally impersonal--I had to sit in front of a computer for 6 hours--I thought I was going to die of pure boredom.
    There was no organized job related training-- I was subjected to a very unauthentic cheerleader type rally where I was introduced to the sales floor teams-- at meetings that had absolutely nothing to do with the job as visual trimmer.

It's OK

Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) Wesley Chapel, FL

ProsEmployee discount with monthly "extra 10" and semi-annual extra 20, weekly paycheck, associates are great, opportunity to learn various merchandise, flexible hours, fair holiday pay policy,

ConsHourly pay rate is too low, commissioned associates hammered by returns, super small paycheck during slow retail times, non-responsive management, unrealistic new credit card goals, scheduling issues with "feast or famine" coverage on the floor, HR department can be difficult to deal with on the store level

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to what your emoployees are really saying - you spend a fortune on an annual engagement survey but don't really listen to associates during the feedback meetings.

Not bad for a LP job

Loss Prevention Detective (Former Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsThe store overall had good workers that would listen and perform LP policies.
    The LPM was a good one, had good knowledge.
    Basically make my schedule with a few exceptions.

ConsCamera systems were dated.
    Good boss, but did use me as a reason for him to work early shifts.
    Boss didn't answer his phone much.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your LP staff a little more. Remember what it was like when you were in the shoes and work that.

Fun overall

Loss Prevention Detective (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsLow pay for the amount of work required.

Consno bonuses and lazy coworkers

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!