Macy's Reviews

4,663 Reviews

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren
Terry J. Lundgren
1,340 Ratings

Pros
  • The only "pro" about this job is the employee discount, but it isn't even that great (in 496 reviews)

• The company offers some flexibility in terms of work/life balance (in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't push their credit card down the customers throat you get fired (in 326 reviews)

• They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet (in 100 reviews)

More Highlights

Okay for first job but should move on

I worked at Macy's

Pros

other sales associates were nice

Cons

not really a good environment

Customer service

I worked at Macy's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great place to work whileattending school.

Cons

Low wages. Long hours. Customers can be mean.

Wholesome, excellent

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

Large company, room for growth

Cons

Long hours, only for a month

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Beauty advisor -PT

I have been working at Macy's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent opportunity for hard work associates. Employees discount ��, friends & family ��. Lots of hours for holidays

Cons

Nothing wrong with Macys. The issues are with lazy people that just want to go there & don't do nothing besides taken lots of breaks, gossip & talk about management.

Please hire team work, honest people. & watch out for rude, unprofessional group of people. Remember one bad apple will spoil the rest of the good apples.

I enjoyed my holiday season at Macy's Concord, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked the holiday season, the employee discount in combination with the seasonal discounts were a great perk. Everyone worked as a team. This company has a solid identity and a huge commitment to customers.

Cons

I felt the one day training was a bit of an overload - but if you just concentrate on transactions on how to do the register transactions things get clear pretty quickly. Also signing up for hours online often availability was difficult to get.

Seasonal employees are just told to report to their assigned department - however it is very difficult to put together how to get hours and who to check in with when management is so busy with the holiday. Often I believe they just assume you know.

Great for student

Current Employee - Fragrance Associate  in  Fairfield, CA
    Current Employee - Fragrance Associate in Fairfield, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits, commission was okay, friendly staff

Cons

Long hours, hard working around school schedule, standing on a hard floor for long hours.

A good company to work for

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate  in  Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Spokane, WA

I worked at Macy's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Management and co workers were friendly and fun to work with/for. I actually enjoyed going to work and I enjoyed the people I spent my time with there. It makes a huge difference when your management and co workers are good people.

Cons

The hours for a holiday hire are not very flexible nor ideal. Some were overnight or until midnight. I had a hard time balancing spending time with my family over the holidays and being at work. I also was very sick when we did overnight inventory and they did not allow me to call out. I had to go in, and because of that night I got even more sick.

Just keep being friendly with your employees! It makes going to work fun!

For a part time retail job, it's not bad!

I have been working at Macy's part-time

Pros

Lots of focus on customer service training, Associates are encouraged/ "empowered" to make decisions to benefit the customer. Lots of employee incentives to sell more/ open more credit cards. Pretty good employee discount and great community on the sales teams.

Cons

Management at my location steadily went downnhill. In the year I worked there we had four managers come in and out, just in my department. There was also a general lack in communications from management to support to sales teams. High Employee turnover

Make sure the managers are willing to stay in a department for more than a couple months, and invest in more training.

Macys West

Former Employee - Division Control Manager for MW  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Division Control Manager for MW in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Promotions offered from within. Training offered for each position. Excellent team of leaders proficient in their fields. There was a strong sense of team play. Compensation was fair for the market place.

Cons

no real cons! Macy's encouraged creative problem solvers. Projects were financed based on providing high levels of customer service. HR maitained an open door policy.

Maintain investment in company associates.

It's nice that you had the opportunity to enjoy that during your stay

Former Employee - Macys Sales Associate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Macys Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

big data analytics and pricing software uses internal data to create pricing strategies, improve sales negotiations, and outperform the competition.

Cons

Design Describe your corporate dilemma and obtain free advice by the world's greatest thinkers.your own Converse sneaker today!

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!