Macy's

5,472 Reviews

Macy's Chairman & CEO Terry J. Lundgren
Terry J. Lundgren
1,618 Ratings

Pros
  • the employee discount is good even though one must use their Macys card to get it (in 589 reviews)

• The company offers some flexibility in terms of work/life balance (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet (in 118 reviews)

• There is a great deal of pressure to sell Macy's credit cards to customers (in 373 reviews)

More Highlights

Working for Macy's is a great place to start.

Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

It is a huge and very well known organization.
    You can gain a lot of useful experience.
    Your co-workers are all great people.

Cons

The work never, ever stops and your workdays are very long and grueling.
    You have only 6 paid Holidays off per year.
    Compared to the rest of the industry, you are paid less for the same position.
    It is extremely difficult to advance because the company usually doesn't promote from within.
    Lack of accountability among middle management.
    There is an unfair distribution of work responsibility .

Promote more people based on merit rather than likability and re-evaluate overall approach towards talent retention.
    Conduct a thorough review of the distribution of responsibility at all levels.
    Move away from being such a promotional company and hold better sales, less often.

Retail Sales Associate - Read this if you're interested or recently already got a job as a sales associate at Macy's

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Macy's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

1) Flexible Scheduling - If you were scheduled a shift that you can't do (drops down 3 or 4 weeks of work schedule), you can advertise your shift but you have to do it right away so other associates that wants to pick-up hours can take that shift and you'll be clear of that shift. I say do it ASAP because if you do it later then nobody would want to pick up a last minute shift
    2) Pick-up shifts - Okay listen carefully! Shifts drops down EVERY friday but the picking up is Saturday. The executive office will tell you that you're allowed to start picking up Sunday morning. From experience and other associates telling me, you can start picking up Saturday at 7am SHARP. Be ready at 6:59am. Open/available shifts comes from the office (due to big sale events, they need more than usual associates working) AND from full time associates. They get their schedule AND advertise/pick-up shifts on the same day. So they get to advertise their shifts early bird style.
    3) Part-time Options - There are 5 different types of part-time option: Option 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. I'm not really familiar with Option 1 or 2. Option 5 gets 3-8 hours, Option 4 gets 12-20 hours, Option 1 and maybe 2 are full time which gets 32-38 hours. NOTE: The minimum to maximum hours for each option will be the scheduled shifts. The only way for you to get MORE hours is when you pick up later on. AND during the holidays of course. For example: As an option 5 you'll be scheduled 5 hours. When its time to pick up you, picked up, let's say, 9:45am-1:45pm (4 hours). So add that to your scheduled hours for that week, you have 9 hours. It's not a lot but thats why you gotta be a pro at picking up shifts. Holidays will do you good.
    4) Pay Frequency - Weekly!
    5) Associates/Co-workers - You will meet friends along the way. You'll see the good and the bad. You'll see who you get along with, stick with them. And stay away from those ones with nasty attitude.
    6) Good for people starting out in retail. You will really learn a lot.
    7) More hours Opportunity - I'm not really sure if this falls under pros or cons but I'll mention this anyway. Sometimes the store will be short on associates (called out, left early, etc.) and the managers will ask their associates on the floor if they would like to stay until a certain time. I said I wasn't sure if this was good or bad only because some people like the extra hours AND some probably already worked a long day and they don't want to stay any longer for that day. Oh and some has plans after their shift. Sometimes though it gets annoying, people just wanna go home and rest you know.
    8) Associate Discount - it's okay. It has its perks

Cons

1) Minimum wage. You'll probably get a small raise later maybe a year or two. But it's not much of a raise, a couple cents.
    2) "Sales Associate" - You pretty much do everything. You ring on the register, do returns, check fitting rooms, put back clothes. There are some days when you're the only one working in one department and it's not busy at all, and you'd go to the fitting rooms to check. I swear everytime I leave the service desk to do that, a customer will always show up when I'm not there. Really?? When you get out of the fitting room you see them and you have to run to them before they get impatient and leave.
    3) Catty associates - The full time associates that have been working there for ages (literally like 20 years or something) are very very protective and competitive over their sales goal. If there is a full time and a part time scheduled for one department (1 service desk with 2 registers maybe) you sure as hell bet that the full time will stay and hog the register while you have to put stuff back. My advice: Don't let them step all over you! They have goals to make, but so do you! If they ever tell you that they have to make their sales goal because they're full time, tell them that you do too! It's not always like this with every single associate. With the people I worked and got along with we took turns because we know how competitive ringing goes around. We helped each other out. I hope the same goes for you.
    4) Opening a credit - As a Macy's Retail Sales Associate, you are required to open credits - which is part of the job so it's fine. BUT the part that is not fine is when the managers constantly remind and tell you to open credits as they walk around the store and they see you. It's okay to tell me once or twice about it but it's NOT okay when you shove it down my throat. I know I have to get credits but you don't have to tell me like I'm deaf or disabled. Managers can sometimes make you feel like you're not trying your best with opening it, in other words, incompetent. It has great incentives, don't get me wrong. But please, ease on with the nagging. We're trying our best but not everyone wants to open one for reasons such as: bad credit, closed macys card to decrease payments/interest fee, not interested in opening one at all!
    5) Department assignment - Be careful on which departments you pick up when you try to get hours. Other departments are the best but some are just so boring and dead. My only advice is to keep yourself busy even if it's something you don't want to do. At least you're doing something.
    6) For people who wants to gain retail experience and some cash, this is the place for you. BUT if you want to make this your career, there's no future here for you. Some associates (mostly full time) have been here for the longest time and this is the only job for them, so just understand when they get too competitive or catty with ringing people out - that's pretty much their life.
    7) Easily burn out! - Take a day off or two, you will need it.

Bottom line:
    Every company/employer has its pros and cons, but don't be discouraged. A good work experience is great for future jobs. Remember, work is work. You can't be picky. Overall, Macy's is alright.

No. I'm not going to tell YOU how to do your job. It is your responsibility to look into things or situations that needs improvement. You should know what they are IF you really do pay attention to your associates.

macys.com is a great place to work

Current Employee - Team Lead in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

flex hours, nice people, interesting projects, great team spirit, good training, enthusiastic leadership, good work life balance, caring management, good career path, new office building, good commute options, employee discount

Cons

too many layers of management, hard to find a contact for needed information to complete a project, salary not competitive in the marketplace leading to many openings not filled on a timely basis, need better co-operations from managers/directors competing for the same projects(dollars),

Need better communication and co-operation between MCOM and MST. Need to reward high performers with better raises so we are not losing them in this competitive market. We spent too much time training new people to come up to speed only to lose them and take away all the business knowledge with them.

Good start

I worked at Macy's

Pros

Good experience if you don't have any. Helps you get your foot into the real world.

Cons

It's retail. A lot of standing and dealing with customers if you're not used to it.

Train these kids well! They're our future!

Nice coworkers, managers are flexible with meal breaks so I can pick up my kids.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Danbury, CT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Danbury, CT

I have been working at Macy's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Schedule flexibility, nice coworkers, nice managers, friendly atmosphere, discount

Cons

Low hourly rate, hard to get hours during slow seasons, have to work in areas you don't know, distant senior management, HR issues take for ever to resolve

pay proven workers better

Everyone is friendly, the job is easy, and fits my schedule.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tyler, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tyler, TX

I have been working at Macy's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The discount and sales are good, working with people is rewarding, and there is room for potential.

Cons

The pay could be higher, the store is open too long, and not all stores have the same items causing disappointment to customers who were looking for something that is not available.

Management should continue to communicate with employees and perform their duties as usual.

recovery team

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

sometimes not enough hours given to me

Cons

nice company to work for

give me more hours

It was a nice learning experience. Opened my eyes to the world of retail.

I worked at Macy's

Pros

The customer base was nice. You get to help more pleasant people than say working at a fast food restaurant.

Cons

They can have a tendency to overwork you if you are good at your job.

Hire more on-call people.

A good company to work for but opportunity to advance is diminishing.

Current Employee - GENERAL SALES MANAGER
    Current Employee - GENERAL SALES MANAGER

I have been working at Macy's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Benefits
    -Competitive Salary
    -Nationwide store network
    -Tuition assistace

Cons

-Shrinking management
    -Cart before the horse approach with numerous company rollouts

-Reach out to Junior executives who are feeling career pressure after recent cut backs.

Its harder and more complicated than it looks.

Former Employee - Commission Sales
    Former Employee - Commission Sales

I worked at Macy's full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Its always nice to have a job. I do enjoy the camaraderie with the other associates. We all have our strengths & deficits. Promotions and lateral movement is pretty easy.

Cons

Customer transactions are overly complex. Endless procedures for everything. They operate on a promotional business model that turns the retail experience into "Let's Make a Deal!" Physically demanding especially full time. Popular sizes are impossible to find in many cases.

Area managers are stretched very thin. 4Q 2014 was nutz but we made our goals.