Macy's

2.9 4,340 reviews

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren

Terry J. Lundgren

(1,242 ratings)

Pros
  • The only "pro" about this job is the employee discount, but it isn't even that great (in 496 reviews)

• The company offers some flexibility in terms of work/life balance (in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't push their credit card down the customers throat you get fired (in 326 reviews)

• They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet (in 100 reviews)

More Highlights
4,340 Employee Reviews

Great Internship

Intern (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsAs an intern you have the opportunity to work on an actual sales floor and you are mentored by a Sales Manager. You get experience dealing with customer relations, coaching, observing associates and much more. My mentor pretty much let me do most of the management work, I would even run the morning rallies. I got great management experience and would recommend it to anyone looking to do retail management. You also do a project and get the opportunity to present it to district managers. They also have great career paths available, and you go on a 2 day summit where people come in and speak with you about the opportunities within the company. If you complete your internship well, they will most likely offer you a full time management position.

ConsIt can be a bit stressful at times if you have never worked for the company before because you have to jump in and figure stuff out without always getting a chance to ask for help. If you have worked as an associate or even in retail you will be fine!

You get out of it what you put in

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Bethesda, MD

ProsCo-workers & Management - the majority of the people I worked with were amazing. I am still close to one of my managers today and I consider her a mentor. If you work hard your managers will notice. This will make your experience better.
    Employee Discount
    Growth - I worked very hard during my time at Macy's and within six months had already received two promotions, which ended me working in the cosmetics department.

ConsThe Macy's I worked at forced us to join a Union. Being a part-time employee getting paid a quarter above minimum wage, a Union was something I did not want to pour my money into.
    The customers; management at Macy's has given the customer way too much freedom for too long. Customers now know that if they treat an employee like dirt by complaining about something completely out of the stores control, they will be rewarded with a coupon or "Macy's Money" to help them remain loyal customers. This causes the employees to be treated like dirt on a consistent basis, and it is more prevalent during the holiday seasons.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more forceful with customers; the customer is not always right and it is time they were treated that way. Also, increase your starting base salary. A quarter above minimum wage is ridiculous for a sales job at Macy's (this is in Maryland); it's a large department store and when I worked there I had a multitude of tasks to complete within a shift and was always asked to stay overtime to help clean other departments. Minimum wage jobs should be left for teenager positions at small stores, not large department stores.

Sales Associate Flex Team

Part-Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsFlexibility to pick shifts when available, benefits when maintaining 20 hours per week. This allows that if you are short they average by the quarter, the 20% associate discounts and other deals.

ConsLow pay, sometimes not always able to get shifts, however, once you get to know the various managers if needed you can come in an pick up hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication to the part time and Flex Team of what's new promo, updates, and things we don't hear as a FT employee.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's a paycheck. That's all.

Linen Specialist (Current Employee) Palm Desert, CA

ProsFlexible scheduling, great if you want part time hours. Shifts are very early, leaving the rest of your day open.

ConsRetail is soulless. There is absolutely nothing rewarding about selling or pushing product.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees a little better, they ARE your customers on their off time.

Macy's is the best company I have ever worked for.

Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) Bloomington, MN

ProsI feel like they truly care about their employees and are pretty fair.

ConsPersonally I haven't really had any sofar.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to your customer and employee needs.

Overall Positive Experience

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsMy manager was very nice and friendly. She helped me out whenever possible in getting hours and also taught me ways to connect better with customers. She was really good at recognizing when people did a good job. My coworkers and I also worked well together by helping each other out whenever possible. Overall, work wasn't difficult and the customers were also overall genial and easy/fun to talk to. The online system for getting more hours/checking hours is easy to use and very convenient.

ConsPay isn't much and there is a high turnover rate for associates which means constantly needing to help out someone new. Long hours on feet and sometimes it's difficult to get hours when you need more. Because managers work different days and no schedule is given to us on which manager is working when, it's a bit difficult to touch base with your own personal department manager.

Macy's was a great company

Brand Manager (Current Employee) Hayward, CA

ProsCustomer relationships, doing what I love, co-workers were the best.

ConsPay was low for the expectations that were given.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake more of an incentive for employees by doing more for management.

Good beginner job

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Modesto, CA

Prosmake your own schedule, time off, awesome discount.

ConsManagers play favorites I've seen girls get bullied by management because the other managers didn't like them.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the cattiness away from the job and stop playing favorites.

My experience working for Macys was very challenging for me , I learned many things in the retail industry

Sales Support Associate (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsThe best thing was meeting new people and helping customers.

Consmy challenings were learning all the aspects of retail and a fast pace environment.

I love MY Macy's!

Director (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsMy experience with Macy's over the last 10+ year has been nothing short of INCREDIBLE. This company recognizes the value of it's team and rewards individuals for their contribution to the organization's success. Their are many opportunities for continued professional development and job promotions. The talent of the company's leadership team make me feel confident in the company's outlook for the future. Go Macy's!

ConsI have no complaints about Macy's :)

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!