Macy's

2.9 4,286 reviews

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren

Terry J. Lundgren

(1,222 ratings)

Pros
  • The only "pro" about this job is the employee discount, but it isn't even that great(in 486 reviews)

• Work Life balance, advancement opportunities are a great part of Macy's(in 94 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't push their credit card down the customers throat you get fired(in 315 reviews)

• They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet(in 95 reviews)

4,286 Employee Reviews

Sales Associate

ProsPeople were fun to work with

ConsCouldn't always work as much as I wanted to

Sales Associate Flex Team

Part-Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsFlexibility to pick shifts when available, benefits when maintaining 20 hours per week. This allows that if you are short they average by the quarter, the 20% associate discounts and other deals.

ConsLow pay, sometimes not always able to get shifts, however, once you get to know the various managers if needed you can come in an pick up hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication to the part time and Flex Team of what's new promo, updates, and things we don't hear as a FT employee.

Administrative Support Team

Administrative Support Team Member (Current Employee) Staten Island, NY

ProsAll executive's, and manager's, are respectful, knowledgable, and supportive of training me. Sales associate's and coworker's are very cooperative, and nice. My immediate supervisor, does everything within her power to help me succeed, and provides excellent support. All business is conducted at a calm, productive pace, and very humane. Management respect's and follow's up on my idea's for improvement.

I have an excellent work-life balance, and all coworker's respect my privacy. The store also provides me with great incentives to shop at Macy's, and is always improving the merchandise, and environment. My supervisor, continues to adapt my schedule, to all necessary personal life responsibilities, which provides for a conducive work-life balance.

ConsNot applicable at this time. However, I met with human resources yesterday, in regard to a future position as an Associate User Experience Architect position, and I was told that this position does not exist at this location as of yet.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like to suggest that the position Associate User Experience Architect, be implemented at Macy's, Staten Island, NY. The position would help management provide an improved shopping experience, and of course increase sales at the same time.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Opportunity for Advancement

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Eatontown, NJ

ProsCorporate strategy is progressive, associate training is invested in, and if you have the drive, skill set, and education, there is room to advance and develop a career.

ConsNeed a better process for job performance, responsibility based reviewing and feedback, and on a more consistent basis. There are always people in certain positions that are no longer qualified to hold their positions, yet it's difficult to assess the current priorities of the business versus their performance and/or performance ability.

Positive experience so far although at the end of the day it's still working in retail!

Visual Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat people and talent development. There are career opportunities and future potential, not just an hourly job to do.

ConsIt's retail. Don't do it if you can't work in the store all day in a fast paced and sometimes stressful environment. Also you don't get to take the holidays off obviously but that's any job in retail.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore store involvement and better pay.

Security

ProsWork life, hours flexibility, management

ConsHolidays hours pay mall life

Great introduction to retail!

Sales Specialist (Current Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

ProsMacy's offers an extremely flexible online scheduling system that allows you to pick up extra shifts in addition to ones already assigned to you for that week, advertise your shifts for any other associate in the store to pick up, swap shifts with other associates, or even ask someone to cover your shift. If you're looking for a place to work while you go to school or have another part time or even full time job Macy's is a great fit.

ConsBe prepared to work A LOT during the holidays - this is retail after all

Great company

ProsInvest in talent, great benefits

ConsRetail means working weekends and nights

Customer service/sale

Sales Associate/Specialist (Current Employee) Staten Island, NY

ProsMaking a connection with a customer while developing a relationship

ConsWhen a customer asks your advise and trusts what you are saying

Macys

Store Management (Current Employee)

ProsMacys values their employees and management.

ConsI don't have any cons to discuss.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can promote through out the company. Has good growth opportunity.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!