Macy's

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren

Terry J. Lundgren

(1,183 ratings)

4,159 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "The only "pro" about this job is the employee discount, but it isn't even that great"
    in 455 reviews
  • "Work Life balance, advancement opportunities are a great part of Macy's"
    in 90 reviews
Cons:
  • "Employee discount is only redeemed by using your Macy's credit card"
    in 295 reviews
  • "Varies store to store, but Macy's has very little consideration for work-life balance"
    in 88 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Okay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou were in control of your schedule.

ConsThe hours weren't good at all.

No consistency, but not a terrible place to work.

Sales Associate/Specialist (Current Employee)
    Kennesaw, GA

ProsMy Schedule Plus is a great tool to help you get your schedule to fit your life. The associates are mostly nice, a few obnoxious apples, but they don't spoil the whole bunch. It's a good place to learn about how retail works. They're pretty transparent about their goals and what they expect of people, so that makes it decently laid back. If you do your job and you want to move up, you will. They also give you a lot of power to do what you need to do to keep the customer happy, so that's nice.

ConsThe work environment with it's sales goals and credit goals tend to keep people on task, but sometimes it makes them mean. The management is not consistent, at least not in my store. They are alway switching up people and any connections you make seem to feel hollow and useless because they aren't going to get you anywhere, really. I just recently moved up in the department and now I'm going to have to start with a new manager that I don't even know. They are really credit hungry in this place, even on days when they know it's gonna be rough to get them.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the credit incentives the same, it's hard to sell when you keep changing it from 20% to 15% savings on their bill when they open an account.

Worst company I've ever worked for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNot very many besides the discount and the brands and product macys carry

ConsWhere to begin. Macys does not care about their employees one bit. The company really needs to check and reevaluate their standards. Their so called "magic" selling is a joke. They will over with the sales associates and sale managers too. This company is cheap. They set high expectations for their sales associates to sale sale sale and help customers but yet they over work them with side tasks and the company falls sort of their own expectations. The store was dirty needed a lot of remodeling but the company was too cheap to fix anything. Dirty carpets with stains EVERYWHERE. The fitting rooms smell like pee 24/7 and needed to be fixed. Honestly don't work here unless you want very very little pay and want to be worked like a slave and not appreciated. Macys look at their employees as DISPOSABLE and they waste no time getting rid of anybody

Advice to Senior ManagementSomewhat good for customers but your company is horrible to the employees. I had to leave this company in a very short amount of time because I was sold on a company that I thought had very high and true values but didn't have any values at all!! I felt soo bad for the sales associates and also the other staff.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Associate in Fragrances

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    City of Industry, CA

ProsThe PTO and scheduling are very good for a retail position.

ConsNeed to work weekends and major holidays

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining and management were good, but they need to be more understanding of sale goals

Only as a last option

McLean, VA

ProsFast and easy place to get a job.Helps to pay a few of the bills - very few. Allows time to job hunt. Employees get 20% discount in addition to coupon discounts on top of the sale price.

ConsDo all of the reviewers that raved about Macy's really exist? Not at my store! Low pay. Rude, unfriendly co-workers. Merchandise thrown everywhere. Unrealistic expectations. Clueless management. No real training. Inflexible HR. Mostly uneducated workforce. Constant turnover. Customer service = ringing up merchandise. Incentives are insulting. Misleading and meaningless coupons that anger customers

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a management class! Pay your employees a living wage. Train them thoroughly. Adequately staff your departments. Employ workers to hang up and return merchandise. Monitor items going into and coming out of dressing rooms. Spend time on the sales floor.

Boring, but great for Christmas shopping

Spokane, WA

ProsI liked the discounts.

ConsIt was extremely boring.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the staff something to do!

An unfortunate place to work for

Tallahassee, FL

ProsSome the employee are great to work with. MSP is helpful when it comes to swapping unwanted days and shifts. Being able to networking with customers is great.

ConsTo be honest, there's way too many issues in this organization. Firstly, when it comes to the hierarchy of management, utter incompetence. I never seen so many unqualified people holding management position in my entire life. None of them have personal, leadership, or basic skills to make Macys as whole function. Second, the training, or shall I say lack there of, is horrendous. You sit by a computer for 4 hours on how to ring a transaction, but most of the associate on floor know how to make returns, T6 functions, or how to search for merchandise. Third, opportunities of getting promoted is obsolete. If you're not like by HR or management, regardless of having experience to at least apply for a position, they will have an excuse of why you're unable to apply or that they hire internally, which is a lie. Fourth, the overall cleanliness of the store. There's a wasp net inside the shoe stock, dead roaches and lizards the on the ground, dust over the merchandise and fixtures, needles embedded into the carpeting, boxes and broken fixtures not properly place securely around the store which is a fire hazard issue. If OSHA was to do an surprise inspection, it would probably be shut down. Fifth, Macys cares too much about credit applications. If one customer came into the store the whole operating hours, they expect the associate to shove opening a credit card down his/her throat. Morale in the store in at a all time low, associate and manager retention is like a revolving door, and the fact that they expect you to not have a life outside of the job (or even get sick) because Macys should your number 1 priority is nauseating. But in the end, nothing will change because corporate doesn't care about their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor once in your life, listen. Its not hard to do. Care about your employees. Give them proper training and guidance. Show them that you do appreciate them to not only boost the morale and confidence but to put qualified people in place that will the company operate better instead of showing favoritism and letting your personal feeling cloud reasoning when in it comes to conducting business. When associates open up credits, stop giving us candy, WE ARE NOT CHILDREN!!! Its an insult. Stop shoving open accounts down our throats especially when there's a slow period. If associate have to train unqualified managers how to do their job, then you seriously need to take a hard look in the mirror and ask yourself why that associate isn't in that position. Give talented associates a chance to do better and help them with advancement opportunities rather than keeping them on the sale floor because you feel like he/she is better off doing sale. But I'm just one voice that will never be heard.

Short-term stint but a wonderful place to work

Stamford, CT

ProsFrom the supervisor to co-workers, everyone worked as a team. No superiority complexes. Although it was work, the atmosphere was congenial and supportive which helped the days melt away.

ConsThe pay simply was not enough to sustain me. Also, it seems that promoting of individuals have no rhyme or reason, and those who are less qualified move up the ladder while the go-getters stay in the trenches.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should strongly consider a higher hourly rate for employees; hard workers need to feel appreciated.

Eh...

Sales Specialist (Former Employee)
    Yonkers, NY

ProsYou get holiday pay after 6 months of working there.

ConsPoor training. Policy is contradictory.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet on their good side. The least likely they are to rain down on you when they're mad

Hell

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    South San Francisco, CA

ProsPro's are this major discounts given. Possible to make up for the treatment of employees.

ConsIf working for their high end store Bloomingdales in SF you must be Asian or White if not look like you are not Black.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together the only one's you fire are the ones who do not want to be another robot.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macy's reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Macy's CEO Terry J. Lundgren. All 4,159 reviews posted anonymously by Macy's employees.