Macy's

2.9 4,332 reviews

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren

Terry J. Lundgren

(1,239 ratings)

Pros
  • The only "pro" about this job is the employee discount, but it isn't even that great (in 496 reviews)

• The company offers some flexibility in terms of work/life balance (in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't push their credit card down the customers throat you get fired (in 326 reviews)

• They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet (in 100 reviews)

More Highlights
4,332 Employee Reviews

Frustrating no training

Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsSince I was put in the store with no training I had t ability to be a strong responsible worker

ConsWhen i got their they had lazy kid management team that walked all day at like they was busy it's bad when you get alot of college kids.With no experience try to lead people or train when they never been train

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining is very important for a management team

Won't give you hours, but still expect you to pay big bucks to join their union

Support Associate (Former Employee)

ProsGet to pick some of your own hours, employee discount, get to work on your own as a support associate somewhat, enjoyed some of my co workers

ConsLow pay, work on holidays, computer system lets you pick up your own hours but there was rarely anything available. After the holiday season I was getting about 4 hours a week and was told I could be hired on if I joined their union as a on call associate, meaning I was not guaranteed any hours at all but would have to pay 100$ to join the union and pay 25$ per month since I had been hired (4 months ago) of "back dues" even though I was not in the union at that time and was not getting any benefits (not sure I would even if I was in the union.) Basically I was told it was going to cost 200$ to keep my job that I was making around 30$ a week at.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate better with employees. Is not fair to expect someone to pay for benefits they were not getting.

I love MY Macy's!

Director (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsMy experience with Macy's over the last 10+ year has been nothing short of INCREDIBLE. This company recognizes the value of it's team and rewards individuals for their contribution to the organization's success. Their are many opportunities for continued professional development and job promotions. The talent of the company's leadership team make me feel confident in the company's outlook for the future. Go Macy's!

ConsI have no complaints about Macy's :)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Wayne, NJ

ProsManagement is helpful if you have a concern or with aiding in customer service. Team building exercises helped the overall morale of the store.

ConsThere was a week that I only worked 3 hours, when I was there for a year and knew more about the department than anyone else. Also, some managers were rude to employees

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training for the staff.

Working at Macy's is like being alone and trying to stay afloat on a sinking boat.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Manchester, NH

ProsThe other Sales Associates at Macys really made the job worthwhile. I met a lot of talented, hard working people at Macy’s at the Mall of New Hampshire. The occasional training sessions were a great break from routine and a good way discuss concerns with coworkers and management. Working on holidays paid time and a half and we occasionally had cookouts on the unloading dock on holidays. (You were not allowed to participate unless you brought in food to contribute.) Although they were inconsistent and rushed, the weekly performance review in the closet next to the fitting room with my manager made me aware of what I should improve upon. (These <5 minute meetings were always strictly in regards to my sales goals.) Managers were usually available by store phone. On the off chance they weren’t, I always got a quick response my using the intercom.

ConsThere were constant scheduling hassles. Although the system we used was designed to accommodate part time and on call associates, managers would use this system to modify it after it posts as a hassle free way to deal with the shifts that were not taken. Thus, they created their own “no call no show” problems when those associates unknowingly missed a shift.
    The store was in disrepair. From those 1970’s dark beige phones we attached to the receiver with a paper clip to the broken sensor removers that were replaced with bulky handheld ones we inefficiently shared between counters, the necessary tools to productively work were rarely available or not easy to operate with.
    The stores are filthy. I brought in Purell to my work station as my requests for it were never fulfilled. We stayed open past mall hours and the cleaning lady would be gone for the night before us. (The store cut down to one cleaning person from 3-4 by the time I left.) Flooded toilets were dealt placing an “Out of Order” sign on the bathroom door. Employees either had to hold it or walk through the wet bathroom floor. I cannot remember how many times I dealt with that particular issue in my years at Macy’s.
    Management was apathetic towards hard working, long term employees. During my time there, one of the managers who had been with the company for a very long time was demoted. A less experienced manager was assigned the area to manage. A lot of workers there felt very uncomfortable by the very obvious and cheap move to cut company costs.
    Sales goals created animosity between associates. During my time there, the focus on achieving sales goals, increasing items per transaction, and increasing my average cost per item was ridiculous. I was told to focus less on “put aways” and be more aggressive about ringing up sales. Roping in low income customers, who didn’t quite understand the consequence of opening a Macy’s credit card, was a huge focus of the job as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in upkeep of the building. Provide Purell at all working stations and employ a hard working cleaning staff. Your sales focus is short sighted and displeases customers and associates. Return to a time where Macy's was a classy store that had great customer service instead of pushy sales people. Fire more ineffective managers--to many go unchecked.

Have to love your job

Merchandiser (Current Employee) Rego Park, NY

ProsWork alone or in a team

ConsToo much work for very little pay

Advice to Senior ManagementMacys stop being so cheap and give everybody a raise!!!

Fast action place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsIf you like a fast pace and ever changing environment Macy's is for you

ConsThe hours everyday can be different. Open then close then open again

Good beginner job

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Modesto, CA

Prosmake your own schedule, time off, awesome discount.

ConsManagers play favorites I've seen girls get bullied by management because the other managers didn't like them.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the cattiness away from the job and stop playing favorites.

Only work here as a last resort !

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Prosnothing . just a job

Consbreaks , managers are ignorant and don't care about their employees , only sales goals and credits
    cleaning up fitting rooms after trifling customers

Advice to Senior Managementthoroughly select the people who manage your stores ! They are a key factor in why you have high turn over rates !

Worst Job I ever had

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Prosflexibility of the schedule if you're on call.

Conspoorly paid
    overworked and not compensated for all the work that you do.
    they expect you to work hard, but only offer you a 0.05 cent raise. eff that.
    management
    everthing.. poor customer service.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to manage before you all yourselves managers. As big a company as Macy's is, it's ridiculous that they can't afford or won't put out the money to train their managers properly. Every Macy's I've ever been to has always had horrible lower and upper management. That tells me it's not just that particular store, it's the company.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!