Macy's Reviews

4,636 Reviews

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren
Terry J. Lundgren
1,335 Ratings

Pros
  • The only "pro" about this job is the employee discount, but it isn't even that great (in 496 reviews)

• The company offers some flexibility in terms of work/life balance (in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't push their credit card down the customers throat you get fired (in 326 reviews)

• They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet (in 100 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place for Advancement

Current Employee - Merchandise Team Lead  in  Waldorf, MD
    Current Employee - Merchandise Team Lead in Waldorf, MD

I have been working at Macy's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You work in a team environment and co-workers are very helpful. I was able to advance in less than one year. They believe in hiring and advancing from within.

Cons

The pay grade is horrible. You can not make a living off the base salary they start you on.

Give more credit to the workers who actually work and not only stand behind a register and make sales goals. If you show those that do everything as well as ring customers get acknowledge more than those who steal customers and stand behind a register, maybe those register babysitter would clean the sales floor as well.

ok company

I worked at Macy's for more than 5 years

Pros

store discount is nice also extra discounts offered monthly. Flexible schedule you can easily change it up with other employees when you can't work

Cons

communication between hr and managers and asst managers and store managers can be a challenge, there is so many sales it's hard to keep up

Great, empowering, enlightening and growing experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Pembroke Pines, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pembroke Pines, FL

I have been working at Macy's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Treated like family and treated fairly

Cons

Holiday hours, long hours, cleaning

Better instruction and guidance

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Store Management Intern

Former Employee - Store Management  in  Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Store Management in Dublin, OH

I worked at Macy's as an intern for less than a year

Pros

-A very broad and enriching experience
    -Given crucial store operations responsibilities

Cons

-Long hours
    -You get thrown into the fire fast

Increase the internship from 8 weeks to 10 weeks

The people made the job bearable, not the job itself

Former Employee - Big Ticket Sales Associate  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Big Ticket Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Macy's full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed working here because my fellow employees and even managers were very nice people and fun to be around. Management wasnt too strict, and hours were somewhat flexible. Top performers will get the most hours, doesn't matter the circumstances.

Cons

Pay was terrible, had commission with a draw (worst pay structure I have ever been a part of). Every hour that went by that you did not sell anything, you would owe them the $9 an hour they paid you for that time. So basically, if you go a day without selling anything, and the next day you sell $18 an hour (double the draw) you will only make $9 an hour because you owed them for the time you didn't sell anything.

Get rid of the draw. Listen to employees suggestions more often. We are the ones in the dirt of the work, we know what we need best.

Better than most part-time jobs

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Champaign, IL

I have been working at Macy's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Can work in different departments other than your assigned department, very easy online scheduling system, plenty of other employees to pick up your shifts, part-time can work up to 30 hours a week

Cons

difficult to get ahold of managers, sometimes would have to wait for a long time with a customer for a manager and customers would grow impatient, not much training for new hires (learn as you go)

be aware of where the newer employees are and try to be reachable to them because they will have the most questions and issues with the system

Good store

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Macy's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Discounts, good products, and friendly co workers.

Cons

Not enough hours, and you have to have minimum sale.

To hire more people but then give equal hours.

I like working in retail, I enjoy helping most customers.

I have been working at Macy's part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Discount and you're able to find good deals on merchandise. If you like dealing with most people in the public it is a nice way to do so.

Cons

They expect you to be available for key days but they do not give you enough hours otherwise. Management does not see who really does the hard work, they only reward those who open credit cards and have high sales. Those people do not do ANY of the recovery, housekeeping tasks, or stock work and leave everything for the REAL workers to take care of who's sales then suffer as a result of doing ALL the stock work or recovery, also managers never seem to help with any of the endless recovery in clothing areas, (esp. the store manager), if they want the employees to do this endless task then they should be helping and setting an example instead of thinking they are above it. They push you to add clientele and do constant presales which affect your daily sales goals, they are only interested in the stores numbers looking good for corporate and don't really care about the whole picture. The return policy is ridiculous, if they think it builds customer loyalty they are SO wrong, it creates many customers who just take advantage of the policy and laugh their way out of the store as they have basically used our merchandise for whatever they needed it for and then returned it (I would say it's a legal form of theft), these are not the customers a successful store needs or should want. They seem to think it is a smart business idea to let people pick up shifts in other areas (full timers get first dibs) instead of letting people with much experience and product knowledge work in their home area and think customers won't notice, they notice and even though most won't complain they just won't shop in the store, if you don't have any loyalty to a dept. you are not invested in it's success. They like to think they value employees opinions because they do a survey every year but they really do not want to hear what we really feel, if they know their employees really they could go to the ones who are not just complainers but really want the store to be better and ask us what we think, and when they kind of do this at round table meetings they shoot down everything brought up.

Really know which of your employees work hard and start showing some appreciation to them especially in front of those who only make sales and credit goals, it's easy to make those goals if you do not do any of the other hard work. Pitch in and help more and don't be punitive to people who make constructive suggestions.

Fun enviornment

Former Employee - Cosmetics Flex  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Flex in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Macy's part-time for more than a year

Pros

-compensation, especially during the holidays
    -great training
    -amazing discounts

Cons

-working as a cosmetics flex your hours are unstable

Yeah it's alright.

I worked at Macy's

Pros

I worked with a lot of really great people! Sales associate and department managers alike! There were a lot of products a sales person could actually stand behind. The job itself isn't bad, especially once you learn the ropes. This particular store is union, which is great, because after like 3 years, instead of making $8.50 /hr like many other stores, you make almost $13 /hr instead.

Cons

Little to no training. I had to train new hires all the time because Macy's wouldn't bother to. My store (Bellingham, WA) was near the Canadian border, so we had a LOT of international tourists who would demand unreasonable, special treatment (like 50% off just because they drove 20 minutes over the border, or sale prices from last week's sale) and then throw a fit if they don't get it. High turnover. When I left, they were phasing out commission.

The company has terrible communication between corporate and the stores. Also, I've seen some fantastic store and department managers get dropped for nothing. One year, a manager will be praised, and then the following year, Macy's will decide that manager is not meeting their ridiculous extended sales goal and drop them without considering other potential factors. This used to be a company that was about quality and product knowledge, but now it's just about nickle and diming.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!