Macy's Reviews

4,885 Reviews

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren
Terry J. Lundgren
1,408 Ratings

Pros
  • the employee discount is good even though one must use their Macys card to get it (in 565 reviews)

• The company offers some flexibility in terms of work/life balance (in 103 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't push their credit card down the customers throat you get fired (in 358 reviews)

• They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet (in 108 reviews)

More Highlights

Commission Sales Associate, FT, Women's Shoes, NYC

Current Employee - Commission Sales Associate, FT, Women's Shoes, NYC in New York, NY

I have been working at Macy's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- commission is great if you're great in selling - must be charismatic, talkative, charming, know ongoing sales and promotions well
    - room for growth in company
    - paid time off
    - request 3 days off a month (days are untouchable by automated schedule)
    - can pick up shifts, give up or swap shifts very easily - everything is online, you can also track your attendance ratings, and check your clock in/out times.
    - schedule is super flexible

Cons

- commission selling is competitive environment
    - must be able to handle a fast-paced environment
    - be good at persuading, talking customers into sales
    - keep track of your customers so they do not walk away from the sale, and also this avoids another associate from swooping in and stealing your sale - your sales are your paycheck! be on your game

Great

Current Employee - Visual Security in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Visual Security in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay is great I work with great people who care about me and what I contribute. Work is fun

Cons

I have no cons about Macy's

Not bad for a starter job or 2nd job

Current Employee - Receiving Associate in Sunrise, FL
    Current Employee - Receiving Associate in Sunrise, FL

I have been working at Macy's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good work life balance, friendly employees, fun(but can be serious)management

Cons

Minimum wage, work day can be tough depending on the size of the truck, lack of hours

My advice to management would be to compensate their employees a bit better, give raises for those who have been there for more than a year and slow down on hiring too many people so that those who want hours can actually get them because most people that get hired barely even show up for work.

It was a good experience.

I worked at Macy's

Pros

Fast paced, nice colleagues, temp help over holidays

Cons

sales goals, only wear black colors

Provided customer service, answered questions regarding various information needed for various customers.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at Macy's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good place to work, good quality product, awesome associates.

Cons

Very little compensation, very strict about work policies, not enough incentive to work there.

Consider people who are struggling and also do not fire people just because of one or two mistakes, consider more people for long term job growth and help, for people such as associates who work for the Christmas season.

Great

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Macy's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company is a good to work for. My twenty years with company was great and I loved everthing about it.

Cons

I didn't any challenging with the company

Sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay, great team, good job for a college student

Cons

Weird hours, must be flexible

Offers opportunity to move up

Former Employee - Sales Specialist
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist

I worked at Macy's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Above minimum starting wage. Managers are mostly pleasant, depending on your location. The ability of associate to make prompt decisions without managers, being "empowered". Great discounts. Looks great on resume when you apply for other retail companies. They support you if you want to move up in the company. Constant change of roles.

Cons

-The return policy which affects the workers how they interact with customers. Some customers abuse the lenient return policy of customers.
    - No fitting room attendants, you do everything as an associate: cash register, recover sales floor, clean fitting rooms, open/close registers, help customers and everything else.
    - The pressure of meeting your individual daily sales and credit goals. The individual goals are more emphasized than team goals so associates end up destroying each other to check out customers instead of helping each other, it can get very unprofessional too as some associates discuss or argue in front of customers so customers tend to think we are commissioned.
    - The One Day Sale coupons that work only on select items and this is not emphasized in the paper. So basically the advertisements invite them to shop with low prices and give them a coupon too but guess what? Your coupon doesn't work. So you associated end up explaining this to customers over and over again. But when they get upset just "make it work" for them. Nevermind calling a manager 'cause they're going to say yes anyway.
    - They only give 28hrs for full-time then they give you the excuse that you can pick-up shifts up to 40hrs.
    - Really it's just a glamorized Walmart.

Be fair in giving your associates the compensation they deserve for the workload you expect them to do.

Great stability with a brand name

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

Compensation (competitive in the field), great people,

Cons

Bureaucratic, HR can be in your way of going up in the company, old school mentality

Not too bad

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Palm Desert, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Palm Desert, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy seasonal job. Supervisor and staff were easy to work with.

Cons

The scheduling seemed a little crazy between departments but it was manageable.