Macy's Reviews

4,665 Reviews

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren
Terry J. Lundgren
1,340 Ratings

Pros
  • The only "pro" about this job is the employee discount, but it isn't even that great (in 496 reviews)

• The company offers some flexibility in terms of work/life balance (in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't push their credit card down the customers throat you get fired (in 326 reviews)

• They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet (in 100 reviews)

More Highlights

Macys is a good Company but they could use some help with maanagement

Current Employee - Women's Shoes  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Women's Shoes in Boston, MA

I have been working at Macy's part-time for less than a year

Pros

The best thing about being an employee at macys is the ability to create my own schedule. They have a website where I can go to set my preferences for days I want to work and days I do not, for example, I do not work/do not get scheduled on Wedsnesdays because my son has a half day at school. I can pick the times of day that I want to work and the system generates my schedule based on what I say I am available to work. I love that because as a working mom, this helps me get my kids from school but work mostly while they are in school.

Cons

Macys has an attendance point system. When you get hired you get 9 points. Each time you are late a point is deducted. Once your points get to 0 I believe you get terminated. I think you have to be on time 15 days in a row to gain one point back.

Some of the managers don't have the best attitudes especially when speaking to an employee. I guess your beneath the manager because your just a sales associate. Even though you are the one bringing in the sales.

Good, but not for a long run.

Former Employee - Administrative Support Team Member  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Support Team Member in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This position is a shortcut to gaining basic HR and administrative experience within retail environment. Given a considerate management, the on-the-job training is easy and thorough. Generous employee discounts, upbeat administrative team.

Cons

A) Hiring practices is a crucial part of this position. Additional training on employee benefits, HR policies and legal compliance, however, is not provided, though it would dramatically boost the skills necessary to perform the role of an Administrative Support Team member. You take on a role of a go-to person for HR-related questions, especially if the store HR manager is not around. It is a shame the resources are scarce to learn from.

B) Since Administrative Support Team is often in the background of the store operations, it may seem as if there was not much to fuss about. This is not true. An administrative support member handles multiple ad hoc projects during the day, being pressured by workload and deadlines. Keep in mind that administrative associates are also required to assist sales people during hectic holiday seasons. This is also the time when holiday hiring events are on the rise. So, you must be able to multitask between the sales floor and the office. Be prepared to perform beyond your essential duties, as separation of responsibilities is completely disregarded.

Elaborating employee recognition program, facilitating continuous and advanced training, and improving communication (read: eliminate miscommunication or lack of communication) would be great to begin with.

Okay for the time being

I have been working at Macy's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Weekly Pay (who doesn't love getting paid every week?!). From the very first day that I started I have come across nothing but friendly associates. Haven't used it yet but I heard the discount is pretty decent. I'm seasonal, so I know I won't be here too long to deal with the cons for a long time.

Cons

Okay so I was hired in the beginning of August , but didn't start working until the middle of September, why? Macy's love hiring people but not giving people hours. I was calling every day just to get on the schedule, even went up to the store to speak to HR, and I couldn't even ask for my direct manager because I was never told who my manager was. Picking up a shift is horrible, damn near impossible. The phrase "You have to get up early in the morning to get one over on me" is an understatement when it comes to picking up a shift. Didn't really have proper training (maybe because I'm seasonal); when they put me in my area, the leads and managers expected me to automatically know where things go. Minimum wage

Either: stop hiring people and not putting them on the schedule or stop being stingy with money and give people more hours. We need help in the stores. You know it, we know it, customers notice it.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They don't pay enough for the service they want

Current Employee - Shoe Expeditor  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Shoe Expeditor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Macy's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discounts and sales and discounts on Starbucks

Cons

Very busy and macys expect so much and want to pay you a little bit

Good store

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Macy's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Discounts, good products, and friendly co workers.

Cons

Not enough hours, and you have to have minimum sale.

To hire more people but then give equal hours.

A great place to start but not to stay

I have been working at Macy's part-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a lot of things to do and the people are friendly usually. There is always work if you do work.

Cons

There is a lot of repetition after a while of working there and everything is driven by numbers rather than the actual situations. With that being said, it may be difficult to gain hours even with a large amount of work.

Please better vet who you higher to oversee operations.

Jawbone Customer Care

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Macy's full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a nice facility for a call center

Cons

Terrible communication: No one knows what is going on or what to tell new hires. As new hires, we were in a 2 week training class for 4 weeks. I was never told who my supervisor was or get "phone certified" before they through me into a "graduation" . Terrible training: Trainers were never on the same page. Trainers were barely even in the room. They never set an expectation on what was to happen next. They went very far out of their way to ignore me when I needed assistance. Terrible planning

Redo your entire training program. Hire better trainers or stick them in a class on how to train people.

Better than most part-time jobs

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Champaign, IL

I have been working at Macy's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Can work in different departments other than your assigned department, very easy online scheduling system, plenty of other employees to pick up your shifts, part-time can work up to 30 hours a week

Cons

difficult to get ahold of managers, sometimes would have to wait for a long time with a customer for a manager and customers would grow impatient, not much training for new hires (learn as you go)

be aware of where the newer employees are and try to be reachable to them because they will have the most questions and issues with the system

Yeah it's alright.

I worked at Macy's

Pros

I worked with a lot of really great people! Sales associate and department managers alike! There were a lot of products a sales person could actually stand behind. The job itself isn't bad, especially once you learn the ropes. This particular store is union, which is great, because after like 3 years, instead of making $8.50 /hr like many other stores, you make almost $13 /hr instead.

Cons

Little to no training. I had to train new hires all the time because Macy's wouldn't bother to. My store (Bellingham, WA) was near the Canadian border, so we had a LOT of international tourists who would demand unreasonable, special treatment (like 50% off just because they drove 20 minutes over the border, or sale prices from last week's sale) and then throw a fit if they don't get it. High turnover. When I left, they were phasing out commission.

The company has terrible communication between corporate and the stores. Also, I've seen some fantastic store and department managers get dropped for nothing. One year, a manager will be praised, and then the following year, Macy's will decide that manager is not meeting their ridiculous extended sales goal and drop them without considering other potential factors. This used to be a company that was about quality and product knowledge, but now it's just about nickle and diming.

I like working in retail, I enjoy helping most customers.

I have been working at Macy's part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Discount and you're able to find good deals on merchandise. If you like dealing with most people in the public it is a nice way to do so.

Cons

They expect you to be available for key days but they do not give you enough hours otherwise. Management does not see who really does the hard work, they only reward those who open credit cards and have high sales. Those people do not do ANY of the recovery, housekeeping tasks, or stock work and leave everything for the REAL workers to take care of who's sales then suffer as a result of doing ALL the stock work or recovery, also managers never seem to help with any of the endless recovery in clothing areas, (esp. the store manager), if they want the employees to do this endless task then they should be helping and setting an example instead of thinking they are above it. They push you to add clientele and do constant presales which affect your daily sales goals, they are only interested in the stores numbers looking good for corporate and don't really care about the whole picture. The return policy is ridiculous, if they think it builds customer loyalty they are SO wrong, it creates many customers who just take advantage of the policy and laugh their way out of the store as they have basically used our merchandise for whatever they needed it for and then returned it (I would say it's a legal form of theft), these are not the customers a successful store needs or should want. They seem to think it is a smart business idea to let people pick up shifts in other areas (full timers get first dibs) instead of letting people with much experience and product knowledge work in their home area and think customers won't notice, they notice and even though most won't complain they just won't shop in the store, if you don't have any loyalty to a dept. you are not invested in it's success. They like to think they value employees opinions because they do a survey every year but they really do not want to hear what we really feel, if they know their employees really they could go to the ones who are not just complainers but really want the store to be better and ask us what we think, and when they kind of do this at round table meetings they shoot down everything brought up.

Really know which of your employees work hard and start showing some appreciation to them especially in front of those who only make sales and credit goals, it's easy to make those goals if you do not do any of the other hard work. Pitch in and help more and don't be punitive to people who make constructive suggestions.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!