Macy's

2.9 4,335 reviews

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren

Terry J. Lundgren

(1,240 ratings)

Pros
  • The only "pro" about this job is the employee discount, but it isn't even that great (in 496 reviews)

• The company offers some flexibility in terms of work/life balance (in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't push their credit card down the customers throat you get fired (in 326 reviews)

• They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet (in 100 reviews)

More Highlights
4,335 Employee Reviews

Great Co-Workers but that's about it

AST Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsCo-Workers, work environment, vacation time are the best benefits for working at Macy's. My store manager was wonderful as well.

ConsNo ability to change anything at a store level or within the department you run. Many corporate policies do not consider small towns and what works for New York won't work there.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your districts more control over what can be done at a store level if it's in the best interest of the employees and the customers.

Cosmetics Business Manager for a prestige brand

Business Manager (Former Employee) Flushing, NY

ProsEmployee discounts were great. Scheduling was unpleasant but manageable, had a great manager who helped me work through managing my inexperienced team, worked in a high diverse ethnic market, but mostly Chinese, which calls for some unique selling opportunities.

Constime off policies were weak and you had to wait at least 6 months to be eligible for Paid Time Off, I inherited an inexperienced team in the field of high-end prestige luxury cosmetics, and I couldn't do anything about changing the staffing, long hours working retail

Love the people don't like the turn of the company.

Only Ẅork Here If You Are OK With PT Or You Want Retail As A Career (Current Employee) Spokane, WA

ProsIf you need a 2nd job ad can work weekends or are n school this is a really good place because of the flexible scheduling. Also if retail is our career direction and your open to moving the ability to transfer and move up is good plus the sales training that you go through is helpful and you take refresher classes yearly.

ConsIn the last 7 years they have cut FT and more then doubled PT position and the reason this is bad is because before you had one 36 hr a week position and now they have 1 12-20 hr, 1 18-12 hr and 3 3-8 hr a week positions. Most of the jobs have been cut down to much and yes you can pick up extra shifts but if you in one of the PT people you have to wait a day later then any FT people who get first crack at picking up extra shifts and they do because most FT employees are only getting scheduled 28-32 hrs a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementStore managers try to make the best out of what they have been dealt. Macy's has cut managers n place of supervisors who have do the same work and still be under a manager plus this year they a whole manager position and replaced it with nothing which is gonna keep cutting into serving our customers. There have also cut employee Christmas party, retirement benefits are worse and the unreal sales and Macy's credit card goals have gone up way to much. My advise to the CEO of Macy's s quit lining your pockets with the millions Macy‘s pays you and all the upper level corporate management. Find a way to make Macy's better not only to the customer but your hard working blue collar employees. A large percentage don't have money to purchase proper dress code attire to wear to wok. If you keep treating your employees like their not worth starting at as little as $10 hr then your gonna et poor employees and more stores will go to unions and nobody wants that.

Macy's CEO Terry Lundgren Pay Cut 22 Percent To $11.3 Million in 2013
    Oh this must have been so hard, how will he feed his family. That is what most of us think of when our pay is cut by a fourth or even in half.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company

Part-Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) Arcadia, CA

ProsFun environment, great hours, great peopl

ConsThere are none that come to mind

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

amazing

Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) Miami, FL

Prosthe paycheck, employee discount, weekly checks, friendships with employees

Conscustomers were rude most of the time

Advice to Senior Managementthe upper management should be more acknowledging

Great for students!

Part-time Cosmetics Sales (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsPart-time flexible hours, ability to earn more based on commission (cosmetics), nice employees, great training program, if you work hard and are a little lucky - you could be hired by the actual brand!

Consmust be available weekends, very large company so may be lost in shuffle, lengthy hiring process for cosmetics

Unprofessional

Wedding and Gift Registry Supervisor (Former Employee)

ProsEnjoyed working with customers and employee discount. If you like a fast paced environment this is a great place for you.

ConsCompletely disorganized. Everyone has extremely high expectations, but you are often not given the proper training to actually succeed.

Its OK

RFID Specialist (Current Employee) Bowie, MD

ProsDiscounts and Macy' money.The people are fun to work with, co workers rule.

ConsThe pay… you don't get holidays until you have worked for 6 months

Advice to Senior ManagementLook within for people to move up in position. There are so many people with over a decade of managerial experience as a part time merchandiser of sales a

Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsCo-workers, discount, work-life balance

Conswork-life balance is pretty good because you get to pick your shifts and you can always swap with another sales associate or advertise a shift if you're unavailable.
    If you want to move up or to another position you have to be in your current position for at least a year that is ridiculous most places its normally 6 months.
    Managers don't know how to communicate

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect young people. not all young people don't want anything out of life or don't have a future. Some of them are part-time workers who are in school and sometimes have another job therefore they have a life outside of Macy's. It's because of this messed up economy and high unemployment rate why they are there in the first place; not because they are not qualified for better jobs.

Very good. Great training. Very accountable

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt is a great company. Great coaching and training.

Conscutthroat. If you thrive in a very competitive environment then great place for you. If you prefer team work and warm and fuzzy then not so good.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!