Macy's Reviews

4,628 Reviews

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren
Terry J. Lundgren
1,332 Ratings

Pros
  • The only "pro" about this job is the employee discount, but it isn't even that great (in 496 reviews)

• The company offers some flexibility in terms of work/life balance (in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't push their credit card down the customers throat you get fired (in 326 reviews)

• They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet (in 100 reviews)

More Highlights

I met many nice customers at the busiest time of the year and was able to help them.

Former Employee - Owner  in  Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Owner in Charleston, SC

I worked at Macy's full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Meeting so many different types of people and being able to help them find what they were looking for.

Cons

I had to work on Christmas Eve until 8 pm and I was a little surprised by that.

Spend time determining what the customers want and what is important to them.

Great for first job

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at Macy's part-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a relatively fun job, you meet people from all walks of life. Starting pay is decent. If you start off seasonal its not hard to get hired in. Great work -life balance, we create/can alter our schedule from home. No manager approval needed. Also its kind of easy moving up in the company. Have opportunities to apply for different positions to earn more money during seasonal if you've been with the store for six months. Same with transferring to another store.

Cons

Management organization could be better. Training is more hands on, all done on a "training" register, but they are always adding new functions/changing functions to it so it easy to not know how to do something. Sometimes floor coverage is poor, not enough associates.

If you don't have enough people to cover the floor call people in! Associates can not be expected to cover such big departments alone and expected to make "magic" if they're covering two departments alone.

Technical design intern for a summer.

Former Employee - Technical Design Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Technical Design Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Macy's as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The hours were regular/consistent and they do summer fridays. Everyone I worked with was very helpful and I'd say it's overall a positive work environment.

Cons

At times it was slow and there was not much to do. I heard from employees I worked with that it was hard to transition to other parts or different areas/fields of the company.

My manager was extremely encouraging and always up for explaining or answering any questions...this is a good example to follow while working with interns.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

GReat Place to work and friendly atmosphere

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Detective  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Detective in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Macy's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

team atmosphere is awsome and team lp relations are pretty good

Cons

pay and the overnight alarm calls and some managers lack common sense

Worked there for a year

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate  in  Lake Grove, NY
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Lake Grove, NY

I have been working at Macy's part-time for more than a year

Pros

nice people, good benefits clean store

Cons

not to many low pat

Remember your employees are human beings with families who love them.

employment specialist

Former Employee - Employment Specialist  in  Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Employment Specialist in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Macy's full-time for less than a year

Pros

8-5 . great people safe environment . It was a good start in a workplace. very relaxed. I liked working there but it wasnt what I wanted to do in life so I had to leave when I was able to

Cons

staying on the computer all day. Pay is low . When I wanted to trasnfer to another postion thye offered me less money. They are very cheap

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

Friendly and helpful associates, employee discount and flexible schedule. The department store environment will keep one physically fit.

Cons

Wages are penny scraps and not proportional to the quantity and quality of work that MUST be done.

My location seems to have a keen intuition for hiring friendly and knowledgeable associates. While the selection of merchandise is breathtaking, the miserly compensation of hourly employees leaves them no means of using their employee discount to purchase these items. I have 8+ years of retail experience and was only hired at a quarter above min. wage in my state. Also, an employee discount for a cash transaction at POS would be nice.

Great experience, great people

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Macy's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of my best friends were made when I went to work at Macy's. I feel respected and genuinely cared for by my coworkers and superiors, and my hard work is respected with career opportunities down the line. I love working with people and being in front of customers and working as a sales associate has been a great opportunity to do that.

Cons

You won't start out making a lot of money, so in the beginning it can be a bit of an endurance challenge. That being said, hard work is rewarded.

Sometimes scheduling can be a bit too heavy, causing more employees than necessary on a given day. This can affect compensation for those employees who have commission.

Sales Associate

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

I enjoyed working with other associates in my department. Customers can be interesting.

Cons

Pay and the schedule hours changed weekly so it was not guaranteed that I would have more than 12 hours.

Working at Macy's

I have been working at Macy's part-time

Pros

Employee Discount. Nice co-workers.

Cons

Scheduling is different than many companies.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!