Macy's Reviews in Richmond, VA

4,510 Reviews

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren
Terry J. Lundgren
1,296 Ratings

Pros
  • The only "pro" about this job is the employee discount, but it isn't even that great (in 496 reviews)

• The company offers some flexibility in terms of work/life balance (in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't push their credit card down the customers throat you get fired (in 326 reviews)

• They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet (in 100 reviews)

More Highlights

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Not bad for a LP job

Former Employee - Loss Prevention Detective  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention Detective in Richmond, VA

I worked at Macy's part-time for less than a year

Pros

The store overall had good workers that would listen and perform LP policies.
    The LPM was a good one, had good knowledge.
    Basically make my schedule with a few exceptions.

Cons

Camera systems were dated.
    Good boss, but did use me as a reason for him to work early shifts.
    Boss didn't answer his phone much.

Support your LP staff a little more. Remember what it was like when you were in the shoes and work that.

Worked in the HR department of store

Former Employee - Macy's Administrative Support Associate  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Macy's Administrative Support Associate in Richmond, VA

I worked at Macy's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Store manager and most department managers were really great individuals genuinely trying to meet the demands of the job.

Would recommend as a quick job in a pinch. A good option for someone wanting to move up into management or find a management training program.

Cons

Poor compensation. The sales quotas are very high and the rewards for meeting them is insulting. Only a livable wage if you are management or in a commissioned position- Which are a very limited positions.

Too many tasks on the office side. Macy's seems to be cutting costs on labor with slumped sales. This lead to having to juggle too many tasks with too few hours. Coupled with the poor compensation, the job wasn't worth it.

I was sorry to see great managers (in my location) in the store have their hands tied to solve problems due to the inflexibility of the business model set out by Macy's corporate.

Try to find ways to encourage and reward employees so you wont lose them to apathy or lack of attendance. The money and Macy's rewards are very small and not motivating.

Macy's corporate needs to find ways to empower store management, regain control over the scheduling of their own employees and offer more motivating rewards. Macy's HR department needed better training and more hours to meet the varied demands of the job.

Macys so different from what it use to be. Major Change is needed .

Current Employee - Sales  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Sales in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Macy's full-time for more than a year

Pros

I cant think of anything aside from the discounts, the sales, the customers and fellow associates. You also have the option to select your work availability .

Cons

everything,mamagememt,lack of associates. To grow your customers you have to grow your team to accommodate. and really care about the customer,not just because you are in competition with other stores. It has to be about more than the $$ and the Macys Star REWARDS AKA Macys credit card.

Hire Hire Hire ..one person cant assist 5-10 customers at one time ,nor can you open the doors on A super Saturday with one person and expect to receive a good survey. Theres no magic in that philosophy accept to save money and put more in corporate pockets.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

okay, but not good

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Macy's part-time for more than a year

Pros

useful employee discount
    learn a lot about retail
    sense of community
    online schedule program makes it easy to plan your own work schedule

Cons

difficult to advance/they only promote you if you open a lot of credit cards
    too many responsibilities
    not enough staff
    confusing sale signs make it difficult to explain to the customer how the prices work

seriously you can't give the associates a million responsibilities and then not schedule/hire enough people to work. a big problem at my store is lack of staff but when customers can't find someone to help them because everyone is already busy helping someone else, we get blamed for not being "visible and willing to assist." hire. more. people. you definitely have enough money to do it.

Poor training, impersonal and confusing.

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Macy's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Online computerized schedule, weekly paycheck.

Cons

Misleading and inconvenient shift scheduling for seasonal employees, lack of appropriate on the job training, confusing store markings of pricing and merchandise organization, lack of direct manager, impersonal.

Communicate store specials/updates/information to employees so that they will be able to answer customer questions. Don't mislead employees by telling them they can select their shifts and then pre-scheduling them for everything.

Great expereince if you want to work in retial

Former Employee - Store Maangement Intern  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Store Maangement Intern in Richmond, VA

I worked at Macy's as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Awesome mentors
    Good info from people who have been with the company for a while

Cons

A lot of pressure coming in as a management intern

Get more interns! Expand the program

Great place to work if you can get full time...

Former Employee - Loss Prevention Detective  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention Detective in Richmond, VA

I worked at Macy's part-time for less than a year

Pros

I had a great boss, he would show me how it's all done. I also, for the most part, made my schedule. The associates I worked with were good. Some didn't listen to policy, but it would get corrected.

Cons

I was told I would get part time a few months after I was hired and also depending on my performance. I was also told I would have a review and it would lead to more money. Both never happened. Pay could of also been better.

the workers that shine are going to shine, but let those people have what they have earned...

Not a good company to work for

Current Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Macy's

Pros

You get make up The people I worked with were very nice and supportive.

Cons

They want so many credit cards open Management supports bad behavior when it comes down to getting sales anything goes as long as you meet your goals. Management allowed counter manager to be overly greedy with her sales leaving her team behind just as long as she made her goals. Their were lots of fights because of commission Employees wanted to make that comission. Hours not flexible. If you have anyone sick in your family and have to care for them DO NOT WORK for this company. Macy's is first family is last.

Management needs someone to check on them and verify that the employees are being treated fairly the small man on the totem pole gets left behind and no one cares

Ok Job

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Richmond, VA

I worked at Macy's

Pros

they pay every week which is great! the employee discount is nice as well. work in a nice environment with good people

Cons

all black uniform. to get the employee discount you have to open a macy's credit card. the customers can be rude at times

less exclusions on the coupons. change the dress code to some thing more flexible. offer better hours to those that want want more

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!