Macy's

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren

Terry J. Lundgren

123 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

amazing

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Antioch, CA

I have been working at Macy's full-time for less than a year

Prosi learned a significant amount of information about retail and look forward to learning more. managers were kind, patient and understanding.

Consnone to report = )

Advice to Senior Managementkeep the amazing attitudes! i felt extremely welcomed and truly enjoy working at Macy's! i don't even feel like its work sometimes, great experience

IT'S OKAY!

Sale Associate (Current Employee)
Daly City, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible in your schedule (since you pick up your own hours) and availability to call out without actually calling in.

ConsLow pay, I've been in and out working at Macy's for the past 7 years. I haven't received a raised at all. Every seasonal I worked, I received the same pay until I asked for a raise. I've asked for $10 however, $9.50 was the max they ever gave me.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour own dept manager is always the best.

I have developed customer service and cashier skill.

Hayward, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat opportunity on enhance variety skills.

Consit was a seasonal position

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Not a very professional environment

Concord, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time for less than a year

ProsGood hours, decent training program

ConsLow pay, very unprofessional coworkers, forced to push the credit card

Advice to Senior ManagementIt may not be all stores, but in the one i worked with specifically, the employees (including my supervisor) were very unprofessional. It was like working with a bunch of teenagers, and floor manager was always in another department hanging out.

Sales associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Corte Madera, CA

I have been working at Macy's full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible hours and the ability to swap schedules with other employees. all of management and associates are kind, courteous and upbeat. there is growth and there are opportunities apparently if you push hard enough and are in the right clique

ConsManager's can also exhibit demeaning behavior, condescending and sometimes quippy. Also lack of payroll allotted for recovery leads to less sales involvement. Low pay just above minimum wage and macys money as a reward for doing well as observed by a manager or associate as going above and beyond. Pay raise is a last resort and then it is maxed out at 90 cents per hour increase per yearly review. This is a good place to work if you are a student or retired or a bored house wife looking for spending cash but no way to make a viable living as a by the hour sales associate. I had to threaten to quit before they offered other higher paying positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally not buying into the depression era tactics of macys money, i.e. company store money to buy more macys mechandise and go further into debt with the company.

Interesting place. Can get a bot boring at times

Macys Store Management (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Macy's as an intern for less than a year

Prosthe employees are fun and most of the people here make it a worthwhile experience to work and stay.

Consthe hours didn't exactly fit. This is a job, not a so much a career. It takes a while to move up and base salary is a bit low

Regional structure

Regional (Current Employee)

I have been working at Macy's full-time for more than a year

ProsAutonomous , collaberation with stores. Various teams. Provides GMM scope of business, if you use position correctly your knowledge base of retail grows substantially among many different operating pros.

ConsAs a regional planning manager you are responsible for everything with authority over very little. Interaction with central decision makers can be positive or negative it depends on the GMM. Sometimes it seems you are responsible for store execution, and other times reprimands for getting out of your lane.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe old school leadership by fear still remains based on legacy individuals.

It can be quite competitive.

I worked at Macy's part-time for less than a year

ProsCompetition drives you to do better and put yourself out there to gain those sales.

ConsIf you are not a competitive person, you won't enjoy the job as much.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe available more and remember promises made.

I had no idea I would be considered such an unimportant member of the Macy's team.

Floor Support/Recovery Associate (Temporary/Seasonal) (Former Employee)
Hayward, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time for less than a year

ProsYou get a 20% discount on merchandise, and occasionally the management might bring in free snacks.

ConsI had no idea that I would not be ringing on the register at all, even though I received the training for it. I put clothes on hangers, folded clothes, ran racks, etc. It was very boring, menial, sometimes fatiguing work. Not to mention, they didn't even bother considering my availability--they gave me shifts whenever they wanted, even at times when I was in school.

They even put me in an apron, because aprons supposedly repel customers that need help. Surprise! They don't. When I told my manager I just finished helping out a customer, she said "aw," as though it was so cute that I did something that was not in my job description or expected of me. Her condescending tone sealed how I wasn't taken seriously this this workplace at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease make it clear to your employees in the interview the distinction between sales associate and floor support/recovery associate.

Executive Development Program

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Macy's full-time

ProsMacy's is an amazing company to work for. You are part of a sheltered team as an "EDP," which means as long as you keep in communication with the necessary people, the company will help you advance to where you want to be. HR and management cares a lot about your growth, whether it is beneficial or detrimental to the store you're at. If you are currently placed in X store as a sales manager but find yourself more interested in operations, visual, or even .com, there will be someone helping you plan your next move.

In terms of the work environment, it differs from store to store. The bigger the store, the more resources you get. The top execs, are usually the most polite, professional, and helpful people, which may be because they've gone through years of dealing with customers as associates and sales managers to get to where they are now. It is also a great place to network. Many top HRs of other big companies are recruited from Macy's.

ConsRetail hours. Enough said. It will take some getting used to. Only bright side to it is that you have the rest of the management team to suffer with.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a rotational program.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macy's reviews and ratings in San Francisco, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Macy's CEO Terry J. Lundgren. All 123 reviews posted anonymously by Macy's employees.