Macy's Systems & Technology

Updated Apr 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Larry Lewark

Great people and friendly environment. Project Managers are forced to be in administrative roles instead of Leaders.

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Macy's Systems & Technology full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people and friendly culture. Very Diverse. Average benefits. Good methodologies and training in place for Project Managers. Lots employees have been with company for 10+ years. Store discounts and retail perks. Good for starting out.

ConsMicro-managing, puts project managers in more of an administrative instead of leadership role. 40% of people are doing most of the work and are extremely overwhelmed. The rest are coasting and waiting on retirement. Stuck in old IT mentality. No Work life balance. No telecomutting or flex schedules policy (although there are a few picks that have been granted this benefit which is extremely unfair). Difficult to advance or move around internally. "Bench" process in place requires managers and senior manager approval to apply for another position within company. This is usually normal, but at this company they make it very difficult and have made it an unfair process. Some have decided it is easier to apply for a job outside of company than to move around within company. Lots of politics. Decisions aren't being made based on the best technical solution. Managers handle all financial aspects of the projects and Project Managers are not responsibile for tracking and monitoring budgets. No accurate metrics on spend and are missing out on a lot of potentical savings. Although Great Methodologies and training is in place for Project Managers and it looks great on paper. The problem is Managers do not have a clue about how to effectively utilize their PMs. Therefore, Managers are stepping into PM roles and causing more confusion and PMs become mostly administrative. As a result, project teams do not look at or respect PMs as leaders and do not understand why PMs are needed Company has invested a lot in tools and training and do have a great framework in place for Project Managers, but the old school Management simply do not get it and are causing great PMs to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnforce a stronger Enterprise PMO. Train Managers on how to effectivelly utilize PMs and enforce it. Bring in new fresh talent (including Managers) and be open to change. Great company, great culture, good people with the framework in place to be excellent, Management styles and micro-managing is the biggest problem. Need new Senior Management and a new perspective. Would be great if MST was treated and executing more like a technology division and not just a small IT division within a retail company.

Good place to start, but easy to become unhapy

I have been working at Macy's Systems & Technology

ProsGood place to begin a career.

ConsBad pay structure, no incentive to perform, manager's micro manage. Sometimes, management feels it necessary to ride you into the ground, You literally cannot do anything right, until it is someone else's turn.

Advice to Senior ManagementBack off, show respect, share the profits, don't play favorites.

If U R 50+ great place to work towards your retirement, peacefully ...

IT Dev (Current Employee)
Johns Creek, GA

I have been working at Macy's Systems & Technology full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat place to learn about IT infrastructure. Very knowledgeable people. Willing to share their expertise. Diversity & Inclusion is a high priority.

ConsMedical benefits are very poor. Raises are per retail industry standards - like 25c an hour !!!
40% people work and 60% folks are coasting towards their retirement.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward the performers. Train the managers in relationship and team building. Encourage cross-functional training. Salary hikes should be in IT industry standards.

backend testing

Senior Testing Advocate (Current Employee)
Duluth, GA

I have been working at Macy's Systems & Technology as a contractor for less than a year

Prosgood environment,good team and manager

ConsI do not feel I have nay cons to tell

Advice to Senior Managementnothing to advice

Excellent place to work with the cutting edge technologies

Systems Specialist (Current Employee)
Johns Creek, GA

I have been working at Macy's Systems & Technology full-time for more than a year

ProsFast paced, lots of learning

Consbad benefits, incompetent senior management

Mirco-Management from uneducated upper management.....

ProsThere is flexibility among your team - 3weeks vacation - you will meet some great ppl -

ConsIT Department is a sweat shop - over worked - resource allocation issues - leadership is reactive instead of proactive

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to change the 1960's mind set(good oh boy system) Need to bring in some FRESH, YOUNG, DIVERSE TALENT

Stuck in time company

Enterprise Data Architect (Former Employee)

I worked at Macy's Systems & Technology full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOrganization has country club atmosphere

ConsDoes not recognize or respect talent

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove a couple of Management Layers.

Good starter job and fair managment

Field Technician (Current Employee)

ProsDiscounts on anything the companys sells and 401k 6% match

ConsAdvancement limited to mainly at tech hubs, atlanta, OH and NYC

I enjoyed working at MST as a developer. The interview was okay , I would say more technical. Team was good .

Senior Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Macy's Systems & Technology full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood company , Great employee discount, good people. Internal training was good.

ConsNot very flexible and sometimes hard to maintain work/life balance, not many growth opportunities. Rigid and conservative!

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your people and help them maintain the work life balance . These days with technology you can connect and work from anywhere anytime. Let people telecommute. Give more training and be respectful to other cultures.

Great company

Programmer Analyst I (Current Employee)
Duluth, GA

ProsGreat experience, great coworkers, great management

ConsI have not found any cons

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open to flexible work situations

Worked for Macy's Systems & Technology? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macy's Systems & Technology reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Macy's Systems & Technology CEO Larry Lewark. All 37 reviews posted anonymously by Macy's Systems & Technology employees.