Macy's

4,469 Reviews

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren
Terry J. Lundgren
1,283 Ratings

Pros
  • The only "pro" about this job is the employee discount, but it isn't even that great (in 496 reviews)

• The company offers some flexibility in terms of work/life balance (in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't push their credit card down the customers throat you get fired (in 326 reviews)

• They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet (in 100 reviews)

More Highlights

75 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I was given great responsibility early on and learned a lot.

Current Employee - Store Management Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Store Management Intern in Washington, DC

Pros

I loved the people. It was fun to go to work everyday, and I developed a great relationship with my mentor.

Cons

Retail schedules can be a pain, so sometimes I wouldn't get home until 11 pm if I worked late.

Allow managers to spend more time on the floor driving metrics.

You get what you pay for....

Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate  in  Waldorf, MD
    Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Waldorf, MD

Pros

Flexible scheduling, ability to view schedule, request off days, access employee info online, discounts even on sale items

Cons

starting pay is minimum wage.....really? You could make more per hour delivering pizzaif its a slow sales week. You have to use a macys card in order to get discounts

That pay rate needs to be increased in order to lessen the churn rate. Its hard to give 100 percent to a job that pays minimum....minimum pay sometimes brings on minimum effort

Every one was very friendly

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Washington, DC

Pros

We had a meeting every weekday morning and got free coffee and doughnuts
    employee discounts
    on the job training

Cons

The only con was the pay

The Pay should compare to the cost of living

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Holiday Retail during winter break

Former Employee - Macy's Seasonal Sales Associate  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Macy's Seasonal Sales Associate in Fairfax, VA

Pros

I applied online after Thanksgiving and they were able to interview me, train me, and put me on the floor by the 1st of December. The team was friendly and the training was sufficient.

Cons

The schedule was irregular and there were few additional benefits as a temporary hire.

I didn't have much interaction with management level people. I wish there were more since I would have liked to learn the business of retail management.

Awarding

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC

Pros

Listen and rendering quality customer service.

Cons

Set your own hours, great for retirees, students, or part time day hours for moms.

Make sure your sales associates have everything needed to give customer satisfaction.

Pays some of the bills

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in McLean, VA

Pros

Employee discounts - but 20% discount does not apply to all departments.

Cons

Management does not care. Everyone is expendable. Department managers often refuse to handle difficult situations and are mad when actually have to come to help. Employees are rude to one another to the point of not acknowledging other employees when asking questions. Unrealistic demands and quotas.

Treat employees with respect. Listen to employees' concerns rather than viewing them as troublemakers. Look at why employee turnover is high. Training is incomplete at best. Stop telling employees that managers are there to help. Employees are not the enemy.

You get out of it what you put in

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bethesda, MD

Pros

Co-workers & Management - the majority of the people I worked with were amazing. I am still close to one of my managers today and I consider her a mentor. If you work hard your managers will notice. This will make your experience better.
    Employee Discount
    Growth - I worked very hard during my time at Macy's and within six months had already received two promotions, which ended me working in the cosmetics department.

Cons

The Macy's I worked at forced us to join a Union. Being a part-time employee getting paid a quarter above minimum wage, a Union was something I did not want to pour my money into.
    The customers; management at Macy's has given the customer way too much freedom for too long. Customers now know that if they treat an employee like dirt by complaining about something completely out of the stores control, they will be rewarded with a coupon or "Macy's Money" to help them remain loyal customers. This causes the employees to be treated like dirt on a consistent basis, and it is more prevalent during the holiday seasons.

Be more forceful with customers; the customer is not always right and it is time they were treated that way. Also, increase your starting base salary. A quarter above minimum wage is ridiculous for a sales job at Macy's (this is in Maryland); it's a large department store and when I worked there I had a multitude of tasks to complete within a shift and was always asked to stay overtime to help clean other departments. Minimum wage jobs should be left for teenager positions at small stores, not large department stores.

Worst Job I ever had

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC

Pros

flexibility of the schedule if you're on call.

Cons

poorly paid
    overworked and not compensated for all the work that you do.
    they expect you to work hard, but only offer you a 0.05 cent raise. eff that.
    management
    everthing.. poor customer service.

Learn how to manage before you all yourselves managers. As big a company as Macy's is, it's ridiculous that they can't afford or won't put out the money to train their managers properly. Every Macy's I've ever been to has always had horrible lower and upper management. That tells me it's not just that particular store, it's the company.

Everyone was quite horrible

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate  in  Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Rockville, MD

Pros

I remember the person next to me at the register was great. Plus employee benefits. I got discounts on a lot of things.

Cons

They fired the person next to me whom I liked and then I had this foreign woman who didn't speak English next to me. I had to help her with the register and with what the customers wanted! Plus the managers were very unfair. Everyone was so competitive and they gave out working hours unfairly. We weren't treated with dignity, and none of the teams were tight-knit like I hoped for.

Blah

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Discount on clothes which you can add up. 20% coupon or discount using your Macy's card, and then another 20% for employee discount. A good job for first time workers as the hours aren't long if you work part time, or if you just want some pocket change.

Cons

Management was too aggressive when it comes to making your sales goal and opening up new Macy's credit cards. And you will hate everything and everyone during the holiday seasons.

Be more understanding as to the fact that not everyone wants to open another card. The way the world is today people to worry about a lot of things, and I'm sure shopping at Macys on a day to day basic isn't one problem they want.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!