Macy's Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Macy's Chairman & CEO Terry J. Lundgren
Terry J. Lundgren

Pros
  • 2- Employee discount (on top of store markdowns) is a wonderful thing (in 589 reviews)

• hours are balanced for work life balance (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance as the company struggles to compete with other stores by offering lame OneDay sales with peculiar hours (in 118 reviews)

• Morning meetings consisted of the store manager basically telling you to "push" store credit cards on customers (in 373 reviews)

1. Macy's, Inc. Review

Current Employee - Empowered Sales Associate in Potomac, MD
    Current Employee - Empowered Sales Associate in Potomac, MD

I have been working at Macy's (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent place to work if you put in the work.

Cons

Customers don't clean up after themselves and can be demeaning.

Advice to Management

Help employees advance in the careers.

2. Hit or Miss

Current Employee - Sales Support Associate in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Support Associate in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Ability to advance - Flexible Hours - Good Discount - Standard work environment

Cons

- Pay - Quality of your work can be and usually is dependent on others - Upper management pushing out policies that hinder work

Advice to Management

Listen to employees beyond the bi-annual surveys

3. Team Lead

Current Employee - Team Lead in Waldorf, MD
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Waldorf, MD

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn about sales and management. They are definite opportunities of growth.

Cons

The turn around of managers does not allow an associate to have the chance to shadow a manager. The salary and strict non-overtime rules makes it hard for a dedicated worker to serve a customer or do their job correctly.

Advice to Management

Treat your better associates better than you do the slackers. This will not only make them appreciate the job more (despite the salary) but they will be more willing to work with you.

5. Macy's Mayhem

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Allows for extensive collaboration with peers. Ability to advance quickly within the organization.

Cons

Sales Managers do not have enough support. No ability to plan life because there isn't a set schedule.

6. Management Nightmare

Former Employee - Clinique Consultant in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Clinique Consultant in McLean, VA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Discount is nice. -Gratis 3 times a year plus classes which give you even more products -Relaxed with coworkers

Cons

-Management was horrid. They gossip like cjoldren. They don't lead by example. Certain counter managers can't even do make up or wear it. Counter manager literally is never at the counter because she has to do "numbers" for 6 hours. Managers are also harsh even when employees have family emergencies. Also very unprofessional in front of customers, starting arguments in front of customers and so on. -I quit and a few hours later my fellow coworkers were asking me if I said anything about them when quitting, which I didn't, management tried to use me to pin things on associates still working at Macy's. And now the whole counter is ready to follow and quit once a better job presents itself.

Advice to Management

Change management at Clinique counter and Sales managers. Very unprofessional

7. Counter Manager

Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in McLean, VA

I worked at Macy's full-time

Pros

Gratis- products from the vendors, vendor training, some very nice people associates

Cons

people with no integrity and/or management skills, most little to no education and probably 99% are foreigners, elderly and children. Should not be considered a career just a paycheck and not a very good paycheck. If you have no skills and are from another country, senior citizen or under 24 without education and don't need to use your job Asa primary source for your livelihood; then Macy's is the job for you. Unrealistic expectations, horrible hours and attendance requirements are prehistoric with time clock system. The registers and technology is as old as most of the buildings they lease. Management only care about credit card applications because that is how the GM get his incentive pay which is a good percentage of the GM salary. Most folks spend all their salaries back and often go into debt that make them a slave to the job. Just google them and you will see all the lawsuits nationwide from coercion to racism. If you can find anything else to do, please do it! This is one of the worst employers in the U.S. In terms of caring for employees. They stand out in front of Walmart in terms of abuse for international employees. Likely because most of them are grateful to have any job because their own countries are in such distress Macy's take full advantage and work them like slaves for years with increases of .10 per year average . That's right I said ten cents. A quarter a year is for top performers. Thank God some work for cosmetics and cologne vendors who add a little better commission and incentivize for them. But overall it's is still at or below minimum wages. Please stay tune for more on this company. Undoubtedly they will be in the news again and again for unscrupulous practices. This company is a billionaire company with over 150 years of America's biggest celebrations wrapped around their dirty fingers. But with power and wealth they feel they are above integrity and law. I really pray one day they have to pY back all those employees that are currently enslaved and former. If you are offered a job here do yourself a favor and just say "NO"!!!!'

Advice to Management

this company literally need to clean house from the back door to the front office. There are too many bad apples here, the entire bunch has rotten. I said start at the top and toss them all out and start all over again. Especially security. They racial profile, bully and comity all kind of illegal acts. In terms of stolen goods the company should start with security, they are the biggest culprit s of theft. They rob the store of goods and the people of integrity and civil rights. Most of these folks If not all should be hand cuffed , put in jail and throw away the keys! I select one star only because there are not any negative numbers to select. But my rating is negative 10 in all categories. The sad news is they have a lot of very good employees working there that deserve so much better. They are liars that don't send up for their employees. Many lawsuits and boycotts in the future of this company. The store is a dump beyond the bright lights and polished displays. Someone should use some of those Macy's dollars to do some repairs and replacements, more to come on this one too. Department management really need training bad. People management, HR, Diversity training, Performance management. It was so primitive I felt like I went back in time. Unbelievable! The new store name should be "Hustlers" because all they want you to do is beg and hustle. One event after the next. In an upscale location people just want to shop. They don't come to the store to be harassed into buying credit cards and gifts that are worthless for the most part. This store is a good marketing advertisement for why people shop on line. They want what they want and they don't want the hustle !!!!!'mm

Women's Shoe Recovery

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at Macy's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved working at Macy's because it was fast paced, the environment was great and the managers was great as well and it helped me learn a lot more about the company and customers assistants experience.

Cons

Not enough hours and cashiers

Good company

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent Pay and hours, like most of my work and co-workers. Most customers are nice but there's others that just destroy the changing rooms and want a lot of discounts. My schedule works for my life outside of work but I could probably do more with my abilities elsewhere.

Cons

Too much to do sometimes, trying to tell customers about credit card, Plenti, myclient, try to get them to buy a gift card too. I get tired of hearing about magic sometimes. Sometimes customers want to be left alone to shop and I respect that, but it's not acceptable to leave them alone according to my current manager. Tired of the black dress code but a lot of people have dumped it and no one tells them to wear the black if they don't want to.

10. I liked my time with Macy's

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wheaton, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wheaton, MD

I worked at Macy's

Pros

I enjoyed my time at Macy's the job itself was pretty straight forward. The training was very long and tedious, you actually learn more on your first day on the actual sales floor than on the computer. Most people keep to themselves and the managers are usually at your disposal to help whenever any issues arise with customers.

Cons

The POS computers sometimes crashed. Which was very inconvenient. There was very little direction on what to do when you weren't assisting customers.

11. Customer service

Former Employee - Retail Specialist in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Retail Specialist in McLean, VA

I worked at Macy's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meeting new people, and gaining a new client.

Cons

Not all co workers are team players

Advice to Management

Improvement in communication with employees.

Showing 129 of 7,152 reviews