Mad Science Reviews

Ariel Shlien

Instructor

Former Employee - Instructor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Instructor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Mad Science part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, great teaching experience, good for future teachers, decent pay

Cons

Driving required, few hours of work to start

A very creative environment for science lovers!

Former Employee - Science Instructor in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Science Instructor in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Mad Science part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I had a chance to work with some terrific colleagues; most of the team we worked as teams if we at the same work-site. The training was excellent and the pay was fantastic for a part-time job.

Cons

The job required driving to locations that were most often outside of the employee's residential area. Also, you had to be prepared to lift a lot of heavy equipment without assistance at the work-site.

My management team was great people!

Great Place to Work For Students in The Sciences

Former Employee - After School Instructor in Sylmar, CA
    Former Employee - After School Instructor in Sylmar, CA

I worked at Mad Science part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get to work with young children
    You get to teach science and perform demos
    A lot of fun
    They pay for travel(but not enough)
    Cool lab coat(u pay 4 for it out of your check)
    Paid training($10 pr hr)
    Paid once a week

Cons

Driving over the rainbow(they have NO limits to where they will send you)
    They never factor in traffic
    They will send you various places like Downey and expect you to also teach in Long Beach and then be back in Sylmar by 5pm.
    You will have to drive to Sylmar for training and checks

Please give instructors better schedules where they teach in a territory that is based on their home location. Ex: If you live in Los Angeles and they want to send you to Lancaster.

The Interesting experience of Mad Science

Current Employee - Mad Scientist Field Performer in Middletown, DE
    Current Employee - Mad Scientist Field Performer in Middletown, DE

I have been working at Mad Science part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very relaxed, kids are usually easy to excite, very easy to prepare once you have done a routine before, always responded promptly when I asked for one thing or another (usually information), tips can be pretty good.

Cons

You have to drive for quite awhile before gas compensation kicks in, the training system has much to be desired and relies on the employee to develop their skills through experience rather than instruction

Improve your training methods, observing one party leaves the new proctor unprepared for conducting their own at a suitable quality without many hours of material study to compensate for the lack of formal education.

Great Summer Job for Future Teachers

Former Employee - Lead Instructor
    Former Employee - Lead Instructor

I worked at Mad Science full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is rewarding to provide summer entertainment and learning for children. It is a versatile job in which you get to work with different people and in different places every week. The pay is nice, and it is great experience for those looking to get into teaching.

Cons

At times you are required to drive quite far, but you can be paid back milage if it's outside of a certain radius from your home. Also, if you are missing something from your kit at the campsite, you'll have to reorganize your teaching plan for the day because most times you won't be able to get the materials that you're missing.

Great if you can handle the driving and kids

Former Employee - Mad Scientist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Mad Scientist in Houston, TX

I worked at Mad Science

Pros

You get to work with kids, have fun with them in the classroom. Birthday parties are an absolute blast and you can get tipped well. You're never working for long. Classes are usually an hour, birthday parties two hours or so. If you like entertaining people then it's perfect.

Cons

A lot of people will say the training sucks but I kept on top of it and rarely minded it. The driving is a big issue, you'll spend quite a lot of time in the car, especially if your class lets out anywhere around rush hour. Also getting and returning kits from the office. It can really add up.

Management is super freakin' duper unprofessional and that is their biggest strength and their biggest weakness. If you get to be pals with them then you're unlikely to ever get more than a slap on the wrist for your biggest fiascos. If not, then it'll seem like you can't do anything right with the amount of lectures I've seen other employees receive. They try to scare you "straight" with long talks and rarely anything else which betrays the underlying fact that they are extremely reluctant to let anyone go and always in need of new contractors. This situation will be a dream come true to a lot of under-performers/slackers/stoners but I think it leaves those with bigger ambitions always looking for new work.

Cut down on paperwork. The boon in your unprofessionalism is that it's polarizing. You end up with certain kinds of employees sticking around because they love you all as people and I think that ends up working out well for the franchise.

Fun but not much fun.

Former Employee - Mad Scientist in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Mad Scientist in Boston, MA

I worked at Mad Science part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fair amount of money, nice people and nice kids some of the time, takes a lot of patience, tax write off for miles driven, sometimes get tips from birthday parties

Cons

Lots of driving, kits usually not complete or clean, some of the kids dont want to be there and are belligerent and mean.

Awesome ,fun ,exciting and always something new

Current Employee - Marketing in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Marketing in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Mad Science full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

New science experiments for the kids weekly ,fun people ,outgoing people, lots of variety

Cons

gets pretty busy and lots to do , however ,it's fine as we get it done

Be fun loving ,like you are and have a open point of view

Awesome experience teaching children.

Current Employee - Mad Scientist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Mad Scientist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Mad Science part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent variety--always traveling and teaching new lessons.
    The pay is good for a non-salaried wage. I was a high school/college aged student looking for a part time job and this was excellent. There are some career Mad Scientists who seemed to be doing alright, too.

Cons

Management (at least in Houston) was only pretty okay. Their training methods were extremely antiquated--not a dealbreaker, though. Just kind of frustrating.
    A lot of driving around--MS Houston covers a lot of area. Depending on where your workshop/camps are you can add up to two or three hours to your work day.

Update your lesson training materials! Please.

It can be pretty demanding but overall pretty relaxed.

Current Employee - Science Instructor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Science Instructor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Mad Science full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You'll get to work with kids, which is very gratifying. If you are a lead you make 20/hr as opposed to 10/hr if you are assisting.

Cons

Too much driving around. They'll move you from one camp to the other every week. They can be pretty demanding as well.

Mad Science Photos