Mad Science

Updated January 2, 2015
Updated January 2, 2015
3.6

Ariel Shlien

Mad Science of Charlotte cares about their employees.

I have been working at Mad Science

Pros

Tips are nice from parties. They pay for training and meetings. They pay for travel beyond a certain distance. If an employee makes a mistake only that employee gets lectured about it. They try hard to limit the number of times you have to come in and pick up the kits. They are honest with the people they hire and are willing to make decisions quickly. I went with them over a competitor because Mad Science offered me the job first even though they interviewed me last. The kids who want to learn science. Cool toys.

Cons

Work amount is dependent on schools and there are down times. Parents show up late some times to pick up kids. Not a full time job. Lots of driving. The kids who misbehave.

Keep moving towards less messy kits for the classrooms. Pictures of how to pack kits.

Great if you aren't really needing to make money

Former Employee - Mad Scientist (After School Program Instructor) in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Mad Scientist (After School Program Instructor) in Denton, TX

I worked at Mad Science part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun job (usually)
    Great for teaching experience
    Nice managers and coworkers
    Usually the kits are really cool
    Sometimes the kids are sweet
    Chances for bonuses

Cons

Long driving distances
    Lots of unpaid prep-time for lessons required (hours before you get to the classroom and 30min-1hour for set up and clean up in the classroom)
    You don't get gas compensation for your exact mileage; they use a predetermined distance from your wear house to the schools (My closest wear house was over 15 miles into all of my drives so I would actually drive about 30+ more miles each time I worked then I was compensated for which adds up)
    I was pretty much just working to pay for my gas needs that were mostly to get to work
    Required to drive to wear house each week for kit exchange (which can take hours and is a bit of a drive) unpaid
    Can be pretty stressful being stuck alone with 20+ children who have been in class all day (I was left alone with as many pre-k and kindergarteners on my second day ever)
    Inflexible- if you couldn't work it can be hard to find someone to cover your class. Also, I would get assigned to schools that were really hard to get to with my availability I had given them (I'm a college student and would often times be running straight to my car from class and would still have trouble getting there on time) and I'd get in trouble if I wasn't there at least 15-30 minutes before my class started which led to me skipping my college class A LOT that semester

Fun, Classroom Experience, but lots of limitations

Former Employee - After School Instructor in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - After School Instructor in Orange, CA

I worked at Mad Science part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get to work with kids and while class is a lot of work they're also a lot of fun. The other teachers you meet are generally upbeat and energetic too. For a college student looking to get classroom experience, this is great. I could also see retired teachers/science geeks having fun with this, but I would not recommend for anyone that needs a regular, predictable income.

Cons

The pay and schedule make it very difficult to make it worth working here. You generally have 1 class per day, right in the middle of the day. That's about 2 hours of your time (could be longer depending on the drive and school's parking lot traffic) right in the middle of the day. You only get paid for the actual class time and will also need to train yourself as well (they do provide manuals and videos though).

The company is a franchise, so each location has it's own set of challenges.

As equipment manager I gained valuable experience, but was ultimately overwhelmed by extremely high job expectations.

I worked at Mad Science full-time

Pros

Schedule was good.Compensation was excellent given my experience level. It was cool knowing what you were doing was having a positive impact on kid's lives.

Cons

Personal growth, no benefits, exteremly difficult circumstances.

After school instructor

Former Employee - After School Instructor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - After School Instructor in Austin, TX

I worked at Mad Science part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, great co-workers and administration is easy to work with.

Cons

If you don't have patience with kids, do not work here. Just don't.

Instructor

Former Employee - Instructor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Instructor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Mad Science part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, great teaching experience, good for future teachers, decent pay

Cons

Driving required, few hours of work to start

A very creative environment for science lovers!

Former Employee - Science Instructor in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Science Instructor in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Mad Science part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I had a chance to work with some terrific colleagues; most of the team we worked as teams if we at the same work-site. The training was excellent and the pay was fantastic for a part-time job.

Cons

The job required driving to locations that were most often outside of the employee's residential area. Also, you had to be prepared to lift a lot of heavy equipment without assistance at the work-site.

My management team was great people!

Great Place to Work For Students in The Sciences

Former Employee - After School Instructor in Sylmar, CA
    Former Employee - After School Instructor in Sylmar, CA

I worked at Mad Science part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get to work with young children
    You get to teach science and perform demos
    A lot of fun
    They pay for travel(but not enough)
    Cool lab coat(u pay 4 for it out of your check)
    Paid training($10 pr hr)
    Paid once a week

Cons

Driving over the rainbow(they have NO limits to where they will send you)
    They never factor in traffic
    They will send you various places like Downey and expect you to also teach in Long Beach and then be back in Sylmar by 5pm.
    You will have to drive to Sylmar for training and checks

Please give instructors better schedules where they teach in a territory that is based on their home location. Ex: If you live in Los Angeles and they want to send you to Lancaster.

The Interesting experience of Mad Science

Current Employee - Mad Scientist Field Performer in Middletown, DE
    Current Employee - Mad Scientist Field Performer in Middletown, DE

I have been working at Mad Science part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very relaxed, kids are usually easy to excite, very easy to prepare once you have done a routine before, always responded promptly when I asked for one thing or another (usually information), tips can be pretty good.

Cons

You have to drive for quite awhile before gas compensation kicks in, the training system has much to be desired and relies on the employee to develop their skills through experience rather than instruction

Improve your training methods, observing one party leaves the new proctor unprepared for conducting their own at a suitable quality without many hours of material study to compensate for the lack of formal education.

Great Summer Job for Future Teachers

Former Employee - Lead Instructor
    Former Employee - Lead Instructor

I worked at Mad Science full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is rewarding to provide summer entertainment and learning for children. It is a versatile job in which you get to work with different people and in different places every week. The pay is nice, and it is great experience for those looking to get into teaching.

Cons

At times you are required to drive quite far, but you can be paid back milage if it's outside of a certain radius from your home. Also, if you are missing something from your kit at the campsite, you'll have to reorganize your teaching plan for the day because most times you won't be able to get the materials that you're missing.

Mad Science Photos