Mad Science Reviews

3.6
Ariel Shlien

1. Great Work Environment

I worked at Mad Science full-time

Pros

Work with children Positive affect on kids good pay in WA

Cons

driving is a chore not paid for transportation can cause issues

Advice to Management

Work on transportation costs

2. Good, if you want to get some more experience teaching and get your foot in the door at schools

Former Employee - After School Instructor in Laguna Hills, CA
    Former Employee - After School Instructor in Laguna Hills, CA

I worked at Mad Science part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great way to get teaching experience Fun You learn a lot You can get your foot in the door at schools Great if you like kids and want to teach Good work/life balance

Cons

It's not really full time It doesn't pay all that well Can be a lot of driving If you don't like kids and don't like to teach, then this won't be a fun job Hard to move up or be promoted No benefits Might have to get another job to support yourself

Advice to Management

Maybe pay a bit more and add more hours.

3. Mad science of central virginia

I have been working at Mad Science part-time

Pros

working with the kids is so much fun, I am a science lover and am in school for early childhood education so the part-time work is great.

Cons

The owners do not properly compensate you. There is NO raises or anything, I have been with them for 3 years and have never gotten a pay raise. They do not CPR or first aid train any of their staff. It is and unorganized, ill run mess and I worry about employees not getting paid properly ( i constantly have to remind my boss that i have not received paychecks) Basically if you work here you need to be the most responsible one because the owners arent. Also,the schedule gets sent out the Thursday before work starts. So you get the schedule Thursday June 1st for Monday June 5th. They have also made it perfectly clear that a schedule sent out a week in advance is not possible. Basically the owners expect you to do THEIR job for a part time payment. I constantly get asked to work with less than 48 hours notice and yet they provde to extra compensation. They refuse to pay you for kit pickups even though it is their fault you have to make an extra trip to the lab. Honestly someone from corporate needs to come check on this mad science.

Advice to Management

You need to hire someone to come in and fix all of the issues. There is not a single full-time employee there and things are going to just get worse.

5. This is a fun job intended for part-time work

Current Employee - Science Enrichment Instructor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Science Enrichment Instructor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Mad Science part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with children, getting them excited about science

Cons

Having to deal with the materials and picking them up/dropping them off

Fun, but not looking to support you.

Current Employee - Mad Scientist in Lithia, FL
    Current Employee - Mad Scientist in Lithia, FL

I have been working at Mad Science

Pros

-You get to play with the kits yourself while preping. -Kids think you're cool -Lots of patience and guidance from mentors -Usually you get free treats from the birthday party assignments

Cons

-Not paid for all of the preparation and travel that happens before the performance. -A little over an hour of pay for each performance. -Less than 20 hours a week -Study and preparation are on your own time, by yourself, you have to provide your own structure.

Advice to Management

Make prep work part of the pay structure, and officially provide training or guidance on how to guide young children in activities, or quell disruptive behavior. Other than that, great experience.

Mad Science of Charlotte cares about their employees.

I have been working at Mad Science

Pros

Tips are nice from parties. They pay for training and meetings. They pay for travel beyond a certain distance. If an employee makes a mistake only that employee gets lectured about it. They try hard to limit the number of times you have to come in and pick up the kits. They are honest with the people they hire and are willing to make decisions quickly. I went with them over a competitor because Mad Science offered me the job first even though they interviewed me last. The kids who want to learn science. Cool toys.

Cons

Work amount is dependent on schools and there are down times. Parents show up late some times to pick up kids. Not a full time job. Lots of driving. The kids who misbehave.

Advice to Management

Keep moving towards less messy kits for the classrooms. Pictures of how to pack kits.

Great if you aren't really needing to make money

Former Employee - Mad Scientist (After School Program Instructor) in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Mad Scientist (After School Program Instructor) in Denton, TX

I worked at Mad Science part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun job (usually) Great for teaching experience Nice managers and coworkers Usually the kits are really cool Sometimes the kids are sweet Chances for bonuses

Cons

Long driving distances Lots of unpaid prep-time for lessons required (hours before you get to the classroom and 30min-1hour for set up and clean up in the classroom) You don't get gas compensation for your exact mileage; they use a predetermined distance from your wear house to the schools (My closest wear house was over 15 miles into all of my drives so I would actually drive about 30+ more miles each time I worked then I was compensated for which adds up) I was pretty much just working to pay for my gas needs that were mostly to get to work Required to drive to wear house each week for kit exchange (which can take hours and is a bit of a drive) unpaid Can be pretty stressful being stuck alone with 20+ children who have been in class all day (I was left alone with as many pre-k and kindergarteners on my second day ever) Inflexible- if you couldn't work it can be hard to find someone to cover your class. Also, I would get assigned to schools that were really hard to get to with my availability I had given them (I'm a college student and would often times be running straight to my car from class and would still have trouble getting there on time) and I'd get in trouble if I wasn't there at least 15-30 minutes before my class started which led to me skipping my college class A LOT that semester

Fun, Classroom Experience, but lots of limitations

Former Employee - After School Instructor in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - After School Instructor in Orange, CA

I worked at Mad Science part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work with kids and while class is a lot of work they're also a lot of fun. The other teachers you meet are generally upbeat and energetic too. For a college student looking to get classroom experience, this is great. I could also see retired teachers/science geeks having fun with this, but I would not recommend for anyone that needs a regular, predictable income.

Cons

The pay and schedule make it very difficult to make it worth working here. You generally have 1 class per day, right in the middle of the day. That's about 2 hours of your time (could be longer depending on the drive and school's parking lot traffic) right in the middle of the day. You only get paid for the actual class time and will also need to train yourself as well (they do provide manuals and videos though).

Advice to Management

The company is a franchise, so each location has it's own set of challenges.

As equipment manager I gained valuable experience, but was ultimately overwhelmed by extremely high job expectations.

I worked at Mad Science full-time

Pros

Schedule was good.Compensation was excellent given my experience level. It was cool knowing what you were doing was having a positive impact on kid's lives.

Cons

Personal growth, no benefits, exteremly difficult circumstances.

11. After school instructor

Former Employee - After School Instructor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - After School Instructor in Austin, TX

I worked at Mad Science part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, great co-workers and administration is easy to work with.

Cons

If you don't have patience with kids, do not work here. Just don't.

RSS Feed </> Embed