Madcap Software Reviews

Madcap Software CEO Anthony Olivier
Anthony Olivier

1. Hey, I Really Like It Here

I have been working at Madcap Software full-time

Pros

I've worked for a number of companies over the years and MadCap Software is by far the best so far. I agree with the other reviewer who says he/she doesn't recognize the company when reading some of the negative reviews on here. Here's my take on that... It sounds like most of the dissatisfaction comes from people who were in the Sales department here. I'm not in that department, so I can't comment too much about the specifics. But I do know that we have some sales people who have been here for quite some time and they seem pretty successful and happy to me. It seems to me that you really must have two key qualities if you're going to work at MadCap Software: talent and a work ethic. It's pretty much a given that those who are unhappy with the company and didn't last are missing one or both of those qualities. If you're a dullard who just wants to come in and surf the Internet all day long, you're not going to make it here. In fact, I beg you, please don't apply to work here if you're either untalented or lazy. I don't want to look at you everyday. But if you've got talent and don't mind putting in an honest day's work, there's no reason you can't be as happy and successful here as most people seem to be. Also, for the person who compares MadCap Sofware to Iraq, that kind of comment is extremely dishonest and, well, moronic. I'm not surprised you didn't last at this company. And as for the bad smell, have you considered the possibility that it might have been you? Positives: - Great people - Nice location. La Jolla is beautiful, lots of wonderful places to eat and take a walk to break up your day. - The products are great and practically sell themselves. - The CEO is awesome. I don't understand any of the negative comments. He cares a lot about his employees. - I'm happy with the compensation. - Seems like a company with a very bright future.

Cons

Negatives: - Traffic getting into La Jolla can be a pain sometimes. - It sounds like the hiring process for sales people needs to be looked at. Too many unexceptional humans seem to be getting through the door. - I'd like to be able to work from home sometimes. If I've shown I can get my work done (and I know I can actually get MORE done from home), I don't see why it should be an issue, especially for a technology company. - I wish there were more bathrooms on the first floor.

Advice to Management

Please try to be a more selective when hiring people for the Sales department. It should require more than someone who has a pulse and a LinkedIn account. Also, please consider a work-at-home policy of some kind. Maybe after an employee is here for a certain number of years they should be able to work from home x number of days a week.

2. Industry leading product and top-tier support

Current Employee - Sales in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at Madcap Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Industry leading products. Research the technical writing/documentation groups on LinkedIn and don't just take my word for it. Also see customer list on the MadCap site to get a feel for who uses MadCap Software. -Top tier technical and customer support. It's refreshing from a sales perspective to know your clients will be taken care of. -Great group of people to work with (in all departments) -Great office location (beach, restaurants, people watching)- La Jolla is a global tourist destination for good reason -Frequent company sponsored happy hours/activities around La Jolla -Company is constantly developing new products and new service offerings -Changes are made and deployed very quickly. Nimble company -You get to work with and learn new technology

Cons

-No remote working opportunities -No 401k match -No clear path for advancement (need to blaze your own path- pro?) -La Jolla is quite expensive -Summertime traffic can be heavy at times

Advice to Management

As the company grows, focus also on growing your employees. Continue to optimize internal systems to keep up with growth.

3. Innovative company with lots of potential

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA

I worked at Madcap Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked in the engineering department for more than two years. Madcap is a leader in its industry and always one step ahead of its competitors. Also, upper managers are very supportive and provide a good working environment for their employees. - Flexible work time - Health and dental benefits. - Beautiful location - Friendly environment and smart co-workers who work hard. - Ping pong table - Happy-hour and holiday events - Upper managers are willing to listen, and cooperate with your needs Personally, I learned so much working at Madcap and had an overall positive experience of my career.

Cons

- Minor traffic due to its location.

Mostly good with 1 huge drawback

I worked at Madcap Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wow, I needed to view some other company stuff on Glass Door and was required to write a review. Can't believe all the activity I see for such a small company. I will write this in an attempt to be fair to the company and to job seekers. It's been some time since I left so I don't know what is going on lately in sales (or anything) I can say that for the most part I liked working there and had no real issues with Anthony (CEO) or anyone really.

Cons

quota growth vs last year was too aggressive. This is technical writing software, not Apple Inc. Good product but growth will take time. No opportunity for career growth in sales.

Advice to Management

All said above.

6. I feel the Need to make a few clarifications.

I have been working at Madcap Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I just want to start off with telling everyone reading this that I still work here. A co-worker sent me a review that was recently posted. After reading all of the reviews, I feel responsible to defend a company that has treated me so well. I will also tell you that I am not in the Sales department, so I really can't verify a lot of the bold and obviously ornery reviews made by disgruntled former employees about that particular department. - I get paid well for what I do and my manager never stops trying to get me more raises every year. They really reward your efforts here. - The employees that do their job and do it well are the happiest employees I've ever seen. As long as you get your stuff done and accomplished well. You are free to come and go, drink a beer at your desk. But do not misunderstand, that doesn't mean you can just take off on your second day, or even month of working here...this is a trust that MUST be earned. - I have never been micromanaged. Anthony (CEO) is outstanding, involved, and works extremely hard. He is always present, which can not be said about most CEO's. That doesn't mean he micromanages. If former employees are complaining, it's because they sucked at their job. We all have goals to meet and tasks to accomplish. Get your stuff done, and you are left alone. - the location and office is great. Again, if people are complaining it's because they don't clean up after themselves. We aren't the cleaners. Clean your own desk, cleaners aren't allowed to touch them, besides the trashcans. Weird smells and crazy nasty carpets? No idea what they mean. In the midst of their complaining they forgot to mention that we are provided with free food and drinks, along with (pretty much) monthly happy hours and company events. - Have to work overtime? they buy you dinner. Want to work hard and be recognized and grow? this is the place to be. I can have a good laugh with all of management. but when it's time to work. its time to work. if you want to work here, you need to understand when its time to have fun and when it's time to work. We don't have the time to babysit your every moan and groan. - I've had so many great experiences here that it was like I was reading about a different company on this page. Truly heartbreaking, and I just don't understand why there are so many. My only guess is that people who succeed in this company (actually work hard) don't leave, and have no real reason to log on here. The people making these reviews are disgruntled people who don't understand the true meaning of working hard for a company that is definitely going places. - I know most of the former employees that wrote these passed reviews and I for one can say, that most lacked something. - Our software and the minds behind it are top-notch. I truly feel privileged to work with such smart and fun people. - I can make this pros list go on for days. But let's move on with the Cons.

Cons

- Like I mentioned at the beginning. I'm not in sales. But my common sense tells me that you shouldn't be starting a new employee with an unattainable first month goal. Tapper it along with training. There is nothing worse than destroying someones morale when they first start. - If people in sales are truly not getting proper guidance and no innovations have been made to better this workflow...What we waiting for???

Advice to Management

- There is clearly something going wrong in sales. Let's fix it. It breaks my heart reading these reviews. We are a great company, potential employees deserve to see the true picture.

Terrible management and company, but decent product

I worked at Madcap Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive - Ping pong table -They pay you a bonus if you are on the phone for a certain amount of time. - They make a quality product - Decent benefits - Location (they pay for your parking) - Smart and talented programmers work there - Very hard working employees that take pride in their work. - They love their customers - They will pay for your hotel room across the street if the deadline is close and you are required to program into the late night or early morning. This happens each time an update is going to be released. This is do to poor planning/insight and lack of staff - A few good gyms in the area - Fun places to take a walk during lunch - They allow dogs in the office in some situations - Unlimited fruit and soda (but it's to keep you working and awake). - Quota can be met by selling training and consultations. (See the neg section for problems with quota) - Madword convention.... fun but it's a way for MadCap to have it's customers pay out of their own pocket to have their product pushed down their throat. As an employee you will be able to attend.

Cons

- The CEO monitors and reads all your incoming and outgoing corporate emails (I was told by other employees and it is 100% verified). - Extreme micromanagement (ceo will come by and ask you about the same sales deal 5 times in one day. This is not an exaggeration and will happen on a daily bases. He will also question reps on emails just sent that they monitored.) - No room for growth. All managers report to the owner - Average life of a salesperson is less than a year. Most are fired or quit. - The CEO brings his kids in and it becomes his daycare everyday during the summer. - Office is dark, dusty, and smells like a dungeon - Lights are hardly ever turned on in the sales room. - The CEO will call the customers directly and call himself Simon. This is to trick the customers into thinking he is just a normal sales rep. - The CEO will be involved in almost all your deals and will water down the pricing to make the customer commit. This would be fine, but the quota is based off of revenue, making your job much, much harder. - Quota is pulled from what they did the following year in the same month. So if a rep did really well the year before by closing a really large company, you are expected to do the same that same month. It makes no sense. -The sales engineers are overworked and are paid far less than the salespeople - The profit margin is so small that most people are scared that the company might not be around in 3 years if it is not sold. - Hardly any training for new hires and 0 quota ramp time. - Customer product training is very expensive for the customer and can be a massive turn off and a very hard sell. - A little over 25% of the sales are international and the sales hours range from 4:30am to 10pm (depending on what countries or US territory they give you) - The market for tech writing software is stagnant. - This company is not the next big thing. The software is met with great competition and all you will be doing is replacing their old software. When Microsoft decides to incorporate the same software in word, Madcap will no longer exist. - You get the sense that this company only exist to get back at Adobe from buying their last company out and laying everyone off years back. - Again... I was shocked at how little revenue the company pulls in quarterly. If you are looking for a company to grow with, this isn't it.

Advice to Management

You have a good product but the owner/CEO needs to go. His ego and micromanagement is destroying and the company and hurting moral. Come up with a better game plan for your product. Invest in the long run of your company and stop waiting to be bought out, because you won't. Advise to any future employees: Do not take this job. There are more options out there that will allow for learning, growth, a strong/fair compensation plan and job stability. Don't just walk away from this company, run.

NOT good place long term for a salesperson

Former Employee - Sales Account Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Account Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Madcap Software full-time

Pros

Lots of leads coming in, no cold calling. Co-workers helpful for the most part. Some fun company outings. Casual dress code. Customers love the product and are very loyal. Some flexibility to run things as your own business. Good work/life balance, you aren't pressured to work 10 hours days just for "the perception".

Cons

Unrealistic YOY quota growth. No stability, territories change every 3-6 months. Small ticket item so no outside positions and hence no room for career growth. No company match 401K. One bathroom for 50 people is puzzling. OK place to make a brief stop if you are just getting into sales or in between jobs but NOT a good long term opportunity. I left for an opportunity that was a 20% step down in pay but better benefits, more growth potential, and more stability. As I look back on it now while writing this review, no doubt it was a good move for my career.

Advice to Management

Find ways to retain good employees so there is not constant churn. Hire a consultant or research better ways to accurately set quotas. Current method sets up top performers and those that brought in large deals for failure the following year. There are other ways out there to set quota. From Sibson consulting (Google it) "Historic Allocation- This method assigns representatives a growth target on top of last year’s performance. It is also a simple process and does not account for territory potential. It may penalize strong performers as they carry the burden of a growth goal on top of historically strong performance."

Sales Disaster

Former Employee - Sales in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in La Jolla, CA

I worked at Madcap Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location, good people outside of management, pay is OK, most employees are friendly and have good attitude even though the work environment isn't the best.

Cons

Are you a sales professional confident in your skills and ready to take it to the next level? Then madcap isn't for you. If you want every deal nit picked and nickel and dimed by management that doesn't add any value and confuses your prospect and lengthens the sales process by obsessing over details that don't matter then you might want to consider this place. Management will micromanage you into submission to do things their way until you fail and then ask why you aren't performing. They are great in the interview process but don't let that fool you. Sales is a nightmare here. The turnover is high and is close to a boiler room situation. Never really worked with the CEO so can't comment there but sales reports directly to him which makes me question the decision making. If you're looking to break into software sales give it a chance but be careful, learn what you can and move on. No training and poor sales leadership will wear you down.

Advice to Management

Re-think sales leadership.

Micromanagement on Steroids!!!

Current Employee - N/A in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - N/A in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at Madcap Software full-time

Pros

Great location with lots of places to eat. Ping Pong table. Great people. Compensation can be good if you're above 100%.

Cons

Where do I start? First of all, the positive reviews that were written on Glassdoor are from management. Management is on your case if you don't respond to an email from the sales folder within minutes. Your monthly quota will probably be around 80-90k but if you receive an email for a $299 training then you better stop what you're doing and make sure you call the customer to avoid getting threatened by management and putting you on plan. Poor sales model with no training. Management offers NO leadership and management just walks around the office thinking the company is doing great because we are located in La Jolla. Management needs to try harder to stay ahead of the curve with the products.

Advice to Management

My advice to senior management is to drop the weight. If the whole team is struggling then maybe its not the people you letting go; you have to look at management. Doing so will keep the great reps from leaving the company.

Great overall experience - Great leadership (specifically the CEO)

Former Employee - Inside Sales Manager in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Manager in La Jolla, CA

I worked at Madcap Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture, and some of the best people I've ever worked with. The CEO has an open door policy and is willing to listen and always is interested in employee feedback . The pay is excellent in comparison to other companies in the industry - this in itself speaks highly of leadership. If you work hard, you are compensated generously; and goals are manageable from a sales perspective. If I didn't need to leave for personal reasons out of my control I would still be there.

Cons

Not much; beautiful location, but can be difficult to get in and out of La Jolla

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! Clearly it's working!

RSS Feed </> Embed