Maddock Douglas

G. Michael Maddock

Incredible work environment.

Former Employee - Media Intern in Elmhurst, IL
    Former Employee - Media Intern in Elmhurst, IL

I worked at Maddock Douglas full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very friendly co-workers. I felt like I was in an environment that really helped nurture my creative side. The company really are full of fantastic innovators.

Cons

Sometimes with the laid back work environment I can forget about what needs to be done. When you make a slip up like that MD will make sure you don't make it again.

Doing a great job, perfect balance between friendly and serious.

Smart people who care

I worked at Maddock Douglas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- While working here (and even after), the people at MD felt like family. I've never had coworkers who cared so much about you personally and professionally. I always looked forward to being there - a true testament to the people and quality of work...and something not a lot of people can say about a job.

- The culture is very laid back and open. Leadership understands the work/life balance and is very flexible to make things work for each employee as needed.

- MD has a learner mentality and is always growing/adapting/changing. It's a great place to be creative and think differently when problem solving.

Cons

- Challenging commute for Chicagoans unless you live near the Metra

- Lean organization (great for learning new skills and shaping your role but can be difficult to get the right help and you get pulled in many directions)

- There has been ambiguity about the direction of the company (as cited by other reviews), but I do believe leadership realizes the need for more clarity and is actively working to improve this. I'm optimistic that this con can become a pro

- Make it a priority to develop and keep younger talent

- Stick to what we know. Given the culture, MD always jumps to help, but we don't always have the right expertise or resources to solve every problem

lots of change; that is consistent

I have been working at Maddock Douglas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pros of working at Maddock Douglas include great people, great culture, lots of learning, great clients, great process, valuable impact

Cons

The cons of working at maddock douglas include: not everyone is as willing to deal with conflict or learn from mistakes

let the delivery team experts do their thing - be more strategic with growing the business

A Place Where Everyone Can Make a Difference

I have been working at Maddock Douglas (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a company that cares deeply about the future, its clients and its people. Years ago you would see the phrase "Ideas from Anywhere" on the web site and walls of MD and this core value is still alive and kicking in this company. The leadership shares challenges, concerns and opportunities with everyone--maybe to a fault--which means the entire organization has a chance to make a difference and create ideas that literally change lives.

If you are wicked smart person that enjoys collaborating and being challenged with hurdles that have large organizations stuck, this may be the place for you. You'll work on everything from financial services to pet products and you'll be trusted with challenges reserved only for the partners at larger consulting firms.

Cons

This is an entrepreneurial company which can mean leadership will try to take on too many internal initiatives at once. The result is that MD is often ahead of market trends and trying to find leadership who can keep up with the changes. If you're agile and ambitious this feels great but if you are more pragmatic it can be frustrating. Recent management improvements may mean a more balanced approach to what's next going forward.

Make sure leaderships remains balanced between the imagineers and the operators. Keep the "ideas from anywhere" culture at the core of MD's future.

I hold all other employers to a higher standard because of MD.

I worked at Maddock Douglas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- My 3 years at Maddock Douglas made a bigger impact on my career than I ever knew at the time. Because of my time there, I continue to nurture my "sense of wonder" daily and treasure it when I see it in others. I've held every job I've worked at since MD to a higher standard because I KNOW what is possible when you build a positive and collaborative environment to work in. I have not found a company since that comes close to the culture of MD.

- The company embraces the philosophy of "fail forward". This doesn't mean that laziness and stupidity are accepted... it means that if you are strategic and whole-hearted in attempting something that's never been done before, Maddock Douglas will support you in it, even if you fail. By doing this, they are supporting you in what may eventually lead to a market-changing solution.

- I truly loved the location of the office in downtown Elmhurst. Good food, spacious parks, coffee shops and public transportation are all within walking distance of the front door. I much preferred having the open air and nearby green space over a city atmosphere.

Cons

While some consider the ever evolving capabilities of Maddock Douglas to be "unfocused", I saw it as an amazing opportunity; because MD is continuously growing and reinventing itself, employees really hold the power to forge their own path. If an individual prefers a stagnant environment where processes and procedures are clearly laid out, then Maddock Douglas probably isn't for them. However, it IS a place for independent thinkers who are willing to ask questions and find solutions. While this fluidity can be confusing at first, it becomes a huge freedom when you realize that you can help mold the future of the company.

Stay true to your core values.
    Continue to break the rules.
    Facilitate strong connections between management and associates.
    Open a location in SW Michigan. :)

I personally worked there for nearly 3 months but am still not sure what this company does.

Former Employee - Creative Associate in Elmhurst, IL
    Former Employee - Creative Associate in Elmhurst, IL

I worked at Maddock Douglas part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Natural light in the front part of the office. Receptionist was helpful.

Cons

They don't seem to know what they are doing. Rank and File seem confused and frustrated.

You all need better upper management. Many of my bosses were never present, and the ones that were didn't talk to me.

Leadership and communication

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elmhurst, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elmhurst, IL

I worked at Maddock Douglas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Small company with some talented people and casual environment. The company has good benefits and some fun functions.

Cons

Leadership lacks focus. The culture appears to be cool but when you pull back the curtain it has a few senior leaders that are bullies with narcissistic behaviors and it's accepted. The business is based on a flexible staffing model so positions tend to be temporary because client lifecycles are short, therefore don't count on staying long. There is little if any accountability for account managers or sales in regards to revenue and company losses affect middle management and the doers which results in high turnover.

Acknowledge the dysfunction of the organization, improve communication and make leadership accountable.

High highs and low lows

I worked at Maddock Douglas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Extremely casual attire and office. Even shorts and sandals are acceptable in the summer.
    - Flexible working hours. They don't care when you work, so long as you get the job done and done well.
    - Close to Elmhurst Metra station and many restaurants and grocery stores. Parking on-site.
    - A lot of what the company is trying to do has yet to be properly defined. This is also a con, but within it are opportunities to contribute meaningfully to the company's future.
    - One year with the company was really good, and two of them were pretty bad. The company was very generous with parties and end of year bonus after the good year, but repeated some previous mistakes for the following year and things went downhill again.

Cons

- Poor location for city dwellers will make it more difficult to attract and keep young talent
    - Compensation for many positions is not commensurate with regional averages, especially given the proximity to Chicago.
    - Extremely top-heavy employee hierarchy. There are many employees at the VP/senior management level and above, but comparatively few associates. The company continues to invest at the top.
    - Many layoffs over the past ~1.5 years have been generally bad for morale.
    - The company mainly works with clients within one vertical (insurance). Not a con to everybody, but if you're looking for a wide variety of clients this might not be the place.
    - MD helps clients change their internal culture to accept innovation but can't apply the same principles to their own culture.
    - Learn from your mistakes.

- Get your house in order and make sure to follow the same guidelines that you preach to your clients.
    - Leadership does not present a unified front. The vision for the future of the company is different depending on who you hear it from and what day of the week it is.
    - Perform a salary audit for all positions, especially those involving technical skill that is difficult to acquire.
    - Figure out what exactly it is you want to be. Just saying you're something doesn't turn you into that thing. You have to do it and do it successfully over an extended period of time.
    - Consider moving downtown.
    - Try to eliminate gatekeeping. The company can be "siloed" and non-collaborative.
    - Invest at the bottom of the ladder too. It's disheartening to see your friends get laid off while more and more VPs and salespeople are getting hired. Big fish aren't the only people who can bring the big ideas. There are too many cooks in the kitchen.

A launch pad for your career!

I have been working at Maddock Douglas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Maddock Douglas is a close knit family atmosphere where you have the ability to learn a ton about research, consumer insights, ideation, marketing, design and change management. If you are a self starter, insanely curious, and want to work hard solving complex business and design problems this is the place for you. This company truly believes in their core values and truly practices running there business in a conscious way.

Cons

The pros definitely outweigh the cons at MD.

It is time to be nimble & quick.

Outstanding values and a family-oriented culture ensure employee comfort

Former Employee - Account Executive in Elmhurst, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Elmhurst, IL

I worked at Maddock Douglas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Was able to effectively bring ideas to senior management that ended up going to clients and being implemented. Always took the mantra of "ideas come from anywhere" seriously.

Cons

A suburban campus is isolated from the vibrance and networking opportunities of downtown Chicago. With so much innovative growth happening in the city it is surprising that the office was so far away and that we were not actively rewarded for spending time in the thick of things.

Consider a move downtown.