Madewell

Updated December 12, 2014
Updated December 12, 2014
3.7

Millard Drexler

Pros
  • Great discount, rather young coworkers who you will form a great bond with (in 20 reviews)

• In addition, all of the people I work with are great people and easy to get along with (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • On-call shifts (won't know if you need to come into work until 2hrs before the shift starts (in 4 reviews)

• People took themselves and their retail job way too seriously (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

I've been working here seasonally for 3+ years and am now a stylist, and it's been a great experience.

Current Employee - Stylist
    Current Employee - Stylist

I have been working at Madewell part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Drama free environment. Everyone gets along well and I've made a lot of friends during my time here.
    -Management is very understanding and helpful.
    -The pay is pretty good for a retail job, and you get great discounts at both J.Crew and Madewell.
    -Scheduling is flexible and management is very accommodating when conflicts arise.
    -There is some potential for growth within the store. I became a stylist after being a sales associate, and a few associates were promoted to management positions during my time here.

Cons

-There aren't many downsides to working here. I've visited other Madewell stores where the employees haven't been as pleasant as the ones in my store, so the level of drama/conflict probably varies from store to store.

The Customer is always Right

Current Employee - Sales Support in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Support in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Madewell part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Drama Free work environment. Corporate needs are easy to fill.

Cons

Extremely low pay for a high quality merchandise store.

Talk to people with more of a caring tone.

Great experience

Former Employee - Web Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Web Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Madewell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really liked the people I worked with, the company culture is good. Work-life balance was great, you rarely stayed later than 6:00. Really great benefits.

Cons

Not a whole lot of room for growth. There was a raise freeze while I was there.

Your individual life stresses really effect the vibe of the day for the rest of the team.

Management needs to get it together

Current Employee - Sales Support Associate in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Support Associate in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Madewell part-time (more than an year)

Pros

discount is great, coworkers are great, clothes,

Cons

managers act like they are still in high school and gossip. befriend you on the floor only to take anything you say and turn it against you. If you do not brown nose than you will not make it at this location

grow up. I know your only goal in life is to work retail management but dont make everyone else so miserable because you are.

Boring

Current Employee - Stylist in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Stylist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Madewell part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The management so far is nice. The co workers are cool. I'm a stylist so I don't have to really do anything but sale .

Cons

No business . No hours. On call is annoying. I was promised 25+ hours but work like 4 hours a week . Can't afford to buy anything even with discount .

Don't promise what you can't deliver.

Not a great place to work.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Madewell part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cool clothes, good discount. It's a job.

Cons

I felt that the staff at the Madewell I worked at, while there were certainly exceptions, were really catty and petty. I felt like the stylists looked down on the sales people and were very condescending, and many of my coworkers were very competitive for little to no reason. People took themselves and their retail job way too seriously. If you did something wrong, the manager wouldn't just tell you, she would say things like, "aw...do you think you're done?" Ridiculous, poisonous environment. They didn't give people the hours they asked for but kept hiring new employees. On a call shifts are a huge pain. I had to quit after a few months, which I've never done at any job before.

Be kind and supportive to your employees. Be honest and up front.

Great Company

Former Employee - Visual Associate
    Former Employee - Visual Associate

I worked at Madewell part-time

Pros

Good pay, easy to move up

Cons

Not enough hours and high turnover

If you love the clothes, you'll love working here

Current Employee - Sales Support
    Current Employee - Sales Support

I have been working at Madewell part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The associate discount alone makes it worth working here if you're an avid Madewell customer. In addition, all of the people I work with are great people and easy to get along with. If you love the clothes, it will feel more like shopping for others and for yourself. They also do a good job of accommodating to your schedule.

Cons

Like any retail job, the pay isn't anything amazing. The hours are definitely sparse, but if you're more focused on the discounts rather than the actual pay, then it's great.

Former Stylist for 3 years

Former Employee - Stylist in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Stylist in Boston, MA

I worked at Madewell part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone was nice and easy to work with - the genuinely care about employees.
    Discount was great.

Cons

Schedule was inconsistent - like any retail job

Associate Store Manager

I worked at Madewell full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Madewell is a beautiful store with beautiful product. You can meet great people and it can be an ideal job for a college student as a part-time employee. The discount is fantastic and you get it at J.Crew!

Cons

I was treated with disregard when it came to my opinion or "version" of the truth. Your higher ups do not care very much about you as you are replaceable in their eyes. It is very sad and unfortunate that your own district managers do not listen to you yet they are the ones who hired you. Just be careful and keep your mouth shut and always have a smile on your face - basically, act like a robot.

Show more care and concern for your employees and especially management - hear them out! Do not jump to conclusions and show that you value their position.