Madison Metropolitan School District

Employment Status

Reset
3.8
Arthur Rainwater

1. The MMSD is a professional and very enjoyable place to work.

Current Employee - AVID Tutor in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - AVID Tutor in Madison, WI

I have been working at Madison Metropolitan School District part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are wonderful--very helpful and dedicated to the students within the district.

Cons

It would be nice to work more hours--I currently work part-time.

2. Classroom Teacher

Former Employee - Classroom Teacher in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Classroom Teacher in Madison, WI

I worked at Madison Metropolitan School District full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Many dedicated staff and a caring community

Cons

District has become ruthless in it's expectations of teachers workload. It's near impossible for a person with a family, particularly a single parent, to have the time to complete the work necessary to stay on top of district changes and expectations, much less meet the needs of the children and parents

Advice to Management

Respect your workforce. Just because Act 10 is law doesn't mean that you don't need your teachers.

3. AVID tutor for one semester. Loved it!

Former Employee - AVID Tutor in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - AVID Tutor in Madison, WI

I worked at Madison Metropolitan School District part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent management, everyone was friendly and welcoming. Extensive training for tutors. Great kids. Program ran smoothly, frequent feedback. I would love to keep working here if the hours were more compatible with a full time job schedule.

Cons

Limited hours, low pay. Most helpful training was conducted halfway through the semester. Would have liked to have this training (behavior management, tips for student feedback) earlier in the semester if not before.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Problem of tutor turnover is difficult to solve since the school day schedule conflicts with regular working hours. If possible, moving second training session closer to the beginning of the semester would help tutors climb the learning curve.

5. Teaching is challenging

Current Employee - Teacher in Madison, WI

Pros

If teaching in elective classes, given a lot of freedom with curriculum Canned courses/curriculum is great for teachers who are switching subjects or are brand new to the profession Options for many professional development opportunities

Cons

Like any school, a lot of work, with little pay Difficult to make changes in a large system Decisions are often made based on outside factors that have little to do with what is best for students A lot of "top-down" administrative tasks State/Federal oversight creates unnecessary and time consuming paperwork A lot of initiatives but with little follow through and relevance to every day teaching/learning experience for either the teacher or students

Advice to Management

Putting the well-being of children should come first- no matter what. Do 1 thing well.

6. Top School District for Teacher Employment in Wisconsin

Former Employee - Teacher in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Teacher in Madison, WI

I worked at Madison Metropolitan School District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Staff development, teacher support through both MTI and the School District are unequalled anywhere in Wisconsin. This is a school district professional educators are proud to call their own.

Cons

Act 10 vs. MTI and concurring transitions could have dampened spirits' however, the MMSD community of teachers showed the public an even more positive and stronger commitment than ever, proving we do what we love--teach and improve the lives of future generations.

Advice to Management

Continue cohesive support for new and returning educators in all schools, especially when faced with exceptionally challenging situations. This is certainly one of our district's strengths!

7. Schools are well run and funded.

I have been working at Madison Metropolitan School District part-time

Pros

Schools are very diverse and teachers are hard working. Most principals are great leaders and run the schools well.

Cons

Some ignorance when dealing with students of color but very open to improving teaching practices. Open technology policy can cause many students to be distracted during school.

8. Part-time tutor at West High School

Current Employee - Title VII Tutor in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Title VII Tutor in Madison, WI

I have been working at Madison Metropolitan School District part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone both in the district and in the high school is friendly. (My job does not need too much contact with the staff but the student. So I don't really have anything to comment on the staff) The pay isn't bad for a college student.

Cons

West High School has a little bit worse (not too bad) infrastructure, compared to my high school in Minnesota.

This position provides good work/life balance and a great opportunity to use language skills after a bachelors degree.

Current Employee - Bilingual Resource Specialist in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Bilingual Resource Specialist in Madison, WI

Pros

If you like working with children, MMSD and Lindbergh school are great places to do it!

Cons

Behavior issues are part of every school. The BRS position sometimes lacks autonomy because you need to work in teachers' classrooms and follow their rules.

10. Good job for short term, am always looking for something better

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher
    Current Employee - Special Education Teacher

Pros

This job has a great deal of job security. I am typically confident I will have a job for the upcoming year. Our benefits are some of the top in the state at this point, and I am thankful for that. In addition, my immediate school has provided me with support and takes my input into consideration when making decisions.

Cons

The hours are incredibly high and the pay is low. Many days I don't take a lunch break, a bathroom break, or have the time to complete anything personal. I work from 7:30 to 5:30 on average, and typically don't stop working the entire time. Although summers are off, many of us have to work in the summer to make ends meet.

Advice to Management

Please support the teachers and recognize how much many of us work. Our duties continue to increase, with numbers of students rising, yet we are not compensated for the extra time and work.

RSS Feed </> Embed