Madison Metropolitan School District

Arthur Rainwater

Top School District for Teacher Employment in Wisconsin

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Teacher in Madison, WI

I worked at Madison Metropolitan School District full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Staff development, teacher support through both MTI and the School District are unequalled anywhere in Wisconsin. This is a school district professional educators are proud to call their own.

Cons

Act 10 vs. MTI and concurring transitions could have dampened spirits' however, the MMSD community of teachers showed the public an even more positive and stronger commitment than ever, proving we do what we love--teach and improve the lives of future generations.

Continue cohesive support for new and returning educators in all schools, especially when faced with exceptionally challenging situations. This is certainly one of our district's strengths!

Schools are well run and funded.

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Teacher in Madison, WI

I have been working at Madison Metropolitan School District part-time

Pros

Schools are very diverse and teachers are hard working. Most principals are great leaders and run the schools well.

Cons

Some ignorance when dealing with students of color but very open to improving teaching practices. Open technology policy can cause many students to be distracted during school.

Part-time tutor at West High School

Current Employee - Title VII Tutor  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Title VII Tutor in Madison, WI

I have been working at Madison Metropolitan School District part-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone both in the district and in the high school is friendly. (My job does not need too much contact with the staff but the student. So I don't really have anything to comment on the staff) The pay isn't bad for a college student.

Cons

West High School has a little bit worse (not too bad) infrastructure, compared to my high school in Minnesota.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This position provides good work/life balance and a great opportunity to use language skills after a bachelors degree.

Current Employee - Bilingual Resource Specialist  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Bilingual Resource Specialist in Madison, WI

I have been working at Madison Metropolitan School District

Pros

If you like working with children, MMSD and Lindbergh school are great places to do it!

Cons

Behavior issues are part of every school. The BRS position sometimes lacks autonomy because you need to work in teachers' classrooms and follow their rules.

Good job for short term, am always looking for something better

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher
    Current Employee - Special Education Teacher

I have been working at Madison Metropolitan School District

Pros

This job has a great deal of job security. I am typically confident I will have a job for the upcoming year. Our benefits are some of the top in the state at this point, and I am thankful for that. In addition, my immediate school has provided me with support and takes my input into consideration when making decisions.

Cons

The hours are incredibly high and the pay is low. Many days I don't take a lunch break, a bathroom break, or have the time to complete anything personal. I work from 7:30 to 5:30 on average, and typically don't stop working the entire time. Although summers are off, many of us have to work in the summer to make ends meet.

Please support the teachers and recognize how much many of us work. Our duties continue to increase, with numbers of students rising, yet we are not compensated for the extra time and work.

Worked for Madison Metropolitan School District? Contribute to the Community!