Madison Square Garden

Be The First To
Add Photos

Madison Square Garden President and CEO Hank J. Ratner

Hank J. Ratner

Pros
  • Great people - everyone is very passionate about their job(in 8 reviews)

• Great environment to learn about sports and entertainment(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a lot of room to grow, within the company(in 3 reviews)

• long hours, sometimes didn't have much to do so sat idely(in 4 reviews)

Student Associate

Student Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsSense of community in an exciting workplace. Many networking opportunities and chances to make friends with other Student Associates (interns)

ConsPay is low but manageable. It is better than an unpaid internship. It is hard living in the city and only making 8.00 an hour less taxes but the experience is so hands on that it makes it all worth it

Great second job

ProsGood place to work if it is your second job. Family like atmosphere.

ConsNot many opportunities for advancement

Young talent need not apply

Marketing (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsLooks good on resume, Sports lovers dream.

ConsConservative "If it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude. Poor compensation. Growth is unusual and is rarely achievement based. People just fall into higher roles because they know people and/or have been there for ages. Student associates have little opportunity for employment after internship. Lots of inexperienced management.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to new talent; they might actually bring the business into the 21st century.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great People, but hard work

Intern (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsYou can easily access the people that will help you career-wise.

ConsEmployees are sometimes under appreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Great place to start a career after college. Then go elsewhere.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Vacation/Sick time, 401K.

ConsLow salary, employees are under-appreciated and disrespected. No room for advancement in most departments. Easy to get "stuck"

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees market value for their position. Take what employees say seriously and use that information to better the company and make processes more efficient. Show employees they are valuable and not pawns.

Fresh out of high school workers, immature and rude supervisors

Food Worker/Cashier (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsPositive guests, tips, discounts, starting pay

ConsCo-workers, supervisors, favoritism when distributing hours and work posts, lack of honesty, lack of maturity

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring little children. Stop babying grown supervisors. Stop picking out your favorite employees.

I was on "investigative layoff" because I allegedly did not ask for ID when serving beer to someone who was of age as a secret shopper. No warning. No anything. Always early and on time. The one decent supervisor of the place had nothing but great things to say about me. Additionally, the stand I was assigned to had another person there who did not receive any kind of punishment just because I was the cashier that night. On top of all of this, MSG failed to report anything to the union. I did not bother because I hated working here in the first place so I saw no point. The union called me 3 MONTHS LATER to inform they did not hear anything about it until that time but said it was too late to do anything. If it had not been too late I would have helped them with their investigation concerning unfair layoffs.

The cashiers/chefs are mainly seniors in high or fresh out of high school. Rude, childish, immature and annoying. Did not know how to speak to the guests with their cursing and slang. I was confused as to how they even got the job.

MSG Review

Manager, Partnership Strategy (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat property, strong teams, heavy demand for MSG properties, New York City.

ConsPoor career advancement opportunity. Management always turning over - have to start from scratch. Salaries are low.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees more. Clearer path for career advancement. Increase salary to market rate when promoting from within.

Internship Review

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou get to go to the games and specials events. There are some cool people in different departments, the speaker series were pretty great.

ConsIn my department at the least wasn't very challenging, this was supposed to be a "highly competitive" internship but instead you're doing manual labor throughout the day and nothing to help you understand the way the department functions and works jointly with others. Many of us interns went to prestigious universities and were in Masters programs and majority of the time we were doing work that a sophomore in High School could complete.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally make the internship competitive and only available for departments that are actually growing not just for use as a temporary worker that you can pay minimum wage. Even Walmart employees without college educations make more than $7.25/Hour.

Also develop a rotational internship program that way we get more exposure to different departments and functions of the company, also it provides an opportunity to network.

Non-stop work

Senior Staff Accountant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsAccess to tickets to sold out events

ConsPoor technology/accounting systems, horrible hours, zero appreciation for your work, crappy bonuses

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better and the good ones might stick around.

Fast, crazy, learned a lot

Marketing (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsDiversity and opportunity to touch multiple departments and work.

ConsLarge company, hard to navigate. Takes some time to get the hang of who you need to go to for what you need.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a career pathing program for employees.

Worked for Madison Square Garden? Contribute to the Community!