Madison Square Garden

Updated December 18, 2014
3.4

Madison Square Garden President and CEO Hank J. Ratner
Hank J. Ratner

Pros
  • Great people - everyone is very passionate about their job (in 9 reviews)

• Great environment to learn about sports and entertainment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours but that is is sports (in 6 reviews)

• Low pay - need to bump the pay rate (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Not Great

Former Employee - Student Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Student Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Madison Square Garden as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Discount on MSG stuff. Looks good on resume.

Cons

Worked for one of the teams during the offseason, and there was absolutely nothing to do. No immediate supervisor, so there was no one to ask questions and we were in the office space completely alone. Didn't train us and then got mad when we didn't understand certain things. No networking, no connections, no culture. Didn't learn any skills at all, no one made an effort to include us. It sounds like this may have just been our department though and other interns had more luck.

Appreciate your interns and put some effort into giving them skills they can use- letting them participate more, etc.

Student Associate

Current Employee - Student Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Student Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Madison Square Garden as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Sense of community in an exciting workplace. Many networking opportunities and chances to make friends with other Student Associates (interns)

Cons

Pay is low but manageable. It is better than an unpaid internship. It is hard living in the city and only making 8.00 an hour less taxes but the experience is so hands on that it makes it all worth it

Great second job

I have been working at Madison Square Garden part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to work if it is your second job. Family like atmosphere.

Cons

Not many opportunities for advancement

Young talent need not apply

Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at Madison Square Garden as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Looks good on resume, Sports lovers dream.

Cons

Conservative "If it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude. Poor compensation. Growth is unusual and is rarely achievement based. People just fall into higher roles because they know people and/or have been there for ages. Student associates have little opportunity for employment after internship. Lots of inexperienced management.

Listen to new talent; they might actually bring the business into the 21st century.

Great People, but hard work

Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Madison Square Garden as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You can easily access the people that will help you career-wise.

Cons

Employees are sometimes under appreciated.

N/A

Great place to start a career after college. Then go elsewhere.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Madison Square Garden full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Vacation/Sick time, 401K.

Cons

Low salary, employees are under-appreciated and disrespected. No room for advancement in most departments. Easy to get "stuck"

Pay employees market value for their position. Take what employees say seriously and use that information to better the company and make processes more efficient. Show employees they are valuable and not pawns.

Fresh out of high school workers, immature and rude supervisors

Former Employee - Food Worker/Cashier in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Food Worker/Cashier in New York, NY

I worked at Madison Square Garden part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Positive guests, tips, discounts, starting pay

Cons

Co-workers, supervisors, favoritism when distributing hours and work posts, lack of honesty, lack of maturity

Stop hiring little children. Stop babying grown supervisors. Stop picking out your favorite employees.

I was on "investigative layoff" because I allegedly did not ask for ID when serving beer to someone who was of age as a secret shopper. No warning. No anything. Always early and on time. The one decent supervisor of the place had nothing but great things to say about me. Additionally, the stand I was assigned to had another person there who did not receive any kind of punishment just because I was the cashier that night. On top of all of this, MSG failed to report anything to the union. I did not bother because I hated working here in the first place so I saw no point. The union called me 3 MONTHS LATER to inform they did not hear anything about it until that time but said it was too late to do anything. If it had not been too late I would have helped them with their investigation concerning unfair layoffs.

The cashiers/chefs are mainly seniors in high or fresh out of high school. Rude, childish, immature and annoying. Did not know how to speak to the guests with their cursing and slang. I was confused as to how they even got the job.

MSG Review

Former Employee - Manager, Partnership Strategy in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager, Partnership Strategy in New York, NY

I worked at Madison Square Garden full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great property, strong teams, heavy demand for MSG properties, New York City.

Cons

Poor career advancement opportunity. Management always turning over - have to start from scratch. Salaries are low.

Pay your employees more. Clearer path for career advancement. Increase salary to market rate when promoting from within.

Internship Review

I worked at Madison Square Garden as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You get to go to the games and specials events. There are some cool people in different departments, the speaker series were pretty great.

Cons

In my department at the least wasn't very challenging, this was supposed to be a "highly competitive" internship but instead you're doing manual labor throughout the day and nothing to help you understand the way the department functions and works jointly with others. Many of us interns went to prestigious universities and were in Masters programs and majority of the time we were doing work that a sophomore in High School could complete.

Really make the internship competitive and only available for departments that are actually growing not just for use as a temporary worker that you can pay minimum wage. Even Walmart employees without college educations make more than $7.25/Hour.

Also develop a rotational internship program that way we get more exposure to different departments and functions of the company, also it provides an opportunity to network.

Non-stop work

Former Employee - Senior Staff Accountant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Accountant in New York, NY

I worked at Madison Square Garden full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Access to tickets to sold out events

Cons

Poor technology/accounting systems, horrible hours, zero appreciation for your work, crappy bonuses

Treat your employees better and the good ones might stick around.