Madison Street Capital

Add Photos

Charles Botchway

Tough Work but Good Exposure

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsWill give anyone an opportunity despite background.
    Get exposure to the industry
    Would be a good internship but maybe not full time position.
    I heard they have changed their structuring over the last year so that could be a plus
    Everyone is pretty outgoing

ConsYou will have to prove yourself to stay hired and the work is very daunting with very little pay.

Waste of time.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHonestly I can't recall any benefits of working for Madison St. I'm don't even list Madison St. on my resume.

ConsPoor senior management, little opportunity to make real money. Very suspect in its dealings. Lots of cold calling (as an intern).

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some integrity

Positive and challenging working environment in line with top tier investment banks

Research Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsChallenging work load that pushes you to succeed.
    Great management that makes you work hard to get results.
    Deals are getting completed in a voided space within the middle market.

ConsSometimes long hours are required. But, within investment banking, that is normal.
    Compared to other investment banks, hours are much less demanding.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing - it works

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible Company - Management could care less

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsOnly pro was that it helped me realize what company I would never want to work for.

ConsUpper management only cares about themselves. They don't have any value in their employees and could care less what happens to you. Don't ever expect a raise. Very shady and secretive. Management never tells the truth to employees and will just lay you off out of no where with no explanation. The service they "provide and sell" is a bogus and unethical.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some value in your employees - maybe that's why your failing!

Hard to Succeed

Research Analyst (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsManagement is helpful and wants you to have success.

ConsThe 'contacts' and 'leads' they have for companies are not helpful. Your job is too cold-call 200-300 businesses a day and see if any of them are looking for financing or to sell. It's like finding a needle in a haystack.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more clearly defined and reachable daily/weekly sales goals.

OK

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsHelping business owners is rewarding work. The diversity of types of businesses, along with the broad range of revenues makes for days that are never boring.

ConsMore often than not, the message from top leadership to everyone else becomes jumbled. This can be messages regarding timing of meetings, current state of the company, direction of growth, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management is competent enough. Some members of the team need some leadership training...I might suggest "Crucial Communications". I don't know the author of this study.

Great Name..Not Real Deal Makers Though

Research Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe Availability of Management
    Some periodic cash Bonuses and spiffs,
    Some really talented Mid-Management that keeps the business strong
    Great Training at every level

ConsFeasibility of Business model
    Company has a very, very low deal closing rate
    Customer consideration
    Base and commision percentage is low

Advice to Senior ManagementDeal closing percentage should be a selling point not a secret. Try to become a true Invesment Bank. Remember that being customer driven is more than just lip service.

Formerly Houlihan Smith. Now it's Madison Street Capital

Pros"Entrepreneurial" and significant autonomy at the low- to mid-level since senior management does not take a strong role in deals; some voluntary access to investment banking training IF you are in the right group.

ConsSenior management has ZERO M&A/financing experience from reputable investment banks so you learn nothing from those above you. Any worthwhile skills you acquire come from some outsourced investment banking training programs for which the firm will reimburse you, and from taking a senior role in deals that were forced through the business development group. Top management (purely sales backgrounds) is "ethically challenged" in a BIG way. A very select few at the very top make good money but at the expense of everyone below them and at the expense of clients' welfare. Bonus potential is not anywhere near where they say it is, and the base salary is very very low, if present at all. The culture is "toxic" due to these factors and more. They have/had some talented mid-level employees but even those have been/are leaving the past couple years.

Advice to Senior ManagementHandle your clients ethically and pay your employees fairly instead of hiding the bad reviews/complaints/lawsuits. You have a unique business model that could be effective, but instead you go for the quick buck and the low-hanging fruit.

Worked for Madison Street Capital? Contribute to the Community!