Maersk Group

Maersk Group Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Maersk Group Group CEO and Partner Nils Smedegaard Andersen

Nils Smedegaard Andersen

Pros:
  • "Excellent flexibility, work-life balance, good global opportunities"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Good training program with lots of opportunities to work abroad"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "high attrition rate, lots of politics, leader with poor leadership qualities, office not spacious, work space not so clean"
    in 3 reviews
  • "not good at all for mid/senior management roles"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work, great benefits

Customer Service (Current Employee)
Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Maersk Group

ProsGreat benefits, paid vacation, many opportunities for advancement if you have the will and drive. . . . . .

ConsSuch a huge company that it can be hard to get noticed. Sometimes the work atmosphere can feel unneccesarily stuffy, could find ways to make work more fun

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better feedback to employees about how their performing. Don't be scared to let underperformers go. Be more scrutinizing in the interview process

Great

Ajo, AZ

I have been working at Maersk Group

Prosgreat hr, people are great compensation are great just an overall great company, the work is challenging.

Conswant to know more where the company is headed and get more insight from top brass.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust inform employees more about the where the company is headed because it will motivate employees a lot more once we know the direction.

Good company to work for could change for the worst.

Director (Current Employee)
Madison, NJ

I have been working at Maersk Group

ProsAs the US part of a large international company, there are (some) opportunities for people who have some ambition to get great experience for their careers. These opportunities have been reduced not so long ago, but they are still there.

Most of the people here are also very good and pleasant to work with. There is a lot of tradition and people are proud of that, and it is great to be part of a team with that sort of pride.

Also, the company tries to be decent to its employees. The culture is changing (see below), but people are still treated well and respectfully. The company is doing more layoffs than in the past, but it does try not to cut people just to improve profit in the short run.

ConsThe culture has become less friendly in recent years, with there being more layoffs and less on voluntary solutions. There was a big plan earlier this year (2008) to get people to leave voluntarily, but still a lot of people had to be laid off and more could be laid off soon.

It is hard to get change in this company. There are traditions, which are good, but when change needs to be made, the traditions can be a roadblock to making the changes. People with good ideas can get ignored if the ideas are too "out there" for management.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hide on the third floor. Get out and meet with the little people more. What are we, chopped liver? We also need the Town Hall meetings again. No one knows what is going on right now, and it would be nice to have some words from management on that.

This ship's in troubled waters...

Analyst (Former Employee)
Madison, NJ

I worked at Maersk Group

ProsCompany has a decent Medical Dental Plan and a beautiful work location in a park like setting. In addition they support the mass transit initiative by contributing up to $105 monthly to employers who use public transportation in lieu of driving a car. They also provide a van to pick up employees at the train station and drive them to the office daily.

ConsLack of foresight at senior management level led company to acquire a competitor in 2006 only to lose $600 million in the following year due to downturn in customer shipping trends. This necessitated significant down-sizing and loss of company morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse better forecasting tools, data modeling.

Good to work in a multinational and diversified environment

HRIS Analyst (Former Employee)
Lagos (Nigeria)

I worked at Maersk Group as a contractor for more than a year

ProsGood employer employee relationship culture

ConsEmployee might be placed on contract job fore up to two years

Lot of learning opportunity

I have been working at Maersk Group

ProsBeing #1 in the market and a complete shipping line, there is lot of room for learning (vessel operation/equipment operation/capacity/marketing/sales/customer service/forwarder/clearing agent,, all under one roof)!! Lots of opportunities to work internationally and diversity in the work force. Friendly for foreign nationals!

ConsAverage payer, promotion/increment/recruitment depends lot on local management, like all other shipping lines Maersk also struggles to provide work/life balance to its employees..

Advice to Senior ManagementInternal recruitment should be neutral.

World's best work culture

Senior Officer (Former Employee)
Chennai (India)

I worked at Maersk Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFreedom, Discipline, Place to learn, 8 hours, International exposure since it covers 170 nations.
Working in Maersk is a awesome experience. If you get a chance to work in Singapore, Malaysia, Denmark then u goanna have a rock..

ConsYou need to know about all the countries culture, rotation shift, you need be good in decision making.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn india again same politics . If they can overcome that then no issues

good

Senior Associate (Current Employee)
Pune (India)

I have been working at Maersk Group full-time for more than 3 years

Prosits a good company...you have lot to learn about shipping and logistics

Consthere are rotational shifts and not planned well so that could be hectic for your health

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is good. Comensation you are getting would be not sufficient

Analyst

I have been working at Maersk Group

ProsGood work culture, no overtime

Conslate promotions, lack of aggretion

Just fine

Financial Controller (Current Employee)
Manila, Manila (Philippines)

I have been working at Maersk Group full-time for more than a year

ProsLeadership training, travel during migration

Consflat organization and not competitive salary and benefits

Advice to Senior Managementleverage top performer employee

Worked for Maersk Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Maersk Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Maersk Group CEO Nils Smedegaard Andersen. All 102 reviews posted anonymously by Maersk Group employees.