Magellan Health

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Barry Smith

Pros:
  • "Work from home opportunties are good"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Good work/life balance, a sustainable work pace (ie not overly fast paced), good people, good training, good benefits (besides salary)"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Llack of management skils in middle management leeads to low employee morale in some departments"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Call center environment, still better then most"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work...

ProsVery flexible on hours and salary is above average.

Conshours are flexible but be prepared to work a lot of them and drop everything for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people.

Good experience overall

Health Associate (Former Employee)
    Columbia, MD

ProsBenefits, good people all around, good management

Conscorporate layoffs and not tremendous growth opportunity

Good Company

Claims Specialist II (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsAlways looking for and winning new business.

ConsI really have not found any cins

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging environment with opportunities for advancement for dedicated employees

Management (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsExcellent PTO and benefits, challenging environment, great colleagues. Company has a good strategy for growth if they can execute it. Has lots of capital available for strategic purchases to support growth initiativies.

ConsVery tight budgets with too frequent layoffs. IT backbone (I-Series) is dated and company is hesitant to risk a replacement and prefers to patch it rather than fix it.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to move employees around company without showing talented associates the door. Senior management is getting too top heavy again and that impacts the company's ability to hire staff to actually service the customer contracts. Seriously consider new Clinical/Network/Claims system to bring company into the 21st century. If that is done well, desired staff reductions (reduced admin costs) could occur without business impact, in fact, service should improve. Spend some of the available cash to fund this!

care manager sr

Care Manager Senior (Current Employee)
    Alpharetta, GA

Prosgood salary, good benefits, paid time off

Consrepetative nature of the job, boredom, and seems like company is very TOP HEAVY. Seems unreal that Renee Lerer got 4.2 million cash reward right before Magellan loses 20% of our overall business (Arizona contract)

Advice to Senior Managementlay off the big bonuses. Share the wealth! I got a meesley 2.91% raise. That won't even cover Obama's taxes on my pay.

Early years great, bankruptcy and restructure resulted in management mess

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
    Columbia, MD

ProsManagement in the first few years was great; balanced workload, pleasant team members, satisfactory salary, work-life balance great. Never expected to work extra hours without notice - usually a month's notice before large projects were due.

ConsAfter bankruptcy in 2003, slew of middle management laid off and I was ricocheted around from group to group with no clear direction in my career path or expectations for my position.

Nothing negative to say..

Organization Service Specialist (Current Employee)
    Maryland Heights, MO

ProsI truly enjoyed working for Magellan overall it is a good company

ConsOnly Con I can think of is that tha raises are not much.

Worst Company to Work for-- Just say no

MFLC (Current Employee)
    Carolina, NC

ProsThis company has nothing that is good about it. They lie to their employees, they cut your pay for no reason other than the share holders need more money. Nothing good about this company.

ConsThey cut your pay for no reason, they give you no paid time off, you can never get a raise, you have no vacation, no sick days, absolutley no benefits. They call you, tell you have 48 hours to accept all their pay cuts or you will be replaced. The hire you, give you a contract, then break the contract so they can hire someone else that they can pay less money so that their shareholders can get more of the governement contract money they receive from the MFLC program. This company needs to be audited. Has to be one of the worst companies I have ever worked for other than Health Net. They do not care what type of workers they have, it is a horrible horrible company. I would never recommended ANYONE work there.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry thinking about someone other than yourself.

Nebraska CMC - Not for the Ethical professional

Leadership (Former Employee)
    Lincoln, NE

ProsWonderful Co-workers - In the past was very team oriented and goal oriented.

ConsLocal upper Management is unethical at best.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake out the trash in Nebraska - Start at the top and work your way down. Corporate office was made aware of the stuff happening at this CMC and did nothing.... Lip Service at it's finest.

This used to be an awesome, highly productive CMC, now it's shameful.

Great Company

Care Manager (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsAbility to work from home, management strong leadership ability and skills, focused on job processes, supportive teams

ConsI have no concerns to share. This is a very good company

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement strives for excellence and it shows in the work they do.

Worked for Magellan Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Magellan Health reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Magellan Health CEO Barry Smith. All 89 reviews posted anonymously by Magellan Health employees.