Magellan Health Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
Barry Smith

Pros
  • Work from home opportunties are good (in 15 reviews)

• They encourage work-life balance, caring for each other, and delivering great customer service (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Local upper Management is unethical at best (in 4 reviews)

• Call center environment, still better then most (in 3 reviews)

1. Client Support Specialist

I have been working at Magellan Health (Less than a year)

Pros

Smaller Teams to work with.

Cons

Could use more up to date systems to make things less manual.

2. Director Network Management

Current Employee - Director Network in West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Director Network in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Magellan Health (More than 10 years)

Pros

For the past 20 years we have managed the behavioral health services and integration of physical health for our members. The team is passionate about our members and through outcome measures, incent our providers to give the best care possible.

Cons

We were not awarded one of the winning bids for Iowa Medicaid Modernization

3. OK place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Good technology to support virtual workers. The company makes an effort to communicate will all staff about updates, new sales, and general information.

Cons

Salary was not comparable to ranges in other companies; some in leadership positions may have been effective in strategy but lacked people management skills. As an example, I once spent 3 weeks trying to contact my boss--email, phone calls, IMs--with no response. Other members of my team had similar experiences, but this individual is now in an even larger leadership role.

Advice to Management

I heard lots of complaints about some of the leaders--hopefully this showed up in the surveys. Much of the focus seemed to be on expanding the products, but the legacy programs were not efficient.

5. Magellan Health is ok

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst

Pros

Time off is awesome. Most department supervisors are incredibly flexible. The key is to be productive.

Cons

systems are dated; I.T. is unwilling to work with the business; salary is below industry average

Advice to Management

to get more competitive, you need to be more innovative. To do that, you need to get I.T. to collaborate with the Business side more.

6. Care Manager II

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Magellan Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Definitely my coworkers!! We were an extremely close-knit group (in the main) for approx. 18 years. However, the office is now closed.

Cons

The situation was complex, and not necessarily avoidable due to a business relationship with another Michigan company, who called all the shots.

Advice to Management

The majority of management was great, and made the best decisions possible, in light of varying and unexpected challenges. I cannot think of any meaningful advice that would be helpful or relevant.

7. Working for Magellan Health

Former Employee - Case Manager
    Former Employee - Case Manager

Pros

This company actually SHOWS they care for their employees. Doesn't just say it, but has the actions to back it up.

Cons

Can not think of any Cons.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Employees need to feel the words of appreciation are real.

8. Better than most but an unstable company

Current Employee - Care Manager
    Current Employee - Care Manager

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

work from home opportunities, workload is easy to manage, for the most part good benefits, supportive colleagues, interesting job, independence

Cons

Middle and Upper Management don't seem to have a clue. Often never get any response to questions or concerns. No guidance and questionable business decisions. Spending time and money implementing new computer programs that don't work as well as the old one's and then aren't even giving staff proper training on how to use them. Company has a bonus program but it seems that the criteria for qualifying changes all the time as does it seem many company policies do. Impossible to get reimbursed for CEUs and licensure. All of this is annoying but not that important compared to the bigger picture of Magellan continuing to lose contracts and thus putting more and more people out of jobs while not being forthcoming about it.

Advice to Management

Upper Management: get your act together and focus on what needs to be done to keep this company afloat and be honest to employees about their job security. Stop focusing on new computer software and marketing materials while the company foundation is rotting away. Middle Management: be accountable to those you supervise, offer support and be responsive to their needs. Since the bonuses are the only reward we get for good work: make sure we get them sometimes and don't set the criteria so that they are unattainable.

9. UM

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, time off, flexibility for telecommuting. Supportive manager.

Cons

Salary is not equal to other companies for same job. Too low.

Advice to Management

More training time and increase salaries to equal other companies. Communication is key to training.

10. Overall good company

Pros

Provides great opportunity for career advancement. They provide an excellent benefit package and competitive salaries.

Cons

Some levels of management appear uncaring and not honest.

Advice to Management

Assess your leaders to determine if they really fit the bill to obtain and encourage the best from their staff. Encourage your senior leaders to be honest.

11. Very Stressful

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Blue Ash, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Blue Ash, OH

I worked at Magellan Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, great benefits package, hours of operation was nice, awesome cubical space. Training program was also very good.

Cons

The business of insurance is ever changing, so one thing I didn't like was how often processes of daily business changed often. Made it very hard to become an expert on your job because of all the new or changing processes you would receive. I also believe that the process in which a crisis call is handled should change and become more efficient.

Advice to Management

I would advise that management take more advise of how the processes could be better effective by the staff that does the job every day. The customer service representatives/counselors are the first voice the client meets. It starts with cs agent. Keep them happy, you have a very successful customer base.

RSS Feed </> Embed