Magellan Health

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Barry Smith

Pros:
  • "Work from home opportunties are good"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Good work/life balance, a sustainable work pace (ie not overly fast paced), good people, good training, good benefits (besides salary)"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Llack of management skils in middle management leeads to low employee morale in some departments"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Call center environment, still better then most"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A great place to work especially on the wide array of project management changes that can be done.

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Richmond, VA

ProsGreat work life balance. Extra hours tend to be during major project deliverable s. Salary is at par with industry standards

ConsSometimes the convenient way becomes the main mantra in meeting project deliverable s. Training in the technology segment would be great. Reliance on contractors to complete project cuts of FTE's from the major deliverable s.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere need to be more advancement for leadership opportunities. Expansion into other health care segments should be inclusive of FTE's who are also Subject Matter Experts on the systems in place.

CYB MFLC

CYB MFLC (Current Employee)
    Virginia Beach, VA

ProsFlexible schedule and not micro managed. Good pay and great benefits.

ConsNo raises and everyone starts at the same pay regardless of experience or time with company. Disorganized when handling assignments whether in the US or Overseas.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer salary variations and give raises to returning MFLC's. Consider loan repayment options for your LPC, and LCSW's. Try offering bonuses or incentives.

Dependable company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

Prosdependable, good benefits, decent pay

Consnot a lot of opportunity for advancement in Phoenix, AZ and conducted lay offs

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall, had very positive experiences

EAP Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsThe company has multiple divisions and the experience I had in my division was quite positive.

ConsMagellan's silos are on different planets and one has no concept what is really going on in the other silo.Overall, the benefits were okay but not the best.

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak down the silos and work on keeping talent management.

Good for Awhile Then Poor Work Atmosphere

Senior Care Manager (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsDecent salary and pleasant co--workers

Consunreasonable workload; toxic supervisors; work environment is not supportive

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees better

Clinical Social Worker, Care management, MH intake and concurrent reviews

Senior Care Manager (Current Employee)
    Parsippany, NJ

Prossalary and benefits are better than average in this area...

Consthe company seems to want to shed the MH MCO business and is scrimping on hiring and especially in supporting current staff

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to sell off the MCO MH piece, be upfront with staff instead of letting us suffer in silence in wondering about our future with the company....it appears that you want us gone... we are the backbone that you built the corporation on...

Overall, a decent experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood work/life balance, a sustainable work pace (ie not overly fast paced), good people, good training, good benefits (besides salary)

ConsPoor compensation, a fair amount of the coworkers were not the most intellectually stimulating, no money was put into the building itself, unsure of the company's outlook long term

Advice to Senior ManagementI think management did a decent job taking care of the staff and making sure they were happy, but the whole company did not seem very focused on trying to achieve goals.

Nice place to work for, employer motivation is unity.

PA Assistance Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Harrisburg, PA

ProsI like the benefits, and how supervisor work with you, also like the monthly meetings so that everyone can be on the same pages.

ConsNo overtime, I do not have this in my department, and the fact that you get paid Semi Monthly.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo fight for higher raises for your employees who work so hard to make things happen.

My favorite job/employer to date.

Learning Specialist (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsFlexible work schedule in my department. Transparent leadership. Positive outlook.

ConsContractual constraints on length of job stay in many markets.

A journey from relunctancy to acceptance to full fledge support.

Phoenix, AZ

ProsLeadership improved as the years went on. For the most part, the company kept us informed of everything & was proactive in helping people with doing their job.

ConsPreconceived notions of how to supervise led to conflict of procedures which became a major stumbling block in doing the job as learned by my past. Eventually this problem wrote itself off and the last half of my career time with this company had many cohesive moments between me and my supervisor.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your employees aware of everything that comes down the "pike" that can affect them in the near future.

Worked for Magellan Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Magellan Health reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Magellan Health CEO Barry Smith. All 89 reviews posted anonymously by Magellan Health employees.