Magellan Health

Updated Apr 4, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Barry Smith

Pros:
  • "Work from home opportunties are good"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Work/life balance was the biggest advantage"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Llack of management skils in middle management leeads to low employee morale in some departments"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Communication appears to digress when directives are pushed down from upper management"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Magellan Health

ProsFlexible and offers good salary

ConsNone that I can think of

EAP consultant

EAP Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time for more than a year

ProsProfessional and supportive staff, excellent training

ConsToo much administrative responsibilities and paperwork

A great place to work

Senior Care Manager (Current Employee)
Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time for more than a year

Prosgreat incentives and bonuses, very approachable supervisors and an overall highly ethical community.

Conssomewhat monotonous work, having to wear a headset all day

Great Company

Care Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAbility to work from home, management strong leadership ability and skills, focused on job processes, supportive teams

ConsI have no concerns to share. This is a very good company

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement strives for excellence and it shows in the work they do.

Positive, customer service oriented

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Magellan Health

ProsColleagues care about providing quality services. Benefits package, including time off better then many other local companies. Commitment made to creating positive work environment.

ConsDownside-recent changes leave staff feeling overworked and stretched thin. Not enough employees to continue to be able to provide high level of customer service.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to ask employees for ideas and feedback. Try to understand which programs aren't working and why-and accomplish this as quickly ad possible.

Great Place to Work

EDI Systems Analyst (Current Employee)
Maryland Heights, MO

I have been working at Magellan Health

ProsMagellan is a great Place to work. They are very flexible when it comes to balancing work and home life. The pay is great. Depending on the department you are in you have the ability to work from home when necessary. Upper management at least in EDI expects you to be a super star. They want the best of the best, which gives you a goal to work towards.

ConsTraining is not the greatest. They pretty much expect you to already know your job when they hire you. People tend to hord information. I guess in fear of you taking their job.

Advice to Senior ManagementBreath ... we are all working very hard to meet the companies goals.

an awesome place to work

Senior Care Manager (Current Employee)
Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Magellan Health

Prosgreat place for an experienced clinical social worker, opportunites for advancement, opportunities to change contracts and job positions when employee is ready for a change. growing work from home program is great for staff who have long commutes. for the licensed clinical social worker, you can look forward to an 8-5pm job, no on call or after hours work and the ability to leave your job and go home without stressing over undone work or high risk clients. you do your job, and at the end of the day, there are no loose ends. senior leadership is very experienced, very bright, and are excellent at networking and building relationships within the local community from state to state. magellan is very concerned about employee health and offer programs to help employees achieve better health. social committee keeps the office busy with employee events to boost morale. very professional environment where customer service is taken very a priority. magellan will go to any length to make a customer happy.

Conssitting at a computer for (8) hours a day.

Advice to Senior Managementemployees like to be heard and over the years, i have watched magellan make efforts and gains in providing employees with opportunities to provide feedback anonymously. please continue listen to your employees particulary around middle management issues. also, new clinical staff need close monitoring for first (6) months especially around customer service and making every effort to make the member and customer happy.

Good company that needs to spend money on technology upgrades

Networks (Former Employee)

I worked at Magellan Health full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTheir HR and employee benefits, are really good and they follow through on their commitments to bonuses, etc.. Culture depends on the direct manager your work for--overall, I really enjoyed my time there, after the transition was over (took about a year).

ConsNeed to upgrade technologies to provide tools that are more user friendly and searchable.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou must spend to grow.

Learning about health care and the importance of the right provider for the patient as well as for the family.

Support Specialist I (Former Employee)
Parsippany, NJ

I worked at Magellan Health full-time for more than 5 years

ProsTeamwork is very important as well as learning more of the services the company provided and the opportunity to learn more in order to advance within the company.

ConsLoud noises sometimes acquired by co-workers not realizing they were in a restricted area; poor apparel for a professional environment and of course the day I left the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGetting much closer to the employees. Understanding their needs when they have family they have to take care of especially single parents.

Nice place to work

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time for more than 5 years

ProsA nice place to work. They allow some work at home opportunities. Most people are very nice and ethical. They pay well.

ConsCall center environment, still better then most. They close down main break room for big meetings, inconvenient for those that use it.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind more ways to help motivate and lift morale.

Worked for Magellan Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Magellan Health reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Magellan Health CEO Barry Smith. All 75 reviews posted anonymously by Magellan Health employees.