Magellan Health

Updated October 9, 2014
Updated October 9, 2014
3.5

Barry Smith

Pros
  • Work from home opportunties are good (in 15 reviews)

• They encourage work-life balance, caring for each other, and delivering great customer service (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Llack of management skils in middle management leeads to low employee morale in some departments (in 5 reviews)

• discrimination with some work benefits from upper management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice place to work for, employer motivation is unity.

Current Employee - PA Assistance Coordinator in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - PA Assistance Coordinator in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I like the benefits, and how supervisor work with you, also like the monthly meetings so that everyone can be on the same pages.

Cons

No overtime, I do not have this in my department, and the fact that you get paid Semi Monthly.

To fight for higher raises for your employees who work so hard to make things happen.

My favorite job/employer to date.

Current Employee - Learning Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Learning Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule in my department. Transparent leadership. Positive outlook.

Cons

Contractual constraints on length of job stay in many markets.

Overall, a decent experience

I worked at Magellan Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good work/life balance, a sustainable work pace (ie not overly fast paced), good people, good training, good benefits (besides salary)

Cons

Poor compensation, a fair amount of the coworkers were not the most intellectually stimulating, no money was put into the building itself, unsure of the company's outlook long term

I think management did a decent job taking care of the staff and making sure they were happy, but the whole company did not seem very focused on trying to achieve goals.

Unethical

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at Magellan Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent PTO, flexible hours, friendly front line staff.

Cons

Decisions are based on the cost to the company not what is in the best interest of the member. I would have to say that senior and middle leadership are clueless to what really goes on in the company because if they are aware of the unethical behavior that continues then shame on them. DOBI should shut them down but wait..Horizon already took care of that.
    There is an overall lack of communication or any type of consideration given to their employees. No life/work balance.
    Advancement opportunities only exist if you are with the "in crowd".

In trying to get ahead you are stepping on people to get to the top. Remember those people because you will pass them again on your way down!
    Think of the impact your decisions have on these innocent members instead of the impact on your bottom dollar.

Very strict on timeliness, compensation is good, the PTO given annually is great, and management does not micromanage.

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Maryland Heights, MO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Maryland Heights, MO

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay
    Good benefits
    If you work hard you can grow with the company

Cons

If you want to be patted on the back all the time and like to be micro managed this is not the place for you.
    Also favoritism comes into play but that is true for most of Corporate America. Three people in my department received compliments from customers that management did not acknowledge though most managers at the company make a big deal out of that. It is a call center so it can get loud at times and the environment can seem unprofessional depending on where you work and what the side bar conversations are.

Dysfunctional

Former Employee - Sales Support in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Support in Columbia, MD

I worked at Magellan Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ability to work from home. Interesting work.

Cons

Dysfunctional management. Leader hired friends who had no professional backgrounds. Passed blame down the line. High turnover. Changing priorities and no sense of direction.

Listen to those who have the experience in the areas that you do not. They actually may have good ideas.

Great place to work

I worked at Magellan Health

Pros

Flexible and offers good salary

Cons

None that I can think of

Good company that needs to spend money on technology upgrades

Former Employee - Networks in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Networks in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Magellan Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Their HR and employee benefits, are really good and they follow through on their commitments to bonuses, etc.. Culture depends on the direct manager your work for--overall, I really enjoyed my time there, after the transition was over (took about a year).

Cons

Need to upgrade technologies to provide tools that are more user friendly and searchable.

You must spend to grow.

High intensity, lot of changes

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Mature company, fairly stable but a lot of changing right now. PTO is reasonable, remote working conditions are good, flexible work hours, trying to be a progressive, growing company.

Cons

Promotions are limited, raises and salaries are weak unless you're a new hire or senior leader. They rotate through a lot of outside senior management which is very disruptive. Pretty intense work environment and it seems to get only more demanding. The market is changing and Magellan is trying to change, but it seems like they have a long way to go. It's a top down environment and they are not much in tune with the work at mid and ground level. Antiquated systems. Poorly organized. Behind the times.

Stop the revolving flow of senior leaders that don't know the business and reduce the number overall. Need more workers and less senior managers. Learn from mid and ground level staff and those that have been in and ignored for years. Don't be punitive when you hear things you don't like. Ask and be willing to really listen and act without retribution. Reduce the stress and intensity. Bring in more front-line staff to support all the new initiatives. Don't try to do everything and say yes to everyone and customize everything. Being flexible actually results in more limitations for scalability and being nimble. Figure out what you're good at or what you want to be good at and focus. Trying to do too much at once is pushing the business to the edge.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Benefit Configuration Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Benefit Configuration Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

PTO and benefits are good. Very flexible on working hours and working from home. There is room for advancement within the company.

Cons

Salary seems to be lower than current standards. Often see new hires with less exprience being brought in at a high pay level. I have work here for 13 years and raises are not great.

Middle management needs to be more skilled in their job. There is a lot of problems with communications with in departments and much time and resources are wasted.

Magellan Health Photos