Magenic Technologies

Magenic Technologies Reviews

Updated May 2, 2014

Magenic Technologies CEO Greg Frankenfield

Greg Frankenfield

Great company, great vision, smart people, and fun environment

Member of the Quality Assurance and Testing Team (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsGet to work with cool stuff, smart people, and large companies.
    Plenty of opportunities for career growth.
    Work with many testing technologies and cutting edge technologies
    Upper management is transparent and fun.
    Working with Microsoft MVPs
    Investment in you as a person, not just a number.

ConsThere can be some long hours, however everywhere I have worked in IT has it happen and that's been 11 years.

Great & Unique place to work

Associate Software Developer (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis Park, MN

Pros-It’s a really fun place to work, like nothing else out there. You won’t find another company where you can work with 40+ developers who have 0-3 yrs experience like you do. With another 40 QAT people, and 40 other consultants, DB people, and UX people in the building, we have a great culture and a full on community here for nerdy developer types, which is awesome.

-On top of that, we do a lot of fun outings and have a very relaxed atmosphere (free pop, casual attire, etc.)

-Flexible hours: you are required to put in 8 hours a day, but can flex your hours around 9-4 how you like.

-Little to no overtime. I haven't worked any overtime except for stuff I have decided to do extra, which was unrelated to my billable coding work. This is because we work for other companies, which means we don't want to be charging them for extra hours. The consultants tend to work the overtime that's required, so your first 2-3 years here will generally be 40 hour weeks unless you volunteer for more.

-The company’s Co-Founder/CEO attended our department’s party last year and was playing computer games with us… this is something I’ve never seen before and I love it.

-It’s a great place to launch your career, because Magenic is very well known and established, we have lots of Microsoft MVPs here, we are involved in the coding community, and Magenic focuses on grooming us to become sharp consultants.

-No micro management here. I have yet to see any rules that make me feel I'm being treated like a child.

Cons-My department (the MDC) is also a very unique work environment because we have almost the opposite of micro-management here. The managers in my department know little of what I do on a daily basis. They rely on feedback from the experienced consultants on my team, which work in another state and have never met me in person. So, while there is a great community around you, you are also expected to be self motivated and self sufficient. This is a good thing because you will feel a lot more trusted as an employee, and there really aren’t any rules around here that make you feel you’re being treated as a child. However, this also can mean that if you want to try and impress your manager and stand out in the crowd (and it’s a big crowd), it’s hard to get them to notice just through your software development skills, because you’re really being managed by the remote consultants on your team… so you really need to go above and beyond in other areas.

-When talking to my manager about money he did admit that here at Magenic you might make less money in the first few years than you would by leaving for another job offer somewhere else, but once you get to consulting, you will likely make more here than other places. I am currently making $47,000 after my first year here and my first year of experience. I have been told my promotion is coming soon which will bump me up 15-20%.

-As with most companies, promotions have red tape wrapped around them. I have been told by my supervisors that I am doing very well, going above and beyond, and that they would have liked to have promoted me by now, but there are other people waiting for promotions who have been waiting longer, so I may have to wait a bit. Apparently tenure can still beat out someone who goes above and beyond when it comes to raises.

Advice to Senior Management-Keep doing what you're doing. While I have listed some cons here, the pros full outweigh them. Not to mention, most of the cons I have listed are present at almost all companies.

-Some micromanagement may be in order for a few of the less productive developers, as no one is really watching them.

-Reward good behavior with promotions and raises, or you may end up losing your best employees. It is annoying how often I get calls or messages from recruiters who saw my Linked In profile. There are very few of us who are still motivated to do our best even after realizing the slacker sitting next to us may get a raise first.

Great place to work that cares about their employees.

ProsWork life balance
    Trend setters
    New technologies
    Great uppoer management

ConsVery distributed.
    consulting challanges
    some travel
    Lack of initial training and onboarding (currently being addressed)

Advice to Senior ManagementMore tactical career path.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work your way to Sucess

ProsYou can make an impact if your skills and presentation of them is correct

ConsIts not a place of people who just want to do 9-5er

meh

Software Professional (Former Employee)
    Golden Valley, MN

ProsYou might be able to learn a lot and get good experience if you get put on the right projects. It really all comes down to luck though.

As far as the quality of the work that Magenic does, they really are better than most consulting organizations out there.

ConsI was (so I was told) hired for software development but kept getting put on QA projects. My advice to anyone who gets hired here for development and gets stuck on QA is to gtfo fast and don't listen to anyone when they say "it's only temporary."

The pay is not that great either. Raises are usually no more than 3%, if they still do raises.

Also....if you're a prospective customer thinking about going with them, go either QA or development, but not both at the same time -- conflict of interest. trust me.

Firing decisions (I left of my own accord btw) don't take into account a person's talent, if they're doing a good job, the only thing that seems to go into it is whether the person is on bench or not.

Advice to Senior Managementshould be obvious.

Decent Consulting Company with Smart and Capable People

Associate Lead Consultant (Former Employee)
    Waltham, MA

ProsThe people I interacted / worked with at Magenic were all hard working, experienced, capable, and fairly talented.

Good pay, OK benefits, a few nice perks like money towards your cell phone bill and gym membership.

Access to online training and technical resources.

Management respected the work / life balance.

ConsNO BONUSES.

From my experience - projects are usually staff augmentation where you really don't learn anything new. Usually you are stuck with a company's internal development staff working on supporting and maintaining some legacy system.

Time off policy isn't good at all. You get 16 days / year for the 1st five years of employment. Sick and vacation time are lumped together.

The company's business model is leaning towards on-site leads dealing with all the stressful client facing work and having low cost and often times inexperienced developers at their off-shore offices doing the technical work. Your job is to basically is to hand hold the client and then baby sit a bunch of junior developers - NOT FUN AT ALL.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart paying some real bonuses.
    Institute a better PTO policy.

Best place to work

Associate Software Developer (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis Park, MN

ProsGreat hours, great management. Best job I've had.

ConsWhen a project gets close to the end, extra hours may be required. You will need to pickup new technologies on a regular basis.

Good place for consultants

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
    Waltham, MA

ProsWork with the brightest people around, you get a chance to learn a lot. They also have training budget so use it. They pay for day by day milage (from the office that you work from to the customer).

ConsNo money bonus at the end of the year (they give out gadget bonuses like xbox, kindle fire, etc.).
    If you work extra hours you will get the money every 6 months as a bonus (it's taxed differently a big NO! it's like they don't encourage extra hours).
    Projects are not extremely interesting to work on, usually you are there to clean somebody else's mistakes. You don't really get to work on what you would like, so get ready to jump through technologies very often and you will.
    It felt like being a part of a fraternity. Somebody else said this a while back in one of the comments.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart thinking on adding the extra hours worked to the monthly paycheck. Start thinking adding an at least 10% bonus to the best 200 consultants.

Great place to work

Consultant (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis Park, MN

ProsMagenic has a great work environment. Working at Magenic you get lots of extra perks you won't at another company. Magenic strives for a good work / life balance. Get to work with seriously some of the smartest people I have ever met. Magenic is a technology leader and always has its eye towards the future of technology.

ConsThe promotion path at Magenic has been a bit of a mystery. This is something they are currently working on.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out the career promotion paths and stick to them. Other than that, continue the great work.

Good luck keeping skills up to date!

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsGood benefits and incentives. Management gives incentives for you to do your certifications

ConsThe projects that come through the pipeline tend to be ones that clients can't get any contractors to take or hire any good developers to do (if the projects were great, they could easily have gotten someone to do it). So the client has Magenic send a consultant to do it (that's you, since you are a consultant on the bench..you pretty much have no choice). Examples of these projects include long stints as glorified tech support, bug fixing systems other developers built, and enhancing poorly built systems instead of being allowed the opportunity to rebuild it. Imagine this experience on your resume now.
    - Supported systems for client
    - Added 7 new fields to different pages for client's website
    - Troubleshoot and fixed bugs for client
    you get the picture....do this for long enough and your skills atrophy into oblivion.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you must have consultants do remedial projects to keep the company in the black, at least rotate out consultants from a period of time.

Worked for Magenic Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Magenic Technologies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Magenic Technologies CEO Greg Frankenfield. All 40 reviews posted anonymously by Magenic Technologies employees.