Magenic Technologies

Magenic Technologies Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Magenic Technologies CEO Greg Frankenfield

Greg Frankenfield

Lots of opportunity to learn and grow professionally

ProsMagenic's culture is one of learning and sharing what you learn. There are many opportunities to learn cool new technologies and grow professionally by improving your tech chops and your soft skills.

ConsConsulting can be a very challenging environment. Many client projects don't go as smoothly as they can because of client politics. But, if things were going smoothly, Magenic wouldn't be needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more lessons from past projects and continue to improve the delivery model.

Magnetic = Revolving Door of Account Executives

Account Executive (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsFree coffee and other perks like free peanuts

ConsRevolving door and high turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementTurnover is unacceotable

Fun Environment

Tester - QAT (Current Employee) Saint Louis Park, MN

ProsThe people here are a joy to work with. Management is extremely nice

Cons-Sometimes they are not very organized

Advice to Senior Managementna

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Marketing Intern

Marketing Intern (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsLearning opportunities within the business
    Great employee environment
    Strong upper management
    Opportunities for advancement
    Top 5 work environment in Minnesota

ConsThere are no cons that I can think of at this time. I could have benefited more from the program if I was was pushed harder. Very relaxed work environment

I hope to work here for many more years

Tester - QAT (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsI really enjoy the culture and love the people who work there. My managers genuinely care about my growth as a tester and don't treat me like a number who is just there to make the company money. I enjoy the work I do, and enjoy going to work each day.

ConsBeing a consulting company, how much you like or dislike Magenic will largely depend on which projects you get to work on. Most of which is out of control, which can be an annoyance if you really like or dislike working with certain types of technologies/projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to improve ways to better grow employees and allow for advancement in the company.

young technologists, focus on the technology less on everything else.

Lead Consultant (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Prosco-workers are pretty smart on average, passionate people, competitive base-pay, overtime opportunities (nebulous)

Consno mentorship, no training, no conferences, mediocre benefits, but overall consensus is that company doesn't get-it. They don't show they value employee's with $100 bonuses. The Culture is disconnected and all regions are disconnected.

Advice to Senior Managementround out better benefits (bonus's), mentorships, invest in employee's, training. The culture is like young technology geeks, need to attract more experienced people. Bring people together more, the regional P/L structure pits regions against each other, move to international and bigger clients.

A great place to be a consultant

Principal Consultant (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsGood people
    Stable work
    Mostly good work
    Opportunities to learn
    Clear career path(s)

On the whole it has been a great place to work and has weathered all of the ups and downs of the industry. It's consulting, so you have to take the good assignments with the bad and realize that being a consultant doesn't always mean that you are going to be doing exactly what you want every gig.

ConsIt's consulting work - there are good gigs and bad gigs

Advice to Senior ManagementFor the most part keep doing what you're doing - you can't argue with success. Just try not to go too corporate and forget the little things that have made the company a great place to work.

Great people!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe people at Magenic are top notch!! Some of the smartest technical people work at Magenic.

ConsSome clients are not good environments. Sticking only to Microsoft technology stack is limiting. Times are changing, and technologies are too.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement in MN should come to the regions more often.

At First Seems Great, but It's all Political

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsAt first, managers were great. Then reality sets in if you are not a "favorite".

ConsMagenic has had a great reputation...in the past that is. But only being there for 9 mo you have to wonder if it "was" a great reputation.

The interview is a joke, they don't have any sort of technical interview whatsoever. This is because they take any crap project they can get their hands on, so it doesn't require a lot of skill.

People talk behind your back, especially a select group of PMs up in MN corporate. Nobody can be trusted. They canned 3 people at the end of 2012 for no reason, 3 very good people (1 dev and 2 highly qualified PMs). Managers go cold on you after a few months if they do not like you as well.

So if this was the great Magenic that was pitched to me, it has to be the PAST Magenic because it's not greener on the other side.

They also take ANY kind of work now. I hear they used to be picky in that they had a reputation somewhat like Thoughtworks where they wouldn't default to mom & pop shops and would pick the cream of the crop projects that were more cutting edge. Not the case at all. I overheard many projects and they were all either dealing with crap SharePoint or lame projects where you were'nt allowed to use new technologies so they're no different than your average lame consulting company now.

Sucks, I had great expectations for this place. Fun while it lasted...fun for a few months only...rest of the time was like wtf???

Unless you pat your manager's back, give a back rub every other day, you're f'd here. It's all about playing favorites now.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou risk losing your best employees, some have already left. You lose more and the Magenic name is trashed. Good luck with firing people, your best people...see how that works out for you.

For my first Job I've enjoyed working at Magenic, even though I feel I still might be underpaid

Consultant (Current Employee) Saint Louis Park, MN

ProsThe culture is great. There are lots of smart and nice people at Magenic. The ones that don't fit in don't last long. I enjoy going to work each day. I enjoy working on varying projects with different clients.

ConsSome of the projects have stupid clients. It's annoying when you give good solutions and they refuse to do them because of some political reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to put the Consultant first. Keep your best talent. Stop hiring bad MDC developers just to fill a contract.

Worked for Magenic Technologies? Contribute to the Community!