Magenic Technologies

Great people!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Magenic Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people at Magenic are top notch!! Some of the smartest technical people work at Magenic.

Cons

Some clients are not good environments. Sticking only to Microsoft technology stack is limiting. Times are changing, and technologies are too.

Management in MN should come to the regions more often.

At First Seems Great, but It's all Political

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Magenic Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

At first, managers were great. Then reality sets in if you are not a "favorite".

Cons

Magenic has had a great reputation...in the past that is. But only being there for 9 mo you have to wonder if it "was" a great reputation.

The interview is a joke, they don't have any sort of technical interview whatsoever. This is because they take any crap project they can get their hands on, so it doesn't require a lot of skill.

People talk behind your back, especially a select group of PMs up in MN corporate. Nobody can be trusted. They canned 3 people at the end of 2012 for no reason, 3 very good people (1 dev and 2 highly qualified PMs). Managers go cold on you after a few months if they do not like you as well.

So if this was the great Magenic that was pitched to me, it has to be the PAST Magenic because it's not greener on the other side.

They also take ANY kind of work now. I hear they used to be picky in that they had a reputation somewhat like Thoughtworks where they wouldn't default to mom & pop shops and would pick the cream of the crop projects that were more cutting edge. Not the case at all. I overheard many projects and they were all either dealing with crap SharePoint or lame projects where you were'nt allowed to use new technologies so they're no different than your average lame consulting company now.

Sucks, I had great expectations for this place. Fun while it lasted...fun for a few months only...rest of the time was like wtf???

Unless you pat your manager's back, give a back rub every other day, you're f'd here. It's all about playing favorites now.

You risk losing your best employees, some have already left. You lose more and the Magenic name is trashed. Good luck with firing people, your best people...see how that works out for you.

For my first Job I've enjoyed working at Magenic, even though I feel I still might be underpaid

Current Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis Park, MN
    Current Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis Park, MN

I have been working at Magenic Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The culture is great. There are lots of smart and nice people at Magenic. The ones that don't fit in don't last long. I enjoy going to work each day. I enjoy working on varying projects with different clients.

Cons

Some of the projects have stupid clients. It's annoying when you give good solutions and they refuse to do them because of some political reason.

Continue to put the Consultant first. Keep your best talent. Stop hiring bad MDC developers just to fill a contract.

Family business

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Magenic Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Magenic is stable, and has been growing at a measured pace for years. Its a good place to hone your tech skills and the entire company culture is built around embracing that. They hire tech good people and try to create a reasonable environment. The CTO is great, and is the figurehead of the technologist culture. The CEO does his best to stay grounded.

Cons

Leadership opportunities beyond the technology are minimal. The most senior roles in the company are reserved for friends and family (all of the roles), none of these individuals have held these types of positions prior to Magenic. Its a limiting factor for the firm.

Realize that the business spans beyond St. Louis Park, and build relationships with the people in your regions. Visit those locations more often than twice/year. Those people forced to be more entrepreneurial, so expect to find your next crop of leaders in those locations.

Nearshore wha?

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Magenic Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

One of the Microsoft consulting success stories out of the 00's.

Cons

Tech profile led by Rocky Lhotka who hasn't really been relevant since the VB days. Magenic tends to chase the bottom and their nearshore initiative (not so cheap straight out of college resources in Minnesota) smelled of desperation. The local office was the used-car salesmen of tech services in Atlanta. I hear Chicago was better, though.

Great company, great vision, smart people, and fun environment

Current Employee - Member of the Quality Assurance and Testing Team in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Magenic Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Get to work with cool stuff, smart people, and large companies.
    Plenty of opportunities for career growth.
    Work with many testing technologies and cutting edge technologies
    Upper management is transparent and fun.
    Working with Microsoft MVPs
    Investment in you as a person, not just a number.

Cons

There can be some long hours, however everywhere I have worked in IT has it happen and that's been 11 years.

Great & Unique place to work

Current Employee - Associate Software Developer in Saint Louis Park, MN
    Current Employee - Associate Software Developer in Saint Louis Park, MN

I have been working at Magenic Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-It’s a really fun place to work, like nothing else out there. You won’t find another company where you can work with 40+ developers who have 0-3 yrs experience like you do. With another 40 QAT people, and 40 other consultants, DB people, and UX people in the building, we have a great culture and a full on community here for nerdy developer types, which is awesome.

-On top of that, we do a lot of fun outings and have a very relaxed atmosphere (free pop, casual attire, etc.)

-Flexible hours: you are required to put in 8 hours a day, but can flex your hours around 9-4 how you like.

-Little to no overtime. I haven't worked any overtime except for stuff I have decided to do extra, which was unrelated to my billable coding work. This is because we work for other companies, which means we don't want to be charging them for extra hours. The consultants tend to work the overtime that's required, so your first 2-3 years here will generally be 40 hour weeks unless you volunteer for more.

-The company’s Co-Founder/CEO attended our department’s party last year and was playing computer games with us… this is something I’ve never seen before and I love it.

-It’s a great place to launch your career, because Magenic is very well known and established, we have lots of Microsoft MVPs here, we are involved in the coding community, and Magenic focuses on grooming us to become sharp consultants.

-No micro management here. I have yet to see any rules that make me feel I'm being treated like a child.

Cons

-My department (the MDC) is also a very unique work environment because we have almost the opposite of micro-management here. The managers in my department know little of what I do on a daily basis. They rely on feedback from the experienced consultants on my team, which work in another state and have never met me in person. So, while there is a great community around you, you are also expected to be self motivated and self sufficient. This is a good thing because you will feel a lot more trusted as an employee, and there really aren’t any rules around here that make you feel you’re being treated as a child. However, this also can mean that if you want to try and impress your manager and stand out in the crowd (and it’s a big crowd), it’s hard to get them to notice just through your software development skills, because you’re really being managed by the remote consultants on your team… so you really need to go above and beyond in other areas.

-When talking to my manager about money he did admit that here at Magenic you might make less money in the first few years than you would by leaving for another job offer somewhere else, but once you get to consulting, you will likely make more here than other places. I am currently making $47,000 after my first year here and my first year of experience. I have been told my promotion is coming soon which will bump me up 15-20%.

-As with most companies, promotions have red tape wrapped around them. I have been told by my supervisors that I am doing very well, going above and beyond, and that they would have liked to have promoted me by now, but there are other people waiting for promotions who have been waiting longer, so I may have to wait a bit. Apparently tenure can still beat out someone who goes above and beyond when it comes to raises.

-Keep doing what you're doing. While I have listed some cons here, the pros full outweigh them. Not to mention, most of the cons I have listed are present at almost all companies.

-Some micromanagement may be in order for a few of the less productive developers, as no one is really watching them.

-Reward good behavior with promotions and raises, or you may end up losing your best employees. It is annoying how often I get calls or messages from recruiters who saw my Linked In profile. There are very few of us who are still motivated to do our best even after realizing the slacker sitting next to us may get a raise first.

Great place to work that cares about their employees.

I have been working at Magenic Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work life balance
    Trend setters
    New technologies
    Great uppoer management

Cons

Very distributed.
    consulting challanges
    some travel
    Lack of initial training and onboarding (currently being addressed)

More tactical career path.

Work your way to Sucess

I have been working at Magenic Technologies

Pros

You can make an impact if your skills and presentation of them is correct

Cons

Its not a place of people who just want to do 9-5er

meh

Former Employee - Software Professional in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Software Professional in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Magenic Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You might be able to learn a lot and get good experience if you get put on the right projects. It really all comes down to luck though.

As far as the quality of the work that Magenic does, they really are better than most consulting organizations out there.

Cons

I was (so I was told) hired for software development but kept getting put on QA projects. My advice to anyone who gets hired here for development and gets stuck on QA is to gtfo fast and don't listen to anyone when they say "it's only temporary."

The pay is not that great either. Raises are usually no more than 3%, if they still do raises.

Also....if you're a prospective customer thinking about going with them, go either QA or development, but not both at the same time -- conflict of interest. trust me.

Firing decisions (I left of my own accord btw) don't take into account a person's talent, if they're doing a good job, the only thing that seems to go into it is whether the person is on bench or not.

should be obvious.