Magento
www.magento.com Culver City, CA 50 to 149 Employees

Magento Reviews

Updated Mar 24, 2014
Magento – Ukraine – “Magento”

Roy Rubin

Honestly, a truly great place to be a designer

Culver City, CA

I have been working at Magento full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe design team is one of the best around. Amazing people you look forward to seeing every day. The Culver City office is just "DotCom" enough to be fun and still build great things. Challenging projects and the freedom to propose radical solutions. Having eBay as a parent company provides killer benefits.

ConsThings can change quickly and you face a lot of "blank canvas" situations. You may have to go hunting for requirements. If you want a simple, clearly defined set of tasks... this environment is not for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementGiven the dedication the people here bring, it would be nice to have more events FOR the employees, just nice things to acknowledge the teams.

Enthusiastic, collegial workmates

Instructional Designer (Former Employee)

I worked at Magento as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGreat products (Magento Enterprise, Magento Community Edition, Magento Go)
Intelligent, enthusiastic colleagues
International colleagues
Virtual/remote workplace

ConsConservative pay
Sometimes the pressure to move fast prevents you from doing the strategic

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing a fabulous job of supporting your end users
How do you measure your return on investment?

Great place to learn the industry make tons of connections and advance your career but don't expect to be paid well.

I have been working at Magento

ProsGreat product with tons of moment in the market, great ecosystem

ConsOpen Source Salaries, poor offices

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Opportunity abounds if you make them happen and show initiative.

Channel Development Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Magento full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAccess to executive team. Creativity and ingenuity is rewarded. Opportunities are offered to those regardless of age and years of experience should you show promise, incentive, curiosity and passion. Start up feel, embrace family and work / life balance.

ConsSmaller company meaning you may hit the ceiling sooner than expected with little room to advance to a larger role. May be forced to look to other eBay Inc assets to continue to grow in to other roles.

Advice to Senior ManagementMagento's current management team is on the right path and has begun the next step of organizing and directing the company into the future.

No Regrets!

Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at Magento full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Exciting product and interesting clients/prospects.
-Good way to gain industry experience and networking opportunity

Cons-Product roadmap/direction was not always clear
-Culture declined post acquisition as the "start up" mentality was lost. Had to go through multiple people for decisions, creating challenges in getting things done

Awful Place to Work!

Director of Sales (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Magento

ProsMagento is not a bad low-level ecommerce product.

ConsMagento is a pretty good product, but the management team is ruthless and could care less about their employees. The common hiring practice is to make promises based on performance, but to change the parameters around the promise when you achieve the set goals. "Bait and Switch" is how they treat customers and employees and they are all about making money. They also like to hire young people or those without much experience so they can leverage as much work as they can out of them, thinking they won't complain on their first job... "You're lucky to have a job in this economy" is how they leverage the market against their people.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect, set expectations and reward good behavior when expectations are met. Be honest, deliver on promises and your customers and employees will follow you.

I worked as Developer and got good experience which will useful in the future.

Software Developer (Former Employee)
Kiev (Ukraine)

I worked at Magento full-time for more than a year

ProsApplying Ajail, trainings, investment to employers in the form of allocation of time for self-study, paid lunches, management might be good, but not at all projects.

ConsThe main problem in a schedule. 11am-8pm - is huge disadvantage. After Ebay bought Magento got lot of changes and a big part not for the better, a lot of noise in the Open Space.

QA Engineer

QA Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Magento full-time for more than a year

ProsFistly, Magento uses Agile methodologies,
Secondly, the team is high professional and it is pleasure work with them,
and above all, Magento doing a great poduct. I am really exited to work there.
I have a lot of benefits.

ConsIt is not allowed to tell this due to my contract.

its a sweatshop

I have been working at Magento full-time

Prosvery few. titles have too many adjectives, very little responsibilities and very low pay. i was being paid 50% below market rate.

Consmanagement is uninvolved, college grads interface directly with clients with little supervision. adverse client events put your job in jeopardy.

Advice to Senior Managementbe involved in employee growth and compensate employees according to market rate

An Excellent Career!

I have been working at Magento

ProsMagento is a Division of Ebay. There are various Bonuses you can earn throughout the year. Benefits, Salary, Parties are the best at this company. Its a small company, growing quickly.

ConsPromotions aren't done fairly. They are not based on performance, but rather politics. But, compensation is above average so learn how to play the game and win.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to do an excellent job! Thus far, you have won over many of your employees, which is rare. Keep up the great work!

Worked for Magento? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Magento reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Magento CEO Roy Rubin. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Magento employees.