Magma Design Reviews

Reset

MAGMA MAGMA MAGAM...think 100 times before joinign it

Current Employee - Senior Applications Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

If you want to spare few months without doing work and wwant to spoil your career, just go and join MAGMA. I seriously see no useage of joining this organisation where there is completely dark inside. haunted place to be work in. Horrible horribkle

Cons

1. No raod map 2. No information to employee when will the be laid off 3. After salary reduction they layoff so killing ppl taking their all body parts out. 4. If people does not work they are not aksed to work. But whwo works are aksed to threaten them by laying them off

Advice to Management

1. Please make some trust with employess.

2. Magma, it's been nice knowing you

Former Employee - Senior Product Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Product Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

Nice people to work with. The say to day environment was outstanding. The pay rates were actually pretty good, unless you were on a commission sales plan, then it might have been tough.

Cons

They have destroyed the EDA market with slash and burn pricing, and they are really feeling the pain right now. The management does not have a good idea or plan to improve the situation, the employees are so demotivated the only reason they show up is to keep benefits and hope that something better will come along.

Advice to Management

Resign and let someone who knows what they are doing try to turn this around. You have tried it your way for 10 years, and it has not exactly worked out. It was profitable in the short term, and everyone who was smart sold their options when the time was right, but now that the market is destroyed, no one will give you good value for your products ever again.

The company is ok but not very stable.

Current Employee - Senior Product Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Product Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

The compensation and benefits are good. I found by hear say and salary checks that in general the salary is better. The heath insurance pays for almost anything but a lot of times you will be on the phone talking to someone to make sure that they actually pay what they are supposed to pay.

Cons

The company had layoffs recently. The work is good but at the same time it is a small company fighting bigger companies for market share. They will probably get out of this rut sooner or later but with the layoffs you have to wonder if other rounds are to follow.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to get more R&D resources for core products.

5. The company is not bad

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Magma is young and innovative company

Cons

The EDA industry Magma belongs to does not have to much future

Advice to Management

Spend some time on team building

6. best ever company

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Magma Design full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

best ever company to work , all employee or management had never give attitude .. great working environment

Cons

i didnt find any during my tenure of eight years

7. Magma Design Automation (now Synopsys) -- Mumbai

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Mumbai (India)
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Mumbai (India)

I worked at Magma Design full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This was by far the best people I have worked with. It was managed by a very able and approachable technical manager. Nobody bothered about dress code, or timing, or formal communication when it could be conveyed casually. Everyone, including the manager, trusted everybody else, and I have never seen anybody break that trust. The domain being EDA, work was quite challenging and exciting. Playing around with ideas and trying to incorporate those ideas in the code was not only accepted but highly encouraged. And by this I do not mean the so called "innovation week" every company seems to have. The seniors were absolutely helpful and friendly, never "demanding" any respect. Of course they did not have to; by their own virtues they got it anyway. They were also among the best technical mentors I have ever had. Oh, and free lunch. :-)

Cons

When I was working, due to recession and legal battles, the pay was good but not very good (though there were employee stock options). From what I have heard Synopsys has rectified this situation to some extent. Also, since such companies have a very flat hierarchy, if you want to become a manager as quickly as possible, this is definitely not the ideal company for you.

Advice to Management

Please don't let the fun and trust die in the web of corporate processes.

8. well paid job but not much learning for testing roles

Former Employee - Associate Member of Tech Staff in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Associate Member of Tech Staff in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Magma Design full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees were approachable and knowledgeable, Flexible work hours, Good management, good work culture, paid well

Cons

Was a small company, so at times, I was required to work more than the number of hours per week mentioned in the offer letter. My role was in testing and I didn't get to learn as much I would had expected to.

9. Field AE

Current Employee - AE Director
    Current Employee - AE Director

I have been working at Magma Design full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Magma Design Automation was a software company in the electronic design automation (EDA) industry. The company was founded in 1997 and maintained headquarters in San Jose, California, with facilities throughout North America, Europe, Japan, Asia and India

Cons

The marketing, sales, management had so many thing to improved, but the company had almost no chance to finish that...

10. Flexible environment But not good work

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Magma Design full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We can maintain our work and personal life easily.

Cons

Neither manager nor senior employee are good in helping sub ordinates. There is a big difference in pay from team to teams.

11. Experience at Magma DA

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Magma Design full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good technology, team with very sound technical knowledge, fast moving.

Cons

No work-life balance, long hours, work was haphazard and not pre-planned.

RSS Feed </> Embed