Magna Powertrain

www.magnapowertrain.com

Magna Powertrain Reviews

Updated Jun 2, 2014
Magna Powertrain – Lansing – “Somewhere down the line !”

Jake V. Hirsch

Performance Based Focus.

Manager (Current Employee) Troy, MI

ProsGreat global growth.
    Industry leader that is well capitalized.

ConsMore performance metric rather than process focus
    Rather high turnover of personnel.

not very great!

Supplier Quality (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

Prosgood benefits, good training, learn a lot

ConsNepotism, no personal growth, management at whims and fancies, set labor standards using time motion study for salaried employees

Advice to Senior ManagementImmigrants are not treated well

This is a very difficult place to work.

Quality Supervisor/Engineer (Current Employee) Sterling Heights, MI

ProsLarge size, many tools in the corporate "tool box". Good sharing of knowledge (I.E. Best in class, Read Accross).

ConsManagement always expects 80 hours of work per week. Difficult to balance work and family life. Impossible to complete all tasks in 50 hours per week. Requires working late, working weekends. No positive feedback, only negative.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold everyone equally accountable. The playing field is far from being level. High performers are criticized, poor performers seem to get a pass.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Analyst

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFellow employees were great when trained properly

ConsNo training for all levels of employees

Avoid at all costs

Project Engineer (Current Employee) Troy, MI

ProsConstantly hiring and looking for new people. Negotiate your severance package before you start. Good place to learn what not to do.

ConsConstant employee turnover. The President gives out $100 for doing a great job. Names it after himself called a Hirsch Hundred. Entire director level staff is arrogant and thinks they are the OEM. Each of them battles to let on they are smarter than the other.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you do best MPT!!

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

IT Changes - Again

IT Guy (Current Employee) Troy, MI

ProsNone anymore after what just happened.

ConsOur CIO want to be just left (or was asked to leave, we will never know). He lasted around 1.5 years, better than the guy before him. He promoted the wrong people, he hired the wrong people, he fired the wrong people, listened to the president, and then left. Bravo again to everyone involved. The international crew will now show up help change things again. The issue is that they are in it for themselves.
    HR is constantly spying on employees. They always side with Driveline because they have no power whatsoever. Quality Department head is related to someone in the company. Purchasing VP just left to go work at a university. The list goes on folks.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk some questions - sometimes it helps. No more surveys once a year.

Internship

Intern (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly work environment. Busy office environment.

ConsChallenging tasks may be lacking

Advice to Senior ManagementNot sure about advice as I was not involved in management side.

Successful Business Model

Facilities Electrical Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsThe position was project and maintenance oriented offering a lot of personal job satisfaction. A lot of highly experienced professionals that were willing to work together to get the job done.

ConsGlobal company which split up operations to areas of the business to places which I wasn't willing to relocate to.

Vile

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay with okay benefits. Overtime was good while there was a demand for the transfer cases and transaxle units was high.

ConsThe environment was not conducive to quality work or safety. Management was hamstrung by the Canadian board over innovations and renovations of the factory. We were killed off by a lack of support from that same board in favor of a few dollars saved by making the product in Mexico. Quality was not the issue and they are throwing a lot of money south of the border to bring quality up down there. We'll see if it ever happens...

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees at least as much as Frank Stronach cares about his race horses. You might find you get more cooperation from people if you try to work with them rather than bully them.

The work is scarce and unchallenging.

Design Engineer (Former Employee) Troy, MI

ProsThere are some good people working here. Most want out.

ConsVery rigid in their approach. Not willing to change. Everything they do seems to be a copy of something else. It doesn't matter if it is incorrect because of a "we're doing it that way and have always done it that way" mentality. Very unchallenging environment. Great place to surf if that's what you want to do...

Advice to Senior ManagementThe status quo is lame and does not work.

Worked for Magna Powertrain? Contribute to the Community!