Magnet Systems

Updated February 5, 2015
Updated February 5, 2015
2.8

Alfred Chuang

This is an exciting year for Magnet

I have been working at Magnet Systems

Pros

The people. This is a company of extremely talented people. It's a start up on steroids, meaning it has a start up feeling, with stability. I've read the reviews, but haven't seen any of that negativity. The folks here are focused and seem to enjoy what the do. The management team are very approachable, and like hearing feedback.

Perks: There are weekly get togethers (sometimes games and prizes), the normal snacks, lunches, all the fun of a start up. The company seems to be heading in the right direction.

Cons

May want to consider more variety of snacks

Keep doing what you are doing, and keep lines of communication open.

Excited to be part of the team!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Magnet Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great time to join as the company is growing! We have a diverse team and it's great to see the collaboration of all doing exciting things. I can't wait to show everyone our cool applications!

Cons

As we're quickly growing, we'll need a larger office sooner than expected.

Thank you for the great opportunity to learn and work with an awesome team!

Reality Bites

I have been working at Magnet Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You would be justified to heed caution after reading all the negative reviews below. It's possible that the people writing them believed they were wronged. However, it's also possible that the people who wrote those reviews have an axe to grind. Let me explain.

All startups go through growing pains where they have to adjust their strategy, product mix, and people along the way in order to adjust with the changing market conditions and find that magical formula that strikes gold. If the company doesn't adapt, it dies. Magnet is no different. Over its history, it has gone through a few such changes. Technical and management leaders were hired to help guide the company forward. These managers had the freedom to hire staff with the necessary skills to meet the company vision.

As it has been the case, some of those managers have moved on because they were unable to effectively execute towards that vision. However, left in their absence were some employees who held allegiance to those individuals rather than the company. Many such individuals were lured to the "glamor" of a startup with glitter in their eyes of making a quick buck towards retirement. High power CEO, marquis investors, lots of money, hot market... where's the risk!!!

But of course, when you leave a stable job at a large company with entitlements and clarity of vision, only to find out that life in a startup is no bed of roses... it's a grind and there's lots of risk... it scares the hell out of some people.

There's ambiguity all around and the company has to make bets. Of course, when some of those bets don't pay off, then some people are quick to blame the management... CEO sucks... no product... HR is a joke... so on and so on. Rather than asking questions and proposing solutions, they complain among themselves and write negative reviews on Glassdoor.

In a startup, every person is responsible for making the company they want it to be. It doesn't happen magically or by decree. I personally know of the dedication and countless waking hours that many people put into the company... all across the board from the CEO, to HR, many engineers, product managers, program managers, etc. by doing a lot of things behind the scenes that the average employee doesn't even see. These people don't toot their horns and advertise all the things they do... but rather take it upon themselves and extend beyond their official job duties to do what's right for the company.

Don't get jaded by the loud and cynical views of the few, only to lose sight of the quiet dedication of the many.

Cons

A startup is not for the faint-hearted and for someone looking for the easy road to retirement. The target market that Magnet is attacking is huge.

Advice to everyone... not just management:

Be open, honest, and constructive. Don't be cynical. Start a dialog and don't be afraid to listen to what the other person has to say.

Dec 7, 2014Head of Human Resoures

As with most startups there is a period of learning curve as the corporate strategy and direction are defined. Understanding the market and focus takes time and research to develop.
    Magnet has
    ... More

Lacks vision and direction, don't waste your time

I worked at Magnet Systems full-time

Pros

Location : downtown palo alto is great.
    Money : seems to have enough, at least thats what they tell everyone

Cons

Everyone is an individual contributor, no team work
    Lack of direction, no clear idea on what and how to build and sell

None. No one cares to listen anyways.

Dec 7, 2014Head of Human Resoures

Yes we care to listen, preferably in person and not on Glassdoor.
    There is a definitely a vision and a direction, it's communicated all the time.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Magnet Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The benefits, salary are greate and the ability to think in a innovative manner is encouraged and allowed. Employees are recognized for their hardwork and are given the freedom to think about ideas. There is creative tension between employees and new ways of how to build great software is encouraged. The engineering meetings and bi-weekly company meetings have lot of information and getting an overview of the Market and Business outlook from Alfred Chuang is very helpful.

My career was bolstered and my knowledge increased dramatically in the Mobile space as there are some very creative individuals are working within Magnet team, always provide innovative outlook to problems and are willing teachers.

Cons

Like any startup there are challenges, but with Vision in the right place and that in itself works out any issues within the team.

Keep encouraging innovation and growth within the team

Death throes of a startup

I have been working at Magnet Systems

Pros

Location is great, office is decent for startup. Bagels once week, company meeting biweekly with lunch served. Lots of good folks below top level mgt

Cons

Sadly this startup is in the death throes of failure, circling the drain. There may be some money left to keep it going a bit longer, but there is now a smell of desperation. No one knows what direction it's heading and half the staff is sitting idle. Don't buy into the positive reviews on here. They are merely posted to mitigate the negative reviews, probably by upper mgt and those who are biased b/c of the large amounts of stock they hold. There is much dissatisfaction in the ranks. CEO does not appear to understand the market place or how to build an engineering team - doesn't understand scrum or agile practices. He knows he has dysfunctional managers but won't replace them. Instead hires a better candidate and lets them work side by side, duking it out. Very uncomfortable situation. Typically new hires are excited at first until they are janked back and forth a few times with product vision changes, many of which make no sense. Then they get the deer in the headlight look. Soon after they are gone. Those left are banking that the CEO's reputation will magically carry him to success, or are simply happy getting a paycheck. However, even some of those supporters are now wavering as well...

CEO's behavior is erratic at times; one day he'll say a weekly meeting is useless and will be canceled unless the format changes, and that's the last you'll hear of it. He seems to change his mind constantly depending on what others whisper in his ear. No open door policy at all, bit of a prima donna. Only those favored get to speak with him. The cofounder is useless and concerns herself mostly with office rearranging .. which then also never happens. HR .. don't even start, just keep walking. There are many talented people there who all seem quite sad to have been sucked into this hopeless vortex. Stock is highly overvalued.

I wish I could offer encouragement, but I'm not sure there's hope...

Dec 7, 2014Head of Human Resoures

I’ll start, talk to us, come and talk to me. No one should just ride on a CEO’s reputation, although we do have a wonderful CEO. He and we do have an open door policy, in fact we don’t have very ... More

Lack of Vision in a Crowded Market

I worked at Magnet Systems

Pros

Have raised a lot of money and well known VC backing.
    The location in downtown palo alto is great.
    They are in the mobile space which is an interesting and exciting market.

Cons

There seems to be tremendous turnover on executive level and the lower level as well.
    The company is in the mobile space but lacks mobile vision or people that come from mobile.

Need more mobile folks.

Dec 7, 2014Head of Human Resoures

We agree, we need more mobile folks and experience, and we are hiring! We will win as a team. Many changes have been made to bring down the silos. We have been listening.

High Potential!

I have been working at Magnet Systems

Pros

Well-known vc.
    Well-funded.
    CEO's vision of the product is awesome!
    Very strong senior level - senior management and architects.

Cons

Need more man power in lower level.

No comment as I believe the company is on the right track. It just needs more talented people to make it happen.

Dec 7, 2014Head of Human Resoures

We’re listening, and working to add to our extremely top notch team. People and Staffing are our number 1 priority.
    We’re hiring!

Miserable!

I worked at Magnet Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Location
    Proximity to Cal Train
    Generous week off around Holidays
    Deep pockets, money not an issue
    Some really great employees work here
    Beautiful office, for a start-up

Cons

Where to start?

Don't be fooled by the only 2 positive reviews on Glassdoor This is managements way of deflecting all the negative reviews. HR is the main problem at Magnet, followed by lack of leadership from the top.

Leadership unapproachable, doors are open, but don't dare ever approach top leadership unannounced

Lies, Lies and more Lies. Be prepared to be thrown under the bus

Management at all levels lacks supporting subordinates

Unethical practices, bullying, management is in denial, cutthroat. Kill or be killed atmosphere

Lots of unhappy employees - all the seasoned and smart ones have left for other opportunities

The ones that stick around are floaters, yes people. Just drawing a paycheck.

Too many people complaining to each other on a daily basis but won't stand up to Management

High Turnover

They are a lawsuit waiting to happen

Last but not least, NO PRODUCT!

It is probably too late to repair the broken company culture that rewards disrespect and ego. Take the next offer and sell now while your investors can still make a decent return. Failure is on the horizon.

Dig your heads out of the sand and see what ALL of management does wrong, and then replace them. You've lost way too many good people - Otherwise, you soon will have no company to manage.

Stop considering every smart person who works for you as a deadly threat to your well being. A lot of people really don't care if you exist or not.

Stop surrounding yourself with YES people.

Worst HR department in a company I've ever worked for. Completely inept!

Dec 7, 2014Head of Human Resoures

I’m sorry you had a bad experience. Thing have changed quite a bit. Rest assured, there is a product and a defined direction. We are listening.

Good broad vision for set of products to offer to the market

I have been working at Magnet Systems (more than a year)

Pros

Products has large range from middleware, server-side/cloud to front-end mobile apps. Many skills , roles can be learned on the job.

Cons

Facing the competitive job market for hiring high-tech professionals fast enough across all departments.

Bring more talents (engineering, pm, and sales) on board to prepare for scaling up in order to satisfy the demand by potential customers.

Dec 7, 2014Head of Human Resoures

We understand, yes we are in a very competitive market. We are focusing our recruiting efforts to find the right people, experience, and desire to help the company succeed.

Magnet Systems Photos