Magnetek

Updated November 6, 2014
Updated November 6, 2014
1.9

Pete McCormick

Not recommend to relocate to

Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Menomonee Falls, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Menomonee Falls, WI

I have been working at Magnetek full-time (more than an year)

Pros

easy going, slow pace, family friendly

Cons

low salary, not good to career path

Little company, big politics!

Former Employee - Anonymous in Menomonee Falls, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Menomonee Falls, WI

I worked at Magnetek full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Had a good team to work with. Direct boss treated me like an adult but the rest of the staff did not.

Cons

This is the only company I've been at that the engineering department was the last one to embrace technology. They still ran Windows 2000 and management didn't want to upgrade...

Most issues are not handled like adults... No one is approached like an adult they are belittled and scolded like a 5 year old.

The same process that was in place in the 70's is still in effect today and to change anything that may be efficient would endanger your job as the senior staff is extremely scared of change. If you enjoy pushing buttons and never having an independent thought this would be the place to go.

Each business unit is disconnected from the business as a whole and it would appear management does not care in the least.

Most employees are scared and confused about technology.

There is very little planning to any project and even everything is run by the seat of their pants.

HR is not your friend and over reacts to almost every situation as they don't know what is happening and don't grasp the information presented.

Overall the company is in the dark ages and progress is not valued or embraced.

Start to listen to new employees!

Refresh the staff and senior management as they will be gone soon and none of the younger generation will want to work with a bunch of dinosaurs and use software from before they were born because they didn't want to change.

Get people in there that understand technology.

Encourage independent thinking not monotony and button pushing.

A waste of time and dedication

Former Employee - Material Handler in Menomonee Falls, WI
    Former Employee - Material Handler in Menomonee Falls, WI

I worked at Magnetek as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

Direct co-workers are easy to get along with

Cons

Management is a joke.
    Promise you things and will never happen
    Give lead positions away to people with no knowledge of that position, while theirs plenty of people in that department that should have gotten that position with all the knowledge already.
    Everything's a big secret. There is always a surprise, usually being a negative impact on you, but something to make another persons job easier.
    The majority of the time everyone is trying to do as little as possible, always trying to pass off what they should be doing onto you. Again make my job easier at your expense.
    Once your in good with supervisors / management you can get away with stuff like sitting on the computer, going on Facebook, checking sports teams scores and looking at seating charts, all while your workers are busting there butts and they wont even bat an eye at them.

No advice to give. They can not be oblivous to these problems which means they choose to accept it how it is... there have been complaints but they all go in one ear and out the other.

Not good.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menomonee Falls, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menomonee Falls, WI

I worked at Magnetek full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My peers (non-management) were kind and easy to work with, as most were as unhappy as everyone else. Was able to use this as a quick stepping stone to a better position.

Cons

You are just another employee, the company doesn't value individuals, there is a bunch of turn over. After leaving, I've continually seen my position reposted. Some positions are a revolving door. Very little is communicated to non-management employees.

a company to be reviewed

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Menomonee Falls, WI

I worked at Magnetek full-time (more than an year)

Pros

some nice colleagues and experienced enginners

Cons

frequent change in management may cause some problems

one big let down

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menomonee Fls, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menomonee Fls, WI

I have been working at Magnetek

Pros

Nice caring co-workers, Not pushed to work past your ability, Be on time and Show up do your job like a zombie with no opinion and you'll have a OK paying job forever,

Cons

Middle Management does not do a very good job at giving credit to those workers that have it coming.The Department Lead and Middle Managers think their way is the only way and when you try giving your input and show them different ways to achieve the same end results,Are easier on you doing the task and over time would save money. They don't care. The leads are also to much yes people when it comes to trying to correct any problems.Good people just hard being a robot worker and its hard to really care and do good work.Do the extra over your co-workers and be a team player and then when you ask something they use the old everybody's equal bit.Its not a place to give a 110%

No opportunity for advancement.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menomonee Falls, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menomonee Falls, WI

I have been working at Magnetek

Pros

Some decent people stuck in the same boat as you.

Cons

No advancement.
    Voice is not heard.
    Too much politics.

Get rid of some of the VPs and bring in new hungry leadership with new ideas for growth.

Material Handling department contains older engineers who are very difficult to get along with

I worked at Magnetek

Pros

The pay was great and most of the people were nice

Cons

Management was not willing to discipline certain workers who have had major problems with most employees. The reason being is that these workers had too much experience and basically were doing the managers job. Many workers left the Material Handling department due to one older employee.

If you want to get good talent and retain good talent, then you must work on making it a more pleasant place to work. Even if that means getting rid of a very experienced worker.

Not for me

Former Employee - Panel Wirer in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Panel Wirer in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Magnetek

Pros

I really can't think of any.

Cons

I was told that the company could not afford to give more than a 25 cent raise, only to find a day later that a woman who was known to complain often and loudly was given a dollar. Also, besides having managers lie to your face, there are too many politics. My company was bought by Magnetek. It was the worst thing to happen to what had been a great place to work. Before the buyout I was literally weeks from earning an extra week of vacation, but since Magnetek did not follow the same vacation schedule I was not given the additional week. Magnetek is a vampire that sucks the life out of small companies by buying them up and bleeding them dry.

Treat your people with respect

If you are looking for advance within 5 years, don't apply here

Former Employee - Product Tester in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Product Tester in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Magnetek

Pros

starting salary is better than average for other companies within Milwaukee.

Cons

pay increases are slow and promotions seem to be giver to personnel outside of the company or 10 year employees.

stop taking care of long term employees and look at the most motivated employees.

Magnetek Photos

Headquarters
Power control and delivery products
Product Training Session