Magnetic Reviews

Updated October 28, 2014
Updated October 28, 2014
4.8

James Green

The best place of my career so far (10+ years in sw engineering)

I have been working at Magnetic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This place is really great. What I like:
    - You can make a difference. Visibility and transparency from the top to bottom.
    - Technical level of Engineers is well above average. No deadwood.
    - Real money for training and conferences for every engineer
    - Unlimited PTO
    - Company ski trip in later winter and Atlantic city trip in summer
    - New office with standing/adjusting desks, if you want one.

Cons

not much to say here.

Fantastic place to work!

I have been working at Magnetic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone is personally invested in the success of the company and it shows. Work hard, play harder atmosphere with a real team mentality. Company has grown tons over the last 2 years but they've maintained our startup culture. Management cares about each employee's growth and success. Plenty of career advancement opportunities.

Cons

Nothing to say here really. I've very much enjoyed my experience here and hope things continue like they are!

Awesome company, great talented people, excellent place to develop your career

I have been working at Magnetic full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free snacks, beverages, no-policy time offs.

Fast paced growing company that you can make a difference at. A lot of bright people bringing ideas together that you can learn from. Balanced work/life. No micro-management. You are allowed to work at your own pace as long as tasks gets completed. Interesting and challenging problems that needs solving.

Cons

More streamlined training period. It is the nature of this business (adtech) that requires one to have a lot of context in order to work on different projects. As someone who has never worked in the advertising industry, it took quite a long time for me to be knowledgeable enough to become productive.

More social events especially for the different teams (engineering, marketing, etc.) to get to know other people more.

Waking up for work never felt so good.

Current Employee - Campaign Manager
    Current Employee - Campaign Manager

I have been working at Magnetic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the smartest and most fun people I've ever worked with. There are lots of soft benefits, including taking time-off without penalty, stocked snack shelves, casual dress code, and a wide-open floor plan where no one is stuck inside a cubicle or office. It helps keep conversation and ideas flowing. There is a lot of disciplined freedom with your work. No one is micro-managing over your shoulder, and you are free to experiment with tactics and strategies that may or may not help a campaign. Trial and error is embraced. Everyone works well together and is pretty tight-knit.

Cons

Not really a con, more nature of the industry: Monitoring campaign delivery and performance on the weekends is sometimes a necessity. More so when the start or end of the month is on a weekend, but even then it's only eating up a few minutes of your weekend time (under 30 minutes/day).

Everyone contributes to the success of the company

I have been working at Magnetic (more than an year)

Pros

The company is constantly innovating and expanding rapidly. Many opportunities to learn more about the industry and grow your career. Great atmosphere and fun start up culture. Flexible schedule and unlimited PTO. Lot's of happy hours, summer and winter getaways.

Cons

Nothing worth noting for me

Friendly environment, bright people, interesting work.

I have been working at Magnetic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Dynamic pace.Opportunity to make a difference.I am learning all the time - and sharing what I knew before.

Cons

Risk of being caught in a Nerf Gun cross-fire - but you can always shoot back!

Growing Startup

I have been working at Magnetic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Magnetic is a fast paced, growing company that is going places. It is still in "startup" mode and that means you have to be on your toes, willing to learn and taking on multiple projects.

The company has a great culture and hires based upon not only knowledge/work skills, but also personality and ability to fit in with office and team environment. Management is based on trust and once you prove yourself, there's a lot of freedom as long as you get the job done.

Cons

Like most modern companies, there really aren't "work hours" any more and you might have to work occasional nights and weekends. The "always available" mentality is present.

More communication.

Great company, excellent place to work and grow in your career.

I have been working at Magnetic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-- The CEO is very experienced, a great leader and has an evolving vision for the company that I feel good about. The upper management group overall is talented and working to see that vision through.
    -- Lots of smart people who can motivate you to challenge yourself and become better at what you do.
    -- Laid back but effective culture that produces solid results month after month and makes the office a fun place to work.
    -- Competitive salary, unlimited paid time-off. Free snacks, a couple of team trips each year. Work late when you need to, but that isn't the norm so there's a good work/life balance.
    -- The company is growing quickly so there are lots of opportunities to chart your own course and take on projects you're interested in.
    -- Magnetic has been able to consistently identify problems/shortcomings and overcome them.

Cons

-- Magnetic's challenges are generally the industry's challenges, so you'll encounter many of the same obstacles that you would in any ad tech company.

Keep up the good work!

Awesome so far!

Current Employee - Director In Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director In Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Magnetic full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've been at Magnetic for three months and have nothing but positive things to say.
    People: starting from the top the CEO is smart, articulate, motivating, and inclusive. I like the way he thinks.
    CRO has a great balance of work hard play hard mentality. He is constantly thinking about the business, how to improve what we're doing, but all with a great sense of humor.
    Team: everyone is focused on the tasks at hand, wants to succeed, but again have a great time doing it.
    Product: great differentiator from others with "Search Retargeting" focus. Real data partnerships, real Fortune 500 clients, and most importantly seeing results and spending more quarter over quarter.
    Perks- fully stocked kitchen, happy hours galore for every new employee, Atlantic City, ski trips, and unlimited vacation.

Cons

Nothing I can think of. Really.

Continue to innovate, think about how to differentiate in the space, and grow the company. I say "continue" because it's already being done.

Super Company. Collaborative Culture. Focused on All the Right Things For Continued Success

I have been working at Magnetic full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Appropriately balanced focused on maintaining a start-up culture/feel while investing in process and infrastructure for continued scale. Supremely focused CEO who instills a culture of collaboration. Office in a great part of NYC. General willingness to invest in all areas of the business. Cold brew coffee. Appropriate work/life balance. Mutual respect across all functional areas of the business an important characteristic of the management team, which trickles down.

Cons

Company is achieving scale such that some more structured training/orientations would be beneficial in order to continue to facilitate cross-functional collaboration (more a growing pain, than a con).