Mahalo.com

www.mahalo.com

Mahalo.com Reviews

2.3

Jason Calacanis

In the beginning everything was cool. At the end it became a nightmare.

Former Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

You work with great people. The perks where great (until they got rid of most of them). There is a lot of opportunities after Mahalo.

Cons

No direction. Pivoting every 6 months. Parking was a nightmare.

If Jason was the guy he was outside of the office, I think more people would enjoy their job.

They take advantage of recent graduates, overworked and underpaid

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant/Human Resources  in  Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant/Human Resources in Culver City, CA

Pros

The people who work here are awesome, a really fun, creative group of people

Cons

Upper management cuts corners to under pay their employees (which are SKILLED positions, Video editing, writing, motion graphics etc etc), and ALWAYS ends up letting people go when they start asking for raises.

Pay your employees well, and respect their talents and crafts.

Extremely negative work environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

Pros

-Great coworkers (you will make some life-long friendships here)
    -Laid-back work environment (t-shirts, jeans, sneakers, hats--anything goes)
    -Great benefits (out-of-pocket is between 0-15% of overall cost, depending on your coverage)
    -Plenty of parking
    -Washer and dryer on-site

Cons

-A demeaning and unprofessional leader of the company
    -A lot of hours for little pay
    -Location (an industrial-like area)

You will be micromanaged to the point that you wonder why you're even here (do NOT underestimate this). It is normal for employees to be humiliated, belittled, and cussed at by your boss with the entire office watching. Spare yourself the constant negativity and look elsewhere.

None. In such a negative environment, how can you inspire and motivate those who work for you? Failure is the only option at this point. After five years of trying to find something that works, it's obvious that the company is going nowhere.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not an Easy Job, But Rewarding

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

- A great team
    - Opportunity to learn a lot about the Web and technology startups
    - Lots of room for growth and advancement
    - Fast-paced work environment with lots of new challenges every day; it's never boring

I learned more in my first month at Mahalo than I have in years at other jobs. It was the first company at which I was given the opportunity to step up and take on more responsibility, for which I am extraordinarily grateful. As well, I made many friendships at Mahalo with amazing, talented colleagues that have continued to this day.

Cons

- General lack of focus, which can make the work frustrating
    - Difficulty setting/communicating priorities from senior management to employees, freelancers
    - Rigorous and demanding schedule

Mahalo can be a difficult place to work. The hours are demanding, the expectations are high (some might say unreasonable), the pressure is intense. Perhaps most challenging of all is the frequent shifting of priorities, goals and responsibilities, which can give work there a "1 step forward, 2 steps back" feeling. Overall, I had a worthwhile experience there, but it is not for everyone.

Mahalo could benefit from leadership listening to employees - not just hearing them out, but taking opinions seriously - and being more open to fresh ideas and perspectives. Often it feels as if the agenda is being set

Mahalo, the idea was good once upon a time.

Former Employee - Full Time Guide  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Full Time Guide in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

It's an internet startup with a lot of potential for growth. The free lunches were very nice.

Cons

Pretty much everything else. Treated very poorly. While they claim to listen to everyone, only maybe two or three people are listened to. There was once upon a time a "no meetings" policy that has been completely thrown out in favor of very private meetings on a daily basis. It's very obvious that they're trying to work many people to quit. Taking advantage of everyone's time and dedication.

Get back to your roots. Be sincere. Don't be hypocritical around the clock. Fire your editorial and video, or rather Marketing and Advertising, leads.

Great for flexibility, horrible work environment.

Pros

Mahalo offers flexibility on the job for life's little emergencies. Sick kid? No problem, go take them to the doctor. When you get back from the doctor though, be prepared to make up those hours, plus five for the trouble.

Cons

Working for Jason Calacanis is a nightmare. He comes up with horrible ideas, wants us to push them through, then "pivots" (fires people) when his new ideas don't meet financial expectations. There is a reason beds were in the building, along with showers, washers and dryers. Be expected to work overtime with no overtime pay.

Let your employees know they are a valued part of the company.

Great team! Great leaders!

Former Employee - Writer
    Former Employee - Writer

Pros

An entertaining team and many opportunities! Mahalo changed my life, because I worked only with the best! I learned and I've developed my skills!

Cons

Mahalo pivoted. It's not a con. I understand what Jason wanted and I appreciate the chance I had to work for them. I want them to go back to the old system but this won't happen. So, I'm good.

None. They do a great job!

Poor

Former Employee - Guru
    Former Employee - Guru

Pros

Flexible hours and you could answer as many questions as you want.

Cons

There was little to no communication with management and it was very disorganized. The pay was also very poor as well. There was also little motivation to do the work that was entailed due to poor management.

Have a better compensation and more personal communication with employees. Have room for growth and use motivation techniques to keep employees happy workers.

Worked for Mahalo.com? Contribute to the Community!