Maimonides Medical Center Reviews

Pam Brier

1. Good place to work and grow

Current Employee - Information Specialist in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Information Specialist in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Maimonides Medical Center part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Training , growth, teamwork, benefits, solid salary

Cons

Lack of communication with managers or supervisors

Instead of so many layoff try cutting back on funding for new buildings

2. Friendly environment working in the emergency department

I worked at Maimonides Medical Center

Pros

working here was amazing, I personally like fast paced work area because it makes the job more challenging. And not only do you feel good when you get the job done but you also feel good helping out patients.

Cons

Working in a fast paced work environment is quite challenging, and also in the beginning you do feel kind of lost as to where to find certain things the nurses or doctors asked for.

3. One pay three jobs.

I have been working at Maimonides Medical Center

Pros

Pays by the hour under the union. Good benefits from the union.

Cons

Literally I'm hitting my second year of working here at MMC and work just piles up. When I was hired as a temp for someone on maternity leave and when that person didn't come back I was hired at permanent part time 9-1pm M-F, as a physician's secretary. Now I have to cover each of my coworker's work whenever someone's on vaca and sick days on top of what I'm already doing. There are days where I really have to ask someone to cover my work for 2 mins to run to the bathroom. Can't take vacation because seniority has first dips, even holidays and whenever you want to transfer to another position within union, seniority gets first dips too. Dead end job...if you have a degree don't work here, I'm speaking for administrative work.

Hire more competent people and not the lazies and complainers who throws their work at someone else. Also someone computer savvy.

5. Ok to Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Maimonides Medical Center (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent Heath Benefits and Union

Cons

Personal Drama brought to work by Superiors

6. Great Place

Former Employee - Health Care Tech in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Health Care Tech in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Maimonides Medical Center

Pros

Wonderful place to work. Staff is amazingly helpful when you are new.

Cons

There aren't any cons that I can think of

7. Surgical Technologist Student

I worked at Maimonides Medical Center

Pros

Wonderful teaching hospital. All the preceptors were of great help to myself and my former colleagues as well. They were all dedicated to the profession and it transpired to there teaching skills.

Cons

Layout of the building was confusing to get from Ambulatory Center to the Main OR.

8. BI developer

I have been working at Maimonides Medical Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good Hospital to work, Good technology ,less turn over of employee.

Cons

In Technology department all project manager are Clinical Nurses.

Should have two managers, One for Functional and One for project in IT dept.

9. It can be better.......

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Maimonides Medical Center

Pros

Great Union Benefits, some consider the salary better than in other hospitals.

Cons

Too much hypocrisy between Management and Senior Staff that has been there for more than fifteen years. Senior Staff that has been there for more than fifteen years being allowed to do just one area of the job, and if a staff member is sick, on vacation, etc..... Management will not distribute the work amongst the staff so, the work is completed.
    In addition, if you speak another language besides English, you are expected to translate when you were hired you weren't asked if you spoke another language.

You may want to learn the jobs of all the staff to cover those areas if needed. Also, workers who can speak, or write another language Union and Management need to negotiate a contract that pays the staff a differential percentage then staff who only speaks English only.

10. Many good worker-bees/some middle mgrs, but 1 of most greed-driven, dysfuctional, irrational upper management ever

Former Employee - Healthcare Technoloy in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Healthcare Technoloy in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Maimonides Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many decent, kind, hard working worker-bees only attepting to get jobs done, w/very limited resources. My area had a few great middle mgrs.

Cons

Good workers continually undermined, sabotoged by the worst upper mgmt. Scheming, irrational CEO & many other of the same 'yes-men' dept heads despite reality that things sure to end badly. This organization has make very bad, questionable, unexplained (possibly illegal) finincial decisions resulting in financial disaster. This includes on-going firing/departure of tons of good workers past 3+ yrs.

Clean House starting with CEO who should have been 'retired' many years ago. All remaining mgmt, should immediatly start being openly honest, regurarly informing thier respective staffs ot the state of the organization...good or bad They're currently a complete failure at such leaderships functions. A warning to anyone considering employment at many of the depts in MMC should be aware, no matter how great a job you're doing, be advised this greedy organization will fire any non-management worker without reason and it will happen with less then hour of warning late on a Fri. Same mgmt then pretends the firing never occured. Do they really believe this is a sound strategy? This behavior is nothing more then personal greed, petty politics & thier own useless CYA games, This 'strategy' is clearly going on to-date in order for a few overpaid upper mgmt hacks to cling on to thier high priced jobs long past thier past due date.. There've been credible reports MMC will be swallowed by some larger Health Care organization, as they continue to bleed red ink for the 4th yr..

After these unexplained disapperanes, rest of affected staff only becomes aware when co-workers vanishes week after week.. Unless drastic changes are made at the top of this 'food chain' and those who remain in positions of real power over others are even capable of dramatic change, sadly this organization that sincerly has some great potential will not survive, at least in it's current form much longer.

11. pharm intern

Former Intern - Pharmacy Intern in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Intern - Pharmacy Intern in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Maimonides Medical Center as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

its a great jon for personal growth

Cons

its challenging at times with people management

none