Maimonides Medical Center

www.maimonidesmed.org

Maimonides Medical Center Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014
Maimonides Medical Center – Brooklyn – “Maimonides Medical Center”

Maimonides Medical Center President and CEO Pam Brier

Pam Brier

Great place to work

ProsGreat coworkers, high pay, good experience

ConsPatients can get annoying sometimes

Do not value hard work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsNone at all. You can come with a big heart, but hard work is not enough.

ConsToo much politics and the upper management has no respect for employees. Politics even affect the normal course of routine decisions

Advice to Senior ManagementPut people in path to grow. Listen to the technical people you hire. You hire them for a purpose, not just say Yes to everything to say. There is no need to ask for advice if at the end, you never listen anyway

Research Coordinator

Research Coordinator (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsI learned an enormous amount when working at Maimonides. The patient population is diverse making everyday an adventure. There are many opportunities to learn. The majority of the staff was very nice and helpful.

ConsMy direct supervisor who is quite high up in the hierarchy, was abusive and difficult throughout my sojourn. Even worse was her secretary, who was actually running the show. I was promised an abundance of help when I began working at Maimonides and received none of it. I was however, criticized quite often along the way, almost to the point of producing tears. The people with whom I worked seemed to think that work/life balance was not important.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep an eye on staff that is not in the main hospital.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ok place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosdiverse patient population gives you access to learn about many cultures and meet people from all parts of the world

Conslong hours and huge patient load can be overwhelming

Good colleagues, eccentric leadership, but poised for greatness

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsSome wonderful people work at Maimonides because they sincerely want to make a real difference in the world. Many docs who could be working at NYU or NYP stay at Maimonides because they like the diversity of patients and the unique Brooklyn vibe. Strong in cancer and cardiac, rivaling the big academic medical centers in Manhattan. Profitable for last 10 years.

ConsThe CEO. Pam Brier has stayed on too long and no one has the heart to tell her. She makes many irrational decisions and often pits staff against each other by spinning the truth. Bulk of other senior admin are at, or close to, retirement age, so there is a strong sense that many VPs are hanging on until they hit 65. Likely to be a lot of turnover in the C-suite in the next two years. If you are considering Maimonides for your residency, however, you won't regret going there. Never a dull moment but in a good way.

Advice to Senior ManagementBite the bullet and allow Brier to leave gracefully. Maimonides will never grow as much or as fast as it needs to with her in the driver's seat. Put more time and effort into connecting with "regular" staff. They are your best asset.

Nice Hospital to work

Director Clinical Documentation Integrity & CodingCompliance (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsEmployee centered , Good place to work and learn

ConsOutside vendors and contractors sometimes more influance than inside employees.

Good but tough

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

Prosgood benefits and compensation the chance to make a real difference

Consextremely demanding, loud and diverse in the heart of one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the world

just an fyi ....

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAlot of great people work here, its easy to make lasting friendships.

Consthis hospital is notorious for letting people go without warning, written notice or just laying you off every two years. noone is safe. and there isnt any advocacy for temps or new employees. managment is useless in this area unfortunately.

Advice to Senior Managementreconsider what diversity means, you currently are too black and white literally . there isnt enouph true diversity.

Poor Management, Nobody cares about patients

Information Specialist (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsPros: Some perks (discounts, movie tickets) on the MMC intranet.

ConsIt's mainly about who you know and not your skill set. Extremely poor management - doing things on the clock which do not pertain to the job. They push tasks off to others instead of handling themselves. Most employees working at MMC are only there for a paycheck. MMC is almost like a high school.

Summer paid volunteer

Summer Volunteer (Former Employee)

ProsSuperiors are nice
    flexible work
    professional environment

Consnot much to learn
    really low salary

Worked for Maimonides Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!