www.maimonidesmed.org

Updated August 30, 2014
3.1

Maimonides Medical Center President and CEO Pam Brier
Pam Brier

Fantastic work environment, engaging and diverse population and co workers.

Current Employee - Clinical Social Worker in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Clinical Social Worker in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Maimonides Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits, great colleagues and short commute. Cultural diversity and serious commitment to ethical practice. Great learning environment with an open perspective on critique and suggestions for improvement.

Cons

work load which is in part due to new medical practice laws and pushed by insurance companies and Medicaid. The bureaucracy is maddening.

work to hire more employees and train administrative staff as well as promote their education.

Union is the big plus

Current Employee - Sleep Tech in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Sleep Tech in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Maimonides Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The only reason I work for this hospital is Union benefits. We have 1199 SEIU Hospital Workers Union which is one of the best unions in New York. City.

Cons

No room for advancement. Management doesn't encourage the staff to grow within the company.

Encourage the advancement of employees.

A facility trying to grow into the premier hospital of Brooklyn

I have been working at Maimonides Medical Center full-time

Pros

I think Maimonides is trying to grow and develop a more open culture, but for now the pros include: decent salary and benefits,strong community ties, and it is one of the most successful independent hospitals in Brooklyn

Cons

There is a lot wrong here. A lot of the staff have been here for 10 years plus and are not the most welcoming to new hires and there isn't a lot of structured training. It is a sink or swim environment. I think upper management has good vision, but they don't necessarily have strong, well thought out plans to carry out that vision. There is a lot of lip service to investing in growth and development, but not a lot in place to make that happen. Only sign on if you feel confident in figuring things out for yourself. Also, Boro Park is desolate neighborhood to work in

Put more into staff development! There are so many dedicated people who have become disgruntled over the years because they feel unappreciated.

Do not value hard work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Maimonides Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None at all. You can come with a big heart, but hard work is not enough.

Cons

Too much politics and the upper management has no respect for employees. Politics even affect the normal course of routine decisions

Put people in path to grow. Listen to the technical people you hire. You hire them for a purpose, not just say Yes to everything to say. There is no need to ask for advice if at the end, you never listen anyway

Great place to work

I have been working at Maimonides Medical Center

Pros

Great coworkers, high pay, good experience

Cons

Patients can get annoying sometimes

Research Coordinator

Former Employee - Research Coordinator in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Research Coordinator in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Maimonides Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I learned an enormous amount when working at Maimonides. The patient population is diverse making everyday an adventure. There are many opportunities to learn. The majority of the staff was very nice and helpful.

Cons

My direct supervisor who is quite high up in the hierarchy, was abusive and difficult throughout my sojourn. Even worse was her secretary, who was actually running the show. I was promised an abundance of help when I began working at Maimonides and received none of it. I was however, criticized quite often along the way, almost to the point of producing tears. The people with whom I worked seemed to think that work/life balance was not important.

Keep an eye on staff that is not in the main hospital.

Good colleagues, eccentric leadership, but poised for greatness

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Maimonides Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some wonderful people work at Maimonides because they sincerely want to make a real difference in the world. Many docs who could be working at NYU or NYP stay at Maimonides because they like the diversity of patients and the unique Brooklyn vibe. Strong in cancer and cardiac, rivaling the big academic medical centers in Manhattan. Profitable for last 10 years.

Cons

The CEO. Pam Brier has stayed on too long and no one has the heart to tell her. She makes many irrational decisions and often pits staff against each other by spinning the truth. Bulk of other senior admin are at, or close to, retirement age, so there is a strong sense that many VPs are hanging on until they hit 65. Likely to be a lot of turnover in the C-suite in the next two years. If you are considering Maimonides for your residency, however, you won't regret going there. Never a dull moment but in a good way.

Bite the bullet and allow Brier to leave gracefully. Maimonides will never grow as much or as fast as it needs to with her in the driver's seat. Put more time and effort into connecting with "regular" staff. They are your best asset.

ok place to work

I worked at Maimonides Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

diverse patient population gives you access to learn about many cultures and meet people from all parts of the world

Cons

long hours and huge patient load can be overwhelming

Nice Hospital to work

Current Employee - Director Clinical Documentation Integrity & CodingCompliance in New York, NY

I have been working at Maimonides Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employee centered , Good place to work and learn

Cons

Outside vendors and contractors sometimes more influance than inside employees.

Good but tough

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Maimonides Medical Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good benefits and compensation the chance to make a real difference

Cons

extremely demanding, loud and diverse in the heart of one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the world

Maimonides Medical Center Photos