Main Event

manager

Current Employee - Manager  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Main Event full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

fun, friendly work environment with plenty room for growth

Cons

very limited time off. And too many long hours

invest in the work life balalce

Bowl desk employee

Current Employee - Guest Service Representative  in  Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Main Event part-time for less than a year

Pros

Experience with a restaurant which will lead me a better job. 50% off discount. Good hours most of the time.

Cons

Management!!!! My experience at Main Event is one I wouldn't wish upon anyone. Had I known employee / management affairs would be acceptable I would have never applied here. When you continuously have to feel uncomfortable around them and know an affair is going on also witnessing them flirting in front of guests, hanging out in the parking lot together, the employee getting in the car with the manager and they drive off only to have him drop her off in front of her car later in front of employees! This employee later got promoted but if you ask the higher managers they will say this had no factor in her promotion. Also, saying your uncomfortable in your work place and bringing it to the managers attention along with others coming forward wasn't enough for them to investigate. It was okay to just look the other way like nothing happened. I am embarrassed to say I worked for this company and have told others to avoid an application to here at all costs.

I think it's easy to figure out based off my cons.

Great Opportunity

I have been working at Main Event

Pros

The company is growing faster than it can hire. This allows us as employees to wear many hats and gain a tremendous amount of experience in a short amount of time. No other company could offer this. The management is awesome. I'm inspired every day because they are right there with us working just as many hours and just as hard.

Cons

Work/ life is hard to balance with the sometimes overwhelming amount of projects and initiatives and above all... very tight deadlines.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's like a blind man lead by a blind seeing dog

Current Employee - Bowl Desk  in  Roswell, GA
    Current Employee - Bowl Desk in Roswell, GA

I have been working at Main Event as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

It's honestly fun to work there, The people , Game cards and discounts, weekly pay, lots of room to grow, Better then most min wage jobs

Cons

ISSUE AFTER ISSUE with scheduling!!! Highly dis-organized training ... We had a trainer yell and threat a group of trainees for being outside when we were told to be out there , Mangers are slow to respond or react to employees needs.

Fair and on time scheduling, better support network , Re think training system very off putting

Life at Main Event

Current Employee - Bowl Attendant
    Current Employee - Bowl Attendant

I have been working at Main Event full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you want to work your way up in the company, there is much encouragement to do so. You can start at any position, come in with a good attitude, help train at new centers opening across the country (the company spread outside of Texas just last year, and is planning to grow many, many new centers over the next five years), become a floor supervisor, and eventually a manager. If you want it, you can make it. There are bi-annual reviews, yearly raise opportunities, employee parties and a "MyRewards" program that give you the opportunity to earn prizes and gift cards for doing a good job.

Depending on the section of the building you work in (Games, Bowl, Cafe, etc.), the work can become monotonous, but your coworkers will be the reason you enjoy the job. For the most part, they tend to hire happy, well-balanced people that enjoy helping others have a good time, and they can become true, outside-of-work friends in the long run.

The pay could be better, but it's competitive with other entry-level service-industry jobs (some departments more than others). It's also neigh-impossible to get fired, unless you put absolutely zero effort into it. And perhaps its cheesy, since people go to Main Event to have a good time (especially when family is visiting from out of town), having folks come up to you personally and say that they enjoyed their time and will be returning, or seeing those regulars come in week after week and recognize you for the good job you do, is just an all-around great feeling.

Cons

It comes with all the cons of the service industry--the work can be tedious and boring, the guests can be belligerent, it's either breakneck or incredibly slow, and sometimes the different departments don't see eye to eye. Multiple managers means multiple ways of doing tasks, and you have to keep tabs on which managers are working so that you know what things to prioritize. There is a HUGE focus on teamwork, and having even one coworker call in sick, not do their job or come with a poor attitude can create problems for MULTIPLE departments.

Sometimes, the managers are quick to recognize faults and slow to recognize good deeds. And many, many times there is a lack of consistent accountability--one day, everyone can show up 10-15 minutes late and nothing is said, and the next one person can show up five minutes late and be written up.

The job may not be fulfilling in the long run if you have no plans to move up.

Please standardize your requirements for the staff amongst yourselves. Having consistent feedback on both what we're doing right and wrong, as well as keeping everyone accountable to the same requirements, would go a long way in making sure people knew what must be done in order to succeed.

Could be worse

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Main Event full-time for more than a year

Pros

Family like staff, decent pay

Cons

Not a good work/life balance, promotions,

There are employees and managers who would love nothing more than to see this company skyrocket, but there are people on the corporate level who hold grudges and treat people so disrespectfully that we would just rather walk away. Train up what you have instead of hiring the guy who ran a pizza hut this one time. Loyalty is leaving quickly

Unorganized

Former Employee - Server  in  Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Server in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Main Event part-time for less than a year

Pros

They say they offer great benefits ( tuition reimbursement, flexible schedules, group benefits, team member comps. and recognition) just to name a few.

Cons

I just started with them and have already quit halfway through training. I applied for shift supervisor and event coordinator. The manager explained to me that I would make more money serving. I agreed with him and was hired as a server, and attended my first orientation. During the initial orientation we were told we would have a second orientation on Father's Day. The Father's Day orientation was for a lack of better words redundant the only difference was multiple icebreakers, which were questionable. They then showed us a projection screen of our itinerary for the upcoming week ( Mon-Sun). They also stated we needed to be in full uniform for those days; servers needed to get there pouring license ($50) too. They also let us know for the Mon and Tues training there was an am ( 10-2) and pm(6-10); whichever one we chose you had to stay in. On the first day of training we were split into groups and rotated through different material. In Micros training we discussed tips and they were very admit ( especially the CEO) about entering only the total and not the tip amount ( ie if a guest gets the total wrong and its more go less if its less then stay less). When we were about to leave the Trainers told us to be back at our PM time, but we had also received an email giving us an earlier PM time. They collectively agreed ( after everyone groaned and moaned) on the initial Pm time. We then asked the trainers for the rest of the week itinerary they stated they didn't have it and would have to ask Kenny. . They also handed out our Hot Schedule login only to run out halfway through ( side note I spoke with one of the trainers about not being able to come on a specified date and they questioned me why couldn't I come. My thoughts on this is if you give someone a schedule a day before what do you expect). On Tuesday's training we didn't train instead we opened up the shipment they received and cleaned. this cleaning consisted of wiping off games, moving furniture, wiping tables, cleaning salt shakers for the tables, and much more. Before Wednesday's training I expressed my concerns with the bar manager ( he has been the main manager emailing information needed) and service manager ( only met him at the icebreaker orientation) about how I wanted to switch out of the department due to it being unorganized and I was overqualified ( I've been a server, trainer and mgr). He stated to me he couldn't switch me and that I would have to wait 2-3 weeks after opening ( this meant I would still have to get a permit for 2-3 weeks). Then they would cross train me for another position. They also stated they really needed servers and tried to sell me on the servers make more money. When we arrived for Wednesday's training (2pm-10pm) they told us we were not allowed to bring in any outside food or drinks, due to a health inspection between the hours of 2-5pm. I asked a Trainer what did they have to offer to drink and how would they execute breaks; he stated they had room temp. bottled water and he would have to check back about breaks. Training started off a little discombobulated, because the Am people trained on Tuesday and the PM people unpacked. ( side bar: while walking to a destination one of the higher ups tells the gentlemen to take his hands out of his pockets; makes no since to me) The trainers tried to split us up to the best of their ability to play catch up. We had an hour lunch and when we came back the trainers still specified no outside food or drinks. to our dismay the trainers came in with outside drinks.( side bar: After lunch the trainers stated they had been at work since 9/10 am without a break and they had to be there til 10pm/ unti we leave) At this point in time I was mentally over it! I let the trainer know I quit and on Friday I receive a call from the service manager asking me why I haven't made it in to work.

In conclusion they hire high school and young college kids, because they will take B.S. My first job in high school was nothing like this and I feel sorry for them.

Management and trainers should be on the same accord; I feel that's what stemmed most of the confusion ( to many chiefs and not enough indians). If possible have the managers of each department speak in some of the trainings (most of the servers had no clue what the service mgr looked like}. If you are opening another center hire a crew to do the unpacking and set up. I think the new staff should spend as much time learning and enjoying what the company has to offer. If you have experienced servers, don't have them sit through the 101's of serving. Also, instead of rushing to have a center open before the end of a fiscal year take time to make sure not only your staff, but management are properly trained and working together as a team ( which is one of your values)..

Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - NCO Trainer  in  Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - NCO Trainer in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Main Event full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible hours, growing rapidly, FUN environment, great staff members (coworkers and management), traveling to new locations, personal growth, and all the awesome discounts and benefits!

Main Event has been a great job and now a career for me. The management staff has always had my best interest in mind and I couldn't be more grateful.

Cons

Learning how to transition into a nationwide company rather than just in the state of Texas has been a little rocky but nothing we can't fix.

Be open minded to new concepts that will better our growth rather than clinging on to the older ways that worked when we were a smaller company.

Server

Current Employee - Server  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Server in Houston, TX

I have been working at Main Event part-time

Pros

Great tips depending on your service to customers. If you want to work in the restaurant business, this is definitely the place to learn the good and the bad.

Cons

No work/life balance, high turnover rate, terrible scheduling, no motivation amongst other servers. I feel at this point, there should be more organization with the scheduling. The way the managers treat the servers is very poor, seeing as though servers get paid the least, servers are the ones with the majority of the workload.

Customer Service Rep

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Main Event part-time for less than a year

Pros

- flexible hours
    -50% off of bowling and pool is always nice
    - most employees are nice to work with.
    - they allow you to have a drink(non-alcoholic) while working, which is free (most discourage)

Cons

- Inexperienced management, who think they can speak to employees like they are trash.

- Hiring high school students is a negative sometimes because they have a poor work ethic (which results in me going home in intense pain from doing the job of two people)

- No room for advancement (promotion) it takes more than 3 years to get a promotion.

- The company is in the process of restructuring meaning my job is going to get a name change, include server duties and then I will receive a pay cut where I will make less than min wage.

- The pay is basic (7.25 as a regular, and I believe 2.15 if you're a server). It's proven that a person cannot survive off of 7.25 an hour, you are a multi-million dollar company who CAN afford to pay their employees more and instead you are deciding to cut pay.

- The management won't let us do simple changes to make the work flow faster; example: numbering the tables at the bowling lanes so guests know which they are assigned. Many guests are very verbal when you tell them they need to switch tables.

- The company needs to hiring a sweeping crew for the parking lot. I was almost hit several times. It was not one of our guests but ones from the bar next door that almost hit me.

- There is an issue with favoritism/fraternization, regular employees should not be buddies with management staff let alone have them on their Facebook pages.

Enforce training for all managers every year, also you should be paying employees more than 7.25 , not ever employee is in high school and living with their parents.

Worked for Main Event? Contribute to the Community!