www.maineventusa.com

Charlie Keegan

Great fun atmosphere

Former Employee - Cook in Warrenville, IL
    Former Employee - Cook in Warrenville, IL

I worked at Main Event full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Family Orientated, flexible scheduling, and internal promotions

Cons

long hours, brand new company in a crowded space

better communication between departments

The job kept me busy and on my feet constantly.

Former Employee - Banquet Server in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Banquet Server in Frisco, TX

I worked at Main Event part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company offers a great environment to work in. Mostly because the coworkers are helpful and friendly. Everyone there was willing to help in someway if I was unsure of how to perform certain tasks.

Cons

Guests can be obnoxious/rude.
    Organization can be off at times.
    Kitchen was not large enough to accommodate the size of the building.

Try to organize employees to fit the busiest times of the day/week. Keep tools/items in specific areas so that they are easy to find and bring to guests. Make sure all employees understand how important it is to keep the building clean and organized so that the guests have the best possible experience.

If you need a quick source of income

I have been working at Main Event part-time

Pros

paid weekly, friendly co-worker that will become friends outside of work

Cons

long shifts, lack of manager support when dealing with rude guest

Former Employee - Bowl Attendant in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Bowl Attendant in Plano, TX

I worked at Main Event part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun coworkers and was overall a fun place to work at for my first job

Cons

Not paid enough for what you do

respect coworkers

manager

Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Main Event full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

fun, friendly work environment with plenty room for growth

Cons

very limited time off. And too many long hours

invest in the work life balalce

You will be selling your soul if you take a job here... Don't get sucked in. You will regret it.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Main Event full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro to this awful place is that your birthday is considered a holiday if you are a full time employee. I can't think of anything else.

Cons

Highly political and advancement is not based on merit. If you are one that can play the game you have a chance to grow your career. Everyone is out for themselves. Zero concern for work-life balance.....zero. They will work you to exhaustion without concern. They are all talk- they could care less about the well being of their employees. Extremely unorganized- concept will crumble. It is only a matter of time because they can't get new openings organized. It is a disaster!

You can be all things to all people. Pick 1 thing and do it well. Right now you do everything mediocre at best. Is it birthdays? Is it corporate? Is it steak and salmon? Is it burgers, kids meals, and video games? You can't be all things. It is not working for you at all.

Bowl desk employee

Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Main Event part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Experience with a restaurant which will lead me a better job. 50% off discount. Good hours most of the time.

Cons

Management!!!! My experience at Main Event is one I wouldn't wish upon anyone. Had I known employee / management affairs would be acceptable I would have never applied here. When you continuously have to feel uncomfortable around them and know an affair is going on also witnessing them flirting in front of guests, hanging out in the parking lot together, the employee getting in the car with the manager and they drive off only to have him drop her off in front of her car later in front of employees! This employee later got promoted but if you ask the higher managers they will say this had no factor in her promotion. Also, saying your uncomfortable in your work place and bringing it to the managers attention along with others coming forward wasn't enough for them to investigate. It was okay to just look the other way like nothing happened. I am embarrassed to say I worked for this company and have told others to avoid an application to here at all costs.

I think it's easy to figure out based off my cons.

Great Opportunity

I have been working at Main Event

Pros

The company is growing faster than it can hire. This allows us as employees to wear many hats and gain a tremendous amount of experience in a short amount of time. No other company could offer this. The management is awesome. I'm inspired every day because they are right there with us working just as many hours and just as hard.

Cons

Work/ life is hard to balance with the sometimes overwhelming amount of projects and initiatives and above all... very tight deadlines.

It's like a blind man lead by a blind seeing dog

Current Contractor - Bowl Desk in Roswell, GA
    Current Contractor - Bowl Desk in Roswell, GA

I have been working at Main Event as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

It's honestly fun to work there, The people , Game cards and discounts, weekly pay, lots of room to grow, Better then most min wage jobs

Cons

ISSUE AFTER ISSUE with scheduling!!! Highly dis-organized training ... We had a trainer yell and threat a group of trainees for being outside when we were told to be out there , Mangers are slow to respond or react to employees needs.

Fair and on time scheduling, better support network , Re think training system very off putting

Life at Main Event

Current Employee - Bowl Attendant
    Current Employee - Bowl Attendant

I have been working at Main Event full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you want to work your way up in the company, there is much encouragement to do so. You can start at any position, come in with a good attitude, help train at new centers opening across the country (the company spread outside of Texas just last year, and is planning to grow many, many new centers over the next five years), become a floor supervisor, and eventually a manager. If you want it, you can make it. There are bi-annual reviews, yearly raise opportunities, employee parties and a "MyRewards" program that give you the opportunity to earn prizes and gift cards for doing a good job.

Depending on the section of the building you work in (Games, Bowl, Cafe, etc.), the work can become monotonous, but your coworkers will be the reason you enjoy the job. For the most part, they tend to hire happy, well-balanced people that enjoy helping others have a good time, and they can become true, outside-of-work friends in the long run.

The pay could be better, but it's competitive with other entry-level service-industry jobs (some departments more than others). It's also neigh-impossible to get fired, unless you put absolutely zero effort into it. And perhaps its cheesy, since people go to Main Event to have a good time (especially when family is visiting from out of town), having folks come up to you personally and say that they enjoyed their time and will be returning, or seeing those regulars come in week after week and recognize you for the good job you do, is just an all-around great feeling.

Cons

It comes with all the cons of the service industry--the work can be tedious and boring, the guests can be belligerent, it's either breakneck or incredibly slow, and sometimes the different departments don't see eye to eye. Multiple managers means multiple ways of doing tasks, and you have to keep tabs on which managers are working so that you know what things to prioritize. There is a HUGE focus on teamwork, and having even one coworker call in sick, not do their job or come with a poor attitude can create problems for MULTIPLE departments.

Sometimes, the managers are quick to recognize faults and slow to recognize good deeds. And many, many times there is a lack of consistent accountability--one day, everyone can show up 10-15 minutes late and nothing is said, and the next one person can show up five minutes late and be written up.

The job may not be fulfilling in the long run if you have no plans to move up.

Please standardize your requirements for the staff amongst yourselves. Having consistent feedback on both what we're doing right and wrong, as well as keeping everyone accountable to the same requirements, would go a long way in making sure people knew what must be done in order to succeed.