Main Street Hub Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014
Updated August 26, 2014

3.9

Andrew Allison & Matt Stuart

Pros
  • You will also make a lot of money along the way (in 6 reviews)

• No matter what work is work, but at MSH they give you an opportunity to make a lot of money, if you can figure out the sale (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management claims to care about employees, but will fire them at the drop of a hat (in 7 reviews)

• There is not room for growth or personal development (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

If you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Current Employee - Local Marketing Consultant  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Local Marketing Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time for less than a year

Pros

In all honesty, this place is entirely what you make of it. If you come in here with an open mind, a thirst for success and unbridled ambition, then you're going to be more than just fine. But, if you enter this job with no work ethic, no ability to take constructive criticism and the desire to merely coast off the base salary, you might as well show yourself to the door. This is sales. You should always be looking for room to improve yourself. In my opinion, most of the negative reviews on here are from disgruntled employees that didn't have what it takes to excel in a competitive, but at the same time supportive, work environment. It's a high energy atmosphere where people play as hard as they work. You have the ability to make a lot of money and some good friends along the way. And because they're only going to keep growing, you have the opportunity to grow with them.

Cons

It's cold call sales. It's tough. People are rude. You get hung up on, treated like a nuisance or even yelled at. But, again ... it's cold calling! It's the same anywhere at an entry level position such as this. Until you can demonstrate your knowledge and skill in handling the product, warm leads won't find their way into your pipeline.

I'm totally satisfied with my experience here in the Austin office. Help is all around you, but you have to be willing to ask.

Challenging environment with room to develop and make an impact

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time for more than a year

Pros

Creativity is valued very highly when it comes to the Community Management team -- having a chance to push yourself and get/give feedback is awesome. There's room to develop and grow, and you can see the impact you're making on local businesses. Speaking up is encouraged. The culture is very tight-knit, where your coworkers and managers challenge you to do better, think bigger, and push harder. All of the above creates a very dynamic, fulfilling work environment.

Cons

As a start-up, some processes aren't fleshed out, but I have no doubt we'll figure that out as we grow -- growing pains are to be expected.

Continue to welcome constructive dissent and the endeavor to be as transparent as possible.

No Training? No Problem. In 3 Months you will be warned.

Former Employee - Social Media Sales Associate  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Social Media Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time for less than a year

Pros

You are told you will have benefits, paid vacation, Stock options, but you have to survive the first 3 months after no training whatsoever.

Cons

3 days of training, and that;s it. One manager for every Thirty-Five Employees. MSH hired/hires more employees than they do managers.

Find more of you. Cause one manager per 35 employees doesn't cut it, I never even had a One on One, my manager had a temper and was constantly playing with her top representatives.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Avoid this place at all costs! Modern day slave ship.

Former Employee - Social Media Sales Associate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Social Media Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time for less than a year

Pros

This place is a joke. You will meet some cool people here. There are tons of snacks and booze. Ping pong table. Chill dress code.

Cons

No perks, awful benefits. The script is long. The leads suck. You are micro managed. No one wants or needs this service. It's not even SaaS because it is not software. People quit everyday. I made a game of betting on who would quit next. Managers are arrogant and overworked. If you did not hit quota, you will be expected to get in early, work late and come in on weekends. They will hire anyone here. I worked with a guy with a full on neck tattoo. The starting salary is 35k. Don't think you'll be living in SF off that. OTE is maybe 60k and I say that generously. No one ever hits. The environment is disheartening and demotivating. Someone told me they are going public soon...yea right, I surely hope not. Work someplace else, even pan handle, you'll enjoy it more. Come back late from lunch 1 minute? You'll be talked to. This is not a place for adults. Everyone quits, even managers. No job security. Surprised they are still around! Can't believe they even have funding. Turnover is atrocious. You may get hired as an ex con. Revolving door. All of the good reviews are from employees they made write them.

Listen to your employees. Quit lying. Be transparent. Promote within. Pay a decent salary. You are the lowest paying company in SF by far. None of your employees can even afford to live in SF.

Hard work

Current Employee - Local Marketing Consultant  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Local Marketing Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Money good People

Cons

Hard work a lots of down time.

DO NOT WORK HERE UNLESS YOU HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE!!!

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time for less than a year

Pros

You get a pay check (a small one at that). The people that you work with are cool and for the most part helpful. The environment is upbeat and energetic. Management really knows how to BS you into thinking this is a great job - lol - so when you start you are actually excited....... but see the continuation below.... People that have been there 4+ months REALLY are helpful... but also see more on that below ....
    The product is actually something people can use and need.

Cons

The base salary is pathetic - picture Boiler Room but with no pay. Like was said earlier, management does a great job of pumping you up BEFORE you actually start to really work/ get on the phones - and make it sounds like once you get things down you will be banking several G's if not more per month in salary. After all reps that have been there several months can do it - why not you - right?
    Nothing could be further from the truth.
    Maybe at one point the leads they received were useful/ interested but that time has gone. Now leads are just recycled over and over off of original leads that have been called on not even 4 months prior. So it is guaranteed that you will be getting leads that have already been attempted to be contacted. The leads essentially are just taken off of Google plus and funneled to the reps with out any real filtering process. Often times corporate chains are listed as your leads in many cases (the solution is geared toward individual SMB owners). In addition the call script is VERY long and complicated - and god forbid you try to deviate from it, management's great coaching advise is to "stick to the script".
    O and when I mentioned before about the reps that have been there a while doing well - there is dirty secret as to why - THEY GET WARM LEADS. That's right, the reps that have been there 6+ months get warm leads; leads that have come off of the website or from trade shows - people that wish to be contacted and hear about the product. So it looks like there are these great reps in each office - but 80% of what they closed are hand fed to them. What you get is one of the highest turn over rates of a company I have ever seen. They hire in groups of people which makes it seem as though they are growing fast - but the reality is far worse - over 60% of the group they hire each month will quit within two months. Take my class - when I left (for a far better paying job) not even half of my original group of people I started with were still there.
    Also management does not have time to coach you as they promise (more below).
    It literally takes 3-4 weeks for new reps to get ONE SALE - and when they do after all of that hard work they get a sickly 250 dollars - whoa - don't blow it all in one place.
    A word on growth - there really isn't any where to go either. When you get hired they brag about how there is all this room for advancement - but advancement to where? To be a slave driving manger or continue to be a phone monkey (who gets slightly more money - and i mean SLIGHTLY: 3k annually raise in base BUT you have to hit your goal of 3 months IN A ROW - which no new hired people had done that I had seen.

Increase your base salary and back off the metrics pushing. Get more coaches or turn the reps that have been there a while into full time coaches and give them a higher salary (MUCH higher if you want to keep them; believe me they will not have a lack or work). Come up with some other form of variable compensation as well - because reps are starving or quitting by the time they get a sale.

Good place to work while you look for a real job. If you are looking for a career - this is not the place.

Former Employee - Senior Inside Sales Representative  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time for less than a year

Pros

Office and environment is upbeat and positive. Everyone is pretty cool and helpful (co-workers). They do a good job of making you feel special if you do any little thing. They have a kitchen with free snacks and a good location downtown that has great access to places to eat and have happy hour after this nightmare of a day.

The variable comp plan at first glance seems good.. more on that below.

The product is actually pretty smart and every small business could benefit from it - however the average business owner is still ignorant to the internet and the power of social media. The price point is pretty good too.

Cons

Pay - worst pay I have ever gotten - given the work that is expected. DO NOT WORK HERE if you have a family or plans to own a house. Your children will starve and your house will get foreclosed on. They expect at least 100 calls a day, which is not horrible but its the TYPE of calls that wear you down. The leads are horrible - the worst I have ever seen, and here is why. They are not new leads. At this point in the company they are reusing the same leads over and over again with the hopes that maybe if some one new calls them it will change the business owner's mind or some one else will be in charge.

At first glance it appears as though the script is well thought out - which it is.... however it is VERY LONG and VERY COMPLEX by the end of a presentation (should you be lucky enough to get a business owner to commit for that long) they just want to get off the phone.

The biggest and honestly sickest part of any of this - is that the more tenured reps get leads that come from the customer's request! That means for a very select few who have been there long enough get leads that are pretty much guaranteed to close because the business owner is asking about the business and how MainStreetHub can help them. This creates a HUGE smoke screen of what is real and what is not. There are all these new reps that are hired each month and see these tenured reps putting up these great sales figures (more on that coming) .. however its all a LIE. The few reps that have been there 6+ months get lay up for sales that are hand fed to them by management and come from customer requests off of the website or some other media outreach.

New reps take weeks to make a single sale. So you better have some money saved up before you start here.

A word on management - they micromanage the heck out of you. They claim they want to coach you and are really concerned about your success, but this is just more BS. They are so busy they never have time to give any really good feedback unless its to fire you.

A final word on advancement - there really isn't any. You can become a higher paid sales/ phone robot - but you have to hit quota month after month for a whole YEAR!!- which I did not see while I was there. What's the other option? to become a slave driving manager where you just tell people to get on the phone all day and yell at them to "get more demos'' in the afternoon - no thank you.

Increase your base pay !!! you seem to have talented people - if you want to keep them PAY THEM. Focus more on getting better leads. Leads that are not corporations or large chains AND SPEAK ENGLISH. NEW LEADS TOO. Not leads that have been called 10 times over the past year.

It's been great!

I have been working at Main Street Hub

Pros

Definitely the best part is the culture. We work hard, but also play hard. Really fun.

Cons

SOmetimes it feels like we are working a little bit too much...expectations are very high

Decent company, be prepared for a lot of dialing.

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time for less than a year

Pros

Laid back office environment, good people, potential to make a decent amount of money. Performance based sales promotions.

Cons

Repetitive meetings that aren't always that helpful. A lot of turnover, but that is to be expected in a sales job. Very repetitive, reading the same pitch day after day.

Frustrating

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time for less than a year

Pros

Opportunity, snacks, lunches, team building projects

Cons

Lacking of training and management in sales area.

Develop a sales training curriculum and make managers accountable to sales team

Worked for Main Street Hub? Contribute to the Community!