Main Street Hub

Updated October 6, 2014
3.7

Main Street Hub Co-Founder & Co-CEO Andrew Allison & Matt Stuart
Andrew Allison & Matt Stuart

Pros
  • You will also make a lot of money along the way (in 6 reviews)

• No matter what work is work, but at MSH they give you an opportunity to make a lot of money, if you can figure out the sale (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management claims to care about employees, but will fire them at the drop of a hat (in 9 reviews)

• There is not room for growth or personal development (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work while you look for a real job. If you are looking for a career - this is not the place.

Former Employee - Senior Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Office and environment is upbeat and positive. Everyone is pretty cool and helpful (co-workers). They do a good job of making you feel special if you do any little thing. They have a kitchen with free snacks and a good location downtown that has great access to places to eat and have happy hour after this nightmare of a day.

The variable comp plan at first glance seems good.. more on that below.

The product is actually pretty smart and every small business could benefit from it - however the average business owner is still ignorant to the internet and the power of social media. The price point is pretty good too.

Cons

Pay - worst pay I have ever gotten - given the work that is expected. DO NOT WORK HERE if you have a family or plans to own a house. Your children will starve and your house will get foreclosed on. They expect at least 100 calls a day, which is not horrible but its the TYPE of calls that wear you down. The leads are horrible - the worst I have ever seen, and here is why. They are not new leads. At this point in the company they are reusing the same leads over and over again with the hopes that maybe if some one new calls them it will change the business owner's mind or some one else will be in charge.

At first glance it appears as though the script is well thought out - which it is.... however it is VERY LONG and VERY COMPLEX by the end of a presentation (should you be lucky enough to get a business owner to commit for that long) they just want to get off the phone.

The biggest and honestly sickest part of any of this - is that the more tenured reps get leads that come from the customer's request! That means for a very select few who have been there long enough get leads that are pretty much guaranteed to close because the business owner is asking about the business and how MainStreetHub can help them. This creates a HUGE smoke screen of what is real and what is not. There are all these new reps that are hired each month and see these tenured reps putting up these great sales figures (more on that coming) .. however its all a LIE. The few reps that have been there 6+ months get lay up for sales that are hand fed to them by management and come from customer requests off of the website or some other media outreach.

New reps take weeks to make a single sale. So you better have some money saved up before you start here.

A word on management - they micromanage the heck out of you. They claim they want to coach you and are really concerned about your success, but this is just more BS. They are so busy they never have time to give any really good feedback unless its to fire you.

A final word on advancement - there really isn't any. You can become a higher paid sales/ phone robot - but you have to hit quota month after month for a whole YEAR!!- which I did not see while I was there. What's the other option? to become a slave driving manager where you just tell people to get on the phone all day and yell at them to "get more demos'' in the afternoon - no thank you.

Increase your base pay !!! you seem to have talented people - if you want to keep them PAY THEM. Focus more on getting better leads. Leads that are not corporations or large chains AND SPEAK ENGLISH. NEW LEADS TOO. Not leads that have been called 10 times over the past year.

Hard work

Current Employee - Local Marketing Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Local Marketing Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Money good People

Cons

Hard work a lots of down time.

Main Street Hub Response

Oct 1, 2014co-CEO

We’re glad that you have enjoyed your experience at Main Street Hub so far! We are surprised, though, to read that you’ve experienced a lot of downtime in your role. We’d appreciate more feedback on ... More

It's been great!

I have been working at Main Street Hub

Pros

Definitely the best part is the culture. We work hard, but also play hard. Really fun.

Cons

SOmetimes it feels like we are working a little bit too much...expectations are very high

Frustrating

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Opportunity, snacks, lunches, team building projects

Cons

Lacking of training and management in sales area.

Develop a sales training curriculum and make managers accountable to sales team

Decent company, be prepared for a lot of dialing.

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Laid back office environment, good people, potential to make a decent amount of money. Performance based sales promotions.

Cons

Repetitive meetings that aren't always that helpful. A lot of turnover, but that is to be expected in a sales job. Very repetitive, reading the same pitch day after day.

Main Street Hub Response

Oct 1, 2014co-CEO

Thanks for your review! One of our values is Take Ownership, in which we hold ourselves accountable for our choices and results. This includes taking ownership for out-performance, such as knocking ... More

Churn & Burn

Former Employee - Social Media Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Social Media Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Snacks
    -Culture
    -You will meet great people

Cons

-Cold call sweatshop
    -Boiler Room
    -Micro management
    -Hard to hit quotas
    -High turnover
    -Promotions are based on sales number rather than management skills
    -Start up in its early stages

No need to micro manage. Feels like a slave ship. Provide more training. Be more transparent on career paths rather than just saying "hit your number".

Fast paced, extremely smart team all around

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Love working with very smart people. The company does an amazing job at hiring the best at a fast pace. Everyone has the ability to grow here no matter what level you come in. I have seen interns move into senior positions.

Cons

If you are not up for a challenge, then this isn't the place for you.

I know we are growing even faster over the next few years. Please keep up the good work on providing a place for all of us to also grow and learn.

Great opportunity for someone with drive, determination and focus.

Current Employee - Social Media Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Social Media Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Stock Options, opportunity for growth, professional development.

Cons

no pets allowed at work.

allow pets!

Rewarding work

Current Employee - Local Marketing Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Local Marketing Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun and supportive atmosphere. You can turn to your peers or managers for anything and we sell an amazing product.

Cons

No help with parking fees downtown Austin. Can't bring pets or family to office and most events.

Everything you guys are doing is wonderful!

Main Street Hub - Awesome Company! Sales - Challenging (Like any sales role)

Current Employee - Senior Local Marketing Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Local Marketing Consultant

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1.Culture - The company is very particular who they hire. The reasons: They need the employees to be a good fit for the main reason their services exist, HELPING LOCAL businesses thrive. They look for people who are passionate in this goal. They want their employees to build relationships within their peers, in their office and within the company.
    2. Compensation - You're offered a base pay (which is nice, especially in a sales role). You are also rewarded with commission. There's opportunity to increase your base pay while staying in the same role; all depending on your performance sales wise. You have a monthly commission, a quarterly commission and a yearly commission. (Great potential to make A LOT of money) Spiffs - Want a $100.00 gift card for doing your job? Constant opportunities to win extra rewards, trips, tvs, electronics, and money.
    3. Dress code - want to wear jeans and a tank top to work? Come on in! Or dress to impress, the choice is yours.
    4. Music - Do you enjoy working while listening to some jams? Pandora all day!

Cons

1. High turn over - Expected, you don't perform sales wise, then you won't be a good fit to maintain a long term employment.
    2. Not enough sales training. Coaching is provided, feedback, etc. However, sales training is not.

When hiring, offer a sales training that covers techniques for different scenarios. Strongly believe more people would be retained, if their was a training specific to actual selling and sales in general.