Maine Medical Center

Updated Jun 25, 2014

Maine Medical Center President and CEO Richard W. (Rich) Petersen

Richard W. (Rich) Petersen

29 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A fantastic place to intern

Academic Intern (Current Employee)
    Portland, ME

ProsThe people are wonderful to work with at MMCRI. I have gained a ton of experience in a short period of time. The work is interesting and self paced. Everyone has been willing to help whenever I have asked. I can't say enough about the great people here.

ConsI have spent a lot more time on the computer than I am used to, often 6 - 7 hours a day. The financial compensation is fairly modest.

Great patient care and clinical programs. Do not value their staff in spite of mission statement.

Clinical Analyst (Former Employee)
    Portland, ME

ProsLots of opportunities but very chaotic and at times toxic environments. A lot of cultural challenges.

ConsToxic atmosphere, employees are not valued, training offered but never executed. Don't attempt to take FMLA or they'll fire you for "substandard performance" or some such nonsense.

Advice to Senior ManagementNurture and mentor new employees, don't just throw them to the wolves and expect them to sink or swim.

Middle Management

Portland, ME

ProsThe hospital makes every attempt to be patient and family centered. Staff consistenly work to make the patient experience the best it could possibly be. Very collaborative.

ConsTo acquire and retain the best managers and directors the hospital needs to compensate them adequately. Salaries for these people are dismal, they are the glue of the organization. The organization is top heavy with Vice Presidents.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Progressive health care

CNA I (Current Employee)
    Portland, ME

ProsYou never get bored at Maine Med, you get to see all the complicated cases that surrounding hospitals aren't equipped to deal with. The benefits are good and the longevity of employees speaks for itself, most people have been working there for ten years plus. I have worked with some really great people and even though its a big hospital within departments it feel like a small family where everyone takes care of each other.

ConsIt's a big hospital and it's easy to get "lost" literally and figuratively. Sometimes it feels like decisions are made without and consultation with the people who actually have to implement the changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsult your employees more, make them apart of decision making. Stop treating CNA's like they are disposable.

Close knit group of caring and outstanding clinicians working towards the same goal of quality patient care.

CNA III (Former Employee)
    Portland, ME

ProsGood benefits, experience in the healthcare field, and agreat teaching hospital.

ConsSome management issues on my particular unit. Lack of overall management.

Disappointing and backwards place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Portland, ME

ProsThe healthcare industry as a whole always inspiring

ConsBad management
    Backwards in terms of the work
    Very paper oriented
    Very cliquish

IS Analyst

Training Analyst (Former Employee)
    Portland, ME

ProsDecent pay and benefits, although no confidence this will continue

Cons- Little opportunity to use new technology, career advancement
    - IS workspace is horrible
    - No recognition for superior performance or initiative for improvement ideas
    - IS management has little accountability and don't seem to communicate with each other
    - Software implementations are not professionally project managed, always run over budget and leave the good people burnt out
    - No raises for anyone in 2013
    - Little investment in training and skills development, technical association memberships or conferences

Advice to Senior ManagementConduct an IS employee satisfaction survey with guaranteed anonymity (i.e., computer's IP address isn't tracked)

Associate I

Associate I (Former Employee)
    Portland, ME

ProsFriendly People to work with with good pay and benefits. Got good hours and supervisors were very good and nice.

ConsCan be overwhelming with the amount of orders as a runner

Talk more and do less and strive for mediocre executive and senior leadership.

Quality Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Portland, ME

ProsThe staff that has direct patient care is top notch and truly advocates for the patients. I've worked for a highly regarded Boston area hospital and would choose MMC's staff in a heart beat.

ConsExecutive and senior leadership have a vision but no real understanding how to operationalize a plan. Major disconnect with the front line staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop blaming the current state of healthcare with reduced patient volumes and decreased revenues from the state and insurance companies. Reducing head count will never get you there financially, or spending valuable capital on consultants. Put a strategy together, operationalize it, have true alignment throughout the organization and hold people accountable.

Complete waste of time , 6+ project managers resigned

IS Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Portland, ME

ProsSmall Minority younger clinical staff management

ConsIS is a time capsule of soviet management style. Extreme unqualified managers maintain "power" through their old boy, their focus is big talk,not hospital success.
    Honest empolyees are punished and driven away, nepotism, deficient management practices are the norm, google Forbes and IT Healthcare magizines for the Maine Med Epic
    cost overruns. IS management hired unqualified consultants also contributing to the projects costs and failures.

Advice to Senior Managementstudy real hospital management, then actually "work" at a real hospital IS department educating yourselves about how succesful IT should function and treat employees, intimidation is not a core value of any great organization.

Worked for Maine Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Maine Medical Center reviews and ratings in Maine — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Maine Medical Center CEO Richard W. (Rich) Petersen. All 29 reviews posted anonymously by Maine Medical Center employees.