Maine Medical Center

33 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Employment/Culture

Current Employee - Manager in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Manager in Portland, ME

I have been working at Maine Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Largest Hospital Organization in the State. Epic EMR across the system offering one patient one records for all hospitals and all practices. Becoming more innovative and turning over executive leadership, bringing in new blood, new ideas, new leadership is foundational to cultural change. Believe significant change and improvements are finally on the horizon.

Cons

Significant burn out in IT resources due to Epic implementation. Difficult culture that is not innovative or inspiring. Endless hours of work for salaried employees. Burnout eminent because of lack of work-life balance.. Too many contract staff in managment and leadership roles. Contract staff should be short term, project based when you don't need to retain the knowledge when the project is complete.

Enjoy working with the group

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Portland, ME

I have been working at Maine Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large knowledge base of doctors

Cons

Difficult working 12 hours always

Maine Medical

Former Employee - Staff Nurse in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Staff Nurse in Portland, ME

I worked at Maine Medical Center (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good environment to learn and grow. Great benefits, decent pay. If you can stay out of the politics and focus on patient care it'll be very rewarding and challenging.

Cons

Management fosters a culture of dog eat dog, you can only advance if you spout the party line. If you criticize upper management you are punished.

Stop relying on numbers to create quality, and stop forcing senior staff nurses out. Quality comes from trust, and employees don't trust management here.

Decent place

Current Employee - Dietitian in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Dietitian in Portland, ME

I have been working at Maine Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good camaraderie, positive environment. 403b was decent as they matched equally. Positive health care environment. Huge company so there were lots of people who would be hired around the same time and you would get to know them through trainings. Lots of educational opportunities

Cons

The management was a little stuck in their old ways. Like training an old dog new tricks. They were apprehensive to take ideas from younger employees. Also the nurses could be very unpleasant, but I believe that is a general feel for a lot of health care as their is a hierarchy that takes place.

Listen to ideas, allow for growth so that the management doesn't remain stagnant.

Great patient care and clinical programs. Do not value their staff in spite of mission statement.

Former Employee - Clinical Analyst in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Clinical Analyst in Portland, ME

I worked at Maine Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities but very chaotic and at times toxic environments. A lot of cultural challenges.

Cons

Toxic atmosphere, employees are not valued, training offered but never executed. Don't attempt to take FMLA or they'll fire you for "substandard performance" or some such nonsense.

Nurture and mentor new employees, don't just throw them to the wolves and expect them to sink or swim.

A fantastic place to intern

Current Employee - Academic Intern in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Academic Intern in Portland, ME

I have been working at Maine Medical Center as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people are wonderful to work with at MMCRI. I have gained a ton of experience in a short period of time. The work is interesting and self paced. Everyone has been willing to help whenever I have asked. I can't say enough about the great people here.

Cons

I have spent a lot more time on the computer than I am used to, often 6 - 7 hours a day. The financial compensation is fairly modest.

Middle Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

I have been working at Maine Medical Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The hospital makes every attempt to be patient and family centered. Staff consistenly work to make the patient experience the best it could possibly be. Very collaborative.

Cons

To acquire and retain the best managers and directors the hospital needs to compensate them adequately. Salaries for these people are dismal, they are the glue of the organization. The organization is top heavy with Vice Presidents.

Progressive health care

Current Employee - CNA I in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - CNA I in Portland, ME

I have been working at Maine Medical Center part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You never get bored at Maine Med, you get to see all the complicated cases that surrounding hospitals aren't equipped to deal with. The benefits are good and the longevity of employees speaks for itself, most people have been working there for ten years plus. I have worked with some really great people and even though its a big hospital within departments it feel like a small family where everyone takes care of each other.

Cons

It's a big hospital and it's easy to get "lost" literally and figuratively. Sometimes it feels like decisions are made without and consultation with the people who actually have to implement the changes.

Consult your employees more, make them apart of decision making. Stop treating CNA's like they are disposable.

Disappointing and backwards place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

I worked at Maine Medical Center full-time

Pros

The healthcare industry as a whole always inspiring

Cons

Bad management
    Backwards in terms of the work
    Very paper oriented
    Very cliquish

Close knit group of caring and outstanding clinicians working towards the same goal of quality patient care.

Former Employee - CNA III in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - CNA III in Portland, ME

I worked at Maine Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, experience in the healthcare field, and agreat teaching hospital.

Cons

Some management issues on my particular unit. Lack of overall management.

Maine Medical Center Photos