Maine Medical Center

Maine Medical Center Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Maine Medical Center President and CEO Richard W. (Rich) Petersen

Richard W. (Rich) Petersen

Enjoy working with the group

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Portland, ME

ProsLarge knowledge base of doctors

ConsDifficult working 12 hours always

Decent place

Dietitian (Current Employee) Portland, ME

ProsGood camaraderie, positive environment. 403b was decent as they matched equally. Positive health care environment. Huge company so there were lots of people who would be hired around the same time and you would get to know them through trainings. Lots of educational opportunities

ConsThe management was a little stuck in their old ways. Like training an old dog new tricks. They were apprehensive to take ideas from younger employees. Also the nurses could be very unpleasant, but I believe that is a general feel for a lot of health care as their is a hierarchy that takes place.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to ideas, allow for growth so that the management doesn't remain stagnant.

Great patient care and clinical programs. Do not value their staff in spite of mission statement.

Clinical Analyst (Former Employee) Portland, ME

ProsLots of opportunities but very chaotic and at times toxic environments. A lot of cultural challenges.

ConsToxic atmosphere, employees are not valued, training offered but never executed. Don't attempt to take FMLA or they'll fire you for "substandard performance" or some such nonsense.

Advice to Senior ManagementNurture and mentor new employees, don't just throw them to the wolves and expect them to sink or swim.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A fantastic place to intern

Academic Intern (Current Employee) Portland, ME

ProsThe people are wonderful to work with at MMCRI. I have gained a ton of experience in a short period of time. The work is interesting and self paced. Everyone has been willing to help whenever I have asked. I can't say enough about the great people here.

ConsI have spent a lot more time on the computer than I am used to, often 6 - 7 hours a day. The financial compensation is fairly modest.

Good place to eork

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits pay schedule patients good physicians

ConsMicromanagement coworker conflict management turning eye to problems

Middle Management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, ME

ProsThe hospital makes every attempt to be patient and family centered. Staff consistenly work to make the patient experience the best it could possibly be. Very collaborative.

ConsTo acquire and retain the best managers and directors the hospital needs to compensate them adequately. Salaries for these people are dismal, they are the glue of the organization. The organization is top heavy with Vice Presidents.

Long time clinical and administrative manager

ProsSalaries and benefits are very good. There is some opportunity in a company as large and geographically dispersed to move around for new or better environments.

ConsExecutive management values are not aligned with the stated mission. Little employee engagement or participation in planning. Centralized control does not let managers manage.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink back to when the culture was more closely aligned with values. Respect and encourage employee input. Consider transparent communications.

Progressive health care

CNA I (Current Employee) Portland, ME

ProsYou never get bored at Maine Med, you get to see all the complicated cases that surrounding hospitals aren't equipped to deal with. The benefits are good and the longevity of employees speaks for itself, most people have been working there for ten years plus. I have worked with some really great people and even though its a big hospital within departments it feel like a small family where everyone takes care of each other.

ConsIt's a big hospital and it's easy to get "lost" literally and figuratively. Sometimes it feels like decisions are made without and consultation with the people who actually have to implement the changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsult your employees more, make them apart of decision making. Stop treating CNA's like they are disposable.

Excellent work environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosexcellent benefits, excellent people and coworkers

Consflexibility required, work life balance

Disappointing and backwards place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Portland, ME

ProsThe healthcare industry as a whole always inspiring

ConsBad management
    Backwards in terms of the work
    Very paper oriented
    Very cliquish

Worked for Maine Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!