Maine Mental Health

CEO

Not a bad place to work

Current Employee - Therapist in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Therapist in Portland, OR

I have been working at Maine Mental Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Basically thorough and fair hiring and personnel practices, a growing entity with a new name, that seems to really try to make positive steps to keep up with healthcare trends and stay competitive in a changing market.

Cons

I think the challenges are common among most mental health job, such as relatively low pay, and sometimes having to do things that makes sense from the corporate office or three supervisory levels up, but don't make as much sense on the ground.

I think whatever you can do to maintain some of the feel of the smaller entities that merged to become what you are today, would help.

MMHC was a great company to work for. Great benefits and strong team to work with.

Current Employee - Emergency Services Worker in Rockland, ME
    Current Employee - Emergency Services Worker in Rockland, ME

I have been working at Maine Mental Health

Pros

Excellent communication from supervisors
    Great co-workers
    Comfortable work environment
    Flexibility with schedule
    Excellent benefits

Cons

Limited opportunity for advancement, unless you further education to a bachelors degree
    Hourly pay is too low considering the direct responsibility for client care, however this is to be expected working for a non profit in a social services setting. The benefits for time off and health care are very generous.

A great organization overall. A few issues would be a market survey on salary and a raise for all staff based on findings. Also it would be very nice to have discounts to local businesses such as a gym or museums.

Worst "organization" I have ever worked for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westbrook, ME
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westbrook, ME

I worked at Maine Mental Health

Pros

Pretty good pay and benefits, comparatively. Flexibility, at least for salaried employees, regarding time off. They had a clean work environment.

Cons

It was populated by some of the most dysfunctional managers and "leaders" I have ever seen. Management was by fear and threat, managers were very territorial, there was little teamwork, people were set up for failure. The dysfunction trickled from the top down, and the HR department reinforced the problems by being pretty incompetent and by hiring for fit (which is usually a good thing, but not when the environment is so dysfunctional) so the only way to survive was to either leave, try not to ruffle feathers, or comply. I feel bad for organizations that are absorbed into the MEMHP family.

Realize that human capital is your greatest asset and treat your employees accordingly. Create an environment of respect, and set people up for success instead of yelling at them for failure.