Maines Reviews

Updated July 16, 2014
Updated July 16, 2014
1.9

Chris Mellon

A very exciting and challenging workplace that unfortunately became all consuming.

I have been working at Maines full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation is fantastic if you were being paid only for the hours that you were on site. working 12 to 14 hrs is normal, it is the 4 to 6 hours that you then work once you get home that kills you.

Cons

there is absolutely no work - life balance

Good place to work.

Current Employee - Warehouse in Terrell, TX
    Current Employee - Warehouse in Terrell, TX

I have been working at Maines full-time

Pros

Can progress within the company, if you put in the time and effort, in most cases. 99% of my co-workers are great people, and would help you out whith whatever problem(s) might arise.

Cons

Somewhat short-staffed, certain areas need more personnel. Management, at times, seem to turn a blind eye, when it comes to certain individuals. Management appears, in many cases, to be turning into the "good ol' boys club"

Take a look in the mirror. Listen to your co-workers, and people that work for you.

Great product and customer service but fails as an employer.

I worked at Maines

Pros

Many opportunities to take on more responsibility, if you show initiative. If you can think on your feet, you can perform well in this ever-changing environment. Many dedicated and hardworking employees.

Cons

Growth is stifled by owners poor investments outside of the core business. Huge sums of cash are spent on CEOs whim, without any considerable thought or analysis. Cash is funneled out of the business instead of investing in its growth and it's employees. A shoot from the hip CEO who is a great salesman but far too proud that only 51% of his decisions are correct.

Don't move the headquarters outside of Broome County. If faced with a more robust economy, the turnover would be unmanageable.

Shake things up in senior management. It's a good 'ol boy network that is more concerned with staying on the owners good side than doing what's best for the business.

Horrible working conditions

Current Employee - Spotter Delivery Driver in Hanover Park, IL
    Current Employee - Spotter Delivery Driver in Hanover Park, IL

I have been working at Maines full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to get along with fellow drivers and warehouse personal before they end up quitting

Cons

Building is outdated when they took it over from Marriott Distribution Semis there is no room to park them or the trailers Aim Nationalease who they lease the Semi's and Trailers from the service is horrible try to get something repaired it takes forever wish they would go to Penske or Ryder

Get Rid of Aim Nationalease and lease from Ryder or Penske and get a new warehouse this one is outdated and old!!and as for Aim Nationalease read how they treat there former and current employees Mr Mellon they treat them like crap

No real care for employees

I worked at Maines full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I wish I could put it into words

Cons

Getting blood from a stone

Learn from successful businesses

Mismanaged...

Former Employee - CDLA Driver/Unloader in Conklin, NY
    Former Employee - CDLA Driver/Unloader in Conklin, NY

I worked at Maines full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is consistent, events are outstanding, benefits are with good carriers, celebrity office personnel, security efficient and personable, workers put forth incredible efforts, owners care about the business.

Cons

Pay is way below industry standard, events are financed by low wages, benefits are expensive, celebrity office personnel hard to communicate with unless you're on their star level, security underpaid, workers discarded for ridiculous reasons while some of the worst ones are kept on, owners get snow jobbed by the ones they choose to run the business. Get injured and they will find a way to eliminate you in most cases.

resign or learn how to REALLY run a business without sacrificing those that make your salary day in and day out.

Fed Up.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Conklin, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Conklin, NY

I have been working at Maines full-time

Pros

They are always getting new business, so job security is a plus.

Cons

They don't pay. Competitors pay employees with the same title almost 1.5 times what I make in my position. Management is clueless. Company is full of "yes men." No one will stand up for what is right because god forbid someone actually have to disagree with the Maines brothers. There is blatant favoritism in all departments. The handbook might as well be thrown out the window, unless they can find a way to screw you then they use it. Management does not know the jobs of their employees. They couldn't do the jobs if their life depended on it.

Treat your employees with respect. They are there busting their humps away from their families working hard, long days, working well over 40 hours a week for (in a lot of positions) barely more than fast food places pay. Treat everyone the same. Learn to say no if it's something you simply can't do. Learn to do all the jobs you expect your employees to do, and have some respect for the job they do and the hours they put in for the little compensation they get.

I would give it negative stars if I could.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hanover Park, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hanover Park, IL

I worked at Maines full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Nobody cares when you come or go.

Cons

Management is clueless, tactless, and disrespectful. They overwork their employees and give you a hard time if you just work your scheduled shift and leave. The building is filthy, overcrowded, and incredibly outdated. Leaving was the best decision I've ever made.

Get out and see the real world once in a while.

Maines the good the bad and the ugly.

Current Employee - Trucker in Conklin, NY
    Current Employee - Trucker in Conklin, NY

I have been working at Maines

Pros

They provide good home time with family. The pay is fair, though taking a helper kills case pay but makes the trip much nicer. the benefits are awsome great health care and they have some nice activities for drivers and our families. They are good people and as much as they can seem to care about your troubles.

Cons

The stops are off loaded with a handcart and a ramp. Durring the winter it is dangerous in the ice. Very easy to get hurt on the job here. If hurt they send you to a workers comp doctor used by companies. They are there to get you back to work even if it is not what is best for you. Stating that you can do light duty which is true but not as good as rest. I agree they have to be careful about fraud with the milkers of the system. But the person who is truely hurt pays the price. Holiday schedules take drivers away from their families though management is whith their families.

Keep up the good work. Just let your drivers know they are doing a good job, we only hear from you when there is a problem. Christmas is important to your drivers and their families even though we are home in the morning we have to sleep to run at night. That makes running christmas night little better than being gone.

Not good

I have been working at Maines

Pros

food show is a good time and it is nice.

Cons

Pretty bad place to work. Managment doesn't care who you are at all. Promises aren't delivered and everything you read in the handbook and hear in your interview may not happen or be true as far as salary and vacation go. No one works together, even a little but. Managment does not train properly so turnover is very high.
    It is who you are there, not what you know-good work ethic will get you nowhere.

Quit acting like celeberties and start treating you workers as if you were one of them.