Makerbot

12 years a productor

Productor (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

Pros25 cent vending machines

ConsWhere do I begin .

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Stop threatening them with writeups. Stop the constant change of policies that suit your own ends and stresses the employees .

Full Speed to No Where

(Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsHealth insurance, rationed fruit in the kitchen, access to 3D printers in the office, bathrooms are clean, stories to tell for years.

ConsNothing but hype. MakerBot and 3D printing is a conversation starter. However, for such an exciting industry, I've never done more lackluster work than there. A sales only focused mindset, with no sense of direction for the brand or marketing except reiterating the same cheesy taglines. A reactionary working environment with zero strategy or reason behind decisions except for the whims of leadership on any given day, with ridiculous deadlines that make little sense.

Company culture and moral are terrible. Most employees don't make it past six months and the hardest working and smartest coworkers I've had are already gone or leaving. HR's best attempt to hide this is to offer bagel breakfasts, birthday cupcakes, a broken rewards system, or fake reviews on Glassdoor.

Coworkers are on a spectrum of supportive and efficient to egocentric and offensive. More so, there are a lot of people who do not understand professional or personal boundaries, are ineffective at communication, or just plain lack manners.

Salary offered is demoralizing and insulting. Almost all people hired have taken a huge pay cut for the promise of renegotiating after performance reviews or are sold on the 3D printing hype. However, raises are a joke. Most are offered a title change or an insulting percentage to keep them going.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is a broken system. I have no idea how you could solve this since you don't care about your employees' well being, your customers' experience, or making good viable products.

Dismal leadership. Very disappointing to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsRunning water. Electricity. 3D printers are everywhere. Some truly talented, amazing coworkers (most of whom are underutilized and undervalued).

ConsThe negative reviews are unfortunately, spot on. The positive reviews are written by HR.

Nearly every department suffers from either reactive, ineffectual leadership, or a revolving door of management which makes doing great, consistent work impossible.

Extremely low salaries. High turnover. Increasingly poor employee morale. Gross nepotism.

Advice to Senior ManagementStratasys - please help us fix our many broken processes: hiring, product development, and most of all: leadership.

Hire qualified people based on actual merit, not personal/family connections. Release working products, rather than rushing things that do not work to market out of greed. Hire us a CEO and President with vision and management skills who won't further harm a potentially great company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Talented people. Poor conditions.

Somehere In Corporate HQ (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsMy experience opened lots of doors. I met great people, many of whom are no longer employees. Overall, my experience was valuable, The health benefits were great.

ConsEmployees are grossly underpaid. Work/life balance is askew. It was a no-brainer to cut my losses and find a company where the leadership truly appreciates their employees, pays a generous salary, and doesn't dangle carrots.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay closer attention those that have been with the company from early on.

The Walmart of 3D printing

ProsThis used to be a great company and I still want to believe that the potential is there. There are still a few people knocking around that are entrepreneurial and team focused. Rather than looking out for themselves, they're trying to move the company forward in an industry that's now competitive. We're no longer the only ones making 3D printers and we need to work smarter.

The demise of Makerbot has little to do with growing pains and a lot to do with the lack of leadership. Maybe other reviewers feel the same way, but I'm writing this because I feel I have no other outlet to get my message across and it seems these Glassdoor reviews are actually getting some press.

ConsThe lack of leadership has touched every aspect of the company, from hiring practices to general culture (hint: there is none). Over the past six months, managers have been hired who seem to have personal connections to one of the C level staff, but have no discernable skills or leadership capabilities. The same C level staffer is also involved in every hiring decision made, which really highlights the day to day micromanagement that's in place as well as management priorities. I feel that the entire top/mid level of the company has been replaced over the past year with yes-men doers rather than thinkers who can help get the team motivated and Makerbot competitive. As another reviewer mentioned, the CEO fired the marketing staff last year and replaced them with his father. I think that sums up the hiring practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're not a small company anymore. Get out of the details and start running a business, start hiring people who have the skills we need not the connections, communicate with your employees both in the office and in your factories and start shaping a company culture. Figure out how to motivate people. Pay sucks, potential for career growth is a joke, and morale is in the toilet. You've known this for a while, how are you fixing it? Don't wait for people to just quit in frustration like Walmart.

Productor Position

Productor (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsGet the chance to work with tons of smart people.

The market (3D printing) is a fast growing field and it looks good on your resume.

Cons-Tons of smart people held back by upper management. Offered promotions within the company to only be moved to positions with a higher title / more work / same pay.

- Mandatory overtime for months straight. 6 days a week.

- Removal of benefits common in most other NYC based startups.

-Treated like cheap replaceable labor.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are many smart and talented people in production. Treat these people like they are wanted there and not like cheap labor. Many of the people who start in production have high hopes for the company only to have them torn down right in front of them. Almost everyone I started with has left and they all went on to do amazing things.

Frauds

ProsSome of the most interesting and exciting people have worked here. They never stay for long, but they manage to recruit amazing people.

ConsWhat you read here is pretty much the truth. We are very badly underpaid, but more importantly, the company cannot decide between caring about the community (seemingly at a cost to profitability) and caring about the bottom line and making a few people very rich. I suppose it will settle on the latter but I've never worked anywhere before where I felt bad for our customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice would be to the board and the investors: find someone who isn't just a pretty face that we can respect and who has credibility with the community that we've completely lost touch with. Or failing that, find someone who can actually be as mercenary as management aspires to be. Then we could get paid a living wage.

Biggest mistake of my life

(Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

Pros-3D printing industry is great
    -Products are decent and the buzz about the company is great
    -Looks good on the resume, you will get contacted by recruiters for other jobs quickly
    -American product

Cons-Low salary, lack of bonuses, and lack of any real perks are destroying workplace morale. Nearly everyone, in every department, openly talks about being broke and living in near-poverty. I have been employed at MakerBot for about one year and have not had one bonus or raise...despite being told how great of a job I am doing.

-Very high turnover for a potentially great company. This is always blamed on "being a startup," but it's just because of low wages.

-Getting asked to work on weekends gets aggravating (this seems to happen in many different departments)

-Attitude from "Upper Management" and CEO can get very hostile and outright shameful. Employees are treated with very little respect.

-Potentially nasty future. Upper management's does not value the company's customers.. customer service and business ethics are slipping rapidly.

Advice to Senior Management-If you are one of the VCs that own MakerBot-- please find us a new CEO and CSO.

-Give everyone at the company a 50% pay increase and watch the employees start to care about their jobs. You wont have to beg employees to work on weekends if we made a good-living.

Makerbot: An interesting product but an unhealthy environnment to be in!!!

Productor (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsThe product is interesting and the company could have a great potential if it was managed properly!

ConsReally, really poor management consequently, the whole production employees are the ones who carry the burden. No consistency in the hours either: you would find yourself doing overtime for weeks because of mismanagement.
    There is new hiring everything 3 months because of people quitting:

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust and treat your employees better and maybe they might stick around!

Should never have accepted this job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe 3-D printing industry is fascinating and is booming. The work itself is great...very rewarding.
    The employees are awesome! Some of the most down-to-earth people you will ever meet!

ConsThe company culture is very divisive. The company is split in terms of what department you happen to work in (like night and day). You might as well be working for two different companies.

Very poor management, poorly-made decisions. No clear direction from the top. There are just blanket speeches made about numbers and bottom lines.

There is very high turnover here. Constantly changing staff because of firings and people who just left on their own. Constant upper management turnover as well.

Employees are not valued. They are treated like robots (for lack of a better term!).

Salaries are sub-standard, at best.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs has been stated a few times already, place more value on your employees, and your sales and company earnings will naturally follow suit.

Worked for Makerbot? Contribute to the Community!