Makerbot Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.3
Jonathan Jaglom

Pros
  • 3D printing is great to have on the resume (in 11 reviews)

• Making 3D printers is fun and challenging (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Still going through some growing pains (in 6 reviews)

• But to serve the completely clueless and ignorant upper management (in 6 reviews)

OK, but getting worse

Current Employee - Maker in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Maker in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Talented people at the lower levels. A great product when management doesn't mess it up. Good attempts to promote people internally. People love the products they create. Sales folks are brilliant, and engineering is pretty amazing. If you can avoid management it is an OK place to work.

Cons

Management demands 110% dedication for 60% pay. Chinzy benefits with almost no stock options, Cheap healthcare, no 401(k) and very little time off. Often a 'you are lucky to have a job here' attitude shows by management. Many people have left in the last 3 months. It's impossible to tell which of them quit, and which of them were fired. People disappear from their jobs on some Fridays never to return. CEO is nice way over his head. Upper management expects perfection from employees, but are foolish and panicky themselves. Key decisions are made without knowing the facts, and employees clean up the mess later. Many bad decisions are made because of paranoia or secrecy.

Advice to Management

Hire a real CEO. Focus on internal management rather than trying to look good.

Should never have accepted this job

Pros

The 3-D printing industry is fascinating and is booming. The work itself is great...very rewarding. The employees are awesome! Some of the most down-to-earth people you will ever meet!

Cons

The company culture is very divisive. The company is split in terms of what department you happen to work in (like night and day). You might as well be working for two different companies. Very poor management, poorly-made decisions. No clear direction from the top. There are just blanket speeches made about numbers and bottom lines. There is very high turnover here. Constantly changing staff because of firings and people who just left on their own. Constant upper management turnover as well. Employees are not valued. They are treated like robots (for lack of a better term!). Salaries are sub-standard, at best.

Advice to Management

As has been stated a few times already, place more value on your employees, and your sales and company earnings will naturally follow suit.

Makerbot: An interesting product but an unhealthy environnment to be in!!!

Current Employee - Productor in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The product is interesting and the company could have a great potential if it was managed properly!

Cons

Really, really poor management consequently, the whole production employees are the ones who carry the burden. No consistency in the hours either: you would find yourself doing overtime for weeks because of mismanagement. There is new hiring everything 3 months because of people quitting:

Advice to Management

Trust and treat your employees better and maybe they might stick around!

Biggest mistake of my life

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-3D printing industry is great -Products are decent and the buzz about the company is great -Looks good on the resume, you will get contacted by recruiters for other jobs quickly -American product

Cons

-Low salary, lack of bonuses, and lack of any real perks are destroying workplace morale. Nearly everyone, in every department, openly talks about being broke and living in near-poverty. I have been employed at MakerBot for about one year and have not had one bonus or raise...despite being told how great of a job I am doing. -Very high turnover for a potentially great company. This is always blamed on "being a startup," but it's just because of low wages. -Getting asked to work on weekends gets aggravating (this seems to happen in many different departments) -Attitude from "Upper Management" and CEO can get very hostile and outright shameful. Employees are treated with very little respect. -Potentially nasty future. Upper management's does not value the company's customers.. customer service and business ethics are slipping rapidly.

Advice to Management

-If you are one of the VCs that own MakerBot-- please find us a new CEO and CSO. -Give everyone at the company a 50% pay increase and watch the employees start to care about their jobs. You wont have to beg employees to work on weekends if we made a good-living.

Frauds

Pros

Some of the most interesting and exciting people have worked here. They never stay for long, but they manage to recruit amazing people.

Cons

What you read here is pretty much the truth. We are very badly underpaid, but more importantly, the company cannot decide between caring about the community (seemingly at a cost to profitability) and caring about the bottom line and making a few people very rich. I suppose it will settle on the latter but I've never worked anywhere before where I felt bad for our customers.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to the board and the investors: find someone who isn't just a pretty face that we can respect and who has credibility with the community that we've completely lost touch with. Or failing that, find someone who can actually be as mercenary as management aspires to be. Then we could get paid a living wage.

Productor Position

Former Employee - Productor in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Productor in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Makerbot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get the chance to work with tons of smart people. The market (3D printing) is a fast growing field and it looks good on your resume.

Cons

-Tons of smart people held back by upper management. Offered promotions within the company to only be moved to positions with a higher title / more work / same pay. - Mandatory overtime for months straight. 6 days a week. - Removal of benefits common in most other NYC based startups. -Treated like cheap replaceable labor.

Advice to Management

There are many smart and talented people in production. Treat these people like they are wanted there and not like cheap labor. Many of the people who start in production have high hopes for the company only to have them torn down right in front of them. Almost everyone I started with has left and they all went on to do amazing things.

Talented people. Poor conditions.

Former Employee - Somehere In Corporate HQ in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Somehere In Corporate HQ in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Makerbot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My experience opened lots of doors. I met great people, many of whom are no longer employees. Overall, my experience was valuable, The health benefits were great.

Cons

Employees are grossly underpaid. Work/life balance is askew. It was a no-brainer to cut my losses and find a company where the leadership truly appreciates their employees, pays a generous salary, and doesn't dangle carrots.

Advice to Management

Pay closer attention those that have been with the company from early on.

Dismal leadership. Very disappointing to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Running water. Electricity. 3D printers are everywhere. Some truly talented, amazing coworkers (most of whom are underutilized and undervalued).

Cons

The negative reviews are unfortunately, spot on. The positive reviews are written by HR. Nearly every department suffers from either reactive, ineffectual leadership, or a revolving door of management which makes doing great, consistent work impossible. Extremely low salaries. High turnover. Increasingly poor employee morale. Gross nepotism.

Advice to Management

Stratasys - please help us fix our many broken processes: hiring, product development, and most of all: leadership. Hire qualified people based on actual merit, not personal/family connections. Release working products, rather than rushing things that do not work to market out of greed. Hire us a CEO and President with vision and management skills who won't further harm a potentially great company.

Full Speed to No Where

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Makerbot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health insurance, rationed fruit in the kitchen, access to 3D printers in the office, bathrooms are clean, stories to tell for years.

Cons

Nothing but hype. MakerBot and 3D printing is a conversation starter. However, for such an exciting industry, I've never done more lackluster work than there. A sales only focused mindset, with no sense of direction for the brand or marketing except reiterating the same cheesy taglines. A reactionary working environment with zero strategy or reason behind decisions except for the whims of leadership on any given day, with ridiculous deadlines that make little sense. Company culture and moral are terrible. Most employees don't make it past six months and the hardest working and smartest coworkers I've had are already gone or leaving. HR's best attempt to hide this is to offer bagel breakfasts, birthday cupcakes, a broken rewards system, or fake reviews on Glassdoor. Coworkers are on a spectrum of supportive and efficient to egocentric and offensive. More so, there are a lot of people who do not understand professional or personal boundaries, are ineffective at communication, or just plain lack manners. Salary offered is demoralizing and insulting. Almost all people hired have taken a huge pay cut for the promise of renegotiating after performance reviews or are sold on the 3D printing hype. However, raises are a joke. Most are offered a title change or an insulting percentage to keep them going.

Advice to Management

This is a broken system. I have no idea how you could solve this since you don't care about your employees' well being, your customers' experience, or making good viable products.

12 years a productor

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

25 cent vending machines

Cons

Where do I begin .

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Stop threatening them with writeups. Stop the constant change of policies that suit your own ends and stresses the employees .

RSS Feed </> Embed