Makerbot Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.3
Jonathan Jaglom

Pros
  • 3D printing is great to have on the resume (in 11 reviews)

• Making 3D printers is fun and challenging (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Still going through some growing pains (in 6 reviews)

• But to serve the completely clueless and ignorant upper management (in 6 reviews)

1. Good company getting back on its feet

Former Employee - Engineer in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Makerbot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly young co-workers. Great benefits. You get to 3D print anything you want. There are opportunities to grow and get a lot of experience, if you know how to earn them (e.g. "your work quality speaks for yourself"). Nice techy environment if at Industry City, Brooklyn.

Cons

Company is still trying to recover from things that gave it a bad reputation (though most responsible do not work there anymore). Many inexperienced managers. Most engineers are way underpaid, except for software engineers.

Advice to Management

Learn how to deal with employees; listen to them and don't stop those underneath you from growing just because you are afraid of them taking over. Also consider hiring good candidates as opposed of hiring or promoting your girlfriend or childhood buddy.

Absolute Joke

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Coworkers. Free Pizza when company muffs up or feels guilty about the exorbitant workload they give you. Ability to connive up the ranks because of the SEVERE turnover rate. You can use a 3D printer that may or may not work

Cons

No training. Average salary for all employees is about 10k below average ( Straight from Managements mouth). No accountability for the work delegated. No career path guide. Having to constantly lie to people about product performance. Inflating Amazon reviews so that we can improve public perception. Making customers pay to talk to tech support. Horrible benefits that they trump up to seem like you actually have decent coverage. Managers demolishing morale by expounding on how horrible the company has become and lamenting to their teams about it.

Advice to Management

This company is absolutely horrible. Management is turning a blind eye to everything and the company is hemorrhaging talent. I have never seen ignorance of what the issues are on such a grand scale. If Stratasys had known about the company practices, I am pretty sure they would not have bought MakerBot. Just go and take a look at the stock since acquisition. The company is banking on a new Smart Extruder because of how horribly the first one performed (Class Action Lawsuit). Management has even turned to begging the employees to recommend anyone to fill the positions in which they are constantly losing talent for. You have to be absolutely desperate or completely uninformed about their Glassdoor rating to even consider accepting a position here. You will have a better change of making a better salary and being promoted by working for a fast food chain at this point.

Rush jobs and lack of appreciation leads to failure

Pros

You learned a lot and if that is something you love doing then you will enjoy the actual work.

Cons

too many chiefs and not enough indians. the management team wants all the credit until something bad happens. No one wants to take responsibility so they dump the blame on the workers. It has become a sweat shop due to the way people are treated and spoken to. If you know something the supervisors dont they will label you as a know it all and find any way possible to get you into trouble. It is sad that the company only wants to line their pockets and so no care for dedicated employees and the products.

It's all been said

Former Employee - Engineer in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Makerbot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You learn a lot of different things at once, as they expect you to do a ludicrous amount of work most of the time. Great coworkers.

Cons

They work you to the ground, constantly hire from outside rather than promoting, and are terrible at compensation. and recognition. Some departments need their hands held because they don't even know what they want themselves.

Advice to Management

Pay your workers what they deserve. There are many extremely talented people, although at this point most of them are gone.

6. Wait and see..

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some great people here, you will learn a lot and move up quickly. Also great benefits package, flexible schedule and a decent amount of vacation days. People rag on HR, but they have been responsive to anytime I have had to interact with them.

Cons

The new CEO started out promising, with some good ideas and a desire to shake things up. However he has turned into another megalomanic CEO. He is a horrible public speaker and his town halls turn into personal story time. Big talk, little action. Refuses to raise anyones salary, states that he will pay no more, no less then an average determined by some unknown "consultants". Also the location is all the way in Sunset Park, which can be a pain to get to if you live anywhere other then Sunset Park.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they are worth. You want to have an innovative, exciting company, but are unable to attract that level of talent. Also, have the CEO stop hiring his friends with inflated salaries. Then perhaps there will be some money left over for the people actually doing the work.

Stay Away

I worked at Makerbot full-time

Pros

Getting the name on your resume is great, for what it's worth.

Cons

I chose to work here after graduation because of the draw of the name and how the company boasts innovation. Unfortunately, even on my first day, people were telling me to get out of there. Management seems out to get its employees, there is a severe lack of respect amongst managers. While there I experienced a team that seemed like they were solely at work to try and undermine one another and this behavior was only supported by our manager, who tried to "motivate" by pretty much giving a definitive ranking of who he liked best to each member of the team. MakerBot boasts that it is a cutting edge innovative company, all while sticking to designs and ideas that would better belong in the 90's and it's probably a result of the upper management not actually knowing anything about design or their own products. I am embarrassed to say that I worked here, and if you are looking to get in to the 3D printing field, look elsewhere. There are plenty of other companies that are far more supportive, innovative, and are actually making strides in 3D printing technology.

Advice to Management

Management here needs to learn how to respect its employees. From day one it was clear that anyone not in a management position may as well have been nameless. Management needs to do something to earn respect too, but all I saw were a ton of mindless followers who didn't even know their own business.

FastCompany Most Innovative Companies List to Class Action Lawsuit in 2 Years

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Having access to 3d printers is pretty cool, great exposure to a tech company for first timers and decent health/dental.

Cons

To really get context for the current state of MakerBot I highly recommend watching the Netflix documentary "Print the Legend", which documents the decent of MakerBot from a high energy start up with passionate employees to the myopic corporate subsidiary, with a truly toxic culture, that it is today. The reviews below (minus the, what I can only assume is, review spamming by HR) are pretty spot on as far as what's wrong with MakerBot: Ineffective middle/upper management, pay and benefits far below market averages and a very, very negative culture.. - Ineffective Middle/Upper Management: A corporate organizational chart was released a few months ago and the amount of directors listed was absolutely outrageous for a 400 person company. What's more outrageous is that for all these directors, nothing actually gets done and things that are done are done reactively to appease a higher up. This makes for initiatives and processes that are half-baked and unscalable. The result is burnt out individual contributors across the company who put in work on projects whose broad concepts are ill conceived high level and poorly positioned/executed mid level. To be clear I've come across some great mid level managers here and what makes them good is the ability to translate a ill conceived/often short sighted idea into something that could actually work. Ultimately this is leading to a huge retention problem of individual contributors and talented mid level managers; smart enough to understand the problem but powerless to fix it. The real shame in all of this is that Jonathan Jaglom seems very open to debate on ideas, however I think the channel of communication is very limited between him and the majority of frustrated employees. Even with more transparency employees are conditioned very early on not to talk above a superior. - Pay and Benefits Far Below Market Averages: Messaging from MakerBot HR about this has been mixed at best, ranging from assurance that we are at market average per a "consulting firm" they brought in to an admission that salaries are below market value and steps are being made to correct that (in like, you know, 3 years). I can't speak for anyone else in the company but referencing the resources I have available (Payscale, Bureau of Labor Statistics and Glassdoor), I'm confident I'm underpaid. Additionally benefits and amenities are very limited. Aside from standard benefits like health, dental and 401K there is nothing to speak to. Food is rarely catered aside from a quarterly bagel breakfast, there are no rec rooms or activities and bonuses are virtually non existent. Compared to other NYC based tech companies MakerBot falls well below industry standard. - Very, Very Negative Culture: The points above has lead to a negative culture overall. Walking through the office, resumes can be seen on screens; people talk openly about looking elsewhere. Eyerolls are a common occurrence when the topic of culture or community comes up, very few people care any more. Until recently HR has really done nothing to counter this. Currently there's an initiative in place to identify MakerBots core values utilizing a group of lower, mid and upper employees. It's a great sentiment but at the end of the day employees don't care about a new company charter or motto or whatever they're trying to accomplish, they want better leadership and better pay. Identify all the values you want but as long as these issues continue to persist, so will the negative culture.

Advice to Management

Listen, I get it, Bre Petis was wildly ambitious with 5th generation product line. Rushing these products to market crushed consumer confidence and in turn destroyed employee morale. Couple that with declining interest in 3D printing and the end result is very unhappy employees while also having to tighten your belts which is further frustrating employees. Honestly I don't know how you rectify this. Since money is clearly out of the question your only option is to start micromanaging your direct reports: what are they doing, but more importantly, what are they accomplishing. Ultimately culture/employee satisfaction = $ so at least you'll be getting the most out of your staff, right? Otherwise invest in real ways to compensate your employees. It doesn't have to be money but something: professional development, funding for conferences, maybe even bring back the Star Award program that has been "under review" for over six months. These are tangible benefits with a relatively low monetary vaule. **To Jonathan Jaglom** I have to say I've always been impressed with what you've had to say at Town Halls. The fact that you walked in to a CEO role at MakerBot in it's current state is impressive and shows real resolve. You've said a few time that you have earn your place here and I hope you do. This is a struggling company in a blossoming industry, you need to push it back in the right direction.

Great ideas, zero execution

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

-3D printing. It rocks, it's a cool product, and it's fun to work in a tech field that's getting a lot of attention -unlimited access to this tech, including the full line of 3D printers. Very easy to use and zero roadblock to access -For the most part, the people who work in Marketing are all VERY smart and VERY creative with great ideas

Cons

-Almost zero execution on any of these ideas. All good ideas are sidelines for wahtever upper management wants AT THAT MOMENT. Zero foresight in this regard -Upper management. No one cares if you have anything to say, everyone is being pressured by everyone else, and it's starting to resemble and Israeli good old boys club and not an American tech scene. Who cares about the company being in brooklyn if everything is run from Israel? -crap product that's still going through a lot of growing pains. Makes it hard to stand behind the product when it's not very reliable -Yes the employees are smart but they are SO WEIRD AND AKWARD it makes getting through the day very hard -pay is atrocious and they know and have accepted this and decided to not care

Advice to Management

Jesus give someone a decent raise. no one wants to work for a company that gives no sign of giving anyone decent pay.

Amazing people, terrible management

I worked at Makerbot full-time

Pros

Some of the best people I've worked with. The team environment in our department was everyone's reason for going in every day, and the pranks and inside jokes got us through to happy hour. With little institutional incentive to try, employees worked hard and produced high-quality work just because that's the type of people they were. Direct managers and supervisors were also extremely caring and supportive, and helped identify opportunities for people to leverage their strengths and pursue their interests.

Cons

The company was going through some huge transitions (rapid growth, Stratasys takeover and subsequent restructuring) and experiencing some big growing pains. I was not impressed by the treatment and management skills of anyone beyond my immediate supervisors, and some terrible decisions were made (and poorly communicated) to employees. There was extremely low morale and high stress in all departments, and laughably poor salaries and few opportunities for promotion made it a wonder anyone stayed and continue to work as hard as they did. One of the worst things I saw was the pattern of dangling incentives of promotions or bonuses in front of employees that were never delivered.

Advice to Management

Value your incredible employees and pay fair wages. Stratasys has made some headway cleaning house, but in general the lower-level management are miles ahead of everyone at the executive level in understanding how to run a company.

Hopeful!

Current Employee - Engineering in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Engineering in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-There is great camaraderie (at least in product development) within this young company that is slowly but surely maturing through trial by fire. There are still many that were here during varying portions of the company's initial success, lived through the difficult 2014, and are now trying very hard to put the company back into a position to regain its reputation. -Despite the difficulties experienced both within the company and our customer base, there is a hopeful sentiment that our work this year will redeem ourselves on both fronts. -It is a fun environment to work in.

Cons

-Salaries are still lower than market rate on most fronts, although beginning efforts have been made to level these appropriately. -Despite some good intentions, the company suffered greatly because of a rushed product launch that occurred during a time of ill perceived immortality. This was due to a motley combination of lacking resources, process, and experience to support it properly. Persons in leadership positions failed to recognize or act on telling signs, and lower positions did not know any better. -Talent is leaking in in some areas, but leadership positions are more solid than 2014.

Advice to Management

Focus must continue to be placed on regaining the trust of our customer base and rebuilding reputation. Our CEO (Jaglom) must lead this effort.

RSS Feed </> Embed