Makerbot Reviews

Updated April 18, 2015
62 reviews filtered by
2.3
Bre Pettis

Pros
  • 3D printing is an important technology and you get to be part of it all (in 11 reviews)

• 3D printers everywhere, and if one has been repaired recently, it might even work (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Due to it being a relatively new company, it has it's growing pains (in 6 reviews)

• But to serve the completely clueless and ignorant upper management (in 6 reviews)

1. I guess they're trying to shut it down.

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Makerbot

Pros

Some of the most intelligent people I've ever met. The engineers and software guys pulled a miracle patching a product that wasn't finished.

Cons

CEO,

Let me first talk about some things that were completely not your fault. The only reason why Makerbot was able to grow to the point that it did, pre-Stratasys, was because they took a technology perfected by the open-source crowd, repackaged it, and called their creation. It quickly became apparent that those in charge had no idea what they were doing when creating printers that were truly their own: the 5th generations. If the 5th gens were Makerbot's first offerings to the public, Stratasys would have easily seen no future for this company.

This needs to be clear: the performance of these printers are not the fault of the engineers. They were rushed by a small group who need to line their wallets ASAP and run out the door before people realized that they've been scammed. Given the adequate time to work on projects, they have created really great stuff.

Now onto you. On the first day that you met us, you told us, "I must earn my place here." First of all, your speech was bad. No one needed to know about your personal life. We needed to know how you would help us fix this mess.

Well good job! You managed to make every single employee hate you during the first few weeks that you've been here! If you're sitting in your office right now, look out to the office floor. Everyone you see hates you. You got rid of their friends, and with the funny little clause in our contracts that allows you to fire anyone for no reason, there really isn't any reason to like you. Do you really believe that getting rid of the people who were here working on solutions to the problems created by upper management was the best idea? Of course getting rid of 100 employees will save you money, but that is short term. You also got rid of all their knowledge. The people who left this company have created companies of their own, which shows you the potential that this company has been leaking out. You now have to spend time retraining your new employees.

Who are these employees? The low paid interns that are coming in very soon! The timing couldn't be more right. Almost like some crazy coincidence. What's left now is a concentration of people in upper management who created this mess in the first place, a group of interns who have to play catch up, and a few knowledgable employees who are forced to make the worst decisions for the company. If saving money was your goal, why not fire those in upper management responsible for the misguidance, and send guys from Stratasys to take over? They are the highest paid by the way, and really is a no-brainer.

If you try to put this all together, and make sense of it, it only leads to one plausible explanation. This is just my opinion since I am not part of the board, and know nothing of what they've planned. If this is actually what's going on, then I guess I told you so.

You are the fall guy they chose.

Seriously? A guy with a sales background? It didn't make you think for a second that something is a little weird when they offered the position to you? They needed someone to make more bad decisions to drive Makerbot further into the ground, ultimately to shut it down, and they've made a great choice. You've lost the confidence of your whole workforce, and even worse, the customers. The company didn't need to an expert in sales. The sales department proved that they are elite. When you can convince people to buy a $3000 paperweight, you're a good salesman. What this company needed was an engineer as a CEO who understands the process, and not rush something that isn't finished, yet.

When they're done with you, I guess they'll send you to their dunce corner, AKA Bold Machines. I've learned that people have been calling that team "The Expendables." It's quite fitting actually.

I want to wish all those who were affected by this the best because we all know they don't really mean it in those weekly emails with the names of those who leave. I would bet that it might even feel like a minor inconvenience to whoever is writing those that day.

Two more things.
    SSYS has had some relatively, but oddly, good performance on the market earlier this week compared to the trend of previous weeks, and it suddenly dipped the day before the massive layoffs. Curious isn't it?

Every review here that says "growing pains" is written by someone in upper management.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves.

Engineer

Current Employee - Engineer in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Makerbot (more than a year)

Pros

Good company to gain experience and develop your skills. Fun to work around 3D printers. You are encouraged to try things and I enjoy coming to work everyday.

Cons

The decision making skills of management are questionable. The company is spread out and it is hard to feel like a team at times.

Advice to Management

Centralize the company more instead of having it spread out over several locations. Put your focus on making quality products rather than rushing stuff out the door. Marketing is great, but word spreads fast about a mediocre product these days. Developing a truly good product will essentially market itself. Consumers have never been better informed.

3. Started from the bottom...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Makerbot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

When I started it was an amazing place to be..As it grew we all saw the direction it was going..ca.2011....it went corporate, some got paid. And we rode it out as far as we could...all hail tech!!!?

Cons

Its not what you know..it's who you know...:(

Advice to Management

It's too late

"Retail Operator" was really a Brand Ambassador

Former Employee - Retail Operator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Retail Operator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Makerbot full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I was hired as an independent retail operator for Makerbot, stationed at Home Depot. The hours were very good, as I am not a morning person. Ample paid time off, paid lunches, healthy salary. The management was helpful when they could be, but mostly stayed out of my business. Was given access to many resources, including Lynda.com.

Cons

Very little training. Once I was trained, I was basically on my own, not hearing from anyone at the company (outside of daily form-letter style emails) for often weeks at a time. We were considered employees, but were paid out of the marketing budget, which ultimately ran dry. Was given 11 days notice before termination. Was not offered an interview for the regional position that replaced my job, despite expressing interest in growing with the company from the start. The only mention of any kind of Christmas gift or bonus was an invitation to a party that happened in another city 900 miles away. Basically, I felt forgotten and unappreciated. I worked very hard to make myself noticed in a large company, and went out of my way to help out others in my position. I also spent time on my own learning more about the product and the processes that go into using the product to its full potential. None of this was ever acknowledged, outside of the occasional pat on the back from my direct supervisor, who I saw twice in six months. One of these meetings was to tell me I was laid off, which was done in public, at the Makerbot "kiosk". The end of the Home Depot retail operators program was handled very poorly.

Advice to Management

Don't pay employees out of a pre-determined sum of money, and if you do, make it very clear that there is no room for advancement, and that this is a contract with an end date.

Worst place to work for.

Former Employee - Productor in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Productor in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Makerbot full-time (less than a year)

Pros

25 cent machines was cool.

Cons

Everything sucked. Some people were cool. But Upper Management sucked.

Passionate employees, underpaid

Former Intern - Intern in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Intern - Intern in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Makerbot as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

-Engineers are passionate about 3D printing and creating a great product
    -Fun work environment (lots of young people)
    -Smartest people I've ever worked with
    -Good work life balance

Cons

-Pay is a joke (especially for engineers, it's far under the national average)
    -Employees keep leaving for better paying jobs
    --ad communication between departments

Advice to Management

Justifying your low wages based on being a startup and having a "cool" culture is not a sustainable practice. The Makerbot name attracts good engineers, and then they leave for better paying jobs. Pay your employees what they deserve so they stay around for more than a year.

One of my favorite places to work.

Current Employee - UI Designer in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - UI Designer in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get to work with really great people, which is difficult to find. Coworkers are open and collaborative. Projects vary and are engaging. 3D printing is a pretty cool industry.

Cons

The office location is inconvenient. The facilities could also be nicer – it seems they do the minimum amount necessary to make sure the office is a comfortable environment.

Advice to Management

Invest more into facilities.

Immature, Disorganized, Lacks Focus

I worked at Makerbot

Pros

During my tenure, there were many great co-workers on the Director and Manager level.

Cons

Does not have the proper infrastructure, tools, and leadership to support a 500+ person company across multiple locations. Communication suffers and accomplishing any project that isn't siloed to one department is a major challenge.

Business decisions are capricious and driven by perverse incentives --- not building great products or setting forth long term business goals and product roadmaps.

Poor development process. Honestly, the most immature development process I've ever encountered at my 10+ years of experience working in NYC tech (from early stage startups to 1000+ employees). There is constant scrambling on every project.

Turnover in departments is staggering. Morale is suffering as a result.

Nepotism is rampant. Leadership needs to stop hiring and promoting friends and family, and make smarter hiring decisions and trusting smart people, not driving them away.

Advice to Management

Admit your limitations. Hire smart and open your wallets to get higher quality candidates in the door. Stop promoting friends and family.

Commit to building and delivering quality products for your customers. Do this and it will be easier to make employees feel proud to work there -- this will inherently fix a lot of the culture and turnover issues. Avoid the "Bread and Circuses" at all cost (Free fruit and star awards) it's embarrassing, shows immaturity and lack of experience for working for or building a great company.

HR should be helpful and beneficial to employees not intimidating/fear mongering. Also, HR needs to be more professional overall, especially when dealing with sensitive and confidential employee information.

Overall a great experience working with talented and dedicated employees

Former Intern - Channel Marketing Intern in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Intern - Channel Marketing Intern in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Makerbot as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

1) "Never a dull moment" - always exciting to hear about new collaborations

2) "Magic of 3D printing" - working for the leader that's setting the standard in an up-and-coming industry

3) "Valuable work to be done" - under my direct managers I had excellent guidance yet enough freedom to be my own marketer and was always encouraged to formulate new ideas and processes

4) "Talent and dedication is abundant" - being surrounded by co-workers who work tirelessly to find ways to continue improving products and processes

5) "Great experience" - I can walk away saying that I've learned a lot in such a short period of time

6) If I was asked to come back and join the MakerBot team, I would definitely consider it and recommend the company to others.

Cons

No complaints. Understand that 3D printing is still in its infancy and MakerBot is constantly improving their products and processes to be better and more consumer friendly.

Advice to Management

I would have liked to see my internship transfer into a full-time position.

Clueless upper management, crushing underpaid passion. !!!RUN AWAY!!!

Former Employee - Designer in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Designer in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Makerbot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Made some really good connections with lots of equally frustrated employees.

Teaches you what questions to ask at your next interview, things like.

Is this company run my a bunch of money hungry apes with no understanding of long term growth and the current trends and needs of the people that can truly utilized 3d printing as it currently stands today and where it is going.

Cons

Just about everything. It was an absolutely toxic, passion sucking work environment where employees are put against each other. Sexist remarks are made about future employees being to "Hot" to hire. Other things I don't even feel comfortable talking about because I really just want to let these things be the past...

If you have an innovative Idea forget about it. Your job at makerbot is NOT to think. But to serve the completely clueless and ignorant upper management.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. your company is a sinking ship. WHY DO YOU THING EVERY ONE IS QUITTING!

Makerbot Photos