Makerbot

www.makerbot.com

Makerbot Reviews

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Bre Pettis

Talented people, doing cool work, but underappreciated and overworked employees.

Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsMaking 3D printers is fun and challenging. Most people are nice and willing to help. Fast paced environment where things are always changing.

ConsOverall, a disorganized company. Company values being cheap and underpaying employees.

12 years a productor

Productor (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

Pros25 cent vending machines

ConsWhere do I begin .

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Stop threatening them with writeups. Stop the constant change of policies that suit your own ends and stresses the employees .

always exciting

Proslots of opportunity for growth, some of the most amazing people to work with, 3D printing is super cool

Consrollercoaster internally, spend a lot of time working including after hours and work travel

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Full Speed to No Where

(Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsHealth insurance, rationed fruit in the kitchen, access to 3D printers in the office, bathrooms are clean, stories to tell for years.

ConsNothing but hype. MakerBot and 3D printing is a conversation starter. However, for such an exciting industry, I've never done more lackluster work than there. A sales only focused mindset, with no sense of direction for the brand or marketing except reiterating the same cheesy taglines. A reactionary working environment with zero strategy or reason behind decisions except for the whims of leadership on any given day, with ridiculous deadlines that make little sense.

Company culture and moral are terrible. Most employees don't make it past six months and the hardest working and smartest coworkers I've had are already gone or leaving. HR's best attempt to hide this is to offer bagel breakfasts, birthday cupcakes, a broken rewards system, or fake reviews on Glassdoor.

Coworkers are on a spectrum of supportive and efficient to egocentric and offensive. More so, there are a lot of people who do not understand professional or personal boundaries, are ineffective at communication, or just plain lack manners.

Salary offered is demoralizing and insulting. Almost all people hired have taken a huge pay cut for the promise of renegotiating after performance reviews or are sold on the 3D printing hype. However, raises are a joke. Most are offered a title change or an insulting percentage to keep them going.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is a broken system. I have no idea how you could solve this since you don't care about your employees' well being, your customers' experience, or making good viable products.

Dismal leadership. Very disappointing to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsRunning water. Electricity. 3D printers are everywhere. Some truly talented, amazing coworkers (most of whom are underutilized and undervalued).

ConsThe negative reviews are unfortunately, spot on. The positive reviews are written by HR.

Nearly every department suffers from either reactive, ineffectual leadership, or a revolving door of management which makes doing great, consistent work impossible.

Extremely low salaries. High turnover. Increasingly poor employee morale. Gross nepotism.

Advice to Senior ManagementStratasys - please help us fix our many broken processes: hiring, product development, and most of all: leadership.

Hire qualified people based on actual merit, not personal/family connections. Release working products, rather than rushing things that do not work to market out of greed. Hire us a CEO and President with vision and management skills who won't further harm a potentially great company.

Designer

Designer (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsClose to a lot of food options for lunch. The view out of the building was good, but made me realize I could be somewhere else.

ConsCompletely disorganized. Unoriginal marketing tactics (very cheesy). Not very integrated or understanding of each other's capabilities. Attempts to create a company culture but turns out being plain creepy.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn the design department: quick and educated design decisions need to be made instead of staring at something for 30 minutes only to not be able to decide what looks better.

Hard to describe

Software (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsNice, intelligent people all around.
    Usually friendly atmosphere.
    Great place to inspire and excite own ideas.

ConsSomewhat paternalistic developments.
    Difficulties for me to associate with the brand itself.
    Not a great place to associate yourself with your own work.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare more within the company and have checks and balances be more distributed.
    And give back more to the community/work more with the community.

Design

ProsI report to a wonderful person

ConsThe company is still growing

Talented people. Poor conditions.

Somehere In Corporate HQ (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsMy experience opened lots of doors. I met great people, many of whom are no longer employees. Overall, my experience was valuable, The health benefits were great.

ConsEmployees are grossly underpaid. Work/life balance is askew. It was a no-brainer to cut my losses and find a company where the leadership truly appreciates their employees, pays a generous salary, and doesn't dangle carrots.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay closer attention those that have been with the company from early on.

A phenomenal opportunity to be apart of an industry leading company in a cutting edge technology.

ProsOne of the biggest things that makes a company a great place to work are the colleagues that you collaborate with everyday. We've got some brilliant and fun loving individuals.

ConsThere's always more work to do, so it's important for employees to maintain a healthy work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's definitely valuable to continue to foster the culture and appreciation for all your employees.

Worked for Makerbot? Contribute to the Community!