Makerbot Reviews

It's a joke

Former Employee - Productor in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Productor in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Makerbot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful co workers, the best people you'll ever meet.
    You get to know people and they will treat you like family, they look out for you and do their best to help each-other because they know that the company won't.
    Good, affordable food nearby with a decent variety and the ability to call most places in advance.

Cons

For most people there's a half hour lunch break (giving you appx 10 minutes to clock out and walk to the store for food, 10 minutes to order your food if you didn't call ahead of time [because all your co-workers are ordering as well] and eat it, and 10 minutes to get back and clock back in before going back to work; less time if you want to smoke a cigarette because lets be honest, it's a stressful work environment.
    Occurance system makes every employee wonder how close you are to a write up or to being fired because when we were told to look up our occurances online, they were never properly updated.
    Stressful work environment, because there are quotas that need to be met and you don't want to be caught in the middle of a line moving slowly.
    NO PROPER TRAINING; on your first day, regardless of whether you're dressed in a suit because you're there for an in person interview, you're gonna likely end up working on the line, which means you get a 3 minute explanation of where you're gonna be put and what you have to do, and then left on your own for the rest of the day to keep up with the line. If not for co-workers who look out for each other, keeping up with the line is near impossible on your first day, and god forbid you forget 1 screw.
    Employee shuffling; When people are absent from work they fill in the gap in the line, obviously, but this means either you know the station you're changed to (because eventually you WILL be moved around) or you learn it in minutes and keep up with the line. Again, no proper training, just a quick explanation and leaving you on your own.
    Updating issues; Many times processes, instructions and parts will change, and all will be done in an attempt to make things better all around, but the written instructions that are at the station rarely get updated so if you don't know all the changes, they aren't much help.
    Empty Promises; promises of advancement denied due to favoritism, delays in employee promotions from 3 months, to 6, to a year; and any positive change that people look forward to is constantly delayed. How's that new employee bot farm guys?
    Stubborn ignorant leadership; You quickly learn who to talk to about problems because certain people won't do anything to fix them, they just let you flounder around on your own until the right person says "hey, this isn't right, we need to do something about it"

Advice to Management

To Supervisors: I know you all have a rough job and makerbot has guidelines that it needs to follow that aren't your fault, and it's stressful but the employees all look out for each other and work with one another to make a better, more enjoyable environment. If you looked out for them, sat down and talked WITH them rather than AT them like a real person rather than like your job position, they would look out for you as well, be more accepting and understanding of change and news regardless of whether it's positive or negative and they would help out more.

To Management: Constantly changing processes and how things are done doesn't make things faster immediately, allow for employee training and let them have time to get used to a process so they can retain the information. Then things will run faster and employees won't be stressed about whether or not they can keep up; because nobody wants to be written up for poor work performance in a station they are just learning.

To Corporate: Stop changing policies in the employee handbook unless you're gonna give more direct and understandable explanations as to what those changes are and mean. A newsletter given out to employees would help provide updated information on what happens in the company for employees who are interested, and would help keep people informed. Stop giving your life stories ad company meetings and barely anyone cares about financial reports, if they did they could likely look it up online (if you post it or email it to us) rather than waste company time and employee time with that, give relevant information to the employees and tell them things that are actually important to THEM rather than just citing numbers that nobody is paying attention to. Be more personable like the former ceo's they made the employees -even the lowest ranked ones- feel valued, feel important, feel like they mattered, and if you look at the negative reviews of your company there IS A REASON, talk to people to find out while they're unhappy while they're there rather than looking these up after it's too late, you have plenty of people working for you who are still unhappy.

When an employee is happy, they work harder, they're more attentive to detail, they enjoy being at work and look forward to it. When they aren't they do the bare minimum and are only their for their paycheck. Make makerbot a company that makes it's workers happy and you'll be a lot more successful in general, there's a lot of hidden talent that goes to waste because nobody cares about the employees. Use it rather than let it go to waste until they leave.

Will make you think "Am I crazy?"

Current Employee - Support Agent
    Current Employee - Support Agent

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome co-workers. It's amazing how awful environments birth such comradely.

Access to 3D printers, but not as much as there should be.

The sunset park location...you will find the BEST Mexican food of your life.

Pretty good wi-fi--I mean how else are you going to watch buzzfeed videos because...let's face it--you're gonna stop caring 3-6 months in. (I'll put a Men's Warehouse stamp on that)

I'd like to think that regardless of which department you work in, you will receive world-class, first hand knowledge on how not to run a department or company. I mean wow, just...wow.

Great stories to tell at social gatherings. I can write an entire show about working at MakerBot...it's the stuff shows like Dilbert and The office is made of!

It's the kind of place where you figure out what you really want to do in life.

GIFS

Cons

Zero communication. I mean zero. To the point where any question of substance related to your job is basically answered as such:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not kidding. The level of indifference you're met with when you're trying to make helpful suggestions or offer solutions...(to the most remedial of issues), defies logic. You will have an existential crisis.

There are too many directors,VPs, managers. Who all focus on all the wrong things. Managers and directors who just don't know how to talk to you so they don't. Little to no follow-up on meaningful projects. Everything is a mess, there's no structure or long term plan for anything that will actually ***BENEFIT THE CUSTOMER/END USER.

Zero training, inefficient infrastructure, from HR to the systems we use to get things done... Welcome to amateur hour. It's like watching the worst, most cringe worth improv ever.

No advancement unless you've been there forever and that's only because...gee...idk SO MANY PEOPLE GOT LAID OFF OR LEAVE THE COMPANY! At this point, the internal monthly company newsletter should be called "Guess who left?"

No career paths, no investment in employee growth. Nothing, just go get your paycheck.

Advice to Management

Read glassdoor reviews. Don't fabricate employee reviews. Listen to your employees, do everything you can to make them happy. Your people are your resource...but you must realize your employees are people, not numbers, not data--people.

If all else fails...

Quit. You're awful.

Terrible place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Makerbot

Pros

The technology is amazing, the coworkers are great and the fourth generation printers really make you proud.

Cons

-compensation is terrible
    -HR is collective group of idiots
    -benefits package is a joke
    -management lack the skills to turn the company around

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees, we would love to help. Some of us actually love the company. RAISE THE PAY, it's comical that the new CEO doesn't think that higher wages will keep current employees.

Engineer

Current Employee - Engineer in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Makerbot (More than a year)

Pros

Good company to gain experience and develop your skills. Fun to work around 3D printers. You are encouraged to try things and I enjoy coming to work everyday.

Cons

The decision making skills of management are questionable. The company is spread out and it is hard to feel like a team at times.

Advice to Management

Centralize the company more instead of having it spread out over several locations. Put your focus on making quality products rather than rushing stuff out the door. Marketing is great, but word spreads fast about a mediocre product these days. Developing a truly good product will essentially market itself. Consumers have never been better informed.

racist environment

I worked at Makerbot

Pros

Paid lunch, decent location, free bot.

Cons

A bunch of hippie racist geeks, don't turn your back for a second.

Advice to Management

Get real.

Learn what you can then leave

I worked at Makerbot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn a lot about 3D printing
    Smart Co-workers
    Great job opportunities when you leave
    Free access to 3D printers

Cons

Horrible decisions from management
    Pay is way below average
    Products are rushed out the door
    Advancement is based on your who your family/friends are

Advice to Management

Too late for advice. Your demise is already at hand.

Not worth it anymore

Current Employee - Engineer in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-25 cent vending machines at the factory
    -Young environment full of great talent
    -3d printers everywhere for your use

Cons

-Horrific management
    -HR. Everything about them.
    -No upward movement unless you're best buddies with your boss' boss' boss.
    -Compensation is awful. The new CEO, Jonathan Jaglom tried to explain that a lot of research went into figuring out market average and paying at around that level. No. Just no. Not even close, sorry buddy. You're ~$35k away from where my market average is for my education level and years of experience.

Advice to Management

Do some real research on what people should be paid and you might retain people for more than a year. People only work at MakerBot now for the company name on the resume. Too bad the name MakerBot won't matter within a few years.

I guess they're trying to shut it down.

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Makerbot

Pros

Some of the most intelligent people I've ever met. The engineers and software guys pulled a miracle patching a product that wasn't finished.

Cons

CEO,

Let me first talk about some things that were completely not your fault. The only reason why Makerbot was able to grow to the point that it did, pre-Stratasys, was because they took a technology perfected by the open-source crowd, repackaged it, and called their creation. It quickly became apparent that those in charge had no idea what they were doing when creating printers that were truly their own: the 5th generations. If the 5th gens were Makerbot's first offerings to the public, Stratasys would have easily seen no future for this company.

This needs to be clear: the performance of these printers are not the fault of the engineers. They were rushed by a small group who need to line their wallets ASAP and run out the door before people realized that they've been scammed. Given the adequate time to work on projects, they have created really great stuff.

Now onto you. On the first day that you met us, you told us, "I must earn my place here." First of all, your speech was bad. No one needed to know about your personal life. We needed to know how you would help us fix this mess.

Well good job! You managed to make every single employee hate you during the first few weeks that you've been here! If you're sitting in your office right now, look out to the office floor. Everyone you see hates you. You got rid of their friends, and with the funny little clause in our contracts that allows you to fire anyone for no reason, there really isn't any reason to like you. Do you really believe that getting rid of the people who were here working on solutions to the problems created by upper management was the best idea? Of course getting rid of 100 employees will save you money, but that is short term. You also got rid of all their knowledge. The people who left this company have created companies of their own, which shows you the potential that this company has been leaking out. You now have to spend time retraining your new employees.

Who are these employees? The low paid interns that are coming in very soon! The timing couldn't be more right. Almost like some crazy coincidence. What's left now is a concentration of people in upper management who created this mess in the first place, a group of interns who have to play catch up, and a few knowledgable employees who are forced to make the worst decisions for the company. If saving money was your goal, why not fire those in upper management responsible for the misguidance, and send guys from Stratasys to take over? They are the highest paid by the way, and really is a no-brainer.

If you try to put this all together, and make sense of it, it only leads to one plausible explanation. This is just my opinion since I am not part of the board, and know nothing of what they've planned. If this is actually what's going on, then I guess I told you so.

You are the fall guy they chose.

Seriously? A guy with a sales background? It didn't make you think for a second that something is a little weird when they offered the position to you? They needed someone to make more bad decisions to drive Makerbot further into the ground, ultimately to shut it down, and they've made a great choice. You've lost the confidence of your whole workforce, and even worse, the customers. The company didn't need to an expert in sales. The sales department proved that they are elite. When you can convince people to buy a $3000 paperweight, you're a good salesman. What this company needed was an engineer as a CEO who understands the process, and not rush something that isn't finished, yet.

When they're done with you, I guess they'll send you to their dunce corner, AKA Bold Machines. I've learned that people have been calling that team "The Expendables." It's quite fitting actually.

I want to wish all those who were affected by this the best because we all know they don't really mean it in those weekly emails with the names of those who leave. I would bet that it might even feel like a minor inconvenience to whoever is writing those that day.

Two more things.
    SSYS has had some relatively, but oddly, good performance on the market earlier this week compared to the trend of previous weeks, and it suddenly dipped the day before the massive layoffs. Curious isn't it?

Every review here that says "growing pains" is written by someone in upper management.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves.

10. Started from the bottom...

I worked at Makerbot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I started it was an amazing place to be..As it grew we all saw the direction it was going..ca.2011....it went corporate, some got paid. And we rode it out as far as we could...all hail tech!!!?

Cons

Its not what you know..it's who you know...:(

Advice to Management

It's too late

"Retail Operator" was really a Brand Ambassador

Former Employee - Retail Operator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Retail Operator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Makerbot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was hired as an independent retail operator for Makerbot, stationed at Home Depot. The hours were very good, as I am not a morning person. Ample paid time off, paid lunches, healthy salary. The management was helpful when they could be, but mostly stayed out of my business. Was given access to many resources, including Lynda.com.

Cons

Very little training. Once I was trained, I was basically on my own, not hearing from anyone at the company (outside of daily form-letter style emails) for often weeks at a time. We were considered employees, but were paid out of the marketing budget, which ultimately ran dry. Was given 11 days notice before termination. Was not offered an interview for the regional position that replaced my job, despite expressing interest in growing with the company from the start. The only mention of any kind of Christmas gift or bonus was an invitation to a party that happened in another city 900 miles away. Basically, I felt forgotten and unappreciated. I worked very hard to make myself noticed in a large company, and went out of my way to help out others in my position. I also spent time on my own learning more about the product and the processes that go into using the product to its full potential. None of this was ever acknowledged, outside of the occasional pat on the back from my direct supervisor, who I saw twice in six months. One of these meetings was to tell me I was laid off, which was done in public, at the Makerbot "kiosk". The end of the Home Depot retail operators program was handled very poorly.

Advice to Management

Don't pay employees out of a pre-determined sum of money, and if you do, make it very clear that there is no room for advancement, and that this is a contract with an end date.

RSS Feed </> Embed