Makosi Reviews

27 reviews filtered by
4.8
Makosi CEO Darren Isaacs
Darren Isaacs

1. A great place to work. You get out what you put in, and then some.

Current Contractor - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Makosi as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I left the big banks to escape their paralyzing bureaucracy and to be rewarded for the work I put into my career. I was tired of being trapped in a pay scale that was restricted to my title and age.

Having only been working for Makosi for nine months, I can already see I made the right choice. They are small, have a flat origination, and are flexible. This allows them to truly take care of their employees. Your hard work will absolutely be recognized and rewarded.

Cons

Compensation packages in the consulting world versus the big banks are innately different for a variety of reasons. In a lot of ways it is like comparing apples and oranges, especially to someone who only worked for big banks with standard comp packages. Makosi is definitely willing to pay appropriately for the right talent, but it is important to understand the total package before signing anything.

Advice to Management

I do not see it being a problem now, but I worry that any growing firm will lose sight of their competitive advantage and try and be something they are not. Makosi is obviously successful, having passed the 10 year anniversary mark and survived the financial crisis, but it is important they stick to their bread and butter; high quality talent.

People and Opportunities

Current Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Makosi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

From working at several large tier 1 banks where you are merely a number on a spreadsheet, it was refreshing to have your opinions heard and given the opportunity to run with them. When surrounded by people who continue to push their own envelope and in turn push their role within the company you naturally step up your game.

Cons

It can seem daunting to go from an environment of defined expectations to a world of 'you make of it what you will'. So be willing to ask questions, develop yourself and grow. It's hard work but ultimately far more rewarding

Advice to Management

I'm excited to see and be involved with the developments coming down the pipe line

3. Great environment to grow

Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Makosi full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Makosi is great at looking after their employees and the leadership is very transparent in what direction they want to take the company. In my dealings with them they were very straight forward with remuneration and were helpful in preparing for client interviews as well.
    They're very open to your suggestions as an employee and will help you grow in the areas you are interested in.
    The company culture is great and so are the people. Plenty of time spent together outside of work hours, and they're also excellent at knowledgesharing between employees.
    In addition, they're also keen on making an impact on the community through various volunteering opportunities.

Cons

First project role can be hard to land as a newcomer, but after that it's smooth sailing.
    As a consulting firm, they cannot guarantee you the worklife balance you desire as this is up to the client, which is normal in the project world.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on getting the right people for the roles instead of simply filling them. It's the collective quality and matching personalities of Makosi employees that makes the company great!

5. Some great people and client work

Former Employee - Middle Office in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Middle Office in New York, NY

I worked at Makosi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked on great project with client. Learned about new regulations had lots of client feedback

The original internal staff were stellar including the owner Darren, Diana, and HR Sunaina.

Interesting work. Thrown in, learned a lot. Client respected Makosi and all of us

Young, Talented, Energetic staff members.

Cons

Project Duration was never clearly defined. I ended up staying onboard but I was always wondering if that could chance.

new blood isn't quite the same as it was a 1.5 years ago. Back and fourth with some of the guys within the internal team. Not as thorough follow ups as previous experience

Advice to Management

Clearly define project durations and maintain communication with people

6. Good opportunities, real good people

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Makosi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

accessible management team
    work life balance
    focus on fun

Cons

Long dates projects can become tiresome. Guess it beats not having a project...

Advice to Management

Stay focused on quality. It's worked so far.

7. high visibility of management, good communication

Current Contractor - Vice President
    Current Contractor - Vice President

I have been working at Makosi as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

some high profile opportunities if you have the background to deliver. competitive rates and subsidized benefits upon placement

Cons

relatively new firm. firm moving from staff aug to knowledge lead consultancy.

Advice to Management

develop your consultants to add expertise

8. Makosi set me up with the career of my dreams

Former Contractor - Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Makosi as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

- Competitive pay
    - Friendly staff
    - Opportunities with great companies

Cons

- Cumbersome timesheet submittal process

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

9. Makosi achieves success through relationships in which they invest time and energy to build, maintain and nurture.

Current Contractor - Derivative Ops, Assistant Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Derivative Ops, Assistant Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Makosi as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Expect challenging interviews at Makosi but if you clear the rigorous process they will work hard to advance your career. Although I was not hired on their first attempt to place me, they were encouraging and followed through with another opportunity which proved ideal. Once on a project, they made sure I was acquainted with other Makosi staff working at my location who could offer advice and guidance. Makosi made frequent contact to assess how the assignment was going and offered suggestions for improvement. They cultivate a supportive environment, offering a variety of benefits and career development programs. They sponsor frequent outings for fun but also for the opportunity to discuss assignments in a relaxed setting to make sure that their people are happy and the goals of the assignment are achieved. Makosi motivates their consultants by staying connected throughout the duration of the project.

Cons

Makosi is careful to select the right candidate for an assignment. The interview process is thorough which will disappoint many prospective candidates.

10. Great Company, Fun People, Good Assignments

Current Contractor - Collateral and Spreadsheet Guru in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Contractor - Collateral and Spreadsheet Guru in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Makosi as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great group of coworkers that are intelligent and hardworking.
    - Frequent company/social events where you meet other employees
    - Wide base of international assignments and opportunities.
    - Career flexibility to go from project to project.

Cons

-No cons other than website makes you list cons to submit review.

11. Makosi is a company led by inspirational people who recognise their staff for who they are and appreciate what they do.

Current Contractor - Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Makosi as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Makosi is not only a fun company to work for but they are very motivational and encouraging. They are attentive to their staff needs. Makosi is a very rewarding place to work for. Constantly offering staff opportunities to better themselves in various aspects of the industry.

Cons

Mandatory use of social media to enforce Makosi. I am more than happy to promote the Makosi brand, I just prefer to use my own methods of communication.

Makosi Photos